NCPO order legal changes in the police’s personnel management

webfact

NCPO order legal changes in the police’s personnel management

ncpo891-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order on Monday announced changes in the police law regarding personnel management and the dissolution of the National Police Policy Commission and the Police Service Commission.

The changes which are meant to improve police efficiency and flexibility in the performance of duty are the first step of the long overdue police reform.

The amendments of the police law will see the creation of a new National Police Policy Commission with the inclusion of the defence permanent secretary as a commissioner besides the permanent secretaries of interior and justice and the director of Budget Bureau.

The National Police Policy Commission is chaired by the prime minister and comprises, among others, two knowledgeable persons hand-picked by the Senate, the permanent secretaries of defence, interior and justice and Budget Bureau director.

The prime minister will also head the Police Service Commission which comprises the national police chief, the secretary-general of Civil Service Committee, the police inspector-general.

The NCPO also announced a new set of guidelines regarding police reshuffle with emphasis on merit system and ethical behaviour of the individuals.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ncpo-order-legal-changes-polices-personnel-management/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-15

The National Police Policy Commission is chaired by the prime minister and comprises, among others, two knowledgeable persons hand-picked by the Senate, the permanent secretaries of defence, interior and justice and Budget Bureau director.

so no conflict of interest yet again....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Why the need for the defence PS to be on the commission? This is an inappropriate move, although many will say it's necessary inorder for the military to keep the police under control. I agree with what is happening to the police in the interim, but in the long term, no, - no control of one arm of government by another, totally unrelated arm. This is not how I envisage democracy.

• Like 1

At its heart Thailand has been over recent history and will continue to be a democracy heavily influenced by the military, especially when the military feels the democracy has went too far off course and needs to be bought back on the course considered correct by the military.

Edited by Pib

Why the need for the defence PS to be on the commission? This is an inappropriate move, although many will say it's necessary inorder for the military to keep the police under control. I agree with what is happening to the police in the interim, but in the long term, no, - no control of one arm of government by another, totally unrelated arm. This is not how I envisage democracy.

The RTP are the 4th branch of the Thai Defence Forces, it has little or nothing to do with the Army maintaining a hold over the police. The Defence PS obviously has all 4 branches in his portfolio.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Prime Minister should have nothing except titular authority over the police, just like with the Army.

The most important reform needs to be to proactively strive to end corruption at all levels and to stringently punish corrupt and or dishonest police.

Well as the article said it is a start. It is not the end of it. If you want to get honest with it the most important part would be a decent wage and proper training. In my opinion of course.

What I was wondering about was immigration. Are not the staff at the immigration offices part of the police?

The RTP are the 4th branch of the Thai Defence Forces, it has little or nothing to do with the Army maintaining a hold over the police. The Defence PS obviously has all 4 branches in his portfolio.

Well either way its wrong. One of the major problems in Thailand concerns limiting and understanding the role of the army.

The police should not be the 4th arm of anything and the army should definitely not be involved in running it.

• Like 1

Well either way its wrong. One of the major problems in Thailand concerns limiting and understanding the role of the army.

The police should not be the 4th arm of anything and the army should definitely not be involved in running it.

So you think that the army should not be involved in running it?

What do you think of politicians being in charge of the police then?

• Like 1

That's not the point is it. Someone needs eventually to reform the army.

The politicians are corrupt, the army is corrupt, the courts are corrupt, the senate is corrupt.

By corrupt I mean unbribeable and only acting for the country. So this is about structuring the country in the best manner. And the best manner would be to not have the army run the police.

There is NO mention of promotion by merit just time served and that is hugely disappointing by very 'Thai'

I quote: The NCPO also announced a new set of guidelines regarding police reshuffle with emphasis on merit system and ethical behaviour of the individuals.

There is NO mention of promotion by merit just time served and that is hugely disappointing by very 'Thai'

The impression my girlfriend got when this went out on tv last night was that this measure is being introduced to stop people from buying their positions with huge amounts of cash.

They have to find something for the 1700 generals to do.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You don't get it. The army is not running the police. The police, army, navy, and airforce all come under the umbrella of "Defense"....thus the PS of Defense is up there overseeing them all.

A good thing to keep churning away until they drag, push, shove LOS into a much better place than the last tens which I have enjoyed thanks to my beautiful, but expensive wife.

Off the subject: I am am and have been 100% behind the Corruption Toilet Flushing.

But tonight they got me a little bit peed off, they seem to delight cutting into a movie with the NCPO Stuff in the middle of the program or movie. Please be more considerate and put it at the end of the program/movie, Thanks !!

Is there an e-mail site for the NCPO for suggestions ??

