If not retired - How have you funded living in Thailand?

Wj99

I can see why expats move to Thailand - low cost of living will see money stretch further; and why not in such a beautiful country.

However, those who have come to work, how has it worked out for you? I'm relatively young, and will be earning a respectable wage in 5 years time with my qualifications (for me it's RICS) but I was just wondering for my own benefit what sort of salary I could command in such a relatively poor country.

So for those who have made the jump from a more developed/affluent country I'm just asking really;

A) what you did

B) do you live comfortably

C) would you do it again

Thanks all!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can get a gig in the home country and get assigned to Thailand, that would be the best possible scenario. However, getting harder and harer to do. Most places are just hiring locals because (1) it's cheaper (2) lot of locals well qualified (educated in West)

Trying to earn money while living in Thailand...that's hard part. I think most are retired, have funds from the West. Then you have the other expats who work in boiler rooms, "investment schemes", and other dubious stuff...

I funded my early retirement by working all the hours God sends in businesses that I sweated blood over for 20 years (in the west of course). Never had time off, and gambled more than the farm on many occasions. Retired at 50 with cashflow and cash to last me several lifetimes. In hindsight i should have retired 5 years earlier.

Not trying to sound big headed, but I saw working for a "salary" or an eventual "pension" as a dead end in my late 20's when I got made redundant from a high paying job in banking - employers have very little social coscience when their bottom line is at stake. As to savings/pensions/managed fund schemes - run a mile if anybody ever tries to talk you into one. Cash that returns you a fraction more than inflation or even twice the rate of inflation is dead money, you may as well bury it in a cake tin in the garden.

Put your balls on the line in your own venture if you want to retire with more than just a pension and a few pennies in the bank. Work towards everlasting cashflow that more than exceeds your future needs, and don't consume your asset unless you can stand the reduced cashflow.

Footnote: Expect to go bust a few times, and relish the thought of bruised balls every morning as an incentive to get yourself back on top.

I work for a Thai company, and not with an expat package. I do OK with it. I also publish books and am doing more than OK with them. Between the two and along with some rental property back in the US, I am doing fine, and my retirement kicks in in 3.5 years.

I work for an MNC, and was hired on in Thailand, I wasn't transferred in, in fact I came here to work for one company and was "head hunted" by the MNC about 2.5 years after arriving

Although not on a "full" expat package, I do OK out of it, got no complaints on that front

OP, I'll tell you a story about a man I met when I was living in hospital accommodation some years ago.

He was a Filipino, about 35, and was living with another nurse.

That man, had spread around that his father was a 3 star general in the US army, his mother died and he was waiting for an inheritance of 300million Baht to come to him.

He had the life of Ryan, as they say in Ireland, holidays paid for him, pocket money every day, a free account at the local restaurant for his beers and food.

That lasted for about a year, still waiting for the inheritance and the nurse making dreams about the super house they would buy.

And she kept spending money for him...........

One day, another woman appeared in the hospital, from Udon Thani, looking for him.

Thai soaps are not enough to describe you what happened there.

They had to call the police to separate the 3 of them.

What we learned later, is that this is what he was doing in Thailand for the past 10 years.

Going around places finding naïve women and living from them as long as he could.

I was just trying to answer your question as to how some people fund their living in LOS.

PS. Police was not interested to prosecute him......he left to find another victim.

Have been here ten years, have worked for present Thai company for past 5 years. The package I get is decent enough to maintain a comfortable lifestyle and they have looked after me well. Can't complain.

OP, I'll tell you a story about a man I met when I was living in hospital accommodation some years ago.

He was a Filipino, about 35, and was living with another nurse.

That man, had spread around that his father was a 3 star general in the US army, his mother died and he was waiting for an inheritance of 300million Baht to come to him.

He had the life of Ryan, as they say in Ireland, holidays paid for him, pocket money every day, a free account at the local restaurant for his beers and food.

That lasted for about a year, still waiting for the inheritance and the nurse making dreams about the super house they would buy.

And she kept spending money for him...........

One day, another woman appeared in the hospital, from Udon Thani, looking for him.

Thai soaps are not enough to describe you what happened there.

They had to call the police to separate the 3 of them.

What we learned later, is that this is what he was doing in Thailand for the past 10 years.

Going around places finding naïve women and living from them as long as he could.

I was just trying to answer your question as to how some people fund their living in LOS.

