Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.
Renewing a visa every year is fine, pretty standard around the world I would think. It's one day out of your life.

In my home country the tempirary residential permit (not visa) is renewed every year for the first five years. After that a permanent residential permit is granted which needs no more renewals. For the renewal the immigration departments sends you a notice to send in your current foreigner ID card. No need to show up personally, nor with spouse or other documents.

The 90 day reporting is quite annoying but, again, it only takes about 10 minutes. Pop into Immigration, say Hello, sign a bit of paper and away you go.

No hassle at all. Better than all the border hops we used to have to do.

To note that the 90 say reporting can also be done by post (they recommend registered letter). I understand that post can vanish and rectifying the situation may be stressful.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can get a 6 months visa for Thailand in Canada, do I still have to do some visa runs ?

I guess your are talking about a double-entry tourist visa valid for travel to Thailand within six months from its date of issue. On each of the two entries with this visa, you will receive permission to stay for 60 days and you have the option to extend your permission to stay by 30 days with an application at your local immigration. Not later than the last day of your permission to stay, you must leave Thailand and you can enter Thailand one more time within the validity period of your visa. Your second entry can be, but does not have to be, the same day as your departure from Thailand.

The post above answered its own question -- Change the Act. Of course if / when you start to change the Act, there may be changes you like and changes that you don't like.

No change of the Immigration Act is necessary if the proposed new 30-day extension is handled the same way as the current so-called 7-day extension, ie a stamp saying that the application for extension is under consideration and that the applicant must report to the immigration office again on the specified date.

At present, the specified date is 7 days after the date of application; with the new procedure it would be 30 days. Leave the country not later than the specified date and you are clear to leave without overstay fine. Report to immigration on the specified date and you get a stamp saying that your application is denied and that you have to leave the country on the same day or, more likely, within 24 hours.

Sounds like an ad-hoc kludge that can be changed on a whim .. not to mention the interesting statistics it will bring : The vast majority of extensions would be denied after the consideration period whistling.gif

I didn't know the 7 day "extension" was handled like this. No wonder it's not in the current police order. Considering something that will fail 100% is a bit .. TiT.

It is there, in the preamble of Police Order 777/2551:

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police Bureau or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien’s application.

Immigration uses this clause to make life easier for the visa-exempt traveller who did not plan his trip well, for the holder of a one-year extension whose extension expires prematurely because a student stops studying, an employee loses his job or resigns, etc. The application for extension is taken for consideration, "a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector" finds that the applicant has no legitimate reason for continuing his stay, and if the applicant does not leave before the end of the consideration period and shows up at the immigration office he is given the information that his application is rejected. Contrary to what some members seem to believe, immigration does have a heart.

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

Renewing a visa every year is fine, pretty standard around the world I would think. It's one day out of your life.

In my home country the tempirary residential permit (not visa) is renewed every year for the first five years. After that a permanent residential permit is granted which needs no more renewals. For the renewal the immigration departments sends you a notice to send in your current foreigner ID card. No need to show up personally, nor with spouse or other documents.

The 90 day reporting is quite annoying but, again, it only takes about 10 minutes. Pop into Immigration, say Hello, sign a bit of paper and away you go.

No hassle at all. Better than all the border hops we used to have to do.

To note that the 90 say reporting can also be done by post (they recommend registered letter). I understand that post can vanish and rectifying the situation may be stressful.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I send mine EMS every time. Never had a problem. Costs next to nothing.

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police Bureau or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien’s application.

Immigration uses this clause to make life easier for the visa-exempt traveller who did not plan his trip well, for the holder of a one-year extension whose extension expires prematurely because a student stops studying, an employee loses his job or resigns, etc. The application for extension is taken for consideration, "a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector" finds that the applicant has no legitimate reason for continuing his stay, and if the applicant does not leave before the end of the consideration period and shows up at the immigration office he is given the information that his application is rejected. Contrary to what some members seem to believe, immigration does have a heart.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. As this is likely to become a popular extension, I wonder if all immigration officers are "a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector" or will some one with a higher rank be caught in mundane stamping work. Interestingly enough there's no mention of how long the consideration period could be.

BTW about the stamps, any chance of resurrecting http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/233079-picture-gallery-of-visa-and-extension-stamps/ ? . I see you mentioned you still have a collection of them, would help when pointing out the differences between visas, exemptions, extensions of stay etc. A sticky thread perhaps ?

Edited by DrTuner

Interesting to say the least.

How does that effect 90 day non immigrant single entry O visa? a 30 day extension instead the current 7? Info appreciated as mine is due to run out September 30! months extension would be appreciated. I have family (Daughter) in Thailand, unmarried and obtained non o visa to visit my daughter. Currently in the process of legitimising the fatherhood of my daughter and may need the extra month before going for the full year extension of stay.

Interesting to say the least.

How does that effect 90 day non immigrant single entry O visa? a 30 day extension instead the current 7? Info appreciated as mine is due to run out September 30! months extension would be appreciated. I have family (Daughter) in Thailand, unmarried and obtained non o visa to visit my daughter. Currently in the process of legitimising the fatherhood of my daughter and may need the extra month before going for the full year extension of stay.

