Scores of foreigners refused entry to Thailand at Malaysian border

I wonder how All the self righteous people on here and other threads will react when they start with your tyoe of visa. You're literary cheering the misery of these people of whom most have the means to stay here and don't work or do any crime.

Of course Thailand has the right to enforce their immigration laws but dont talk about these people like you're better then them. Immigration will move to the othet type of visas because also those were not always properly enforced/checked. E.g. people borrowing the 400k or 800k

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

I'm sure of few of these kind are already sweating!!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 and a bit people per day. Suggest the immigration guys need to pull the finger out and try harder.

Well if you have a visa, you have reasonable expectation to be allowed to enter the country.

There is only a presumption by the border officials that a visa holder could be working. Do Thai immigration (and Samran) really believe people who could make $15 an hour working legally in their own countries are flocking to Thailand to work illegally for $15 a day with no benefits, then exit and enter the country again every 60 days ?

many are .

Well I see you seem to have a comeback for everything.

Many are? Where do these many come from? US, UK, Australia, Canada, NZ?

Get a grip.

People from these countries would not dare work for 15,000 baht a month, and that's being generous. Immigration could take one look at where you are from and work out the probability of you working illegally in Thailand. You want to catch those working illegally, use better methods.

If you need to change and enforce the laws make it clear. Turning people away at borders with valid Visa's is a effin disgrace. With today's technology every Visa issuing office should be equipped with a database of information on all people that are and have been entering Thailand, to make judgement if they a worthy of a Visa.

news for ya, i have a grip. i have many friends from western countries teaching english in thailand and making 20 to 30,000 baht a month. its enough for them

I wonder how All the self righteous people on here and other threads will react when they start with your tyoe of visa. You're literary cheering the misery of these people of whom most have the means to stay here and don't work or do any crime.

Of course Thailand has the right to enforce their immigration laws but dont talk about these people like you're better then them. Immigration will move to the othet type of visas because also those were not always properly enforced/checked. E.g. people borrowing the 400k or 800k

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

I'm sure of few of these kind are already sweating!!

Not a single person on a Non-Imm O, OA, or B has been refused entry into Thailand (so far).

Clearly there are very many different definitions of a tourist, I'd say it's someone who is here for leisure with no intention of working or running any kind of business. Not every tourist stays in hotels and not every tourist has an ongoing ticket. Just because someone has been a tourist for 2 years already does no nesseserally mean that person is not a real tourist.

The crackdown is to prevent people using a Tourist Visa or Exempt Stamp to come to Thailand and then work.. that can happen on someones first ever visit.

2 years is a resident not a tourist. does your home country allow 2 yr tourists?

Yes, if you can afford it they will even let you buy land.

The Chinese have virtually taken over complete suburbs and sent the prices of house in certain places through the roof. Many Thai's here have been allowed to build restaurants and are treated equally. They had the means and they were granted residency.

Does thailand allow that?? Didn't think so!!!

Btw.... and no there is no prize for you for originality in that reply, it's been done to death. Try being a little more creative with your next post.

Get a grip.

People from these countries would not dare work for 15,000 baht a month, and that's being generous. Immigration could take one look at where you are from and work out the probability of you working illegally in Thailand. You want to catch those working illegally, use better methods.

If you need to change and enforce the laws make it clear. Turning people away at borders with valid Visa's is a effin disgrace. With today's technology every Visa issuing office should be equipped with a database of information on all people that are and have been entering Thailand, to make judgement if they a worthy of a Visa.

news for ya, i have a grip. i have many friends from western countries teaching english in thailand and making 20 to 30,000 baht a month. its enough for them

Many friends on 20k - 30k?? Are they legal ??? If thats enough for them or anyone else and they are not breaking the law, no problem, if they want to live like paupers thats their choice.. however once again sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me, but then as I posted before, your the type who has an answer for everything. I call it BS!!

Get a grip.

Many friends on 20k - 30k?? Are they legal ??? If thats enough for them or anyone else and they are not breaking the law, no problem, if they want to live like paupers thats their choice.. however once again sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me, but then as I posted before, your the type who has an answer for everything. I call it BS!!

call it what you like, immaterial to me.

Let's say that I am 40 years old and have passive income in my home country that has allowed me to retire and I spend 2m baht a year in Thailand.

I want to live in Thailand but I am not married to a Thai, do not want to work in Thailand, too young for retirement visa.

That means that I have two options:

500k elite card

or

10m baht investment visa?

Edited by farang000999

Let's say that I am 40 years old and have passive income in my home country that has allowed me to retire and I spend 2m baht a year in Thailand.

I want to live in Thailand but I am not married to a Thai, do not want to work in Thailand, too young for retirement visa.

500k elite card

or

or a job

500k elite card

or

Get the Elite card, it's an easy fix for any potential issues down the road and quick to get. You don't need to leave the country to get it and you could have it in 10 days time.

