Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates unaware of visa crackdown

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And once again..

What defines a tourist ??

What is the difference between a temporary resident and a tourist ??

How many is too many.. Too long.. Too much..

All vague unclear and undefined.. Once again Thailand simply cannot write clear and firm rules or guidelines.

"Once again Thailand simply cannot write clear and firm rules or guidelines."

The fact that so many people want to know exact numbers implies that many people are trying to figure out, once again, how to game the system. And no matter how explicit and exact they are, so many will start wanting them to bend the rules for their "special case."

It's like a bunch of little kids whining because the teacher is unfair ... which only means they didn't get what they wanted.

What utter nonsense.. It's not about gaming the system, it's about having a system.. One that people can clearly understand and adhere to without falling foul of someone's interpretation, or having multiple different rules depending on boarder, mood, time of day.. It also limits the ability to request payment for a more lenient interpretation.

• Like 1

Re: Issuance of Thai Visas: When someone applies for a Tourist Visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate, the official there has no info as how you plan to utilize a 1, 2, or 3 entry visa regarding length of stay in Thailand and travel to other countries. When presented with a thick passport with up to 100 entries and departures to/from Thailand and other countries, they maybe don't have the time or maybe even the inclination to divine your future plans and how any given Thai IMM entry officer might interpret those intentions.

So they issue the visa as requested and say "Happy Trails!" and the rest is up to you.

If they issue a triple entry 3 times 60 days visa.. With a validity window of 6 months.. How is that not designed to be used back to back ??

And once again..

What defines a tourist ??

What is the difference between a temporary resident and a tourist ??

How many is too many.. Too long.. Too much..

All vague unclear and undefined.. Once again Thailand simply cannot write clear and firm rules or guidelines.

You think you could do better. You only have yourself to look out for. Then criticize not give thanks or praise. The Kingdom is to be praised just for the number of ungrateful malcontents they host. You define cry baby and ingrate. Enjoy your self pity party. Try to enjoy something. Push, pull or get out of the way.

1 I have a long stay visa extension now for iirc 5 years.. After being on non imm issued outside for 4 or 5 before that, I haven't had a tourist visa since more than a decade.. There's nothing here for me to cry about only the stupidity of the system they are implementing.

2 yes I could very easily define those terms, it's quite simple to do.. It would in fact require effort to create a more vague undefined one open to abuse and interpretation.

Re: Issuance of Thai Visas: When someone applies for a Tourist Visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate, the official there has no info as how you plan to utilize a 1, 2, or 3 entry visa regarding length of stay in Thailand and travel to other countries. When presented with a thick passport with up to 100 entries and departures to/from Thailand and other countries, they maybe don't have the time or maybe even the inclination to divine your future plans and how any given Thai IMM entry officer might interpret those intentions.

So they issue the visa as requested and say "Happy Trails!" and the rest is up to you.

If they issue a triple entry 3 times 60 days visa.. With a validity window of 6 months.. How is that not designed to be used back to back ??

With a 3 entry tourist visa, you might enter Thailand 3 times within the 6 month validity and only stay in Thailand each entry for 10 days before flying to Nepal, or Singapore, or Vanuatu and have long stretches ex-Thailand between the latter 2 entries.

Its just up to the officer..case by case...hi right hand, I'm left hand. Need something more systematic and methodical than this farce.

It is like this in EVERY country around the world.

Didn't you read the article ?

This isn't true.. No where else in the world is someone with a pre approved visa issued to them from a legitimate application at an embassy, left to such vague interpretation on arrival.

Yes all countries border agents have the right of refusal, yet you need to somehow be in clear violation to have cause for denial, not the mere whim of the man with the stamp.

Even with the best intentions, just because a national newspaper and our favourite forum says there is a crackdown on tourist visas does not necessarily mean there is a crackdown on tourist visas.

Visit your local immigration officer and ask their advice, I did, there is no change. The crackdown is on other things, and otherwise just a mass fingers pointing and panic just like the Cambodians last month, who were quickly urged to return.

And here we have the lack of consistency.. As immigration in Phuket are telling people that there is a change and not to risk a visa run a tourist visa app as they may be denied entry (but still not sure they will be denied entry).

'... immigration officials saying that you are a tourist for 30 days, not more.' So Thais can visit, for example, the UK as a tourist, staying for several weeks on the standard visa, yet Thailand, more reliant on tourism than the UK, now considers more than 30 days to be non-tourist. It might be prudent for the Thai foreign ministry to make that clear to the embassies of all Thailand's main tourist producing countries.

From what I read the UK is the most difficult country for a Thai to even get a visa if not travelling with a package tour group.

I think that's a bit of a myth.. I have taken 3 different women to the uk, Ireland, and schengen multiple times.. I have never had any real hassle beyond the visiting Bangkok to apply process.

Understand they need to see the person isn't going to be a burden on the system, they are not trying to get a 6 month visa with 100k in a Thai bank.. I always asked for short term specific dates, showed a bank account with plenty of zeros, and no visa ever denied.

I think the current regime decided to tighten the visa exempt and multiple tourist situation cold-turkey and not bother with a grace period, or just one more time, etc. and that things will sort themselves out over the next month or so. I also believe given the available stats that this really affects only a small percentage of the overall tourism visits to Thailand and mostly affects those who have been maxing their stays under previous lax interpretation.

With a 3 entry tourist visa, you might enter Thailand 3 times within the 6 month validity and only stay in Thailand each entry for 10 days before flying to Nepal, or Singapore, or Vanuatu and have long stretches ex-Thailand between the latter 2 entries.

They are taking payment for 3 times 60 day entries.. If they don't wish to allow 3 times 60 day entries they shouldn't issue it..

