Recruitment agencies for foreigners - do they exist?

Shoeboat

In my experience, they are pretty dodgy and unprofessional. Unless they are sure they can make a quick profit off you, they likely won;t even answer your e-mails. They seek those candidates they want to pimp out, not collect a database of potential candidates.

Thanks for both replies.

I tend to agree with cgphuket as I have never heard of expats joining recruitment agencies and I've been here a while.

It was a Japanese friend who recommended I try, but I would imagine that, other than the locals, the Japanese are the most sought after foreigners.

Thanks for both replies.

I tend to agree with cgphuket as I have never heard of expats joining recruitment agencies and I've been here a while.

It was a Japanese friend who recommended I try, but I would imagine that, other than the locals, the Japanese are the most sought after foreigners.

Not for a French teacher! Or a Indian chef ;)

Most of the top recruitment firms (Korn Ferry, Heidrick & Struggles) etc. run their SE Asia operations out of Singapore. A close friend of mine is an senior client partner for KF and she occasionally visits Bangkok, but they have a minimal staffing level here. Even in Singapore, it's not always easy to get hired as an expat locally -- generally it's best to get posted from your home country (that's what I did for my S'pore positions). For lower level positions,, I would assume there are firms in BKK, but I still it would be difficult to get hired as a foreigner other than with very unique skills (or as a teacher).

Do you want a job in Thailand via an agency or do you want to work for an actual recruitment agency yourself?

Most involved in things like engineering are in KL or Singapore. Any in Thailand will deal with Thai locals and then from others it depends on their clients and what they want, of course

If someone is of no use to a recruitment company and sends in their details then don't expect a clamour to contact you and interview you. Simple. It's a business

• 3 years later...

There are sh*t loads of jobs for foreigners out there, without even using a recruitment agency. Logistics, eCommerce, marketing for large multinationals are constantly searching for people if you have some experience in this fields.

There are many recruitment agencies who are professional, if you are not getting much feedback that is probably because you are not very employable. Why would they waste time, energy and relationships introducing people not correct or not up for the jobs they are recruiting for.

Try linkedin.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2014 at 12:10 PM, cgphuket said:

In my experience, they are pretty dodgy and unprofessional. Unless they are sure they can make a quick profit off you, they likely won;t even answer your e-mails. They seek those candidates they want to pimp out, not collect a database of potential candidates.

So just the same as employment agencies everywhere, then.

99.9% of the job offers in Thailand say "Thai National Only." Good luck with that. I think the stereo type is because they assume foreigners want tons of money for the same job a Thai national will work for less. This is not true. Expats who live in Thailand are usually happy to settle for a local wage.

6 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Expats who live in Thailand are usually happy to settle for a local wage.

Really?

My wife makes a good wage for a Thai her age, but I certainly wouldn't want to be earning that amount if I was on my own.