The change from 7 to 30 is only for visa exemption extensions only. It has nothing to do with non-imm O's.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. As this is likely to become a popular extension, I wonder if all immigration officers are "a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector" or will some one with a higher rank be caught in mundane stamping work. Interestingly enough there's no mention of how long the consideration period could be.

BTW about the stamps, any chance of resurrecting http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/233079-picture-gallery-of-visa-and-extension-stamps/ ? . I see you mentioned you still have a collection of them, would help when pointing out the differences between visas, exemptions, extensions of stay etc. A sticky thread perhaps ?

The software used for the Thaivisa forum no longer has the function for picture galleries and I now store my album on a different site for reference of the moderating team.

Paragraph 5 of Police Order 777/2551 leaves the period "under consideration" and the period of extension, if granted, open-ended. How this is handled at immigration offices is probably outlined in an internal instruction or guideline, not intended for the public eye.

I'm heading for The Dominican Republic. Overstay up to 9 MONTHS is $23 USD, no "bad" stamp in your passport, the scuba diving is better, and there are many "gentlemen's clubs" for great fun. After eight years of worrying whether or not I remembered to do my 90 day check-in, I've had it. Even Pattaya Soi 6 has lost the fun feeling it had when I first got here. Too many aggressive, mean-spirited lady-boys.

• Like 1

I'm heading for The Dominican Republic. Overstay up to 9 MONTHS is $23 USD, no "bad" stamp in your passport, the scuba diving is better, and there are many "gentlemen's clubs" for great fun. After eight years of worrying whether or not I remembered to do my 90 day check-in, I've had it. Even Pattaya Soi 6 has lost the fun feeling it had when I first got here. Too many aggressive, mean-spirited lady-boys.

If cheap overstay is the main thing :) then it will be good for you. Personally I don't care if 9 months overstay cost $ 23 or $ 100k. I don't overstay......

• Like 1

If cheap overstay is the main thing smile.png then it will be good for you. Personally I don't care if 9 months overstay cost $ 23 or $ 100k. I don't overstay......

Clearly you are the ideal type of person thailand wants living here! Hopefully the place will be full of rule sticklers like you, and can become Switzerland. The whole "sabai sabai" thing is way overrated IMO.

• Like 2

I'd like to know if the visa 30 days extemption starting the 29th august can be expected for my case too. I have a normal toursit visa. My 60 days 'll finish the 2nd of august and i'll make the 30 days extemption at immigration office. I'll be permitted to stay in the kingdom till the 31 of august but my flight going back to Europe is only the 16th of September. Can i apply for other 30 days extemption between the 29th of august and the 31st??

Before starting my holiday i was thinking to make a visa run to "reach" the 16 September but now i think i can't.

Please give me advice if you can

thanks

I'd like to know if the visa 30 days extemption starting the 29th august can be expected for my case too. I have a normal toursit visa. My 60 days 'll finish the 2nd of august and i'll make the 30 days extemption at immigration office. I'll be permitted to stay in the kingdom till the 31 of august but my flight going back to Europe is only the 16th of September. Can i apply for other 30 days extemption between the 29th of august and the 31st??

Before starting my holiday i was thinking to make a visa run to "reach" the 16 September but now i think i can't.

Please give me advice if you can

thanks

You can only get one 30 day extension. You could still do a border run to get an exempt entry to get the additional days you need to finish your trip. The new rules will not stop you from doing that.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to start another thread as I'm sure the mod's are tired of all these questions....

Yes I've trawled through the information available but things are as clear as mud, so I'll give give my situation and I'd appreciate any advice...

I'm currently an Australian Passport holder on a 30 day visa exemption. When I received the exemption stamp at swampy airport I was warned by the immigration officer
that I had visited Thailand quiet alot ( A total of 6 visa exemptions entry stamps over the past 2 years).... The warning was duly noted and I will seek the proper visa next time I arrive.

So my question is: My time is almost up hear in LOS, my visa exemption expires on the 18th of Aug but I require an extra 7 days as I have a ticket booked to depart on the 24th of Aug....

Are immigration still doing the normal 7 day extensions? or have the new rules already been enforced?

You will have no problems getting the extra 7 days, take a copy of the ticket out with you.

Thanks heaps Mario!....

I've got my ticket, my passport and a passport photo ready to go... I'm assuming the forms to fill out are at the immigration office?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

That makes sense to show you are leaving after the extension. But to get in at first on visa exemption, you need a ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days (airline or immigration might refuse you if you don't have it). You can change the ticket once you are in Thailand, but the hassle and money involved!

A catch-22: you can stay 60 days, but have to proof you are leaving within 30 days.

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary

Not my style of traveling (hotel booking, itinerary). I decide spontaneous where and when to go. Should this question really arise, I will give address of Thai or Farang friend who lives in Bangkok and say I will stay at his place throughout.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to make the visa exemption 60 days instead of having to extend it?