I got one just over a month ago when it was plain as day what is going to happen over the coming months.

Before that my plan was a new triple entry tourist visa from Europe. I've been here on various visas and visa exempt entries for a good few years now.

Edited by ukrules

500k elite card

or

or a job

See what I mean. An answer for everything.

He said he did not want to work in Thailand.

Why don't you do us all a favor & just stop replying for a day or two???

500k elite card

or

or a job

See what I mean. An answer for everything.

He said he did not want to work in Thailand.

Why don't you do us all a favor & just stop replying for a day or two???

i'll get back to you on that

How does one prove that they are a genuine tourist?

Do you not read anything in the OP pieces?

Legitimate tourists who wish to enter Thailand are advised to show officials hotel bookings or some kind of travel itinerary.

In addition to this, I would add that (in their eyes), you are probably NOT a tourist when:

1. You have no luggage

2. You have numerous out/in stamps back to back or in close relationship to each other

3. You leave the border at 10am and reenter at 1pm on the same day

4. You are on a bus/van that caters specifically for out/in border runs

Get the picture?

While I don't disagree with your post but just a significant point - for many years the Thai Immigration Authorities have been allowing, tolerating and even facilitating exactly what you posted above. There was no subterfuge in general on the part of the Border Runners. But all that is gone now or will soon be.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

but why target genuine tourists who want to spend few months in thailand

They aren't. They can get a double-entry tourist visa from their own country (as long as it isn't back-to-back).

One of the problems is ... when a country offers a visa exemption on arrival for 30 days when arriving by air (some call it rightly or wrongly a visa on arrival) - any particular tourist very often does not investigate further. And why should they - problem solved - no visa needed? They can get into the country and not have to research the finer points of the country's array of tourists visa options. Then after getting here in Thailand (if they have more available time and money) the best things that Thailand has to offer captures them and they opt to stay longer.. And they stay longer by using what they see and hear going on about them -- Border Runs - tour companies everywhere advertising them.. They make a border run - get thirty days - all seems normal and so on and so on. This is how it has worked for years and now we have what we have - a mess.

The best thing Thailand could have done was starting a month or two ago... examine the passport / visa and if the IO found excessive ins and outs according to their rules. The 'tourist' should have been given a written warning to sign, given a short grace period to leave. With special stamps designed for the purpose. That would have been a proper warning and the word would have spread among the non TVF readers.

But the horse is out of the gate and Thailand will have to ride that horse and try to repair public relations damage that will cause harm to their tourist industry.

Note IMO - if it matters Thailand has the perfect right to do what they did. They shouldn't have allowed it to happen in first place. Thailand should have had the guts to tackle the whole set of visa laws in the past few years - but shoulda, coulda, woulda, is all they can say now.

Also in my opinion ... since the Military Junta has assumed massive powers they should convene a reasonable sized commission and wholesale rewrite the Visa Laws ... they have that power and should do it. The result would not likely be any worse than is in place now and hopefully a lot better reflecting the 21st. Century.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

Do you not read anything in the OP pieces?

Legitimate tourists who wish to enter Thailand are advised to show officials hotel bookings or some kind of travel itinerary.

In addition to this, I would add that (in their eyes), you are probably NOT a tourist when:

1. You have no luggage

2. You have numerous out/in stamps back to back or in close relationship to each other

3. You leave the border at 10am and reenter at 1pm on the same day

4. You are on a bus/van that caters specifically for out/in border runs

Get the picture?

While I don't disagree with your post but just a significant point - for many years the Thai Immigration Authorities have been allowing, tolerating and even facilitating exactly what you posted above. There was no subterfuge in general on the part of the Border Runners. But all that is gone now or will soon be.

So what? People need to move with the times and not live in the past. What worked before, was allowed before, was tolerated before no longer matters. It's the past. Now is what needs to be dealt with.

And sorry, no again, I disagree with your implied statement that the "border runners" didn't know exactly what they were doing and what a "grey" area it was. 99% of them knew exactly what they were doing and used the situation at that time to their advantage. Now they can't.

500k elite card

or

Let me turn that question around a bit and see what the response will be:

Let's say that I am 40 years old and have passive income in my home country that has allowed me to retire and I spend $30,000 USD a year in the USA.

I want to live in the USA but I am not married to a USA woman, I do not want to work in the USA, and am too young for retirement visa.

How would you answer that?

The whole discussion here proves only 1 thing:

If immigration want to change the rules they have to write down the new rules (in detail), on paper and on their website.

The rules should be clear and there should not be a grey area.

The whole discussion here proves only 1 thing:

If immigration want to change the rules they have to write down the new rules (in detail), on paper and on their website.

The rules should be clear and there should not be a grey area.

the word should be should not must. they can do what they like.

