Lucky to have got out in time or not?

a99az

funny, we've 'gone that far'. Final interviews and all. Just waiting for a minister to be appointed.

Final count....5000 odd baht from memory.

I'm glad you are a superior human. Heres 5 baht. Call someone who cares.

Do let us know when the happy day will be, you may get a Thai passport but you will never be accepted as Thai.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Choosing the needs of children's education over parents desire to be in Thailand is almost always the right decision.

Even the very best international schools in Thailand barely hold up against the better state schools in the UK, not simply on the grounds of educational standards, but also on a range of social and personal development issues too.

Most of the multi millionairs i know ,who are self made , left school at 14 or a little bit more .There are numerous examples of such people .

My Thai wife is always on about putting our daughter in the very best school which we can not afford .I dont worry about my daughter because i know she is very intelligent and will make her own way if she has the basics of reading and writing in Thai and English .It helps that she is a beauty already at 11 years old .

Edited by anto

funny, we've 'gone that far'. Final interviews and all. Just waiting for a minister to be appointed.

Do let us know when the happy day will be, you may get a Thai passport but you will never be accepted as Thai.

Jacky he is Thai. Born and bred.

um, I've already got one, admittedly born with one. 185cm, been confused for spanish, till I open my mouth. Someone has even said I look a bit like George Clooney.

I'll be the judge as to how well I'm accepted. And I'm accepted quite nicely thank you.

I was talking about applying for my wife.

My experience though is that it isn't what passport you hold, it is how much of an idiot people perceive you as which is the real guage of acceptance.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Jacky he is Thai. Born and bred.

nope, born and grew up in OZ. Which makes his argument even more flimsy.

• Like 1

That's not the reason people want one.

Not accepted by bigots.

Why would you be embarrassed to apply? Because you would have no chance?

Choosing the needs of children's education over parents desire to be in Thailand is almost always the right decision.

Even the very best international schools in Thailand barely hold up against the better state schools in the UK, not simply on the grounds of educational standards, but also on a range of social and personal development issues too.

Most of the multi millionairs i know ,who are self made , left school at 14 or a little bit more .There are numerous examples of such people .

My Thai wife is always on about putting our daughter in the very best school which we can not afford .I dont worry about my daughter because i know she is very intelligent and will make her own way if she has the basics of reading and writing in Thai and English .It helps that she is a beauty already at 11 years old .

I wish her the best of luck in life.

But I'd advise listening to your wife on this one.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are you for real?

If you wanna rely on her looks, why not just wait till she's 18, buy her a micro-skirt, some stilettos and rent her a 2 square meter area around a Sukhumvit Road lamp post?

Stop being an idiot and get your child educated to the best of your ability.

Lots of intelligent people without a penny to their name pal. Don't assume anything.

Edited by Cypress Hill
  • Like 2

I was talking about applying for my wife.

You are cheating a little bit there Sam,

Foreigner woman married to Thai man, citizenship easy, she doesn't need job or income.

Foreigner man married to Thai woman, completely different game.

Indeed, however you can hardly argue that 40k is a huge hurdle. My wife makes that working part time, in Thailand. As for me, well I wouldn't be here if I was only earning that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are you for real?

If you wanna rely on her looks, why not just wait till she's 18, buy her a micro-skirt, some stilettos and rent her a 2 square meter area around a Sukhumvit Road lamp post?

Lots of intelligent people without a penny to their name pal. Don't assume anything.

She wants to be an Airline Stewardess ,so her looks should help ,along with the English she has learned mostly from me .She goes to Dara Accademy in Chiang mai ,which i think is perfectly good enough .Look it up if you dont know the school ,before mouting off .

Are you for real?

She wants to be an Airline Stewardess ,so her looks should help ,along with the English she has learned mostly from me .She goes to Dara Accademy in Chiang mai ,which i think is perfectly good enough .Look it up if you dont know the school ,before mouting off .

Air hostess. I guess that is one interpretation of 'aiming high'.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

>>Air hostess. I guess that is one interpretation of 'aiming high'.<<

Your mocking being an Air hostess ?(there are some right creeps on this Forum)

Edited by anto
  • Like 2

In answer to post # 132,

"Dara Academy" LOL.

