'Moral soundness' to be included in education reform: Thai politics

webfact

It was a much different world when Thailand first started peddling its trade in "Light hearted cash for sex and a good night out" The war years exemplified the theory of live for today, as there may not be a tomorrow. The soldiers on R'N'R were full of smiles, laughs, and had a somewhat fun loving cheeky way about them. Women of the night had been a constant in every nation, Thailand included. It would seem that in Thailand, the client and the provider in many cases found love. The line had been crossed. Then when the news hit some of the poorest villages that not only were these soldiers good fun, and provided well, but they may even be husband material, there may be a way out of this life of poverty, well the flood gates opened. And why wouldn't they.

Education in the rural villages was sparse. These girls were born into poor families, with little hope of ever being able to escape the rice paddies. And these soldiers offered something more than they ever believed could be within their grasp. These girls in many cases thought there was a way out of this impoverished life that they were born into. Some relationships were formed. Thai and foreign marital relationships exploded. And in some cases, many of the girls of the night remained just that, Girls of the night. It became a gold rush. Girls from impoverished rural area's rushing to the city to find a rich foreign husband, often at the demand of their parents. It spread like a wildfire, a pandemic, a disease. Back then, it was indeed a different world. But times have changed.

Over the years, that original gold rush mentality turned into something more sinister. The pay for play turned dark. It wasn't with wide opened eyes and a good heart that these girls came to the cities looking for this foreigner. The status quo had changed. Men were coming to Thailand to predominantly indulge in sexual behaviour that was not freely available to them back home. Men came with the desire for warm balmy night, beaches, beer, and endless nights with a girl of their choosing. The girls were no longer really believing in so much as finding a husband. A real husband that is. The girls knew what they were doing, and took full advantage of the pay for play. And why wouldn't they. It became a lucrative game. Very lucrative in some cases.

But we are now in 2014. Before we know it we will be in 2020. It will happen in the blink of an eye. Thailand is a proud nation. Thailand is a land of beautiful people, who predominantly have good hearts, and a people that would rather do you a good turn than a bad turn. It is us that have caused it to be looked upon as the biggest open air brothel in the world. We have fed that monster of a reputation, and we continue to feed it. But Thailand does not want that reputation. Thailand has seen the errors of both it's way and our ways. It is then without surprise that those heading up the nation now with a true heart want to start kneading the moral fabric back into it's people. I believe that much is being orchestrated behind closed doors, by someone who should be listened to, and that the desire for a moral shift is now being heard. No longer does Thailand want to be seen by the world as that so called open air brothel.

The time has come where someone needs to pull on the brakes, and do that complete 180 degree turn on what has been happening within the country for decades. I believe that the time is upon us. The moral fabric of Thailand is set to change, and it will be through education both at home and in the schools that this will happen. Thailand is now, without doubt, in the mood to stand up and become what Thailand has always been. A proud nation of proud people. The children of this generation will be taught different moral values effecting both the individual and country as a whole. I believe that we are on the cusp of a paradigm shift. This will not happen overnight. It will take years of education, and implementing a change in moral values, but it will happen, and with the leader we have now, and with his motivation, and I dare say with a little help from a higher being, the Thailand of yesterday will change into the Thailand of tomorrow. A beautiful country, with a proud and beautiful people. And then we shall be truly privileged to be allowed to visit from time to time, as tourists seeking a view of a beautiful country that inspires us. That lifts us.

Think it cant be done????? Watch this space. wai.gif

laugh.png Hyperbole much?

• Like 1

Hopeless and futile exercise and simply more senile propaganda. Children emulate what they see in the society they live in. Their morality and social and ethical values are formed from the big picture of their environment not from some half baked study session indoctrination. Very much a, do as I tell you not as I do, scenario.

I have three grown children who all attended good schools however, their social and ethical values were formed by their home environment and hopefully reinforced by their educational experience but the hard yards were done at home. Children's character and values are in the domain of the parents not the schools.

Perhaps educating the parents would be a far better way to go.

It would be a good idea to include World history in the curriculum to give students a realistic view rather than a contrived version of Thailand's status among the countries of the world. Patriotism is also good - as an alternative to xenophobic nationalism.

Before 'World History', students would need to learn Geography, as most have no idea where anywhere is beyond the Thai borders.

Within my school there is a pedestrian crossing and the parents and teachers when dropping off their children totally ignore the presence of the crossing. Once parents play their civic duty to obeying the rules then the parents will be good role models. That is a huge mind shift. If that can be done then the kids of tomorrow will be instilled with inner discipline and care for others understanding the practicality of the golden rule and ethics.

