Vaccinations

rachele703

> Where is the best place to get vaccinations (such as

> typhiod, rabies and hep A)

So pretty straightforward shots.. Any hospital outpatient clinic would do. Myself I'd probably check at Lanna Hospital first. Do ask about cost & options first. Often it doesn't make sense to go for the most expensive option, but then perhaps sometimes it does.

Or if money is no object whatsoever then go straight to Chiang Mai Ram. I don't think we're talkign about a huge amount of money for these things anyway, but do ask about cost, of course.

Cheers,

Chanchao

As long as the clinic or hospital store the vacciens at the right temp and do not break the cold chain one place is about as good as the other.

If this was BKK I would say the Thai Red Cross due to price and their experience.

PS: Hep A is now thought to be for life and not just the initial 10 years it was thought to last.

From the WHO site - the PMS (Post Marketing studies are now pushing the effifacy right out

"Although one dose of vaccine provides at least short-term protection, the manufacturers currently recommend two doses to ensure long-term protection. In studies evaluating the duration of protection of two or more doses of hepatitis A vaccine, 99%–100% of vaccinated individuals had levels of antibody indicative of protection five to eight years after vaccination. Kinetic models of antibody decay indicate that the duration of protection is likely to be at least 20 years, and possibly lifelong. Post-marketing surveillance studies are needed to monitor vaccine-induced long-term protection, and to determine the need for booster doses of vaccine. "

Since we're on the topic of vaccines, what other vaccines does most farang get when they move here? I talked with a few people and they told me that Japanese Encephalitus is a MUST. Are there any others that any of you have had here (such as the TB shot?)

As far as the regular stff (ie Hep), we had our done at a clinic that had a proper fridge for them. I'd trust any hospital as well.

As a result of a recent trip to the hospital for an asthma related problem it came to light that my Thai lady had never had any vaccinations as a child. The hospital did them up in a couple of visits. Chiang Mai Ram hospital. I can’t tell you the exact cost because she had some other medications prescribed also but I think it was around 1000 Baht.

Since we're on the topic of vaccines, what other vaccines does most farang get when they move here? I talked with a few people and they told me that Japanese Encephalitus is a MUST. Are there any others that any of you have had here (such as the TB shot?)

I had a smallpox vacination when I was about two years old, and that was it. However, I do have two doses of Tamilflu in the fridge just in case :o

I had a smallpox vacination when I was about two years old, and that was it. However, I do have two doses of Tamilflu in the fridge just in case :o

Is it a course or 2 tablets? Where did you get them?

The Tamilflu vaccine is in sealed ampules, which require injection. Currently not available in Thailand to the general public. It needs to be obtained overseas. I just didn't like the thought of being stuck here with the only available supplies reserved for the government and associated heirarchy.

The Tamilflu vaccine is in sealed ampules, which require injection. Currently not available in Thailand to the general public. It needs to be obtained overseas. I just didn't like the thought of being stuck here with the only available supplies reserved for the government and associated heirarchy.

Let me rephrase my question, how did you manage to get Tamiflu?

As far as the regular stff (ie Hep), we had our done at a clinic that had a proper fridge for them. I'd trust any hospital as well.

Here is the latest on flu and vaccinations:

Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule --- United States, October 2005--September 2006

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/m...unizationa1.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5440-Immunization.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

Cheers, Tango

• 2 weeks later...

I did happen to take a look at the site. Perhaps I'm blind but I don't see Thailand mentioned on any of them.

In any case, our family went to Chiang Mai Ram yesterday and asked them what vaccines we should get while living in Thailand. Apparently, there is no government standard but the same basic shots are given as what you would receive if living in a Western country (ie, DPTP, MMR, Hep B, etc) . But, they also said that it was important to get the following if you plan to live in the country for a while:

Japanese Encephalitus

TB Vaccine

Cholera (depending on area)

We had our first of three Japense Encephalitus shots yesterday - 800 baht.

Yes, not that cheap...it was 500 baht for the medication and the other 300 baht was doctor fees, nurse fees, etc

In any case, the doctor told us that the Japanese Encephalitus vaccine was quite important to get. (Others had told us this before as well which is why we went in the first place).

800 Baht? That is a steal! The travel clininc here in Canada just informed me that the Japanese Encephalitis vaccination is a 3 shot cycle that costs.... $115 (CAD) EACH! That is $345 for the whole cycle. Unbelievable... thanks for the info Earl, I will be waiting until I get to Chiang Mai.

• 1 year later...

WOW... I wish I'd read this thread 2 weeks ago. Just got the first 2 JE shots at $130 (USD) EACH, and I'm due for the third in 2 weeks. Ouch. I'll be waiting till I arrive in CM in April to get the rabies vaccine.

This thread was really helpful!

Hi,

I've just realised that some of my vaccinations are out of date and need 're-doing'. Where is the best place to get vaccinations (such as typhiod, rabies and hep A)

Thanks

Maharaj (Suan Dok) Hospital is reasonably priced and efficient. Specialty Clinic is on the 13th floor.