Russian women robbed by Phuket bag-snatchers

webfact

Russian women robbed by Phuket bag-snatchers
Eakkapop Thongtub

1405482961_1-org.jpg
The two Russian women show police where the robbery took place.

PHUKET: -- Two Russians women were robbed by bag snatchers late on Monday night (July 14). The snatchers pounced on Bang Tao Bay in front of Jaspal Tailor and got away with US$500, B2,000, and RUB1,500 cash, along with Visa Electron card.

Cherng Talay police said that the two women, whom they named as Anna Kochkova, 22, and Svetlana Glonebera, 31, were walking along the road just after 11pm when the bag-snatchers on a motorbike swept past, taking the bag with them.

Police and tourist police returned with the women to the scene to see exactly where it happened, and are checking CCTV footage to see if they can identify the robbers and track them down.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-women-robbed-by-phuket-bag-snatchers-47366.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-16

i guess we will see more of that, once the visa run companies start closing their doors

Yes, less tourists in general, changing demographic of the tourist coming here - spending less, less visa runner expats allowed to reside here, world cup gambling debts to repay, rising abuse of drugs - particularly ice, bar girls not getting as many customers and supporting their boyfriends and families, unemployment and loss of profits from the removal of beach bars and restaurants, higher cost of living on Phuket, local men too lazy to do manual labour etc etc.

It all points to an impending rising crime rate on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

i guess we will see more of that, once the visa run companies start closing their doors

Yes, less tourists in general, changing demographic of the tourist coming here - spending less, less visa runner expats allowed to reside here, world cup gambling debts to repay, rising abuse of drugs - particularly ice, bar girls not getting as many customers and supporting their boyfriends and families, unemployment and loss of profits from the removal of beach bars and restaurants, higher cost of living on Phuket, local men too lazy to do manual labour etc etc.

Really Mister Doom and Gloom? Maybe all those seasonal employees from the other provinces might get the clue and not come back this year. I love it this time of year, there is very little traffic on my end of the island. I'm enjoying the low season and the take back of the King's land!

• Like 1

Really Mister Doom and Gloom? Maybe all those seasonal employees from the other provinces might get the clue and not come back this year. I love it this time of year, there is very little traffic on my end of the island. I'm enjoying the low season and the take back of the King's land!

No doom and gloom.

It's a well known fact that harsh economic conditions result in a rise in crime.

No doom and gloom.

It's a well known fact that harsh economic conditions result in a rise in crime.

Have to agree with ice man on this. Even if many unemployed return to their home provinces there will still be many unemployed & disgruntled people who will turn to crime. Does anyone ever see some guy on a motorbike riding slowly around the neighbourhood with head moving from side to side? Beware of them as they are potential burglars. Just a couple of days ago one of our customers woke up at 2am to confront a burglar who then tried getting out the front door but could not open it so then bolted for the glass slider at the back & charged straight through it smashing all the glass & mosquito screen. Luckily for the owner this guy did not have a weapon.

@ Valentine

"Even if many unemployed return to their home provinces there will still be many unemployed & disgruntled people who will turn to crime." - correct.

Food still has to be put on the table up in the village, or money found for that next high on ice and/or alcohol, or the rent paid etc etc.

No point doing a bag snatch in the village for a few hundred baht, when you can do one on Phuket for thousands of baht and/or hundreds of dollars.

No doom and gloom.

Have to agree with ice man on this. Even if many unemployed return to their home provinces there will still be many unemployed & disgruntled people who will turn to crime. Does anyone ever see some guy on a motorbike riding slowly around the neighbourhood with head moving from side to side? Beware of them as they are potential burglars. Just a couple of days ago one of our customers woke up at 2am to confront a burglar who then tried getting out the front door but could not open it so then bolted for the glass slider at the back & charged straight through it smashing all the glass & mosquito screen. Luckily for the owner this guy did not have a weapon.

He is claiming this year after year. And I have not seen an increase in crime, despite the gloom and doom predictions.

@ stevenl

We will never know the true crime statisitics on Phuket, because I'm sure they will be distorted, so as to not tarnish Phuket's image.

We can only go on "reported crime." That is, the crimes that are reported in the media, not those reported to the police.

Don't you think there has been more crime reported in the media on Phuket in recent times?

I note the violence involved in those crimes has increased, and certainly the use and possession of drugs, particularly ice, has been reported a lot more in recent times.

Recent heinous crimes here was the raping of a pregnant women, the stabbing and robbing of an Italian tourist, and robbing and slashing of a Russian tourist.

Long before the Army came to Phuket, it was the same. Crime reports in the media, almost on a daily basis.

Do you have any evidence that crime has not risen on Phuket over recent times?

Edited by NamKangMan

@ stevenl

We will never know the true crime statisitics on Phuket, because I'm sure they will be distorted, so as to not tarnish Phuket's image.

We can only go on "reported crime." That is, the crimes that are reported in the media, not those reported to the police.

