Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

Keep in mind that another option is to buy a cheap onward ticket to somewhere close by (Cambo, Laos) within the 30d window with which to satisfy the original airline. You can either go with a cheap throwaway, or spend more but make it a refundable ticket. Personally, I've been successful with just explaining my intentions to leave Thailand within the 30d by land (to Laos), but it definitely HAS come up.

No need to throw away tickets, as explained below

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

• 1 month later...

Do the airlines allow you to board if your return date is longer than the 30 days visa exempt duration?

I flew here from Australia on Jetstar without a visa, and my return flight was 35 days after entry. Not one person said anything regarding my length of stay and not having the appropriate permission.

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

If I flew into Thailand with a tourist visa on a one way ticket, going to Immigration before the 60 days are over and asking for a 30-day extension, would a bus ticket out of Thailand within these 30 days be as good as an airline ticket ?

For example, I I travelled out of Thailand on the bus tour from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang , or on a TOUR to Phnom Pen . . . . . would this be sufficient proof of onward travel if I can show them the tour / bus ticket ?

Does it have to be an AIRLINE ticket out of Thailand ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this with a return ticket further out than the 30 days with any luck?

my return ticket is for 5 months out but i think if i bring 20k in cash and a smiling face they may be more cooperative

You will not need to show a ticket out of the country.

If you are going to be staying for another 5 months I suggest you spend the 1900 baht for the extension towards making a trip to Laos for a 2 entry tourist visa.

Has anyone tried this with a return ticket further out than the 30 days with any luck?

my return ticket is for 5 months out but i think if i bring 20k in cash and a smiling face they may be more cooperative

You will not need to show a ticket out of the country.

If you are going to be staying for another 5 months I suggest you spend the 1900 baht for the extension towards making a trip to Laos for a 2 entry tourist visa.

I will, that will be after my 30 day extension cause im taking a language class next month and i dont want to miss any days

plus i can work the laos trip in with a buddy whos been there done that and has to do it again.

so your saying i go in on 29th day and show them cash and all is well?

You don't have to wait until the 29th day. You can do it a couple of weeks early. You loose nothing by doing it early because the extension starts at the end of your entry,

Just go with a completed TM7 form with an attached 4cm X 6cm photo, copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card plus 1900 baht for the fee.

You don't have to wait until the 29th day. You can do it a couple of weeks early. You loose nothing by doing it early because the extension starts at the end of your entry,

Just go with a completed TM7 form with an attached 4cm X 6cm photo, copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card plus 1900 baht for the fee.

thanks for the info... very helpful

• 1 month later...

I went to penang to get a tourist visa about 2 weeks ago. stayed there around a week..got to the hat yai boarder check and got refused entry to thailand initially twice becoz i didnt have 20,000 baht available at that moment and told to go back to malaysia...that was scary as hell but i was then told by one of the taxi/bus guys just put 200 baht in ur passport and right enough no problem.....

So is that prefered method?

il soon be going to the immigration for apply for extension..i know alot has changed in the last few months will i get refused there now? unlesss i produce the capital

I went to penang to get a tourist visa about 2 weeks ago. stayed there around a week..got to the hat yai boarder check and got refused entry to thailand initially twice becoz i didnt have 20,000 baht available at that moment and told to go back to malaysia...that was scary as hell but i was then told by one of the taxi/bus guys just put 200 baht in ur passport and right enough no problem.....

So is that prefered method?

il soon be going to the immigration for apply for extension..i know alot has changed in the last few months will i get refused there now? unlesss i produce the capital

Wrong topic if you have a 60 day tourist visa entry you want to extend. You will not need to show any financial proof at immigration when you apply for it,

It sounds like you tried entering at Sadao. What happened to you has been reported several times. Others have been told to put 500 baht in their passport.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am an American citizen and this is from the American Thai Embassy website:

"If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended twice, each time for an additional 30 days. There is a 1,900 Baht fee for each extension."

Does anyone else interpret this to mean you can extend a tourist visa twice for 30 days ea time? I have a triple entry and I have extended the third entry already but I am trying to buy just a little more time.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Hello, I am an American citizen and this is from the American Thai Embassy website:

"If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended twice, each time for an additional 30 days. There is a 1,900 Baht fee for each extension."

Does anyone else interpret this to mean you can extend a tourist visa twice for 30 days ea time? I have a triple entry and I have extended the third entry already but I am trying to buy just a little more time.

Each tourist visa entry can be extended for 30 days, once only. A second application would get 7 days only.

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

You can only extend a 60 day tourist visa entry one time, Info is an error.

You could do a border run to get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is already answered but I was thinking of applying for a 60 day tourist visa through the embassy in my country. I've lost my passport and I'm going to get a new one but if I apply for the 60 days tourist visa it will take an estimated 2 weeks before I get my passport back (since the embassy is so far away from my city it has to be sent by mail). I'm afraid that I won't have it back before my flight leaves. So since I've already booked and deposited money for my stay in Phuket, I was wondering if there is any chance to either extend my normal 30 day entry visa on arrival or through immigration somewhere in Phuket without any hazzle or troubles?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh sorry, I'm from Norway.

I messed up, I mean it says on thai embassy that we can stay for 30 days without a visa. And my flight is booked for 2 months stay.

Why was it so difficult to obtain a tourist visa prior to departure?

You are lucky because a 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days by application at a local immigration office at a cost of 1900 Bht

• Like 1

Heh, it shouldn't have been. Just retarded by me to wait until last minute and then finding out I have to get a new passport since I lost it, which will take time and then there is a 2 week average waiting time from the embassy.

Good to know and thanks for the information. Then I'll just go to the immigration once I arrive. Cheers.

Edited by nailclippers

• 2 months later...