Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

I feel much better after this news today. I was almost going to leave the country but now feel confident getting another tourist visa. But there are still no clear guidelines to follow so there will still be a certain amount of stress and guesswork ahead.

It is a shame the authorities have caused a lot of confusion and stress for tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of tourists, by not providing us with clear guidelines. They haven't even been able to provide their own immigration officers with clear guidelines, which has resulted in people wrongly being turned away on tourist visas. Whoever is in charge of this fiasco should be sacked from their position, it stinks of incompetence.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by mat999

Regarding worries about airlines letting you on the plane if your flight is more than 30 days after arrival, people can always book the cheapest one way flight from Thailand to Cambodia (eg on Air Asia) as proof of onward travel on day 30, then simply don't use the ticket and extend to 60 days, or have a few jolly days in a neighbouring country. I think that's obviously an unnecessary expense but should satisfy any airlines if you really want to be absolutely sure of getting on the plane. ???

Proactive approach by Thai Immigration which is very positive. As for Scott and his video, very clear understandable communications pertaining to the confusion on recent and upcoming changes for Tourist visa/exempt concerns. A big "thank you" to Thai Immigration and to Scott for taking your time to address these issues.

looks to me like every Tom, Dick and Harry is having a go here......some have one idea others are patching over the cracks.......the proof of the pudding will come in August and September when we get to see how immigration mange to handle or INTERPRET al these dictums.

Not one seems to be based on ANY real research....they are just nape-of-the-neck pronouncements.

So what should I do? I'm only going for 3 weeks. I have flight ticket back to UK

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you're only going for 3 weeks you'll get a 30 day visa exemption just like all the other tourists from the UK do.

Yea I'm reading so many things and it's just confusing me, even though I've got single entry and double entry visas in my passport. I'm going to be ok?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As in the case of the 28/28 rotation oil workers etc who have been mentioned several times.. if the immigration officer is counting previous stamps in the passport, then quite a lot is going to rest on whether the immigration officer feels it is credible that a person can be a genuine tourist in Thailand several times a year simply because they have the money to do so. Further complicated if the tourist keeps a rented condo because it is more convenient and cheaper than paying for a hotel every day.

It may be logical to us that such perpetual tourists do exist, but may not be in the eyes of the immigration officer....

• Like 1

Regarding worries about airlines letting you on the plane if your flight is more than 30 days after arrival, people can always book the cheapest one way flight from Thailand to Cambodia (eg on Air Asia) as proof of onward travel on day 30, then simply don't use the ticket and extend to 60 days, or have a few jolly days in a neighbouring country. I think that's obviously an unnecessary expense but should satisfy any airlines if you really want to be absolutely sure of getting on the plane. ???

You can buy a fully refundable ticket and have it, -hmm- refunded.

IMMIGRATION should be proud of their country and all the history it has to offer and not limit a person to a mere 30-60 days to try to cover, experience, enjoy every nook and cranny of the country. Give 10 year tourist Visas like the USA and we shall all be happy.

I don't think there will be any change of stance though on the ones that are abusing the system.

You mean abusing the system like just having some bad financial luck in life despite probably working as hard as everyone else…..and somehow ending up with not enough funds to afford 800k sitting doing nothing?

I hope Thailand also creates an opportunity for visitors who want to stay longer which are not married with Thais
and also not have the age for the retirement visa and of course not want to work in Thailand.
A friend of mine is 36 years, has a nice apartment building in Europe with a monthly income of 150,000 baht.
He loves Thailand and would like to stay regularly in Thailand over winter from September to end of April (8 month).
Rest of the year he enjoy the summer in Europe.
He spends a lot of money, rent houses and cars for a long time.
So how he can stay legally in Thailand?
Actually, such long time tourists must be also interesting.
And there are many of these young heirs with money and lots of free time.
  • Like 1

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

Please add Retirement Extension to the elimination 90 day repports, seems kine of dumb when you have nee here 10 years and your wife has a house you bought for her and have lived ther 6 plus years. Next offer 1, 3 or 5 year extensions so you do not have to go through the "Process every year of you cabn afford to pay the fees.

• Like 1

Some people just don't get it and try to complicate this most recent confirmation. It's so simple, just follow the instruction/rules. Every time someone starts to go off on a tangent about what Thailand should do, it only creates more confusion for others. Some people enjoy rocking the boat while others don't appreciate it one bit.

So please explain to me how someone who travels to Thailand on a visa exemption who is supposed to have proof of onward travel within those 30 days to board the airplane can now stay for 60 days.

