Just got a retirement extension in Chiang Mai. Pretty simple, but time-consuming.

Went early, immigration was already crowded. They gave me a number and told me to come back at 2pm. Got back at 1:30, finally got my number called at 4:30. Lots of applicants slowed down the process by not having either pics or copies of relevant passport pages; they had to go out back and stand in another line to get this stuff, while the immigration official (and the rest of the applicants) waited for them.

I showed 'em my passport, with signed copies of the picture page, current visa page, most recent entry stamp, and departure card. Also, a letter from the US consulate with proof of sufficient income, plus a pic, and that was it. They weren't interested in the documentation regarding my living arrangements.

The time spent with the immigration official was less than ten minutes, but had to wait another hour for the final sign-off from another official. Simple, uneventful, even a little bit amusing while I waited, as I ran into a couple of friends, chatted with a couple of strangers, etc. My best bud was a completely animated little 9-year-old boy from Bangladesh who spoke practically Oxford English. His mom kept telling him not to bother me, but I encouraged him, his charisma on full display for everyone! All the officials were polite and helpful. As far as the applicants, when their names and nationalities were called to come retrieve their passports, most were from the US, with the UK second, Myanmar third, and China fourth, for what it's worth.

Only stressed-out person I saw all day was a westerner who was involved in some sort of lengthy negotiations with some officials in the back office, seemingly trying to dig himself out of a deep pile of manure. Poor guy looked hung-over, kept gesticulating all over the place... Officials just dead-panned him. Maybe some kind of overstay thing.

You could have tried to book an appointment on Immigration

website,up to 100 days before the extension is ready to be

renewed,maybe next time?,it saves a lot of hassle,just check

out the thread at top of Chiang Mai forum for website.

regards Worgeordie