Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

I was one who responded to the semi-retired romance novel author only because he said why would he want to have 4 Thais sitting around doing nothing ... and I responded if you did have 4 Thais sitting around, if they were were media/journalism graduates, why would you not be able to do something with them? Maybe get some contract work instead of a company hiring some in-house copy editor.

maybe hire 4 good looking young ladies and employ them as "french maids" while your writing and let them dust and polish things in the house ?... but then again not sure how much writing you would get done, but he might get some new ideas for "romance" novels biggrin.png

"her bodice heaved, barely containing her sweat laden breasts"

you get the idea  thumbsup.gif 

Sounds like a good plan

• Like 1

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one who responded to the semi-retired romance novel author only because he said why would he want to have 4 Thais sitting around doing nothing ... and I responded if you did have 4 Thais sitting around, if they were were media/journalism graduates, why would you not be able to do something with them? Maybe get some contract work instead of a company hiring some in-house copy editor.

maybe hire 4 good looking young ladies and employ them as "french maids" while your writing and let them dust and polish things in the house ?... but then again not sure how much writing you would get done, but he might get some new ideas for "romance" novels biggrin.png

Good idea, employ 4 bar girls full time :)

This is an attractive idea, but I'm not sure my girlfriend of four years would be all that impressed tongue.png

Ok Mr smarty pants, what is the solution then ?,

you have been reading the same thing from huge amounts of people ie start a business and hire people thing, because thats one of the few options you have and setting a business up in Thailand is relatively simple and not that expensive

I suspect your baffled simply becasue you will not read or accept what is written as fact, but once again let me summerise it for you the legal options so your not so baffled:

1. set up a limited company and employ people

2. Find a job

3 possible options through a BOI set up where they take some like 30% off you (JL crab knows about this)

4 Representative office ( maybe) THB 5.0 million

What you got ?

I don't get it, it's not that complicated to understand that working online on your own is worlds apart from managing a business with employees. While a graphist may set up an agency, what about a writer, a trader, a consultant, online marketer, etc? If they want to go the company way, they just have to completely change their job. 

Would you answer that the toyota dealer is at the end of the soi to someone who is asking you where is the bicycle shop?

Edited by pistachios
  • Like 2

This is an attractive idea, but I'm not sure my girlfriend of four years would be all that impressed tongue.png

I sure you will let her join in wont you ?.... more "scenes" for your new romantic novels me thinks...biggrin.png

"she came home early that day from the shops, and as she opened the door, she was confronted by her long time boy friend gently caressing, the french maids sweat laden breasts, she felt anger, but this was quickly replaced by a warn senstation in her loins..........................."  

your the romance writer you can finish the rest laugh.png 

• Like 1

you have been reading the same thing from huge amounts of people ie start a business and hire people thing, because thats one of the few options you have and setting a business up in Thailand is relatively simple and not that expensive

I suspect your baffled simply becasue you will not read or accept what is written as fact, but once again let me summerise it for you the legal options so your not so baffled:

2. Find a job

3 possible options through a BOI set up where they take some like 30% off you (JL crab knows about this)

What you got ?

I don't get it, it's not that complicated to understand that working online on your own is worlds apart from managing a business with employees. While a graphist may set up an agency, what about a writer, a trader, a consultant, online marketer, etc? If they want to go the company way, they just have to completely change their job. 

Would you answer that the toyota dealer is at the end of the soi to someone who is asking you where is the bicycle shop?

Whether you get it or not is irrelevant... as it stands at the moment the 4 or 5 options listed above are all you got, you can sit and debate things till the cows come home, aint going to change a thing, so the only way forward is use one of the options listed and do it legally, or do it illegally and possibly get busted on some visa thing or overstay and get banned from Thailand... thats everyones own personal choice what they do

If your good at what you do, why not set up a company and target local market as well. People underestimate how much locals will pay for good work. This way it could create a few opportunities and sort out the visa situation.

