Sinsot refund...Its time all farang say no to this outdated peasant dowry system

jack71

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are gullible, stupid Thais too that care too much what others think of them.

You did the right thing. Live and let live - one thing I've learned is not to get involved with the 'look at my poong;sanook' guys. They never listen.

They get brainwashed into total delusion that a pick up is a good idea ; for Songkran or in case they flit.

• Like 2

IMO this system is more than simple payment of money. Its about how you handle yourself through the process, how you respect different cultures and also how others respect your culture. Where respect is mutual and relationships are balanced, genuine and healthy, issues such as SinSod are rarely issues at all.

OP: you handled yourself much in the same way I handled myself when negotiating SinSod - I too expected all the money to be returned and it was.

A continuing and mutually respectful relationship with my Inlaws is enjoyed partly as a result of my willingness to be flexible and their willingness to be respectful when I stand firm.

• Like 2

Each to their own.

I married my wife outside of Thailand so that confused them.

When they tell her to divorce you outside Thailand that will confuse you :)

Happily married with a family.

No divorce here.

Does your wifes family tell her what to do or something?

There are gullible, stupid Thais too that care too much what others think of them.

You did the right thing. Live and let live - one thing I've learned is not to get involved with the 'look at my poong;sanook' guys. They never listen.

They get brainwashed into total delusion that a pick up is a good idea ; for Songkran or in case they flit.

Why, pick-up not a good idea......................

It is not Sin Sot that is the problem...it is Sin Ros

Sin Sot provides a way for your in-laws to get their hands on your money.

Sin Ros provides the way for your wife to annex your fortune.

Edited by laolover88

Depending on the family you marry into, it's more of a custom/formality like everything else that occurs on the day. You should get the sitsot money and gold back the same day after the festivities are over - they are there for show not any would be money grabbing inlaws. Show is a big thing so the more you got the better, Much like the costs involved in preparing the event, meals, entertainment, monks are all repaid in full or more when family guests leave their envelopes.

I am quite amused that the OP thinks his wife and her family are peasants

Wasn't the OP th bloke who was having problems renting a house the other week?

He seems to have lot's of stories, which don't really add up.

I like the one where he is suggesting that he is High Class, but he travels on a bus to Pattaya. laugh.png

• Like 1