The James Bond discussion thread

submaniac

1. The best actor in the role of James Bond who is not Sean Connery (because everybody would say Sean Connery if given the chance) is:

Honorable mention:

Daniel Craig, really really good in the role. The last one was the highest grossing of all the Bond films, so must be doing something right. Quantum of Solace I will overlook how bad it was because of how good Skyfall was.

Sir Roger Moore. Ian Flemming's original choice over Connery for the role. What can be said? Had that '70's charm.

Winner: George Lazenby. Yeah that's right. He got alot of crap because he followed Connery and was Australian. However, rewatching On Her Majesty's Secret Service, realized he really was good in the role.

2. The worst actor in the role of James Bond:

honorable mention:

Pierce Brosnan. Maybe not his fault. The writing and the premises of his JB movies were just bad. If he had come along at a different time, it would have probably been better.

Winner: Timothy Dalton. Not a redeeming thing in any one of his lousy JB films. Made a good Rassilon in Doctor Who, but that's his only saving grace.

3. The best Bond girl:

honorable mention:

Ursula Andress/Honey Ryder: her scene coming out of the ocean is unforgettable. Truly iconic.

Honor Blackman/Pussy Galore: any Bond girl named Honey Ryder is automatically cool.

Winner: Dame DIana Rigg/Contessa Teresa di Vicenzo. Won by extra bonus points for playing Emma Peel in the Avengers. Plus she's on Game of Thrones. Sorry to say, no longer hot.

4. The best James Bond Villain

Honorable mention: Richard Kiel/"Jaws". Fairly beloved character. And he actually sat down at the table next to me in a restaurant in Fresno, CA. He was having lunch with his son. It's weird to be eating lunch and Jaws sits next to you.True story.

Telly Savalas/Ernst Stavro Bloefeld, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Yeah, I really liked OHMSS. An underestimated Bond film. And Telly Savalas was good in it. Bonus points because he was Kojack.

Winner: Donald Pleasance/Ernst Stavro Bloefeld, You Only Live Twice: what is there to say? Quintessential James Bond villain.

5. Best James Bond Gadget:

Honorable mention:Rolex Submariner watch with rotating bezel that cut the ropes when Roger Moore and Jane Seymour tied up over pit of piranhas/alligators/sharks or something (I forgot what it was), but always wanted the watch after that.

Winner: Lotus Esprit that turned into submarine, from the Spy Who Loved Me. Just awesome.

6. Best James Bond Film of All time:

Honorable mention: On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Yeah, I liked the film alot. And it has Diana Rigg.

Winner: From Russia With Love. Probably Sean Connery's best JB film.

7. Worst James Bond Film of all time:

Honorable mention: Die Another Day. A waste of Halle Berry, dragged Pierce Brosnan down. Stupid, stupid plot. North Korean Guy who gets genetically altered. Another North Korean guy with diamonds in face (like he couldn't just get that removed?) Invisible car (worst gadget ever because it's just plain stupid) . Seriously, <deleted> was that?

Winner: License To Kill (AKA License to Suck!). Typical '80's film where James Bond is fighting drug king pins????? Did not like fact Felix Leiter had legs eaten by sharks. Timothy Dalton, just really bad. Temperamental uncharismatic James Bond.

There you go. Discuss.

Roger Moore, hands down. Tons of one-liners, exotic locations, excellent music (for those times), a gentleman to boot with a real knack for the ladies.

Excellent villains, my personal favorites being LIVE AND LET DIE, OCTOPUSSY, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, & A VIEW TO A KILL, not necessarily in that order.

The only Connery flick I enjoyed was DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, and yes, my mom is from Scotland but never liked him slapping women around.

As for Tim Dalton, the first ten minutes of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS are excellent. After those ten minutes, I lost a lot of interest in the franchise.

Ok! Enough from me!

• Like 1

Do your Bond homework, mate!

Miss Galore is from GOLDFINGER... tongue.png

More about Pussy Galore, in Goldfinger:

Thanks for setting me straight....

It was not very hard to get the drop on Pussy's background...

the following was extracted from the site.... http://www.007james.com/characters/pussy_galore.php

"Pussy is not only Goldfinger's personal pilot, but also the leader of the group Pussy Galore's Flying Circus, who work as part of Goldfinger's Operation Grandslam"

Now I understand how all this fits in....as far as Pussy is concerned. (Galore)

The only actor who came anywhere close to Sean Connery in portraying Bond would be Daniel Craig. The rest were a bunch of assclowns, with the most pathetic being brosnan. He lacked any semblance of masculinity or style.

Hmmm, Goldeneye was probably my favorite

Since then its gotten worse, when i think of James Bond i think of ridiculous but entertaining stunts like riding a bike over a cliff chasing a plane, not generic action, which Skyfall was. Infact I wouldnt call Skyfall a spy movie at all

Timothy Dalton and Living Daylights was pretty good imo, All of Roger Moore i immensely enjoyed except maybe the last one, Sean Connery was great of course, Lazenby was good too

Lucky for Brosnan he had Golden Eye, Dalton's contract was for 3 Bond films, but they kept dicking around with Goldeneye so he gave it away to Brosnan

Personally not a fan of either Daniel Craig as Bond or his Bond films but i suppose they had to move on