It would be a good idea to include World history in the curriculum to give students a realistic view rather than a contrived version of Thailand's status among the countries of the world. Patriotism is also good - as an alternative to xenophobic nationalism.

Before 'World History', students would need to learn Geography, as most have no idea where anywhere is beyond the Thai borders.

And a hefty proportion of the rest of the planet think I live in Taiwan.

Let's be honest about it Moral Soundness etc is something that should be something that children grow up with from the start.

It's the parents role nay duty to start instilling such qualities into their childrenfollowed then of course by the childs teachers and also their peers

Children learn from their role models, family members, teachers, their peer groups and society at large as they grow.

The state must never be allowed to replace the family.

You can't walk 1km without seen an erotic massage In Bangkok, if kids are growing up and seen this as normal then it's a waste of time,

Sent from my D6503 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And when the BG's return to the village dripping in gold and (fake) designer gear, what hope do the other girls have of staying on the moral strait and narrow.

Add to that the pressure from boy friend, husband or parents to go earn money in Pattya, Phuket or where ever, moral bankruptcy is the outcome. It's gonna take some time to fix this mess.

It would be something were they to not only ensure accurate presentation of Thai history but to include something of history beyond Thailand's shores.

'Suthasri said that ... "If they learn about Dhamma, they will have something to hold them back when temptations arise," ...' Oh, really? Naivety is alive and kicking in the education ministry.

"

If they learn about Dhamma, they will have something to hold them back when temptations arise,"

I think that comment is attributed to a Mr. W.Anchor actually.whistling.gif

It was a much different world when Thailand first started peddling its trade in "Light hearted cash for sex and a good night out" The war years exemplified the theory of live for today, as there may not be a tomorrow. The soldiers on R'N'R were full of smiles, laughs, and had a somewhat fun loving cheeky way about them. Women of the night had been a constant in every nation, Thailand included. It would seem that in Thailand, the client and the provider in many cases found love. The line had been crossed. Then when the news hit some of the poorest villages that not only were these soldiers good fun, and provided well, but they may even be husband material, there may be a way out of this life of poverty, well the flood gates opened. And why wouldn't they.

Education in the rural villages was sparse. These girls were born into poor families, with little hope of ever being able to escape the rice paddies. And these soldiers offered something more than they ever believed could be within their grasp. These girls in many cases thought there was a way out of this impoverished life that they were born into. Some relationships were formed. Thai and foreign marital relationships exploded. And in some cases, many of the girls of the night remained just that, Girls of the night. It became a gold rush. Girls from impoverished rural area's rushing to the city to find a rich foreign husband, often at the demand of their parents. It spread like a wildfire, a pandemic, a disease. Back then, it was indeed a different world. But times have changed.

Over the years, that original gold rush mentality turned into something more sinister. The pay for play turned dark. It wasn't with wide opened eyes and a good heart that these girls came to the cities looking for this foreigner. The status quo had changed. Men were coming to Thailand to predominantly indulge in sexual behaviour that was not freely available to them back home. Men came with the desire for warm balmy night, beaches, beer, and endless nights with a girl of their choosing. The girls were no longer really believing in so much as finding a husband. A real husband that is. The girls knew what they were doing, and took full advantage of the pay for play. And why wouldn't they. It became a lucrative game. Very lucrative in some cases.

But we are now in 2014. Before we know it we will be in 2020. It will happen in the blink of an eye. Thailand is a proud nation. Thailand is a land of beautiful people, who predominantly have good hearts, and a people that would rather do you a good turn than a bad turn. It is us that have caused it to be looked upon as the biggest open air brothel in the world. We have fed that monster of a reputation, and we continue to feed it. But Thailand does not want that reputation. Thailand has seen the errors of both it's way and our ways. It is then without surprise that those heading up the nation now with a true heart want to start kneading the moral fabric back into it's people. I believe that much is being orchestrated behind closed doors, by someone who should be listened to, and that the desire for a moral shift is now being heard. No longer does Thailand want to be seen by the world as that so called open air brothel.