Great idea. Or ask at immigration when you enter if you want 30 days visa exemption (free) or 60 days (1900 Bath).

Consider that citizens of South Korea, Brazil and Peru get 90 days visa exemption, why do Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand get only 30 days?

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

because Thais get 90 days when they go to south korea. Thais offer the same for koreans.

Edited by vantam
  • Like 1

Regarding a double torist visa, has there been any clarification on the amount of time required to be outside the country between exiting and re-entering? 5 days? 7? More?

There is no clarification needed because they has been nothing official stating you had to stay out of the country any longer than it takes to the leave the country and return to use another entry on a tourist visa.

There have already been reports of people doing an immediate re-entry after leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

When applying for a tourist Visa I always am in trouble with the hotel booking as I own a condo. Quiet frankly I am really one of those people that come to Thailand just for 3 months per year and every time they want to see a hotel booking my answer that "I own a condo" makes them pretty vary of me. I come here since roughly 7 years and I have seen most of Thailand....so then they ask what my travel plans are. Well...my travel plans are Beach -- Pool -- Bar rinse and repeat. Its kinda hard to show proof of that. I can send em pics if they want. tongue.png

Chriso, when you travel just take with you a copy of the ownership of your condo ( called Chanot din), also the back side, where your name is written in thai letters, and the problem of showing your hotel reservations will be solved.

According to this article http://chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4366

What about the 30-day extension?

The Immigration Office can grant you a 30-day extension on tourist visas, at a cost of 1,900 baht. However, those on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a seven-day extension period.

So they are not going to implement a 30 day extension on visa exemption??

According to this article http://chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4366

What about the 30-day extension?

The Immigration Office can grant you a 30-day extension on tourist visas, at a cost of 1,900 baht. However, those on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a seven-day extension period.

So they are not going to implement a 30 day extension on visa exemption??

As discussed elsewhere, the article is wrong. Starting 29/8 it will be possible to get a 30 days extension for visa exempt entry.

I am an italian turist and will be in Thailand from december 2014 until february 2015. I will stay totally 72 days. Readind about thai visa i cannot understand the way to ask visa for a so long period. Tks

I am an italian turist and will be in Thailand from december 2014 until february 2015. I will stay totally 72 days. Readind about thai visa i cannot understand the way to ask visa for a so long period. Tks

You need a single entry tourist visa from Thai embassy or consulate. Before 60 days have lapsed, you will need to extend 30 more days at any Immigration office, for a fee of Bt. 1,900.

In your country apply for a single tourist visa at the Thai embassy, that one is good for a stay of 60 days and you can extend it inside Thailand itself for another 30 days.

That way you will not have any problems. Apply for it in November, to make sure you will have a valid visa once you arrive in Thailand. (You must use it within 3 months from when you apply).

Hello I love to spend 5 months in the winter in Thailand, I am retired and love to spend time on the beach, but those visa runs drive me nuts. If they want long stay tourists to come, they have to change that, the sooner the better, Schimi

He did confirm that those entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry can only extend for 7 days in Thailand; a tourist visa can extend for 30 days.

This is a quote from the "clarification" meeting this weekend in Chiang Mai....

He did confirm that those entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry can only extend for 7 days in Thailand; a tourist visa can extend for 30 days.

This is a quote from the "clarification" meeting this weekend in Chiang Mai....

That was on the 20th.

The new police order has been done and made public that allows for the 30 day visa exempt entry extensions and goes into effect on the 29th.

Also another article does not say it was a confirmation. It was a comment made when another topic was being discussed.

I will go by the written police order not a comment that was actually correct when it was made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with Visa exempt extension, for anyone that finds it useful. This was in Bangkok.

I got the extension on my visa exempt for another 30 days.

I had 6 previous Thai exempt stamps in my passport, spread over the last year. They definitely examined each one, looking at it longer than just a glance. Long enough to see what the date was on each (usually there were gaps between stamps, when I stayed in other countries for awhile). However they didn't ask any questions.

They did NOT ask to see 10,000 tbh cash, flight tickets out of Thailand, confirmation of hotel, or itinerary. They did ask several times to make sure the name and address of my hotel was correct.

The only hiccup was they said that the photo did not look like me (holding it up next to my face, then staring back and forth between me and the photo several times). This is the same photo that is in my passport, and is about 2.5 years old. My hair is about 1" long now (2" in the picture), and I've lost about 5 kilos. I don't think it looks that different. Nevertheless, they made me run downstairs to get a new photo (100 tbh & 5 minutes). I did not point out the logical flaw in their assertion...if this photo doesn't look like me, and it's the same photo that's in my passport, how do you know this passport belongs to me?

So have a relatively new photo with you.

I arrived at 9:30, and was 15th in line, according to my queue ticket. I did not get called to the counter until 11:15, and literally got my passport back as they were leaving for lunch (12)...almost got kicked out by security, but while I was asking if I could please check to see if my passport was ready (and she was shaking her head "no"), they called my name. I lucked out on that.