Royal Thai Air Force approves flexible use of military airspace

tso310

BANGKOK, July 15 (Xinhua) -- The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) has agreed to a proposal of allowing commercial flights through restricted military airspace at certain times, local media reported Tuesday.

The Aeronautical Radio of Thailand (AEROTHAI), which controls the national air traffic, has negotiated with the RTAF about the flexible use of military airspace for more than a decade, AEROTHAI president Sarinee Sangprasit was quoted as saying.

A joint civilian-military committee and working panels will be established to work out details concerning the proposal.

Major airlines including the Thai AirAsia and Thai Airways International have reportedly voiced support for the civilian- military cooperation, saying that flexible airspace use will help improve efficiency, reduce costs and promote the growth of the aviation industry.

There is a map in the Bangkok Post of the restricted areas which are huge. It will make flying between Bangkok and the regions more direct and especially for say Ubon to Chiang Mai. The current air corridors are getting rather crowded.

The CEO of Thai AirAsia welcomed the move, saying flexible airspace use will save time and fuel because airliners will not have to take detours to avoid restricted military airspace..

Edited by tso310

Has anyone ever noticed the extreme lack of private aircraft in thailand? Helicopters, and fixed wing. Some will say that there is not enough money here to justify this kind of travel, but many of us know this is nonsense. It has to be that the military has always held a lot of restriction on Thai airspace. Even at the major airports one sees so few private planes, jets, and choppers. For a country this affluent, it is shocking. Anyone have any info on this?

My understanding is you can not own a PRIVATE helicopter in Thailand. That is why you don't see helicopter tour businesses like in Cambodia. They are concerned about smuggling and internal security . Fixed wing is OK.

The same holds true for radio transmitters and receivers. Restricted.

Edited by NCC1701A

I would guess there is a huge import tax on aircraft which will all be built abroad. Also on the replacement parts making an expensive hobby even more expensive. The airports don't seem to be GA friendly. I saw NOTAM stuck on the window of the information desk at chiang mai airport. Private flights by light aircraft were not allowed to use the airport dec, jan, feb as it is the "busy season". I think chiang mai get 4 million passengers a year! The ATC guys should go to the Los Angeles area to see what busy airspace looks.

I would guess there is a huge import tax on aircraft which will all be built abroad. Also on the replacement parts making an expensive hobby even more expensive. The airports don't seem to be GA friendly. I saw NOTAM stuck on the window of the information desk at chiang mai airport. Private flights by light aircraft were not allowed to use the airport dec, jan, feb as it is the "busy season". I think chiang mai get 4 million passengers a year! The ATC guys should go to the Los Angeles area to see what busy airspace looks.

There is no import tax on aircraft. Sorry they may be but none if accompanied by owner. The duty rate for other aircraft is 5% woever under most treaties is exempt.

Edited by harrry

Looking at the Thai aircraft register most small planes, and there are not many, seem to be owned by flying clubs. Interesting very few biz jets considering the number of billionaires in this country. Kingpower has a Gulfstream but most seem to be owned by Mjets a private charter company.