The time has come where someone needs to pull on the brakes, and do that complete 180 degree turn on what has been happening within the country for decades. I believe that the time is upon us. The moral fabric of Thailand is set to change, and it will be through education both at home and in the schools that this will happen. Thailand is now, without doubt, in the mood to stand up and become what Thailand has always been. A proud nation of proud people. The children of this generation will be taught different moral values effecting both the individual and country as a whole. I believe that we are on the cusp of a paradigm shift. This will not happen overnight. It will take years of education, and implementing a change in moral values, but it will happen, and with the leader we have now, and with his motivation, and I dare say with a little help from a higher being, the Thailand of yesterday will change into the Thailand of tomorrow. A beautiful country, with a proud and beautiful people. And then we shall be truly privileged to be allowed to visit from time to time, as tourists seeking a view of a beautiful country that inspires us. That lifts us.

Nice speech.

Why does it need indoctrination in school to achieve a change in moral behaviour?

A swish of a pen to change the law and a swift reform of the police to get them to.enforce it and its done.

This is just cheap nationalistic indoctrination. I am so glad I got my kids away from it.

laugh.png Hyperbole much?

Seriously jpeg! You cut a nice tale and it may even have some base of fact. But you miss the point entirely and adhere to this article as meaning sex and money. Not to mention the fact that you also seem to think their re-education will happily start in this generation.

What you fail to see was that the sex industry rakes in billions to thailand and the people. You also fail to understand thai culture that makes marraiges based on social and financial status.

What are you thinking?

Firstly! The general is more concerned i think with the greedy, self centered businessmen and politicians. Lack of morals and concern for the individual.

You also have to think that none of this will set in with a younger generation simply because actions speak louder than words. The actions of the adults counter anything taught in a school. Most all morals and values are taught by adults with what a minor observes. So preach to me all day that taking bribes is bad and then let me see my father pay someone a bribe to get what he wants.

I will be next in line to pay the bribe also.

So this re-education needs to start with the role models. Not in a classroom lecture.

As for your ideas on the bar girls. Its true their motives are money, fun, and a possible rich husband. But without good income elsewhere you are wrong also. Morals are all good and dandy. But when your family is hungry and you need a job but cant find one you will do what you need in order to support them. Once you send the first sum of money everyone supports you. Since culture dictates family first then that is all you care about. Sex is not relevant to a happy life or marraige here.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I thought they wanted to prepare Thailand for true democracy (actually I don't think they do, but some posters insist that is the case). Why isn't Democracy on the list of subjects taught to help turn students into better citizens?

• Like 2

So the children are made to dress up like some kind of Hitler youth programme and then told at school they mut be nic epeople and full of morals etc. Then they get home and watch one of those mental soap operas where the rich women scream and wail and shoot the poor slave girl..... Nice. It's strange when one thinks this really is a Buddhist country. The whole base of Buddhism is morals yet the Junta feels the need to include morals in the school curriculum. Is there any curriculum in the World that does this? When they say "morals" do they mean "love your local Junta"?

Isn't it a little hypocritical for a military junta that overthrew a democratically elected government, suspended all civil liberties and rights, and established martial law to now impose "moral soundness and virtues" education on Thai youths? This rivals the propoganda of Mao's Great Leap Forward and Hilter's Arayan Culture Club.

And what's the rush? Does it fear a return to democracy (however soon that might be allowed) that might otherwise distort or nuetralize the junta's education reform to insure citizens' loyalty to the State and its absolute rulers? If the military has indeed learned anything from its past twelve coups, it is that totalitarian leadership fosters obediance, but it does not foster loyalty. Looking back on his failure of the Great Leap Forward, Mao said,

"Comrades, you must all analyse your own responsibility. If you have to fart, fart. You will feel much better for it."

So the Junta should allow some individual leeway, a little fart in its education reform if it is going to change the way Thai society behaves.

"..Thailand's preparations in the next few months will cover a lot of things - including new textbooks, new teaching guidelines, new class-time allocation, teachers' training, and so on...Like the NCPO, the Education Ministry expects the subjects of History and Civic Duty to promote patriotism, discipline, respect for others, a sense of duty, readiness to sacrifice and many more good values among all children."

Won't have the desired results when the students see their adult role models continue the same behaviors and values which are ingrained in present Thai society.

Will Thai boys now learn that they are morally and financially responsible for their future wives and children? Will the wealthy learn that they are responsible for their actions and running away to Hong Kong or Cambodia for six months to avoid responsibility is morally wrong? Will Thai law be brought into line and support the moral teachings?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree but do you seriously think the Junta would allow study the likes of the American Revolution against King George III, the Fall of King Charles in the Battle of Hastings, the American defeat of Emperor Hirohito, the overthrow of King Louis XVI, or the fall of the Union of the Socialist Soviet Republic? That might not endure Thai people to rule by elites and royalty. World history (if it's not rewritten) would be a very dangerous course for Thais.