Life isn't fair and too many people have had it too good fot too long. The day of reckoning is here and what anyone thinks is right or wrong is going in one ear and out the other of the authorities. Their mantra and advice to everyone is to get the correct visa and unfortunately that means periods of time spent outside of Thailand for many. How much money a person spends is irrelevant and does not entitle that person to any extra priviledges. The visas are out there and their are plenty of options, but if you don't qualify or can't afford the correct visa, then it seems you could be screwed. I have no doubt, the abuse of Ed visas will be next and then the detection and punishment of overstayers. That just seems a logical step and is going to disrupt many peoples hopes and aspirations of the life they want to live in this beautiful country.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

3 and a bit people per day. Suggest the immigration guys need to pull the finger out and try harder.

Well if you have a visa, you have reasonable expectation to be allowed to enter the country.

There is only a presumption by the border officials that a visa holder could be working. Do Thai immigration (and Samran) really believe people who could make $15 an hour working legally in their own countries are flocking to Thailand to work illegally for $15 a day with no benefits, then exit and enter the country again every 60 days ?

many are .

Get a grip.

Yes it's very common. I see many teachers like this every week here in Bangkok. There are also a few living in the smallest/cheapest studios in the same place that I stay at.

many are .

Get a grip.

I have friends here teaching without a WP and they make between 50-70k depending how many private lessons they give.

If they were made legal due to the degree requirement being done away with they would be paying tax on most of it. Thailand's loss again.

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

That is official from the horse's mouth.

Thank you, most helpful. Now i know why the IO was very unhappy with me even though I had been out of Thailand for 8 months. Time for me to be a long term tourist somewhere else. Your priceless post certainly confirms this. I am now under no illusions.

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

Thank you, most helpful. Now i know why the IO was very unhappy with me even though I had been out of Thailand for 8 months. Time for me to be a long term tourist somewhere else. Your priceless post certainly confirms this. I am now under no illusions.

Why was he unhappy with you?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

think again!

Trying to enter the country without a luggage, wearing a business attire, having numerous back to back tourist visas, just to name a few, should already be a sign....

Of course, you can object, but if you are honnest with yourself, you will just think how you are when you enter a country a s tourist....

I have my own condo with everything I need, so no big luggage. I fly to Thailand 5-7 times a year and stay a week or three max. Then I fly back to work overseas. I checked my passport and so far this year I have been in country total of 5 weeks. No bookings, and no check-out time! Thats why I bought the condo! What does it matter what I wear on the plane, am I not a tourist? If not what am I?

Are you doing back to back entries, NO - so an entirely different scenario.

It's official.

u

Why was he unhappy with you?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

too many visas, i. e. more than 6months in 2 years. Exempt entries aand tourist visas but many not back to back. I enjoy a week to a month out of Thailand. They are saying only visa bounce, immediate return, but this is not true. If you've got more than 3 exempt and tourist visas combined in my opinion you won't be getting back into Thailand. Feel the vibe man. It tells it all.

think again!

Trying to enter the country without a luggage, wearing a business attire, having numerous back to back tourist visas, just to name a few, should already be a sign....

Of course, you can object, but if you are honnest with yourself, you will just think how you are when you enter a country a s tourist....

I have my own condo with everything I need, so no big luggage. I fly to Thailand 5-7 times a year and stay a week or three max. Then I fly back to work overseas. I checked my passport and so far this year I have been in country total of 5 weeks. No bookings, and no check-out time! Thats why I bought the condo! What does it matter what I wear on the plane, am I not a tourist? If not what am I?

Are you doing back to back entries, NO - so an entirely different scenario.
diplomatically I want to say I am astonished to see how many are so gullible to take immigration at their word thinking it's only going to apply to back to back visas. This is a royal flush out for those who have too many stamps in their passports, back to back or otherwise. At least I see it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. However if you can convince border post guy you're not working there's still hope perhaps.

diplomatically I want to say I am astonished to see how many are so gullible to take immigration at their word thinking it's only going to apply to back to back visas. This is a royal flush out for those who have too many stamps in their passports, back to back or otherwise. At least I see it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. However if you can convince border post guy you're not working there's still hope perhaps.

Diplomatically I want to say, "time to stop trolling." Have you ever crossed into Thailand? Have you ever visited Thailand? Where and when and for how long. Try and let the folks who have some experience with boots on the ground relate their experiences instead of stirring the pot with things you imagine.

If I am wrong and you have made a border crossing recently please inform us.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Thai immigration in the 40 times I have interacted with them over the past ten years.

Stop spreading rumors and try personal experiences.

Also, I see a fundamental difference between the land borders to Cambo, Lao and Malaysia on one hand and to Burma on the other.

Of you are denied re - entry from Malaysia, bad enough, but you still have the chance to get the right visa in Penang or at worst fly out of the country.

Now.... If you are refused re- entry from those dodgy border crossings like Tachi Lek.... What are you going to do?? Stay there for ever? You are not allowed to proceed to Rangoon an fly out!

The officials HAVE to find some solution there.