Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that is described of someone using AdSense or affiliate marketing may be true. The topic is here is: Why should or should not Thailand offer such persons a long-term visa/extension to remain in Thailand when such persons repeatedly state that they do nothing that directly benefits Thailand in the manner that Thailand has repeatedly stated are its economic priorities?

What do retirees do to benefit Thailand? Why should Thailand offer such persons a long term visa/extension?

Why should they? Beats me -- but they do.

"What do retirees do to benefit Thailand? Why should Thailand offer such persons a long term visa/extension?"

Retirees are good for me. As a whole they make me (an average- to decent-looking man by western standards) look extremely attractive, like a rock star.

cheesy.gif

You still don't get it? Why would a country create a visa class for a small minority of people who don't add much value to the country. 

You mean like retirees? Good question.

What makes retirees different from online workers, other than their age?

The main difference is that the retirees follow the law, and don't do any illegal work

You still don't get it? Why would a country create a visa class for a small minority of people who don't add much value to the country. 

The main difference is that the retirees follow the law, and don't do any illegal work

Nor do online workers, since online work or telecommuting is not illegal. Again, another full of crap bush lawyer who thinks he knows everything but actually knows nothing.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

Nor do online workers, since online work or telecommuting is not illegal. Again, another full of crap bush lawyer who thinks he knows everything but actually knows nothing.

That thread is 8 years old. 

All that is described of someone using AdSense or affiliate marketing may be true. The topic is here is: Why should or should not Thailand offer such persons a long-term visa/extension to remain in Thailand when such persons repeatedly state that they do nothing that directly benefits Thailand in the manner that Thailand has repeatedly stated are its economic priorities?

What do retirees do to benefit Thailand? Why should Thailand offer such persons a long term visa/extension?

Why should they? Beats me -- but they do.

So you admit your question is  a complete non-sequitur then? That's great, kindly shut your pie-hole.

I admit nothing. It is not my purpose to explain why the Thai government does something. I only try to offer some reasonably cogent explanation as to why the Thai government doesn't do something.

I admit nothing. It is not my purpose to explain why the Thai government does something. I only try to offer some reasonably cogent explanation as to why the Thai government doesn't do something.

Oh great now you've appointed yourself as the leading expert on why the Thai government doesn't do things, that's an open ended subject to speculate on you can drone away for hours.

please close the door when you leave

How old are you? 5?

I personally have a Non-B, so I do not have a vested interest in this.

But, in the past few weeks, ever since this "crackdown" that first targeted In/Out visa exemptions and now ED visas was first announced, there has been a massive amount of posts on here along the lines of "I have a Non-B/Non-O/Elite Card, so this does not concern me. This is Thailand and they make their own rules." The subtext being "Good riddance."

I am not asking anyone to start a petition to create a new type of visa for freelancers or whatever, but you all should observe common decency. If you're a retiree or married to a Thai and, suddenly, the Thai government decided to ask you to deposit 2,000,000 baht in a bank account, how would you feel if half the members on this forum started cheering? How would you react if, when you asked questions about this new rule, people said "Hey buddy, this is Thailand, they make their own rules... time to go home!"?

• Like 2

Thailand is making it difficult for us to stay here so its time to wave goodbye. My online work will not suffer, but I spend about 700k baht yearly in Thailand . That money will now be spent in Cambodia .

• Like 1

Thailand is making it difficult for us to stay here so its time to wave goodbye. My online work will not suffer, but I spend about 700k baht yearly in Thailand . That money will now be spent in Cambodia .

Out of interest what will you spend it on in Cambodia?

Are there clubs there where us younger guys can have fun?

I've never heard anyone talk about any city in Cambodia being the same standard for a young expat to have fun in as Bangkok, Hong Kong or Singapore.

I get the impression Cambodia is a backwater by comparison and would be boring as all hell for anyone who likes modern cities and modern conveniences.

How old are you? 5?

But, in the past few weeks, ever since this "crackdown" that first targeted In/Out visa exemptions and now ED visas was first announced, there has been a massive amount of posts on here along the lines of "I have a Non-B/Non-O/Elite Card, so this does not concern me. This is Thailand and they make their own rules." The subtext being "Good riddance."

I am not asking anyone to start a petition to create a new type of visa for freelancers or whatever, but you all should observe common decency. If you're a retiree or married to a Thai and, suddenly, the Thai government decided to ask you to deposit 2,000,000 baht in a bank account, how would you feel if half the members on this forum started cheering? How would you react if, when you asked questions about this new rule, people said "Hey buddy, this is Thailand, they make their own rules... time to go home!"?