Don't you think there has been more crime reported in the media on Phuket in recent times?

I note the violence involved in those crimes has increased, and certainly the use and possession of drugs, particularly ice, has been reported a lot more in recent times.

Recent heinous crimes here was the raping of a pregnant women, the stabbing and robbing of an Italian tourist, and robbing and slashing of a Russian tourist.

Long before the Army came to Phuket, it was the same. Crime reports in the media, almost on a daily basis.

A bit like not being allowed to report the true road accident statistics for fear it will hurt tourism. This head in the sand to save face, & continue the greed, is the bane of this country. Hopefully the good general will have this on his agenda which must be really full by now.

@ stevenl

'We will never know' and 'I'm sure' about the same subject directly after each other cheesy.gif .

As I said 'I have not seen an increase in crime, despite the gloom and doom predictions.' which have been coming year after year after year here from certain members. Is crime on the rise? I don't know. Is crime on the decline? I don't know. I don't have any evidence either way, and I presume neither do you, just a feeling. If you do though, please share.

And it seems my feelings are telling me something different from your feelings.

If only half of the bad things get reported, that's probably enough to tarnish the image of Phuket. Do tourists care, not sure. It is reported that an Australian tourist dies every 10 days in Bali, but Aussies just cant get enough of the dump?

• Like 1

@ stevenl

'We will never know' and 'I'm sure' about the same subject directly after each other cheesy.gif .

As I said 'I have not seen an increase in crime, despite the gloom and doom predictions.' which have been coming year after year after year here from certain members. Is crime on the rise? I don't know. Is crime on the decline? I don't know. I don't have any evidence either way, and I presume neither do you, just a feeling. If you do though, please share.

Well, it's quite funny that you are saying you haven't noticed a rise in crime on Phuket, when this thread title is, "Russian women robbed by Phuket bag-snatchers." cheesy.gif

You do read the Thaivisa Phuket Forum, which has media releases from several sources. I put it to you that those media sources, and therefore, this forum, has reported on more crime, not less crime, not the same amount of crime, that is, more crime, in recent times.

I find it hard to believe you are denying that media reported crime has not risen in recent times.

Of course, as stated before, I note you have business interests on Phuket.

@ stevenl

Well, it's quite funny that you are saying you haven't noticed a rise in crime on Phuket, when this thread title is, "Russian women robbed by Phuket bag-snatchers." cheesy.gif

You do read the Thaivisa Phuket Forum, which has media releases from several sources. I put it to you that those media sources, and therefore, this forum, has reported on more crime, not less crime, not the same amount of crime, that is, more crime, in recent times.

I find it hard to believe you are denying that media reported crime has not risen in recent times.

As I said, looking forward to your statistics.

And although amount of crime reports in the media is not the same as amount of crime, I'll also accept a statistic on crime reports in the media over the last few years (further back would IMO not be relevant since the Phuket media landscape has changed).

As I said, I don't know, you don't know. We both think but in different directions. Your sneer towards my interests is again ludicrous.

@ stevenl

As I said, looking forward to your statistics.

And although amount of crime reports in the media is not the same as amount of crime, I'll also accept a statistic on crime reports in the media over the last few years (further back would IMO not be relevant since the Phuket media landscape has changed).

As I said, I don't know, you don't know. We both think but in different directions. Your sneer towards my interests is again ludicrous.

Well, I gain my statistics from the fact that I definately know I'm reading more reports about crime, particularly more violent crime, and the use and possession of the drug, ice. I suggest, in some cases, the two are linked, but not in every case.

For every report of crime in the media I read, that's another crime committed, is it not? This thread is yet just another example, and I am leaving out the Mayor of Karon and the 78 taxi drivers, which I'm sure boosted crime stats for June, of course, despite those 78 arrests, some would still argue that the crime stats decreased in June. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Any claims based on those 'statistics' don't deserve the virtual paper they're on.

And with you claiming things but unable to prove them there is no point in continuing this. And to prevent you from arguing this: no, I have not claimed crime is down, I have only claimed I have not noticed an increase and have the feeling (mark the difference) it is not on the up.

Any claims based on those 'statistics' don't deserve the virtual paper they're on.

And with you claiming things but unable to prove them there is no point in continuing this. And to prevent you from arguing this: no, I have not claimed crime is down, I have only claimed I have not noticed an increase and have the feeling (mark the difference) it is not on the up.

"Any claims based on those 'statistics' don't deserve the virtual paper they're on." - so, were these two Russian ladies robbed, or not?

Is this a troll thread? biggrin.png

I mean, is their report of the crime committed against them worthy of the paper it is written on, or not?

Just to clarify, do you agree this crime was committed, or not?

If you do agree, haven't you read more similar articles in recent times, than in the past? Eg. the Italian kicked off his bike, robbed and stabbed - and the Russian lady slashed and robbed.

Edited by NamKangMan