Liptor & Madiplot Replacements (cholesterol hypertension)

haveaniceday

I have read here but can not find that people use other cheaper drugs than these. I am looking for alternatives to discus with new doctors.

Colesterol

I replaced Lipitor with ASTORSAN a Thai GPO generic to save cost about 6 months ago.

2 weeks after starting Lipitor about 1 year ago, I started getting daily leg cramps, they are very painfull, I was told recently when I bought the subject up that it is not related to Lipitor( Astorsan) and a rude comment about being a Google Dr was made, I got the info from the possible side effect from the info in the box. Well I basically did not return and will change Dr's that I am happy with. I want to change and try to trouble shoot what is happening with these leg cramps.

Are there alternatives to Lipitor available in Thailand?

Any alt for Madiplot (Hypertension), Although slightly high, my BP is somewhat under control now and been steadily been loosing fat at 1.4kg a month.

Other drugs in the same class as Lipitor (Atorvastatin) include: Simvastatin (include Atorsan), Rosuvastatin, Pravastatin, Lovastatin, Fluvastatin & Pitavastatin.

Other drugs in the same class as Madiplot (Manidipine) include: Amlodipine, Nifedipine, Verapamil, Diltiazem, Nimodipine, Felodipine, Nicardipine, Nisoldipine, Isradipine, Clevidipine, Diltiazem Hydrochloride & Verapamil Hydrochloride.

You'd need to check MIMS to find out which of these are available in Thailand. However, don't self-prescribe - it's dangerous. Go and talk to a good endocrinologist and discuss your situation. If you mention where you are living in Thailand someone might be able to make a suggestion here.

Incidentally, are you suggesting that Madiplot is responsible for your weight loss? It's not a known side effect. If you don't know why you're losing weight, you should get that checked out. It could be a symptom of some other condition.

Was not aware that medication was still available - I am using Sandoz Atorvastatin as replacement for Lipitor but it is not much less expensive. There are much cheaper cholesterol lowering drugs but not the same formula. Believe most people use simvastatin under many brand names at about 10% or less of the Lipitor cost but would not change unless new doctor feels it fits.

As with above there are many types and brands of blood pressure control medications available. Amlodipine, mentioned above, is one that I take and locally made.

Believe poster is trying to lose the fat.

I am not totally clear on what you are looking for, as it sounds like you have already sourced a Thai made brand of Atorvastatin, and in any event a change of brands will not help with side effects.

Muscle pain is indeed a side effect of not only Atorvastatin but all statins.

Alternatives to stains include Niaspan (ling -acting niacin) and fibrin acid derivatives, bile sequestors etc. The choice of drug needs to be tailored to individual needs so consult a doctor regarding this.

And I would change doctors if the one you see dismisses muscle pain as related to statins, since it is one of the main and most well known side effects of that class of drugs.

This is a good overview http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772

and this http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/guide/cholesterol-lowering-medication

Regarding Madiplot (manidipine) the only brand of it available in Thailand is Madiplot, which is imported and expensive. There are however drugs of the same class (calcium antagonists) that are locally made e.g. amliodipine, of which there are many local brands.

Note that yhere are some lifestyle modifications that can help, if not already tried, i.e. diet, wt loss, exercise,