That is precisely the point being discussed.

What I described post #95 is what a tourist itinerary might be i.e. not max out 3 - 60 day stays.. Using a 6 month 3 entry tourist visa as 3 - (60 day +30 day extension) back-to-back entries is what a long-term stayer might do. And the Thai Embassy/Consulate issuing the visa has no idea which is which.

The former seems to have no problem as of today while for the latter things might not go so easy.

Edited by JLCrab

Its just up to the officer..case by case...hi right hand, I'm left hand. Need something more systematic and methodical than this farce.

This isn't true.. No where else in the world is someone with a pre approved visa issued to them from a legitimate application at an embassy, left to such vague interpretation on arrival.

Yes all countries border agents have the right of refusal, yet you need to somehow be in clear violation to have cause for denial, not the mere whim of the man with the stamp.

Pure B S.

Prove it.

My ears are open kap wai.gif

Pure B S.

Prove it.

And, I'm not 'having a go at you'.

Show me documentation otherwise and I believe what you say.

Hope you're having a nice day thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Pure B S.

Prove it.

And, I'm not 'having a go at you'.

Show me documentation otherwise and I believe what you say.

Hope you're having a nice day thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Your asking me to provide documentation on "no other country in the world" that does this ?? Have you looked at that statement and considered it ?

Better to ask.. Where else in the world, can someone apply legitimately for a visa, and without breaking any conditions of that visa, or any other rules of the country concerned, face such a uncertain admittance ?? I do not know of any.

A freshly issued triple entry 60 day visa with a 6 month validity issued by a Thai embassy. It's purpose would clearly be to stay in Thailand for the entire period, yet can they do so.

EDIT::: thaivisa quote blocks don't seem to want to play nice when using a tablet.. Can't fix them.

Edited by LivinLOS

EDIT::: thaivisa quote blocks don't seem to want to play nice when using a tablet.. Can't fix them.

Switch editor to text mode. Fix quoting and reduce citations as desired.

• Like 1

“A visa is not a guarantee that you can enter the country, that decision is made by the immigration officer at border check-point. It’s the same with every country around the world.

This is crap.

If you have a visa issued from empbassy or consulate and they do not let you in the coutry because you have to many stamps is BS. Of course every imigration officer at the aIrport can deny entry but there have to be a big reason. Contraband or something else REALLY serious. Not becaus "i suspect you are not a tourist".

The person at the embassy issuing a visa surly have more competence than the borderguard to conclude that you are not a "tourist" and NOT giving you a visa OR giving you a huge waning THAT YOU MAY NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THE COUTRY.

I live in Europe and have not once heard that someone with proper visa not being allowed into the country.

Anyone who have visited Thailand two or three times during two years better go spend your money someplace else. Imagine after 14 hours flight getting turnd back by a borderguard. No thank you.

perhaps wilcopops you would like to elaborate why g/f's are not entitled to a visa,, get a life

Usually because they cannot demonstrate assets commensurate with the duration of stay in a western country, that show they will not potentially become a burden in the state.

Also many are unable to demonstrate a strong tie to their home country, significant enough that they are highly unlikely to wish to overstay or work illegally in the destination country.

Firmly cover those 2 aspects, and visa applications seem to go smooth as silk. Of course, if you have barely a pot to piss in, and she has nothing much going for her here.. Then yes, I suspect they are going to look it over firmly.

Edited by LivinLOS

“A visa is not a guarantee that you can enter the country, that decision is made by the immigration officer at border check-point. It’s the same with every country around the world.

This is crap.

If you have a visa issued from empbassy or consulate and they do not let you in the coutry because you have to many stamps is BS. Of course every imigration officer at the aIrport can deny entry but there have to be a big reason. Contraband or something else REALLY serious. Not becaus "i suspect you are not a tourist".

The person at the embassy issuing a visa surly have more competence than the borderguard to conclude that you are not a "tourist" and NOT giving you a visa OR giving you a huge waning THAT YOU MAY NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THE COUTRY.

I live in Europe and have not once heard that someone with proper visa not being allowed into the country.

Anyone who have visited Thailand two or three times during two years better go spend your money someplace else. Imagine after 14 hours flight getting turnd back by a borderguard. No thank you.

European embassies and consulates screen the applicants well, especially for Schengen nations. Immigration officers know that and generally just wave them thru. But I do know of interviews where the person showed up with the wrong type of visa by revealing they intended to visit a language school. They needed a specific education type visa for that, entering on tourist visa is improper, entry denied.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i went to malaysia (penang) for my new non b visa as they are very good and helpful ther, i got it no problem even though i had to steam off a cambodia visa sticker as i only had 2 pages left in my passport, due to my new one not arriving yet after 10 weekswhen we reached the thai border near to Hat Yai (sorry forgot the name of the town) there were 2 ditch men infront of me,both were refused entry into Thailand and were told to go back to Malaysia not our problem. They had to show that they had 20,000 baht on them or in a bank,both had neither. Solution easy i went to ATM just down the road in Thailand I withdrew 20,000 baht give it to one man in the car park at the rear of the immigration offices,he went round,showed them the money was stamped in,then money passed to second man same procedure, Then he came back to mini van I got my 20,000 baht back + 2,000baht for my services They were happy,The little Hitler in the immigration box was happy RESULT

Solution easy i went to ATM just down the road in Thailand I withdrew 20,000 baht give it to one man in the car park at the rear of the immigration offices,he went round,showed them the money was stamped in,then money passed to second man same procedure, Then he came back to mini van I got my 20,000 baht back + 2,000baht for my services

Immigration was noting banknotes numbers when they began that few days ago. Evidently they got tired soon.

I wouldn't have accepted anything but a beer for helping, but hey that's just me.