The hurdles there are:

* Unless you open as a BOI (Board of Investment, http://www.boi.go.th/) or amity company (U.S. citizens only), you can only own 49% of the company. Rest of the company must be owned by Thais.

* A minimum of 2M baht registered capital

* For a work permit for a foreigner, a minimum on four Thais working in the company at a registered office

It's quite a bit of $$$ to set up just for a one man band and you end up with an office and four Thai employees you don't need. 

I beleive its possible to take capital out of the business once its set up??

Sure, it doesn't even have to be cash. Could even be some IP rights with a value pulled out of thin air. I'm not sure exactly when it needs to be paid up, but I guess BOI would require it to be in hard currency and might check up on it later. I'm not sure if Thailand has rules on if a company must be declared bankrupt if the capital remaining in the company drops below a certain level. Those in the know, please feel free to share.

If I remember correctly, the 51% that the Thais must own in case of a non-BOI company must be ponied up by the Thais. Just over 1M. And again if memory serves, there need to be three Thais, although this might already be eased ? I remember reading something in TVF not so long ago.

The largest hassle is the four Thais and office. Simple solution would be to allow one work permit for the director who owns the 49% and the next ones would start with the 4 Thai rules. That would allow "mom&pop" style shops and with the co-operation of immigration in allowing such income to be counted when applying for PR/citizenship would clear the path for the foreigner part of the married couple to gain permanent residence in Thailand.

Edited by DrTuner

2. Find a job

What you got ?

If there is no visa category that fits you then the problem is with you.

I would love to live and work in the US, I have before. I left when my visa expired and nowadays I do not qualify, and I most certainly don't have what it takes to buy myself in (except perhaps via Mexico).

Do I rant and rave about it - certainly not, I just accept that I cannot have what I want.

2. Find a job

What you got ?

Whether you get it or not is irrelevant... as it stands at the moment the 4 or 5 options listed above are all you got, you can sit and debate things till the cows come home, aint going to change a thing, so the only way forward is use one of the options listed and do it legally, or do it illegally and possibly get busted on some visa thing or overstay and get banned from Thailand... thats everyones own personal choice what they do

You are still making the same logical mistake. I feel that I'm in the twilight zone. Or maybe you are trolling?

Most of your options require an online worker to stop his current activities and do something completely different. Therefore they are not options to reside in Thailand while being an online worker. They are just options to reside in Thailand. It's not rocket science.

For those who want to keep their occupation, contrary to what you think, I don't see a bright future for them in Thailand. Stay legally with an ED visa, marriage visa or elite card and work illegally under the radar, or move.

The only possible option that I see is to use a service of a company, that you would pay a certain amount per month, and that will in exchange provide you with a salary and a work permit minus a commission. I dont know if it exists and it would certainly be on the border of legality anyway. The BOI setup may be viable but it's restricted to certain type of activities and 30% of all your bills in exchange for a work permit would be something hard to swallow I guess.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a group of expat authors living in Thailand, I wonder what they do to stay legal?

I know one of them, well know for his humoristic cartoons, and he has a work permit.

If he has a work permit then in all likelihood he has a media visa (type M), that also includes a work permit with it. All he has to do is be published a minimum of 3 times a year, and have his publisher sign a letter stating his association with the publisher, with no concern as to where in the world he publishes, and he has to pay his Thai taxes. Thailand is very good to holders of media visas, but it is not an easy visa to get, you do have to be a working media professional, be it a journalist, camera operator, photojournalist, editor, website administrator, dealing with something that benefits Thailand (with a minimum of unique hits monthly), or a working published author, that gets published regularly. You also don't have to deal with Chang Wattana, and can use the one stop facility down town.  I've held a media visa for three years so far, and it is one of the best visas to hold, as it does include a work permit (that you in fact have to get first before they will give you the type M visa), but you can not scam it, you do have to be a working published media professional, paying your taxes. This visa is all done through the ministry of foreign affairs, and applied for online, with online renewal.

• Like 2

2. Find a job

What you got ?

