Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

I think it confirms that immigration is not about scarring tourists away and are making it easier. As they have said all along, they don't want people abusing the system.

If you want to stay long term, you have to get the right visa as anyone else.

If you are a tourist coming here for a holiday, you have nothing to fear.

I still 'fear' these darn 90-day reports. I wish immigration would get rid of them. I lose 2k each time when forgetting dates.

Well if Immigration is following ThaiVisa, I have a message for Immigration: "How about giving longtime married expat residents of Thailand, who have demonstrated good citizenship, a reasonable pathway to permanent residency at a reasonable cost?"

I agree, but go one step further. If you are married for at least 5 years and have resided in Thai permanently with your Thai wife/kids who are clearly your dependants, then permanent residency should surely be automatic. Add to that income wealth and/or any investment made (for example - the family home paid for).

Come on Immigration you know it makes sense!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well if Immigration is following ThaiVisa, I have a message for Immigration: "How about giving longtime married expat residents of Thailand, who have demonstrated good citizenship, a reasonable pathway to permanent residency at a reasonable cost?"

A 100,000 baht non-refundable application fee is not reasonable; it is gambling. Also, selling a five year permit to stay for a 2 million baht fee via the new Elite Card is not reasonable. Other countries have a reasonable road to permanent residency; why not Thailand?

I think you need to look at your figures again before ranting at immigration............................wink.png

Don't just take a typical ThaiVisa style potshot at me. If I have errors, please be so kind as to specifically point them out and offer corrections for the benefit of all.

I try to put on a worthwhile suggestion and all you have done is flame me. Thanks a lot.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A 100,000 baht non-refundable application fee is not reasonable; it is gambling. Also, selling a five year permit to stay for a 2 million baht fee via the new Elite Card is not reasonable. Other countries have a reasonable road to permanent residency; why not Thailand?

I think you need to look at your figures again before ranting at immigration............................wink.png

Don't just take a typical ThaiVisa style potshot at me. If I have errors, please be so kind as to specifically point them out and offer corrections for the benefit of all.

I try to put on a worthwhile suggestion and all you have done is flame me. Thanks a lot.

500,000 for the five year card

I agree, but go one step further. If you are married for at least 5 years and have resided in Thai permanently with your Thai wife/kids who are clearly your dependants, then permanent residency should surely be automatic. Add to that income wealth and/or any investment made (for example - the family home paid for).

Come on Immigration you know it makes sense!

Just to add I would happily pay the 100,000 if the process was straight forward, success based on stipulated criterion as opposed to some kind of ministerial approval and without undue delays. Edited by iancnx

The fee is 7000 Baht,

You pay the 100,000 only after you have been approved!

• Like 1

That depends of the level. The basic "Easy Access" is 500,000, and allows one to go in and out for five years, but not to stay continuously without leaving. But if you want to STAY for five years, you need to upgrade to the "Individual" for an additional 1.5 million (2 million total). And with the higher fee, one only needs a single annual visit t Thai immigration (no 90 day reports). There are also higher, more expensive levels with other "benefits," such as no airport queues. I guess it's all for sale, isn't it?

This came from last Wednesday's Bangkok Post, first section, p. 5. It was an ad for the Elite Card.

Application for permanent residency is around 7,900 baht. Only when it is approved do you pay the 97,500 (family) or 195,000 (other categories) for PR.

(From memory, I might be a few thousend off)

It's not the money, but you need to talk, read, write thai there is the difficult part :)

The fee is 7000 Baht,

You pay the 100,000 only after you have been approved!

Now that's good news! I stand corrected. Thanks!

Maybe I'll try it. I think I can pass the Thai language test. I always thought it was 100 grn up front.

Does anybody know if the applications are being processed under the junta? I remember there was a big idle backlog, then after Yingluck came in, I read on Thai Visa that the backlog was breaking up and many people got it.

Application for permanent residency is around 7,900 baht. Only when it is approved do you pay the 97,500 (family) or 195,000 (other categories) for PR.

