Sinsot refund...Its time all farang say no to this outdated peasant dowry system

jack71

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how northern john calls all of us who didn't pay sin sot, Thai bashers!

Congrats northern john, I'm adding YOUR troll post to my book of worlds best forum troll posts.

• Like 1

Hey Jack

Don't think about it too much.....

the only thing missing from your story is what your wife's parent had given you in exchange for the dowry....thai tradition is that the groom also receives an inheritance (typically land or livestock...but could be anything of equal value).

So what did they promise you? Probably nothing....this is how the thai's dupe the foreigners. If you were a thai man....you would surely be mentioning this and negotiating your inheritance as well.

Hope you got your money back.

thai tradition is that the groom also receives an inheritance (typically land or livestock...but could be anything of equal value).

But what is the OP going to do with a herd of water buffaloes living in a "studio" condo in Soi Nana, cant keep them on his balcony can he ?

• Like 2

I don't think it is time for all farang to stop paying sinsot.

I think it is time for all farang to make their own decisions based on their own circumstances and opinion/belief.

Not listen to a bunch of stangers on an internet site.

• Like 2

I am quite amused that the OP thinks his wife and her family are peasants

Wasn't the OP th bloke who was having problems renting a house the other week?

He seems to have lot's of stories, which don't really add up.

I like the one where he is suggesting that he is High Class, but he travels on a bus to Pattaya. laugh.png

to be envious is to be the lesser man

I am quite amused that the OP thinks his wife and her family are peasants

Wasn't the OP th bloke who was having problems renting a house the other week?

He seems to have lot's of stories, which don't really add up.

I like the one where he is suggesting that he is High Class, but he travels on a bus to Pattaya. laugh.png

to be envious is to be the lesser man

I am so envious of the fact that you travel on NCA?

Or that you have a make believe wife?

Where you stay?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

i might be wrong, but recently i read another threads where guy claiming also they were also married to thai doctors?

Is this new a trend?

Whats wrong with marrying a gold digger, junky, farmer,.... why these people choose to get married with educated and clean girl?laugh.png

thai tradition is that the groom also receives an inheritance (typically land or livestock...but could be anything of equal value).

But what is the OP going to do with a herd of water buffaloes living in a "studio" condo in Soi Nana, cant keep them on his balcony can he ?

Even worse if he is a visa runner

"My wife has Dr in front of her first name and wears a cute little hospital coat." ---- This is the first time in my life to come across a doctor not being addressed as a doctor but "....has Dr in front of her name....." I am curious as to what is she???

I gotta wonder what the op would've done if they refused the refund.

According to my gf, if the family is rich, you the money back. If not, then no dice. It's not much different from these lavish weddings I see nowadays. Each trying to outdo the other.

I like most Thai traditions, so I'd have no problem paying up. But both her parents are dead.

Edited by sdanielmcev
  • Like 1

It is my opinion that all farang intending to get married should say no to this outdated peasant dowry system. What do you think about this?

Jack

I think that (1) maybe Thailand is not for you and the others who get their panties tied up in a knot over sinsod and (2) there is somthing missing after Jack.

• Like 1

My understanding for sin sots is they are only paid to the parents if your wife is a virgin. So that rules out just about everybody biggrin.png When the subject was mentioned by my future wife I simply pointed that under Thai culture sin sots are not generally paid if the lady has been married before or has children and as she was divorced that was the last ever mention of it - but as the Thai saying goes 'visiting farangs leave their brains at the airport'.

• Like 1

"My wife has Dr in front of her first name and wears a cute little hospital coat." ---- This is the first time in my life to come across a doctor not being addressed as a doctor but "....has Dr in front of her name....." I am curious as to what is she???

Psychogeriatic physician with an MBA

Most bargirls do the same but without license...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Thorgal

Each to their own.

I married my wife outside of Thailand so that confused them.

I did too with my now ex wife but we had to register our marriage at the Amphur otherwise the marriage would not be recognized here. BTW why should we say no to sinsot? It is part of the culture & as we live here should respect that culture. Several years ago one of the country cousins received 100,000 from her prospective husband plus some gold & these people come from the lower end of the socio economic scale. I imagine it is still widely practiced.

There are a lot of posters who are Thai bashers. No respect for the customs. Want every thing like back home where they come from.

Are you calling me a Thai basher?

You don't even know me or my wife or my family you rude pos.

Let me tell you something, back home where I come from, the brides family pay for the wedding, which they didn't.

Sounds like you got sucked in to paying for a custom, that likely you don't fully understand anyway.

Strange I mentioned no names yet you take it personal. I wonder why?

There is a big difference between understanding and respect. You obviously do not know the difference.whistling.gif

Maybe she's a palaeontologist (the study of old fossils propping up the bar in soi coyboy?)

• Like 2

Seems like everything in Thailand other than the simplest task like ordering a beer is such a pain in the rear-end. So very glad to be divorced..

Seems the best kind of Thai family to marry into is one where every single potential relative is dead.

• Like 1