You are still making the same logical mistake. I feel that I'm in the twilight zone. Or maybe you are trolling?

Most of your options require an online worker to stop his current activities and do something completely different. Therefore they are not options to reside in Thailand while being an online worker. They are just options to reside in Thailand. It's not rocket science.

For those who want to keep their occupation, contrary to what you think, I don't see a bright future for them in Thailand. Stay legally with an ED visa, marriage visa or elite card and work illegally under the radar, or move.

The only possible option that I see is to use a service of a company, that you would pay a certain amount per month, and that will in exchange provide you with a salary and a work permit minus a commission. I dont know if it exists and it would certainly be on the border of legality anyway. The BOI setup may be viable but it's restricted to certain type of activities and 30% of all your bills in exchange for a work permit would be something hard to swallow I guess.

My dear boy, you wouldnt know what logic was if it fell on you, and that old gambit nothing to say call someone a troll please... go back to sleep

but to respond to your point, the first one you have made, I might add, there are companies who will do excactly what your suggesting already and they will take 30 to 35% off you for the privillage of "working" for them

So after all your rhetortic this is all you have come up with as a legal avenue for an "on liner" ?

but lets add it to the list anyway.. Thats "5" take your pick..rolleyes.gif   

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a group of expat authors living in Thailand, I wonder what they do to stay legal?

I know one of them, well know for his humoristic cartoons, and he has a work permit.

Your friend must be quite the cartoonist if he is able to employ two/four Thai nationals in his "humoristic cartoons" company rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif>

If he isn't employing them then he doesn't have a work permit, or isn't self-employed.

There is no structure that allows a self-employed foreigner to have a work permit, even if he is more than willing to pay taxes.

Not true.  In all likelihood he has a media visa (type M), and does not have to set up any company, and doesn't have to hire any employees, and he does get a work permit with it.  I suggest you check out the visa published media professionals get to work legally in Thailand.

My dear boy, you wouldnt know what logic was if it fell on you, and that old gambit nothing to say call someone a troll please... go back to sleep

but to respond to your point, the first one you have made, I might add, there are companies who will do excactly what your suggesting already and they will take 30 to 35% off you for the privillage of "working" for them

So after all your rhetortic this is all you have come up with as a legal avenue for an "on liner" ?

but lets add it to the list anyway.. Thats "5" take your pick..rolleyes.gif   

Well if you don't want to admit that to stop being an online worker and starting a business or getting a job is not a valid option if someone wants to be an online worker (note the emphasis on the online worker part), then I can do nothing for you. And you have the audacity to talk about logic. Priceless clap2.gif

Anyway, back to the point, do you have a link for those companies?

2. Find a job

What you got ?

You still don't get it? Why would a country create a visa class for a small minority of people who don't add much value to the country. You argue against create a company and hiring thai people. So immediately you are not going to increase the availability of value added jobs for thai. You don't want to bring capital into the country because you don't have it or you say it's too "risky". You aren't going to increase a thai persons skills and move up the income chain. You claim you spend money but don't pay income tax so you aren't helping there.

Still don't get why you don't get a visa class of your own?

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

Anyway, back to the point, do you have a link for those companies?

This is being floated around here: http://iglu.in.th/work/. Note that it implies you'll have to work at the offices in Chiang Mai. That's not a freelancer, that's an employee. The location requirement most likely comes from having to have an address in the work permit.

I think this is their profile, so drop a PM if interested: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/206168-iglu/ . I'm not affiliated in any way, I googled it.

One of their posts on the forum mentions they are "an early stage start-up": http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/716087-back-end-java-programmer-wanted/#entry7644026 . I've no idea how BOI will respond if there's a company full of farangs, employing some as quasi freelancers. As long as it benefits Thailand, I suppose.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

ED Visa is although over. It is very hard to get one now, if their is still any chance. I have the feeling farangs not welcome anymore in Thailand. Xenophobia is rising.

Vietnam, Malaysia, Bali (Indonesia) or the Phillipines have much better conditions for us.

who is "us" ?