It's not the money, but you need to talk, read, write thai there is the difficult part smile.png

Read and write? I knew you had to speak, but read and write, too?

hat depends of the level. The basic "Easy Access" is 500,000, and allows one to go in and out for five years, but not to stay continuously without leaving. But if you want to STAY for five years, you need to upgrade to the "Individual" for an additional 1.5 million (2 million total). And with the higher fee, one only needs a single annual visit t Thai immigration (no 90 day reports). There are also higher, more expensive levels with other "benefits," such as no airport queues. I guess it's all for sale, isn't it?

This came from last Wednesday's Bangkok Post, first section, p. 5. It was an ad for the Elite Card.

their ad says the individual is good for 20 years

they messed up ...and have been told to sort it out , no visa for Chinese, high season on the way I think was the breaking point

all i can see this achieving is massive corruption at immigration offices, they have pushed the so called visa runners into a corner of having to buy a tourist visa (double entry) and then report to immigration for extension so passport can be examined which makes more sense than denying entry.....but will get 90 days at the end of it

for me its a total u-turn that will actually make things worse, I have no faith in Thai immigration as the attitude is very xenophobic having to deposit 20,000gbp for a non imm visa, police checks and 90 day reporting is proof enough...

plus if i just want to get a tourist visa valid for 90 fays in reality i just walk in with none of those requirements ...makes no sense at all ..or do no tourists have criminal records or suffer from alcoholism or leprosy?

Edited by terryp

It's not the money, but you need to talk, read, write thai there is the difficult part smile.png

Read and write? I knew you had to speak, but read and write, too?
Yes you have to go to a test where you need to read simple question like how many district are there in Thailand and so on. Basic knowing on Thailand . Then you need a conversation with some people in the immigration :)

Edit...I'm not sure now, you make me doubt.. I will try to find the information

Edit..

Seems like you are right

Notice that Applicants will receive an appointment card to attend an interview with the immigration officers.The interview incorporates a test of the applicants understanding of the Thai language which includes speaking and listening. Applicants who fail to attend the interview without an appropriate reason will have their applications cancelled automatically.

Hmm now I'm confused. Anybody has a link for the current law for PT

Interview for permanent residence

To obtain Thai permanent residency, you will be interviewed by an officer at the Thai Immigration Office. You will be asked questions about your documents, background and religion. The officer will note your answers which will be printed afterwards so that you can sign them.

You will also have to answer 10 multiple choice questions written in Thai. If you do not read Thai well, it is not a problem because the officer will help you by reading the questions aloud. After the test, you will have to go into a partitioned area and introduce yourself in Thai. This will be recorded on a camera.

Usually you will receive your approval letter one and a half years after your application, depending on the category you were applying for. To obtain your certificate of residence, you will have to visit the Thai Immigration Office within 30 days after you get the approval letter and you will also have to submit the following:

Edited by carstenp

migration............................wink.png

That depends of the level. The basic "Easy Access" is 500,000, and allows one to go in and out for five years, but not to stay continuously without leaving. But if you want to STAY for five years, you need to upgrade to the "Individual" for an additional 1.5 million (2 million total). And with the higher fee, one only needs a single annual visit t Thai immigration (no 90 day reports). There are also higher, more expensive levels with other "benefits," such as no airport queues. I guess it's all for sale, isn't it?

Erm.. yes you can.. they will handle all your extensions for you.. for 5 years..

So both your elite card and PR ideas are flat out wrong..

I think it confirms that immigration is not about scarring tourists away and are making it easier. As they have said all along, they don't want people abusing the system.

If you want to stay long term, you have to get the right visa as anyone else.

If you are a tourist coming here for a holiday, you have nothing to fear.

Of course, what country in the world is going to turn away free money! Now let's hear it from the "Thais hate all foreigners" and want to kick them out or don't want them to come in the first place because they're xenophobic crowd.

It was not so long ago that tourism was THE major income, before car manufacture took over, and it would be wise for the new government to appreciate the presence of us humble lotus eaters and treat us with decency. The only previous government to make us feel welcome was that of Khun Anand Panyarachun, what a wonderful job he did :)

• Like 1

My Suggestion why not make visa online just upload all documents and wire /NEFT(national electronic fund Transfer) the fees to immigration and receive an Email visa.