PS. Police was not interested to prosecute him......he left to find another victim.

a bit like the UK then

I'd reckon in today's economy if you wanted to be assured of a 'reasonably comfortable' life style here in Thailand, given an average inflation of 4%, retiring at any age you would want 2-3mill behind you untouched. Others may disagree, but I reckon it's about spot on. Then you can give up work, maintain a living in a western country barely, and yet have a very nice life here on the interest. Lots of people on here do just that.. after having worked their butt off, see post #4

Oz

Just going off topic for a second..

I took early retirement at 50.... Moved to Thailand and have the BEST quality of life..... No complaints, I don't watch my pennies as I am financially ok....

If I did return to my Homeland or any other country I would be struggling to have a decent life.

Here suits me, in lots of ways....

So glad I did it...

Life is too short enjoy it...

Cheers

I suppose if there was any golden goose everyone would be living here.

Maybe I can start looking at developing property here in a decade or so but parts of Thailand look at saturation point already

Saturation point...is definitely beginning to be reached. Even 10 years ago property was relatively dirt cheap. I don't know everyone's position obviously, but someone coming on board now or in the future may have a tougher going than those who came years before.

Just going off topic for a second..

I took early retirement at 50.... Moved to Thailand and have the BEST quality of life..... No complaints, I don't watch my pennies as I am financially ok....

I too took early retirement, I too am financially sound (I hope), but I do watch my pennies cos I'm a tight $#@%!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Saturation point...is definitely beginning to be reached. Even 10 years ago property was relatively dirt cheap. I don't know everyone's position obviously, but someone coming on board now or in the future may have a tougher going than those who came years before.

If you believe the doomsayers here, the market is about to be flooded with condos at prices that will be more 1997 than 2017 ;)

If you believe the doomsayers here, the market is about to be flooded with condos at prices that will be more 1997 than 2017 ;)

More in hope than reality

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I funded my early retirement by working all the hours God sends in businesses that I sweated blood over for 20 years (in the west of course). Never had time off, and gambled more than the farm on many occasions. Retired at 50 with cashflow and cash to last me several lifetimes. In hindsight i should have retired 5 years earlier.

Ha ha. I know that feeling. 40 instead of 50 would have done me, I now realise. Never mind.

Even having been retired for 8 years I still cant say "no" when some old client (or new word of mouth client) asks me to do some small/medium job for them. Once you are in the habit of always working 24/7 it sticks with you.

Actually I did find it quite easy to refuse a couple of cheap-a*se farangs running "businesses" here, and I dont regret that for a minute. Losers to a man.

I sell my body to hi so Thai Chinese women , thumbsup.gif

Hope they are university educated and white face.else no good

Of course , the only trouble is ,so far i am living in a cardboard box and starving ,it really hasnt gone to plansad.png

I moved to Thailand at 43 years old after selling my mobile phone software business in the UK. Used some of the money to build my first small hotel in Phuket, and then used funds from that business to build 3 more little hotels.

My financial needs nowadays are not great, (cold beers, nice Thai food, occasional slapper), and are easily funded by my business in Thailand. From time to time I work in neighbouring countries as a school Headmaster/Principal or teacher. The salary is quite good, but I don't really do it for the money - rather as a way of 'giving back' for my luck in life. I have also worked for quite a few years as a TPV at Phuket Airport.

I work here for a MNC but not on a full ex-pats package as there is no fixed contract period. From what I observe talking to other people working here I think the days of the" full " package are over for all but a few, unless short contracts, but you can still earn a decent salary comparable to back home.

then you have the oil and gas workers doing even rotations,

living half the year in thailand

Just kaeks or holiday makers by any other name.

He is talking about people who live here, not 2 week millionaires.

To answer the question, UK properties.

I just retired this month and am heading back to Thailand... I worked for a MNC that rotated me throughout SEA for years, thus my desire to get back... I did it the old fashioned way, pension and investments... Could live anywhere I wanted within reason and have chosen Thailand to start the next chapter of my life...

I just retired this month and am heading back to Thailand... I worked for a MNC that rotated me throughout SEA for years, thus my desire to get back... I did it the old fashioned way, pension and investments... Could live anywhere I wanted within reason and have chosen Thailand to start the next chapter of my life...

Enjoy your well earned retirement.

Got 14 years to go for me :-(