Dramatic Pattani attack leaves 5 police injured, two badly

Lite Beer

Dramatic Pattani attack leaves 5 police injured, two badly
The Nation

30238913-01_big.jpg

A police substation in Pattani

PATTANI: -- A police substation in Pattani's Thung Yang Daeng district came under suspected insurgent attack on Thursday night, leaving two officers with serious gunshot wounds and three others with burns after the attackers set fire to the facility before fleeing.

The provincial police chief, Pol Maj-General Pho Suaysuwan, yesterday praised all seven officers stationed there for their heroic act in defending the facility and driving away the attackers after an extended fight. A trail of blood, likely from wounded attackers, was also discovered at the scene. The attack was apparently planned as the 40 or so attackers split into three teams for a three-pronged assault.

When soldiers from an Army outpost tried to make their way to the substation to help out, a roadside bomb hampered their move. No soldiers sustained any injuries. The attackers also blocked access to the police substation with several felled trees and spikes.

The facility is dubbed the "citizen-servicing station" under the Thung Yang Daeng police station.

Investigators concluded that the three attackers' teams had launched an offensive from three positions, with two of them stationed on upper floors of a building nearby to observe the area and set up vantage points. Before launching the attack, a flare was shot into the air to light up the target, before two rounds of M79 grenades were launched at it, followed by firebomb grenades and automatic gunfire from three directions.

Police are compiling surveillance camera footage to get more information about the attacks and to identify the attackers, who they believe are either local operatives or those from nearby areas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Dramatic-Pattani-attack-leaves-5-police-injured-tw-30238913.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-19

" A police substation in Pattani's Thung Yang Daeng district came under suspected insurgent attack " Really!

I was thinking it was the local street vendors who had been asked earlier in the day to move their food carts off the footpath. Those woman can get mean and nasty!

Army could not get through due to road blocks. So they don't yet have helicopters in the Pattani area.

In other countries the police even use them to pursue running criminals.

In Thailand it is easier and apparently better to use cameras

Edited by oldsailor35

If the anti insurgent forces were doing their job properly these terrorists would not have been able to carry out the attack. It is pathetic to see all these Generals strutting around with chest loads of medals, and at the same time terrorists can carry out such raids with such impunity. This is outrageous.

• Like 1

I'd install balloons, heavily guarded and with high resolution cameras to cover the region. Mission not impossible. The balloons could be attached on trucks to be mobile and others in fixed locations.

I'd install balloons, heavily guarded and with high resolution cameras to cover the region. Mission not impossible. The balloons could be attached on trucks to be mobile and others in fixed locations.

Well they are good at hot air!

Like this one?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/thai-spy-blimp-crashes/

Problem is how would they identify "militants", who seem to just blend in the local populace. It doesn't seem to be as heavily militarized a warzone as Afghanistan where it is likewise difficult to ascertain who is a militant and who is an innocent bystander (even drone attacks in the known terror training camps along the Pak/Afgh border hit civilians). So the blimp may be good for the top brass and their kickbacks but not too useful for the Thai police/soldiers on the ground - only exception I can think of with my limited knowledge of the war might be along the mountainous border between Yala and Malay to see who's going back and forth there.

The Thai south is a "conflict"{ zone and should be off limits to air traffic as well.

Those fighters/terrorists have not been seen driving trucks with Buk type AA rockets to date, to pick flights at cruising altitudes.

Until they move around with truck driven rocket launchers, Stalin organs, the Buk will be of no concern.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app