This is my idea can i share all details with ADMIN may be this decrees the cost of going to immigration all the people now a days handle computer and mails

Awsome idea, in principal, and would ensure consistent policy is applied, it could be extended with random manual checks (such as address vists) to deter any potential abuse, and combined with analytics to capture patterns to do warrant attention. There's a lot of room to introduce consistency and efficiency with IT and I think its false idea that all this manual work is actually yielding any benefits.

However in Thailand they love cutting down trees and wasting everybody's time, it gives someone a job, just look at how much unnecessary paper the banks use to setup an account, to change a telephone number on the account, to report an ATM lost/stolen, immigration and other government departments apply a similar policy - a rainforest a day. A side note, immigration did once try to have a system setup where hotels and guesthouses could register guests online however since it was so poorly built (like the Thai train online booking system which is now withdrawn - one step forward 22 steps back) they went back to paper, no doubt a shady amateur software company pocketed handsomely.

Good news for backpackers, who, despite the regular call for "quality tourists" are an important part of Thailand's tourism industry.

You're quite right, Mitch, and I'd also like to point out that backpackers bring a lot more money to small Thai businesses owned by middle-class Thai citizens, as opposed to big luxury hotels owned by Western, Japanese or Korean companies.

Secondly, the backpackers of today are very likely to become the more wealthy tourists of tomorrow, so you don't want to piss them off big time by making them feel unwelcome. I was a backpacker myself when I was in my early 20s and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.

The notion of 'quality tourist' reeks of elitism and it's very short sighted businesswise.

I think they should consider a 90-day visa free stay similar to other countries. It would make life much easier for many tourists. And they should also scrap the 90-day reporting or allow people to do the report online. It seems to be wasting the time of both visa holders and immigration staff.

I think they should consider a 90-day visa free stay similar to other countries. It would make life much easier for many tourists. And they should also scrap the 90-day reporting or allow people to do the report online. It seems to be wasting the time of both visa holders and immigration staff.

what countries?

The possibility of having the 90-day report done online is something immigration is considering.

I asked if there was any chance of getting any of the non-immigration visas done online and the answer was, "No, but 90-day report, maybe."

Even with this seemingly good news it baffles me to read posts that call people who utilized the in place - functioning Thai immigration system of the very recent past - and for nearly 10 years prior - ABUSERS. A system that allowed most anyone (tourists) to perform border runs and visa runs to obtain more 'staying' time in Thailand... No one was abusing anything ... Border runs to get extensions of 15-30 days were ALLOWED... and not just allowed - they were facilitated by Thai Border Immigration officers.

Even if one was 'working' in Thailand - the act of working in Thailand without the proper visa was/is a violation of Thai Law ... BUT the act of making border runs to get extra staying time in Thailand was not a violation of law nor an abuse - no trickery - no subterfuge was utilized - no false papers were presented, (fake passports - fake visa stamps, etc.). None of this was necessary - because crossing the border with the minimum of credentials was allowed and facilitated by agents of the Thai Government.

Abusing a system - which rarely questioned an extension of a exemption or tourist visa was an ABUSE ? Laughable.

The Thai Government created by default the system that was in place for many years - so they are now enforcing laws that they did not want to enforce in years before ... but some people abused a system that was not abusedable - IT WAS ALLOWED!

The border run was certainly allowed, that is not in dispute.

However when re-entering the person will state that he/she is entering Thailand for the purpose of tourism.

This is where the abuse can/has set in.

Any thinking person will understand that the serial border runners were/are not bona fide tourists but people who wish to stay long term for whatever personal reason they may have.

Yes, and that personal reason might in many cases just be... tourism. Define what is a tourist. There is no clear definition. I can very well be a tourist for years. So, what is somebody who is not employed in the country, just enjoying life, for a extended time? Not a tourist? If not, what is he?

