Badly in need of a root!

No Aussies, I don't want the phone broken, but I’ve recently purchased an Asus Zenfone 4, and I've apps which need need a rooted platform, so I'm desperate to have privileged control over its Android OS.

With no luck, I’ve tried both of the root methods which are available on the net.

Now, at a shop, I’m going to approach the Android phone OS experts and engage them to root it, on my behalf.

Can someone one advise of a shop’s name and its location in Bangkok which, from their knowledge and experience, are able to definitely root phones?

Edited by somchaismith

Don't get your hopes high. Check XDA for intel cpu android root. This is a pretty new phone so you may have to wait for root programs to be updated in order to support Asus zenfone.

However if one can root lenovo k900 or similar intel atom phones, same method may work in zenfone too.

• Like 1

Did you see this page?

Already applied that method multiple times, but just keep getting an error of 'system update failed'. Even tried the method on the youtube video, which is mentioned on thae samepage, it just got the phone stuck in demo mode and I had to use 'factory reset' to get the phone back to stock.

Your biggest mistake is to think Somchai here has more knowledge than the people in XDA.

Perhaps in Vietnam you can find some Android masters but Thailand is not the place.

Check vietnam custom roms in needrom.com, there are so many.

Your biggest mistake is to think Somchai here has more knowledge than the people in XDA.

Perhaps in Vietnam you can find some Android masters but Thailand is not the place.

Check vietnam custom roms in needrom.com, there are so many.

Maybe the experts, at the mobile shop can get the XDA roots working, for me.

I'm in the same boat. Bought a Zenfone 4 a few days ago and still trying to root it. Apparently Asus has done a great job of locking it down.

I'm starting to think that the roots on the net, for this phone, are a just some kind of advertising ploy or practical jokes, as only a small percentage of the replies confirm that the 2 roots actually work. There's even a code to enter after the demo mode root doesn't work and it hijacks your phone.

If you manage to find a solution, let me know.

http://asus-zenfone.blogspot.com/2014/05/asus-zenfone-demo-mode-deactivation.html

As it was mentioned, the phone is pretty new so there may be no workable root that covers all the variations (if there's many) yet. It's the same with pretty much any new model so you need to sit tight and wait until more rooting methods appear. It's also wrong to think that if folks on XDA don't have a very good luck rooting this phone, that some guy in the Pantip basement will be able to root it.

If there are a few root methods on XDA and if you have an XDA account, take your issues over there, you'd more likely get some useful help on that forum than here.

• Like 1

As it was mentioned, the phone is pretty new so there may be no workable root that covers all the variations (if there's many) yet. It's the same with pretty much any new model so you need to sit tight and wait until more rooting methods appear. It's also wrong to think that if folks on XDA don't have a very good luck rooting this phone, that some guy in the Pantip basement will be able to root it.

If there are a few root methods on XDA and if you have an XDA account, take your issues over there, you'd more likely get some useful help on that forum than here.

Actually I already have joined XDA and a poster has guaranteed me that the main root works, so I can only assume it must be something that I'm doing wrong in the application of the root method.

That's why I'd like a shop to give rooting my phone a fly. Maybe they can get it to stick.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat. Bought a Zenfone 4 a few days ago and still trying to root it. Apparently Asus has done a great job of locking it down.

Hi, how did you go with finding a root for your phone?

After wasting my time with all the click bait and false reviews on the net, I tried the August 29 release root for the latest zenfon, the 4.5. Bingo, piece of cake, success!

http://www.asuszenfoneblog.com/2014/08/how-to-root-asus-zenfone-a450cg.html

Edited by somchaismith
  • Like 1

Hey there's a few of us in Chiang Mai looking to learn a little bit about rooting phones, jailbreaking, etc. Would anyone on this thread interested in teaching us? Or maybe have any friends interested in teaching us? We've agreed to put our money together and pay someone with intermediate or better skill 300 baht per hour.