I hear that question again and again. As if it was somehow outrageous that a politician is in charge of the police. But actually it is the most normal thing to do: they either belong to the Ministry of Justice or Interior for oversight. Some free countries find it suitable to put formed police units under the command of the Ministry of Defense in times of war but particularly Northern European states would never mix military and police matters. So, of course a politician is in charge, how can it be otherwise?

I hear that question again and again. As if it was somehow outrageous that a politician is in charge of the police. But actually it is the most normal thing to do: they either belong to the Ministry of Justice or Interior for oversight. Some free countries find it suitable to put formed police units under the command of the Ministry of Defense in times of war but particularly Northern European states would never mix military and police matters. So, of course a politician is in charge, how can it be otherwise?

The Gendarmerie Nationale in France is under the control of the Ministry of Defence.

The Gendarmerie Nationale in France is under the control of the Ministry of Defence.

My understanding is that the Gendarmerie Nationale in principle is under the command of the Ministry of Interior (responsible for crowd control and policing outside of cities) but can be deployed as combatants under the command of the Ministry of Defense, if the need arises. I know, that Spain and Italy follow similar principles. But please, correct me, if I am wrong. Anyway, they are under the command of the Ministry, i.e. a politician.

My understanding is that the Gendarmerie Nationale in principle is under the command of the Ministry of Interior (responsible for crowd control and policing outside of cities) but can be deployed as combatants under the command of the Ministry of Defense, if the need arises. I know, that Spain and Italy follow similar principles. But please, correct me, if I am wrong. Anyway, they are under the command of the Ministry, i.e. a politician.

Since 2009 it's been run by the Ministry of the Interior but it's still part of the French Armed Forces.

• Like 1

RE Thai at Heart post #11

"That's not the point is it. Someone needs eventually to reform the army.

The politicians are corrupt, the army is corrupt, the courts are corrupt, the senate is corrupt.

By corrupt I mean unbribeable and only acting for the country. So this is about structuring the country in the best manner. And the best manner would be to not have the army run the police."

So who is to be the first for restructure in your plan then?

The politicians who have nearly brought the country to civil war and ruin? I notice that you conveniently fogot to mention them.

The police who are corrupt?

The army who are corrupt?

The courts who are corrupt?

The Senate who are corrupt?

As far as I can see since the army has taken over

1 The rioting and demonstartions have stopped.

2 The murders and injuries of innocent men women and children have stopped

3 The army are looking into the rice scheme and finding all sorts of problems

4 The police are starting to do the job they are paid for, admittedly with "help" from the military

5 The army are attempting to clean up corruption in many places.

6 The rule of law is being obeyed better

7 There seems to be less defamation cases being pushed forwards to clog up the courts

8 All this and more in only 2 months

Would you like to explain to us all why previous governments which have been in power for year have not been able or willing to do this?

• Like 1

"This is not how I envisage democracy." Sir, Rome was noty built in a day. The last 82 years of Thailand's history (counting from 1932 which i think is right) have not been anyone's ideas of a correctly functioning democracy. The police in particular have not covered themselves with glory and suddenly in the last month have only just strted to behave the way most thai people would have hoped they would. They are even getting a new operating manual soon. It will take a while for the police and the Thai people to get used to tthe new way of doing things. Perhaps it's a bit lke keeping the training wheels on your kid's bike, just to make sure.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Prime Minister should have nothing except titular authority over the police, just like with the Army.

The most important reform needs to be to proactively strive to end corruption at all levels and to stringently punish corrupt and or dishonest police.

Well as the article said it is a start. It is not the end of it. If you want to get honest with it the most important part would be a decent wage and proper training. In my opinion of course.

What I was wondering about was immigration. Are not the staff at the immigration offices part of the police?

Good question. Been thinking about that since the 90 day thingy I did 10 days ago. All the staff in white teeshirts (marked Pattaya Police) but not a police uniform to be seen. None of the faces looked familiar either. Perhaps the Immigration is being handled by non-sworn staff now. Lower rates of pay & real poice freed up for real police work. Immigration is not big enough to stand on it's own. In many countries it is under Labour, Police or internal affairs Ministries. Could be a long-term plan here too.

The impression my girlfriend got when this went out on tv last night was that this measure is being introduced to stop people from buying their positions with huge amounts of cash.

Well, according to common knowledge Thaksin had his Lt. Col-ship in the police force bought for him by his rich family

• Like 1

Certainly well overdue, would never of happened without the Coup.

Presume the are some incompetent, lazy, corrupt officers who will soon be looking for a refund on the money they paid to get their job in the first place. whistling.gif

i am sure we will start to see results soon..