And this applies to many, many of the people who were using back to back tourist visas. They weren't abusing anything, quite to the contrary, they were acting perfectly by the law by doing pointless regular visa and/or border runs to stay in the country as, basically, a tourist.

• Like 1

Even with this seemingly good news it baffles me to read posts that call people who utilized the in place - functioning Thai immigration system of the very recent past - and for nearly 10 years prior - ABUSERS. A system that allowed most anyone (tourists) to perform border runs and visa runs to obtain more 'staying' time in Thailand... No one was abusing anything ... Border runs to get extensions of 15-30 days were ALLOWED... and not just allowed - they were facilitated by Thai Border Immigration officers.

Even if one was 'working' in Thailand - the act of working in Thailand without the proper visa was/is a violation of Thai Law ... BUT the act of making border runs to get extra staying time in Thailand was not a violation of law nor an abuse - no trickery - no subterfuge was utilized - no false papers were presented, (fake passports - fake visa stamps, etc.). None of this was necessary - because crossing the border with the minimum of credentials was allowed and facilitated by agents of the Thai Government.

Abusing a system - which rarely questioned an extension of a exemption or tourist visa was an ABUSE ? Laughable.

The Thai Government created by default the system that was in place for many years - so they are now enforcing laws that they did not want to enforce in years before ... but some people abused a system that was not abusedable - IT WAS ALLOWED!

However when re-entering the person will state that he/she is entering Thailand for the purpose of tourism.

Any thinking person will understand that the serial border runners were/are not bona fide tourists but people who wish to stay long term for whatever personal reason they may have.

Yes, and that personal reason might in many cases just be... tourism. Define what is a tourist. There is no clear definition. I can very well be a tourist for years. So, what is somebody who is not employed in the country, just enjoying life, for a extended time? Not a tourist? If not, what is he?

And this applies to many, many of the people who were using back to back tourist visas. They weren't abusing anything, quite to the contrary, they were acting perfectly by the law by doing pointless regular visa and/or border runs to stay in the country as, basically, a tourist.

no, they were residents

• Like 1

no, they were residents
They were acting perfectly lawful, that is the point. There is no residential visa obtainable for many in this category. You are blaming the people who did visa runs for the thai immigration laws? Ridiculous. Edited by phylofx

Go say that to the owners of the many clubs and discos currently closed in Pattaya. An extremely rich owner of the Lucifer Disco is said to have proposed to pay " a fortune" to reopen his club closed for 60 days... but the club remained closed! smile.png

It is not 60 days yet and //

Not 60? Ok, what do you know that other people here don't know?

I read the Police Order displayed on their door myself: 60 days closure, Jun 12 - Aug 10

@phylofx

I think the point is that Immigration could not tell the difference between the long-term tourists and those who were working without work-permits or non-B visas.

So they are tightening up in order to encourage the illegal workers to get legal or leave.

Unfortunately, for the long-term, non-working tourists, they too will have to adjust their lifestyle if they want to stay on in Thailand.

The point is, you can't call somebody who was acting perfectly lawful by getting back to back tourist visas for lack of an obtainable residential visa an abuser of a system. This system was in place for many, many years. They can't act like they didn't know about it for a looong time and now are basically "shocked" that people were just following the laws that were put in place by them.

The thing is, I have no problem if they tell people now you are not welcome here anymore if you just want to stay for extended times, not working. BUT then make the rules crystal clear and tell that to people. And not: well, we are suspecting that you might be working, we don't like your face, whatever. Do what you must, but BE CLEAR, that's really all people are asking for. Tell people how long they can stay in the country with tourist status per year, how many exempts, etc..

Edited by phylofx

it is very clear on the 10 year over stay that some one has reminded thailand of human rights issues..

if they have children of married to a thai national..then ban them for life?

you even can not ban them for 1 year, you can fine them if they work illegal, prison time or fine,

but if somebody want to visit wife or children you cant ban!

Several discussion about that already, and in short: you are wrong smile.png

You can't expect Thailand to respect "International Law" (and in this case it's just a "Recommendation")

when yourself don't respect the law (overstay).