Her English and looks are of no use, guess you havent yet sussed out how things work in the land of the Thai.

How about in Europe or Australia then ,where she wants to go ,when she is of age ,

and i can get her a visa ?

I have heard of no changes to the visa extension based on marriage so your post is just the usual Thai bash.

i dont know how long youve been here but over the last few years there has been many changes to marriage, dependant , and retirement visa extensions its the salami effect gradually slicing it bit by bit slowly to make it more difficult each time

That's OK for now, but the way the UK is going, and by the time the children are adults, the country will be well on the way to being under the control of people of a certain faith.

If Thailand can just sort a few things out with the help of the general, the country can get better. At least the Thais look after their own first, something the UK have never done.

It's just a pity that the education is so poor here. I think that is about the only thing the UK have ahead of Thailand. also, the corruption is even worse from the UK government than it was in Thailand.

No mention made of the right to own your own property in your own name.

No mention made of the welfare state or National Health Service.

No mention made of not losing pension increases caused by not living in the UK.

Many on here like to knock the UK (I have knocked it myself at times), but the bottom line, its always available as a last resort when back up plans A, B and C have gone tits up.

You make good points, no country is perfect, If something happened that would force me to leave Thailand, there is no way I would ever go back to stay in the UK, I went back for three months during the floods, and the place was crowded out by emigrants, they have taken the place over, and the streets are not safe. Maybe I would move to Cambodia, and could always go the Thailand from time to time to see my wife.

But I don't think that will ever happen, but that would probably be my plan B.

Do you realise the utter hypocrisy of what you are saying? Probably not, that's the sad thing.

"I'll never go back to the UK because of all the immigrants (or "emigrants"), but I'll live here. Or Cambodia." Pretty sad, honestly very sad.

• Like 1

Back to the original topic. 11 years ago we faced a similar dilemma with my stepdaughter. We looked at what was on offer in LOS, could afford the better schools but deep down I had a nagging feeling that it wouldn't be the best route. We returned to London, she enrolled at a primary school with some 30 different nationalities where they were absolutely brilliant at teaching kids English. Onto a good state secondary school, after a gap year she starts at UCL this Sept having received an offer from Cambridge which she declined as she prefers UCL for her subject and also prefers to live in London. It was the right move for us, the years have passed and it won't be long before we think about returning to LOS on a more permanent basis. However, each case is different, the family dynamic also has to be taken into consideration.

• Like 1

Welcome back OP to four seasons, the rule of law , democratic rights , freedom of speech , tolerance of different nationalities and cultures , National Health Service, advanced culture on all fronts and a comprehensive welfare state from cradle to grave. My wife has been here for 11 years now and couldn't be happier - her eyes have been opened to the world and she couldn't go back now to the narrow grind that living in Thailand means. Plus the heat , damned heat means we only consider going November to February.

None of the many Thais we know here wants to go back except for holidays and family visits.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

>>Air hostess. I guess that is one interpretation of 'aiming high'.<<

Your mocking being an Air hostess ?(there are some right creeps on this Forum)

Good luck to your daughter.

And yes -- the creeps on this forum are sickening.

This is complete rubbish.

People who resort to buzzwords and pseudo-intellectual twaddle such as "social and personal development issues" seldom know what they're talking about.

Not too sure where to start here as maybe digressed a bit from the OP.

Seems to be a lot of opinions "one or the other". Both UK and Thailand have their faults, in my opinion it is best to make sure your children slot into both. To be brief (bit rushed), my daughter just gone into job market and could work in both. Thailand a bit of no brainer with a good education but UK not that rosy. One of the bigger problems (UK) is that companies want to hire graduates as interns and pay them peanuts. So you take off tax, rent etc etc and left with zilch.

The best deal was in Singapore with an actual job (not intern), first year tax free, good salary and good experience.

You've got the advantages of "2 worlds" so make sure your kids have the same.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend a lot on international schools. My kids did partly Thai private, extra homeschooling, UK uni. You name it, they did it !

• Like 2

Why not encourage her to aim higher, for Flight-Crew instead, plenty of female pilots 'up-front' these days ! smile.png