Xenophobia has nothing to with it, for years immigration has been slack on the enforcement of the rules by their own admission, and because people have been taking advantage of this "slackness" they have now decided to fully enforce the rules.... No xenophobia in that at all

us = the people about this thread here is. Go back to the beginning then you know it. I guess you didnt belong to this group of "us", regarding to your posts, maybe you are retired or married to a thai and not share OUR problems.

Xenophobia - its not only my opinion. You can read about Xenophobia in Thailand even in wikipedia already. Maybe you not so interested in politics, but if you would, you would know what i mean. The statements from some people in high position over the last years are clear enough - their are some forces in Thailand dislike any foreigners. Very common in Thailand is also the dislike of blacks and russians. In any western country we call such behavior xenophobic or rasism if a politican or anybody dislike a whole group of people. Maybe you like to close your eyes, but the reality is not so sweet anymore like before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Thailand

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/414000/xenophobia-no-solution

You still don't get it? Why would a country create a visa class for a small minority of people who don't add much value to the country. You argue against create a company and hiring thai people. So immediately you are not going to increase the availability of value added jobs for thai. You don't want to bring capital into the country because you don't have it or you say it's too "risky". You aren't going to increase a thai persons skills and move up the income chain. You claim you spend money but don't pay income tax so you aren't helping there.

OB

Please kindly point to any of my post where I said that there should be a visa accommodating the online workers.

Also, I am not arguing against creating a company and hiring people, I am repeating ad nauseam that this structure is incompatible with most online activities. 

I also didn't say bringing capital to the country was too risky or that I wanted it or not.

I also never claimed I was spending money or not paying income tax.

That's four erroneous assumption you gave me in a single post, that must be a record! If you were quoting the wrong post, apologies for the sarcastic tone wai2.gif

ED Visa is although over. It is very hard to get one now, if their is still any chance. I have the feeling farangs not welcome anymore in Thailand. Xenophobia is rising.

Vietnam, Malaysia, Bali (Indonesia) or the Phillipines have much better conditions for us.

who is "us" ?

Xenophobia has nothing to with it, for years immigration has been slack on the enforcement of the rules by their own admission, and because people have been taking advantage of this "slackness" they have now decided to fully enforce the rules.... No xenophobia in that at all

us = the people about this thread here is. Go back to the beginning then you know it. I guess you didnt belong to this group of "us", regarding to your posts, maybe you are retired or married to a thai and not share OUR problems.

Xenophobia - its not only my opinion. You can read about Xenophobia in Thailand even in wikipedia already. Maybe you not so interested in politics, but if you would, you would know what i mean. The statements from some people in high position over the last years are clear enough - their are some forces in Thailand dislike any foreigners. Very common in Thailand is also the dislike of blacks and russians. In any western country we call such behavior xenophobic or rasism if a politican or anybody dislike a whole group of people. Maybe you like to close your eyes, but the reality is not so sweet anymore like before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Thailand

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/414000/xenophobia-no-solution

I dont share your problems, and have no intention of "sharing" your problems and as stated before if Thailand became untenable for me for what ever reason, I would just move on... simple

I work here in a pretty good job and I am pretty well paid for my trouble, and after 14 years here I am yet to see this blatant xenophobia you talk about, is there xenophobia in Thailand one supposes there must be, there is xenophobia in every country in the world.. BTW dont believe eveyting you read on Wiki....theres a good chap

So not retired, yes married to a Thai lady and most certainly do not walk around with my eyes closed, and are very aware whats going on in Thailand for the most part

OB

Please kindly point to any of my post where I said that there should be a visa accommodating the online workers.
Also, I am not arguing against creating a company and hiring people, I am repeating ad nauseam that this structure is incompatible with most online activities. 
I also didn't say bringing capital to the country was too risky or that I wanted it or not.
I also never claimed I was spending money or not paying income tax.

