Penang Recommendations

girlx

can anyone recommend a hotel that is not too expensive and has a visa agent, that is not in the chulia street area rather on the beach? any food places nearby? thanks

can anyone recommend a hotel that is not too expensive and has a visa agent, that is not in the chulia street area rather on the beach? any food places nearby? thanks

I always stay in the Malaysia Hotel - Jalang Penang look here: - beautiful view over penang bay if you book 7th floor and bay view around 85 M$ - and have my Visa done by: N.J. Books Center in Chulia Street right next (right hand) to "The Swiss Hotel" 425 Chulia Street, 10200 Penang Phone: 604-2616113 [email protected] always had my Visas done through them - never anything went wrong.. - in walking distance from the Malaysia - next to the Malaysia are several (very clean) Indian eateries...across the street a good pub...

Edited by Samuian

make friends on the mini bus-( if possible)

drop your visa paper work of at chulia st. nj books.

go over (taxi) and rent a nice room or suite at gurny hotel or northham suites.

http://www.northam-hotel.com.my/index.htm or http://www.gurney-hotel.com.my/

Now if you share ( with 3 or more) you'll pay the same as any of those crap ones near chulia st.

Best part, the visa agent will deliver to your hotel (free) or you can pick it up on your wayout.

becarefull in penang, many friends robbed near chulia st. The neighbor hood near gurny is a bit safer. have a good trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I agree Malaysia Hotel offers the best deal for about baht800. I have stayed there many times. They used to have a restaurant on the top floor commanding the best bay view no other restaurant in Penang can match.

By the way, FINALLY, the taxi will start to use meter effective August 1, 2006 (another 3 weeks from now). The local government is also revamping the bus system and put in new buses and streamlineing the routes. Hopefully, one can take a nice cool air-con bus in future from Komtar to Batu Ferrigi Beach. And that will put the ugly taxi out of business. I still feel bitter having forced to pay RM8 (more than 80 baht) from Malaysia Hotel to HSBC near the clock tower. In Bangkok, it would not cost more than baht40 and the taxi is cleaner and newer.

Dekbannok

I always stay in the Malaysia Hotel - Jalang Penang look here: - beautiful view over penang bay if you book 7th floor and bay view around 85 M$ - and have my Visa done by: N.J. Books Center in Chulia Street right next (right hand) to "The Swiss Hotel" 425 Chulia Street, 10200 Penang Phone: 604-2616113 [email protected] always had my Visas done through them - never anything went wrong.. - in walking distance from the Malaysia - next to the Malaysia are several (very clean) Indian eateries...across the street a good pub...

The beaches in Penang are no great shakes and the bus service to and fro isn't too hot either and after dark you will get stung badly for a cab ride either to or out of Georgetown.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree. I think most of the beaches are very nice (not the best in the world by far though). If you like to explore, you can find some very beautiful spots. As for the bus service, they are very hot! :o

Just had a weeks holiday there.

Junior suite in the Northam hotel RM247 (you must book direct to get cheaper rates)

Had a really great time.

Fpr people living in Bkk it offers a different and viable alternative to Phuket and Samui.(as a holiday destination)

Cheers

I stayed at the Continental. Very good location, clean, good rooms w A/C, decent breakfast buffet, decent price.

I agree with Meadish about the Continental. I've stayed there several times and have never had any complaints.

Regarding the buses to/from Batu Ferringhi, i think they stop at about 10PM, so that's when the taxis' have you by the gonads. :o