There are a few people here who think that because they were only ever able to make money working at a manual job for 40+ years and had to pay a load of it in tax, that anyone who can potentially go from near zero to 100 million in less than 5 years and never pay tax is somehow a bad person. 

Jealousy I call it.  

• Like 1

How old are you? 5?

There are a few people here who think that because they were only ever able to make money working at a manual job for 40+ years and had to pay a load of it in tax, that anyone who can potentially go from near zero to 100 million in less than 5 years and never pay tax is somehow a bad person. 

Jealousy I call it.  

If someone that makes 100 million is not paying taxes to help pay for the services that the government provides I wouldnt call him a bad person. I'd call him a criminal!

How old are you? 5?

and this concerns me how?

How old are you? 5?

Jealousy I call it.  

If someone that makes 100 million is not paying taxes to help pay for the services that the government provides I wouldnt call him a bad person. I'd call him a criminal!

We obviously come from very different worlds.

In my country the Government makes most of it's money from Corporate Tax and Land Sales.     They also quite often have a budget surplus despite running a very modern country.

Income tax is very low and there is no income tax on income from overseas, so you find ways to invoice in cyberspace and keep the money offshore.

No capital gains tax when your investments come good.

Nothing illegal about it, just sound financial sense to limit your exposure to tax.  

• Like 1

In my country the Government makes most of it's money from Corporate Tax and Land Sales.     They also quite often have a budget surplus despite running a very modern country.

Income tax is very low and there is no income tax on income from overseas, so you find ways to invoice in cyberspace and keep the money offshore.

Nothing illegal about it, just sound financial sense to limit your exposure to tax.  

this is called Thaivisa not Yourcountryvisa. and if there is no tax on income earned offshore, why do you have to keep it offshore?

I've never heard anyone talk about any city in Cambodia being the same standard for a young expat to have fun in as Bangkok, Hong Kong or Singapore.

I get the impression Cambodia is a backwater by comparison and would be boring as all hell for anyone who likes modern cities and modern conveniences.

700k will cover my living expenses, and I am not interested in wasting my money in clubs or living in a bar all night.

I have lived in Phnom Penh before so I know what the city offers. Good, cheap food, nightlife, friendly locals that understand English, there's many reasons for me to choose PP. No it's not Bangkok, for some people that is a good thing.

this is called Thaivisa not Yourcountryvisa. and if there is no tax on income earned offshore, why do you have to keep it offshore?

You don't have to keep it offshore, but seeing as its already in an account why not just leave it there.    You can of course bring it all into your country assuming they don't charge tax on your own money coming in (no country should).   But easier to leave it in cyberspace, which is where 80% of my financial transactions occur anyway.

Don't you have a Swiss bank account or money in any offshore accounts?

You don't have to keep it offshore, but seeing as its already in an account why not just leave it there.    You can of course bring it all into your country assuming they don't charge tax on your own money coming in (no country should).   But easier to leave it in cyberspace, which is where 80% of my financial transactions occur anyway.

every country should. its income.  why would I have offshore accounts?

every country should. its income.  why would I have offshore accounts?

For the same reason anyone has offshore accounts.   

The object is to stay rich and to get richer.   

Rich people good, richer people better.   

seancbk

"There are a few people here who think that because they were only ever able to make money working at a manual job for 40+ years and had to pay a load of it in tax, that anyone who can potentially go from near zero to 100 million in less than 5 years and never pay tax is somehow a bad person."

You don't happen to be a teacher do you? I will sign up for your courses for sure!

seancbk

"There are a few people here who think that because they were only ever able to make money working at a manual job for 40+ years and had to pay a load of it in tax, that anyone who can potentially go from near zero to 100 million in less than 5 years and never pay tax is somehow a bad person."

You don't happen to be a teacher do you? I will sign up for your courses for sure!

No disrespect to teachers, but you'd never catch me being a teacher.   

Cambodia is a backwater alright.

You should have seen Thailand a few decades ago.

But Cambodia is catching up very quickly - thanks to a big helping hand from Thailand. 

And there is a very groovy club scene emerging...

• Like 1

seancbk

No disrespect to teachers, but you'd never catch me being a teacher.   

I think @squarethecircle means do you run webinars like many of the online gurus, promoting and teaching your own course on how to make money online. I would guess you don't.

Me? I was a school teacher back before smartphones and Facebook. And it was hard enough then - you'd never catch me teaching these days. Except I thought about ESL teaching in the 3rd world until reality dawned. :-)