That's four erroneous assumption you gave me in a single post, that must be a record! If you were quoting the wrong post, apologies for the sarcastic tone wai2.gif
Did I reply to the wrong post? I thought you were arguing there was no accommodations for online workers. When given options you said they were not suitable. I was pointing out why there are no options apart from those already given.

I've read too many of these tonight they are blending into each other.

OB

SP, it appears you have some hidden talent. However the ending wasn't so happy

" there was a knock n the door, and when he opened it he was confronted by the sight of four leather clad immigration police............"

I don't want to go any further

Toadie you really think I have talent.?.. maybe I should give up my O&G job and take up writing "articles" on line in a small condo in BKK, but i am not quite sure what visa I should apply for, what do you suggest ? with talent like mine they should give me a WP no questions asked, after all I would be paying VAT and contributing to building the Thai economy...they need me, but I want the 4 french maids with me, maybe I should start teaching English as well, what do you think ? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

" there was a knock n the door, and when he opened it he was confronted by the sight of four leather clad immigration police............"

Toadie you really think I have talent.?.. maybe I should give up my O&G job and take up writing "articles" on line in a small condo in BKK, but i am not quite sure what visa I should apply for, what do you suggest ? with talent like mine they should give me a WP no questions asked, after all I would be paying VAT and contributing to building the Thai economy...they need me, but I want the 4 french maids with me, maybe I should start teaching English as well, what do you think ? thumbsup.gif
Well, I was hoping to see you follow up with what happens next after the four leather clad immigration police turn up.....

I'll judge you on one more piece of writing in this story before suggesting you give up your O&G job. Maybe you could get an ED visa to off that bloke whatshisname? Edited by mrtoad

Well, I was hoping to see you follow up with what happens next after the four leather clad immigration police turn up.....

I'll judge you on one more piece of writing in this story before suggesting you give up your O&G job. Maybe you could get an ED visa to off that bloke whatshisname?

continuation of the story line ? are we allowed to refer to a certain a furry animal which shall remain nameless on TV these days ? tongue.png  

thanks for your suggestion on the Ed visa, I heard there is a very good school advertised on TV ?

".....carrying a TGAU, he recoiled in horror and his mind was racing, this cant be happening, he thought to himself, I am only a farang day trader and my overstay is only 9 months. One of the leather clad immigration officer's gently stroked the hard geometric lines of the TGAU, and in his eyes you could see the glint of anticipation.........." 

" a sound of vehicle bell could be heard in the distance, he thought to himself "could that be a Baht Bus, that I can run to?" The officers seemed pre occupied, with the TGAU, and this was a chance to break free and run to the baht bus. As he scrambled onto the safety of said chariot, he caught in the corner of his eye, a man with a big grin................"

".....carrying a TGAU, he recoiled in horror and his mind was racing, this cant be happening, he thought to himself, I am only a farang day trader and my overstay is only 9 months. One of the leather clad immigration officer's gently stroked the hard geometric lines of the TGAU, and in his eyes you could see the glint of anticipation.........." 

" a sound of vehicle bell could be heard in the distance, he thought to himself "could that be a Baht Bus, that I can run to?" The officers seemed pre occupied, with the TGAU, and this was a chance to break free and run to the baht bus. As he scrambled onto the safety of said chariot, he caught in the corner of his eye, a man with a big grin................"

"he stared at the man with a hint of recognition, and thought to himself, I am sure this man is a local farang food critic, his thoughts were interrupted as he noticed the man with the grinning face was looking over his shoulder, as he turned he could see the leather clad immigration officers closing in rapidly on the baht bus, TGAU still him hand, and being waved in the air like some phallic symbol of war, what do I do, What do I do, as the panic set in, it was then he noticed out of the corner of eye, a very statuesque looking Thai lady with sweat dripping between her surgically enhanced busom,beckoning him into a narrow soi just out of sight of the marauding immigration officers, without a second thought he jumped from the baht bus, knocking hot  cheap coffee all over the grinning man and disappeared into the soi..................."

• Like 1