Online freelancer, long stay in Thailand

please close the door when you leave

How old are you? 5?

I personally have a Non-B, so I do not have a vested interest in this.

But, in the past few weeks, ever since this "crackdown" that first targeted In/Out visa exemptions and now ED visas was first announced, there has been a massive amount of posts on here along the lines of "I have a Non-B/Non-O/Elite Card, so this does not concern me. This is Thailand and they make their own rules." The subtext being "Good riddance."

I am not asking anyone to start a petition to create a new type of visa for freelancers or whatever, but you all should observe common decency. If you're a retiree or married to a Thai and, suddenly, the Thai government decided to ask you to deposit 2,000,000 baht in a bank account, how would you feel if half the members on this forum started cheering? How would you react if, when you asked questions about this new rule, people said "Hey buddy, this is Thailand, they make their own rules... time to go home!"?

There are a few people here who think that because they were only ever able to make money working at a manual job for 40+ years and had to pay a load of it in tax, that anyone who can potentially go from near zero to 100 million in less than 5 years and never pay tax is somehow a bad person. 

Jealousy I call it.  

If someone that makes 100 million is not paying taxes to help pay for the services that the government provides I wouldnt call him a bad person. I'd call him a criminal!

By far the greatest loss of life to human kind on earth is not caused by disease or war. It is caused by democide - death by government.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a golden opportunity for a Thai company to be set up legally and offer all these online workers the chance to do their thing legally in Thailand for a small fee.  If there are as many as people say and the crackdown continues, it'd be a nice little earner.  I'll take a small fee for the copyright of the idea smile.png

A. You cannot copyright an idea.

B. I have suggested way back that someone should work with a hotel which already has hundreds of Thai employees on the payroll to set-up this kind of operation given the 4:1 requirement Thai:farang employees is the constraining factor.

Your hotel idea is not bad at all. 

It makes a hell of a lot of sense. Very logical.  

By far the greatest loss of life to human kind on earth is not caused by disease or war. It is caused by democide - death by government.

try life without it. you will find far more death by anarchy than governments ever caused.

it would seem that similar to the thai government many on this board cannot grasp non-traditional work models.

It can't grasp traditional work models and productivity is a natural anathema to it.

i'll put my career highlights up against yours anytime 

I admit nothing. It is not my purpose to explain why the Thai government does something. I only try to offer some reasonably cogent explanation as to why the Thai government doesn't do something.

Oh great now you've appointed yourself as the leading expert on why the Thai government doesn't do things, that's an open ended subject to speculate on you can drone away for hours.

It's an interesting niche -- there already are enough experts on here as to what the Thai government doesn't do but should do.

try life without it. you will find far more death by anarchy than governments ever caused.

Look up "democide".

Then look up "anarchy" as in the political system. 

And then look up "government" - its latin definition in particular.

Bloody Google....education at your finger tips!

Look up "democide".

no need. the law of the jungle causes far more death than any government

You don't have to keep it offshore, but seeing as its already in an account why not just leave it there.    You can of course bring it all into your country assuming they don't charge tax on your own money coming in (no country should).   But easier to leave it in cyberspace, which is where 80% of my financial transactions occur anyway.

Don't you have a Swiss bank account or money in any offshore accounts?

What a load of twaddle. The Swiss "Offshore" banking business went out of business years ago due to tight regulation forced upon it by the US and EU.

Obviously you're either lying of a complete fool.

If you do have any significant money Offshore, which I doubt. It'll be in Paypal or Bitcoins.

100M USD My %$$%^^ time to wake up from your wet dream Buddy. What a joke and you have visa problems. Clown of the year.

• Like 1

Look up "democide".

According to academics democide has claimed around 260 million lives in the 20th C.

And that's not including wars. 

Anarchy, the political system, was a victim of violence and certainly not the cause of it. Anarchy is just self rule, within a community.  Examples occurred in the North of Italy, Spain and Greece. Such a threat to the parasitic class where these communities, that for the first time in history, fascist, communists and liberal democracies all joined hands to violently put an end to them.

And through propaganda even the word "anarchy" is used improperly to describe chaos and mayhem. And nothing could be further from the truth.    

And when you use the word government bear in mind what is actually means - from the latin guberno, govern = control. Mente, ment, mens = mind. Government = Mind Control.

You may also find one of ( I think ) Trotsky's terms, of interest : "useful idiot". A supporter and promoter of ideas that are diametrically opposed to his own benefit and those of his class.   

According to academics democide has claimed around 260 million lives in the 20th C.

Anarchy, the political system, was a victim of violence and certainly not the cause of it. Anarchy is just self rule, within a community.  Examples occurred in the North of Italy, Spain and Greece. Such a threat to the parasitic class where these communities, that for the first time in history, fascist, communists and liberal democracies all joined hands to violently put an end to them.

And through propaganda even the word "anarchy" is used improperly to describe chaos and mayhem. And nothing could be further from the truth.    

And when you use the word government bear in mind what is actually means - from the latin guberno, govern = control. Mente, ment, mens = mind. Government = Mind Control.

You may also find one of ( I think ) Trotsky's terms, of interest : "useful idiot". A supporter and promoter of ideas that are diametrically opposed to his own benefit and those of his class.   

Christie we would all like to live in a Utopian Society where everyone gets what they want, but that is not going to happen.

People in power have their own agendas and there's little we can do to change that. You and your friends have voted with your feet and decided not to live under an oppressive government or become part of the machine. Exactly the same as all the Old Farts did before you were born.

I only suggest you take on board one thing and that is the Thai Government is about as good as it gets anywhere in the World. If you can find somewhere with a better cost of living/freedom ratio let me know.

There are ways around these rules just stop banging your head against the wall and walk around it. Good Luck.

spare me the dictionary gobbdleygook. the fact is without government, humans living by the law of survival of the fittest would murder far more than government in whatever form could.

Christie we would all like to live in a Utopian Society where everyone gets what they want, but that is not going to happen.

People in power have their own agendas and there's little we can do to change that. You and your friends have voted with your feet and decided not to live under an oppressive government or become part of the machine. Exactly the same as all the Old Farts did before you were born.

I only suggest you take on board one thing and that is the Thai Government is about as good as it gets anywhere in the World. If you can find somewhere with a better cost of living/freedom ratio let me know.

There are ways around these rules just stop banging your head against the wall and walk around it. Good Luck.

I don't disagree with your remarks at all. 

My post just related to terminilogy. If we are going to use words, we might as well agree on their meaning. Arguments based on differing terminology are tedious.  

As for "change", I'm optimistic. It would seem we are midway between a great battle between malthusian oligarchs, common people and technology. I see hope in young people, who despite the fact of inheriting a world of conflict, are somehow managing bit by bit, to reduce the relevancy of an archaic system predicated on slavery, ignorance and violence. 

Utopia is a goal - not a destination.