• Like 1

I agree, it's hidden out the way for Thai's, if you say you have been to Thailand on holiday in the western world, people snigger, tourist and the western world have made it like this, I live here, I'm married, but when I see farang tourists here for sex I shale my head, so much more to this beautiful country

Sent from my D6503 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It is more important for Thai society to sort out the ridiculous tv programs, and even understand what a watershed time is, ie my 8 year kid can see violence on the telly at 5 o clock in the afternoon. The current rulers need to seriously look at this, but they won't.

"The ministry even has hopes of introducing "Dhamma Study" to all schools." I am sure this will be warmly received at mostly Muslim schools.... Regarding teaching morals: actions speak louder than words. Students aren't dumb, can see corruption starting in neighborhood and including the schools, with teachers demanding extra money from families.

Stop feeling guilty on behalf of your fellow falangs. Thailand has been "peddling sex" for centuries, long before we white devils swooped to sample the pleasures of the numerous brothels that already existed across the nation. Thai kings of the past had concubines and aristocrats and other members of the elite would travel to remote rural villages in the hope of finding a virgin bride. Innocent girls fetched a high price, presumably for the same reason they do today - they were in short supply. This is the origin of the dowry system which is used today mainly as a device for milking historically ignorant falangs of the contents of their wallets.

Domestic prostitution has long been a part of the Thai tradition and was abd us accepted as normal. As many as 95% of Thai men, it is estimated, have been to local brothels that are found in most every city of Thailand. Brothels are routinely used to initiative young male Thais into the joys of sex.

An interesting insight into the Thai sex trade is offered by a study called Prostitutes in Thailand, by Dr Chatssumarn Kabilsingh, professor of religion and philosophy at Thammasat University in Bangkok. Here's an enlightening extract:

“In Thailand, prostitution was mentioned during King Rama I's reign. There was taxation of prostitutes and brothels called 'tax for the road.' When Rama V abolished slavery, some female slaves were turned over to men who started brothels. Prostitution was legalized in 1934 by Rama V. He expressed his concern about prostitutes who worked in gangs with men as their supervisors. The situation was prone to violence and the threat if spreading venereal disease was great. Because of these dangers, Rama V allowed prostitutes to be registered so that they could receive regular medical care.

"Thailand remained under this act until 1960, when the United Nations declared the abolition of prostitution. The Thai government answered the UN policy by introducing " The Act to Deter Prostitution," replacing the 1934 law. According to this new act, no one is permitted to perform in the sex trade, either heterosexual or homosexual. A person who has transgressed the law will be find a maximum of 2000 baht ( about $50 U.S ) or sentenced to imprisonment for up to two months.

"Through this act, prostitution became illegal, which is to say, from the legal point of view, there are no prostitutes."

Now you know why a certain Thai woman government minister said famously, after a visit to Pattaya, that she had not seen a single prostitute!

So there you have it. Thais, not falangs, must bear the major responsibility for the Land of Smiles' reputation as the world's sex capital. They created the vast network of honeypots which attract drones from around the world.

Perhaps, you are right in concluding Thais are getting heartily sick of this label. If so, I am sure they will support their new leaders' calls for moral reform. But, considering how firmly embedded prostitution is in the Thai culture, its contribution to the black economy and the patriarchal nature of Thai society I should not expect change to come quickly - and certainly not if it is reliant on the proposed new school curriculum to do the donkey work.

On studying outline plans for the reform of the Thai education system, I am struck by their uncanny and disturbing resemblance to those of certain notorious authoritarian regimes of the past. If the changes so far mooted are introduced, I fear I shall have either to send my little daughter to an expensive international school or home-school her myself.

Seems they want kids to grow up to be mindless gorms!.....

Religion, civic pride, history, (Thai history only no doubt)..........this will move the country forward!

This will create an army of worker drones. This is one of the crazy idea's of the Junta I dont support.

Seems some people are stuck in the past.

Just give them a good education and lead by example.

you hit it rob......worker drones with shaved heads, uniforms and obedient brainwashed minds that don't/can't think outside the little bubble that this country is trying to mold it's self into. Now, they are messing with history, what next?? No more foreign language [evil English especially] and the rest of the world will follow the clever Thais!!