Hey there's a few of us in Chiang Mai looking to learn a little bit about rooting phones, jailbreaking, etc. Would anyone on this thread interested in teaching us? Or maybe have any friends interested in teaching us? We've agreed to put our money together and pay someone with intermediate or better skill 300 baht per hour.

Why would anyone anywhere want to pay as a group learn how to manipulate the security of a mobile phone?

Besides, there are many, many websites that have step-by-step tutorials that do a great job for free. xda developers is a great site.

And every new/variation of an android/iOS/windows/bada/blackberry/tizen device requires finding and exploiting vulnerabilities unique to that manufacturer or device. Much better to follow the popular sites and see what methods or tools have been or are being developed.

What special need do you have that requires a rooted or jail-broken phone?

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

Why would anyone anywhere want to pay as a group learn how to manipulate the security of a mobile phone?

Besides, there are many, many websites that have step-by-step tutorials that do a great job for free. xda developers is a great site.

And every new/variation of an android/iOS/windows/bada/blackberry/tizen device requires finding and exploiting vulnerabilities unique to that manufacturer or device. Much better to follow the popular sites and see what methods or tools have been or are being developed.

I've been rooting phones for years and it still makes me want to head butt the table.. So fiddly, so many different ROMs and so much terminology that I don't really get.

"Why would anyone anywhere want to pay as a group learn how to manipulate the security of a mobile phone?"

Sorry I'm a bit confused by this question. Do you mean: It's not really useful, so why would anyone want to know how to do this? Or do you mean: it's useful, but pointless to get a group of people together to learn it at the same time?

A few things I've read about:

1. Be able to edit the code of an app so you can block ads.

2. Save battery life and adjust performance to exactly how you want it

3. Phone carriers block certain features of your phone and then charge you if you want to use them. With a rooted phone you can turn you phone into a wireless hotspot for free, instead of paying a $10 / month charge to have that functionality.

http://gizmodo.com/5982287/reasons-to-root-your-android-device

http://lifehacker.com/top-10-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone-1079161983

There's a few ideas about what you can do, although I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it once I have it. My friends and are just Learnists and like to know about how to do things that can benefit your life in some way.

• Like 1

"Why would anyone anywhere want to pay as a group learn how to manipulate the security of a mobile phone?"

Sorry I'm a bit confused by this question. Do you mean: It's not really useful, so why would anyone want to know how to do this? Or do you mean: it's useful, but pointless to get a group of people together to learn it at the same time?

3. Phone carriers block certain features of your phone and then charge you if you want to use them. With a rooted phone you can turn you phone into a wireless hotspot for free, instead of paying a $10 / month charge to have that functionality.

There's a few ideas about what you can do, although I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it once I have it. My friends and are just Learnists and like to know about how to do things that can benefit your life in some way.

Yeah, I'm also trying to get my head around changing to a Custom Rom on a smartphone.

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-install-a-new-rom-on-your-andoid-smartphone

Edited by somchaismith

Yeah, I'm also trying to get my head around changing to a Custom Rom on a smartphone.

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-install-a-new-rom-on-your-andoid-smartphone

Well I'll elaborate a little on what RichCor said. There's no need to pay someone to learn and no point of group lessons, unless everyone in the group is using exact same phone.

Every brand (and often different models from a same manufacturer) requires different root methods. There is no point of a group lesson because it is impossible to cover every every device from every manufacturer. The best you can do is search xda or even google for your particular phone model, or ask here on TV and you more than likely will get some useful advice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember back in the day custom roms for my xda mini, viewpad tablet etc always ended up getting as hot as a burglar.

I used to pull me hair out, thank God I ditched it and went Iphone/ipad combo.....it just works!!!

I don't see the logic. Android with custom roms etc or Apple with no custom roms and little in the way of user config.

• Like 1

I have an LG G3 that I picked up about early July.. For a while I was having trouble and was grumbling on here about it. I have reflashed it to the latest Android and suddenly it's great. Battery life is very good. Rarely gets warm. Very slick to use. Unfortunately, there was bloatware on it from just about every phone company in the world, so I had to root it again, this time using stumproot, which runs as an app without being attached to a PC.