Reliable laptop repairs.. Do they exist?

marrmrrs

Can anyone suggest a laptop repair service that know there business...... Have had this laptop in now at 3 different shops.... I know I cannot name them but they all come from Tuk Com and the 3 were beyond useless!!... Have 3 jobs carried out and charged 3 times and still the same problem.... Had a massive argument will the last rip off merchant, so called the police and surprisingly I got my money back!!!.... So can anyone suggest a reputable shop who guarantee there work.... Or is there an Acer main dealer in Pattaya.... Thanks in advance....

• Like 1

HI... Not an old laptop, way under used..... Felt it may be overheating, handed it in and fan replaced (way over charged I found out)... Got it home, worked for a few days and then "black screen".. I drained the battery etc but made no difference... Expert number 2 said he could fix it and replaced the chip?.. It worked for a couple of days and the "black screen" again... Went back and he all but told me to "F Off" Got the police involved and got my money back... Expert number 3 took it away and then called to say expert number 2 HAD NOT replaced any chip but he would do it.?.. Got it back paid the bill and it worked for a week or so and again "black screen" (I think it is still overheating?)... Took it back and he had gone and shut up shop.....

Apologies for this long rambling message but that is where I am up to... Any opinion would be appreciated.... Many thanks..

I agree with JohnC, Wattana are a reputable repairer. I have used them for over 8 years. I have bought most of my computer hardware and software there and have had several computers repaired there as well.

I bought my Lenovo laptop there and last week bought my latest desktop there (a Dell). They are a bit dearer than some of the places in DCom, but at least I know the hardware is genuine.

They are authorised Lenovo repairers and I believe Dell as well. They will repair any manufacturers system though.

They charge 300 Baht to test and assess the problem and won't undertake any work until you OK it. Hardware problems that you describe can be very difficult to track down, but if they change something and the problem returns as you describe, I am sure they would work with you to decide what to do next.

You may have to wait several days before they can work on your PC though, as they are very busy.

When they are repairing your PC, they will allow you to sit with the engineers in the back of the shop to discuss what they are doing.

Mind you I speak Thai, I am not so sure their English is that good.

Edited by dsfbrit
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the advice.... Much appreciated..

Went up to Wattana today (Sunday) but closed. So am going to give it a go tomorrow. Sounds like they have a good reputation. So am happy to pay a bit more and I can wait a few days, considering this has rumbled on for weeks now.

I will give this a go one last time as I am reluctant to bin this as it really has hardly been used....

Again thanks... New to the site but think it is great!!

Regards

David..

Wantana are good.

Stay clear of TukCom Pattaya.. Many bad stories from that place.

Sounds like the graphic card has burnt out.

I had the same with an Acer laptop. I always use fan under laptop, It helps to keep it cool in Thai hot climate.

Also make sure air vents are clean. (Thailand very dusty)

• Like 1

Please bear in mind that remote fault finding without seeing the symptoms in the flesh is very difficult, this could be a backlight or VGA issue. With a backlight issue if you angle the screen to the light you may be able to see a ghostly image when the fault occurs.

The problem with laptop repairs in any country is that if the fault is on the motherboard, which from your description although a bit vague sounds most likely especially after three attempts at repair. You are very unlikely to get a lasting repair from anyone other than the manufactures official service agent.

Even then they will probably only fit a replacement as in most cases repair of motherboards unless it is a common issue is not cost effective, this will probably result in a bill approching the cost of a replacement machine and chances are will only come with a 90 day warranty. Unfortunately chris2004's comment may be correct.

Edited by jayceebee

Again many thanks for the reply's... All very helpful....

Liberty Computers looks like it may be a professional outfit if the website is anything to go by.So hopefully between Wattana and Liberty I will get some honest answers!..... I will be avoiding Tuk Com in the future, that is for sure!..

Again Thanks..

Liberty Computers looks like it may be a professional outfit if the website is anything to go by.So hopefully between Wattana and Liberty I will get some honest answers!..... I will be avoiding Tuk Com in the future, that is for sure!..

Again Thanks..

Never used the shops at Tuk Com myself, but all of my friends that have, have been pleased. Wish I could provide names of which shops were good, but I would not blacklist all repair shops at Tuk Com.

Again Thanks..

Never used the shops at Tuk Com myself, but all of my friends that have, have been pleased. Wish I could provide names of which shops were good, but I would not blacklist all repair shops at Tuk Com.

I would normally agree with you but when the 3 I used all criticised each others work and one out and out lied about the work he carried out and was caught red handed charging me for a part that was never fitted and the police had to called for me to recover my money.... Maybe I was unbelievably unlucky to have picked the worst and most dishonest 3 in the place?... I kind of doubt it!!..Does not make me want to rush back!

• Like 1