Stop feeling guilty on behalf of your fellow falangs. Thailand has been "peddling sex" for centuries, long before we white devils swooped to sample the pleasures of the numerous brothels that already existed across the nation. Thai kings of the past had concubines and aristocrats and other members of the elite would travel to remote rural villages in the hope of finding a virgin bride. Innocent girls fetched a high price, presumably for the same reason they do today - they were in short supply. This is the origin of the dowry system which is used today mainly as a device for milking historically ignorant falangs of the contents of their wallets.

Domestic prostitution has long been a part of the Thai tradition and was abd us accepted as normal. As many as 95% of Thai men, it is estimated, have been to local brothels that are found in most every city of Thailand. Brothels are routinely used to initiative young male Thais into the joys of sex.

An interesting insight into the Thai sex trade is offered by a study called Prostitutes in Thailand, by Dr Chatssumarn Kabilsingh, professor of religion and philosophy at Thammasat University in Bangkok. Here's an enlightening extract:

“In Thailand, prostitution was mentioned during King Rama I's reign. There was taxation of prostitutes and brothels called 'tax for the road.' When Rama V abolished slavery, some female slaves were turned over to men who started brothels. Prostitution was legalized in 1934 by Rama V. He expressed his concern about prostitutes who worked in gangs with men as their supervisors. The situation was prone to violence and the threat if spreading venereal disease was great. Because of these dangers, Rama V allowed prostitutes to be registered so that they could receive regular medical care.

"Thailand remained under this act until 1960, when the United Nations declared the abolition of prostitution. The Thai government answered the UN policy by introducing " The Act to Deter Prostitution," replacing the 1934 law. According to this new act, no one is permitted to perform in the sex trade, either heterosexual or homosexual. A person who has transgressed the law will be find a maximum of 2000 baht ( about $50 U.S ) or sentenced to imprisonment for up to two months.

"Through this act, prostitution became illegal, which is to say, from the legal point of view, there are no prostitutes."

Now you know why a certain Thai woman government minister said famously, after a visit to Pattaya, that she had not seen a single prostitute!

So there you have it. Thais, not falangs, must bear the major responsibility for the Land of Smiles' reputation as the world's sex capital. They created the vast network of honeypots which attract drones from around the world.

Perhaps, you are right in concluding Thais are getting heartily sick of this label. If so, I am sure they will support their new leaders' calls for moral reform. But, considering how firmly embedded prostitution is in the Thai culture, its contribution to the black economy and the patriarchal nature of Thai society I should not expect change to come quickly - and certainly not if it is reliant on the proposed new school curriculum to do the donkey work.

On studying outline plans for the reform of the Thai education system, I am struck by their uncanny and disturbing resemblance to those of certain notorious authoritarian regimes of the past. If the changes so far mooted are introduced, I fear I shall have either to send my little daughter to an expensive international school or home-school her myself.

"So there you have it. Thais, not falangs, must bear the major responsibility for the Land of Smiles' reputation as the world's sex capital. They created the vast network of honeypots which attract drones from around the world."

I am afraid I have to disagree with this comment you made, but you did make some other good points. Every nation in the world since the beginning of time one would imagine, has had prostitution in it's midst. Today in virtually every country around the world, every city, every country town, every nook and cranny within each countries society has brothels, and prostitution, be it legal, or be it street walkers. But no country on earth has had its prostitution highlighted by western and eastern men, more so than Thailand. Western and eastern men of nations from all over the world took full advantage of the poverty of much of Thailand, and Prostituted the poverty of these people.

If it was just the Thai's visiting their local bars that provide pay for play in every rural village and city of Thailand, the rest of the world wouldn't see it and wouldn't know about it. Thailand would not have been thrust onto the world stage for its local girls of the night peddling to their Thai customers. It wouldn't be any better known for prostitution than Belgium, Australia, Germany, Italy or Paris. All of these places have local pay for play everywhere. And the men that go to brothels 2 or 3 times a month in their own country don't go down to the local bar with their mates and brag about what a good time they have when they are there. We as westerners popularised Thailand as a sex tourists haven, we invested money in the sex trade, we built it up, we advertised it, and many western and eastern men have profited immensely from the poverty that surrounded these people. We bear a huge Burdon of guilt in what has become a sex tourists paradise.

You can't walk 1km without seen an erotic massage In Bangkok, if kids are growing up and seen this as normal then it's a waste of time

these places do not endanger morale and ethical understanding of the (Thai) population: To them, it has always been a service industry none else than a car wash, a barber's or a clinic for that...it is a matter only what the Westerner's eyes make out of it (their European countries and the Americas overboarding already with publicly offered services far beyond a naughty massage)