I see no benefit in it,it will still be easier and cheaper just to obtain a tourist visa before travelling.

I think it's for well-organised people who have a change of plan, e.g. frequent visitors who need to delay their return for Thailand. The need to show hotel accommodation is interesting.

They just need CLEAR guidelines at border-check points on the latest visa crackdown and what they are actually trying to achieve rather than having each officer put his own interpretation on it. Right now it is total chaos.

• Like 1

Extension seems to be only given with a ticket out, to unsure one is a real tourist.

But as others said, for a visa exempt entry by air one needs to show a ticket out within 30 days in the first place. So you can only get the extension if you buy a ticket that you can change.

I'm pretty sure that the airlines will know about the new regulations and act accordingly

• Like 1

Extension seems to be only given with a ticket out, to unsure one is a real tourist.

But as others said, for a visa exempt entry by air one needs to show a ticket out within 30 days in the first place. So you can only get the extension if you buy a ticket that you can change.

I'm pretty sure that the airlines will know about the new regulations and act accordingly

I'm not so sure considering the system used by many still reports the old regulation of max 6 months visa exempt entry each 12.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

I'm not so sure considering the system used by many still reports the old regulation of max 6 months visa exempt entry each 12.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

Man - the announcement has just been made. There is no value in old links.

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht, or rather 20,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary

4. One photo, passport sized.

5. Application fee, 1,900 Baht

Great...Now I need to show all these docs and money for tourist visa extension too?

Hi.

I just want to confirm regarding the new rules posted in this thread.

I am currently on my 2nd entry of my Tourist Visa.

I would like to get a 30 day extension then fly outside Thailand for 6 weeks.

Question:

When I apply for a 30 day extension at Jomtien on September 2nd , do I need to bring:

1A onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation

4. One photo, passport sized

Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht.

Thanks.

TC.

Anybody who could answer this Dear members ? in my case, especially no.3 Hotel booking ?

From the OP it reads as if all extensions need this proof now. I am on a triple TV myself and stay with friends and therefore no booking for the full period of my 3rd entry to come.

so far I was under the impression "Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht." is enough.

sad.png

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by fuzzzzy

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht, or rather 20,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary

4. One photo, passport sized.

Great...Now I need to show all these docs and money for tourist visa extension too?

Ask your local immigration office at exact time you need to do the extensions.

These are some Bangkok bosses talking now. Not your local office at the due time.

Pazz is pointing out the fact that the IATA database is still mentioning the old rule, that has been abolished for some years now.

I'm talking about the individual airlines - they will be wise to it soon.

You will find that most of them, as mentioned above, use the IATA database. What they see is what you see.

Of course if you want to think that airlines are wise, fine with me,

Pazz is pointing out the fact that the IATA database is still mentioning the old rule, that has been abolished for some years now.

I'm talking about the individual airlines - they will be wise to it soon.

Individual airlines normally get these kind of rule changes through IATA, which keeps a database of all rules.

Anybody who could answer this Dear members ? in my case, especially no.3 Hotel booking ?

From the OP it reads as if all extensions need this proof now. I am on a triple TV myself and stay with friends and therefore no booking for the full period of my 3rd entry to come.

so far I was under the impression "Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht." is enough.

You worry too much. If you will have any problem in obtaining an extension, come back here and call me an idiot.

• Like 1

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

Please add Retirement Extension to the elimination 90 day repports, seems kine of dumb when you have nee here 10 years and your wife has a house you bought for her and have lived ther 6 plus years. Next offer 1, 3 or 5 year extensions so you do not have to go through the "Process every year of you cabn afford to pay the fees.

The Thai Immigration Act of 2522 (1979) specifies at Section 35 (3) that the category (Other) in which covers retirement will allow a temporary stay in the Kingdom of 'not exceeding one year'.

If the necessary officialdom were consider modifying such an Act ********* I think they would like to see a greater justification than some retired farang thinks it's dumb.

Edited by Mario2008
unnecesarry part removed

When applying for a tourist Visa I always am in trouble with the hotel booking as I own a condo. Quiet frankly I am really one of those people that come to Thailand just for 3 months per year and every time they want to see a hotel booking my answer that "I own a condo" makes them pretty vary of me. I come here since roughly 7 years and I have seen most of Thailand....so then they ask what my travel plans are. Well...my travel plans are Beach -- Pool -- Bar rinse and repeat. Its kinda hard to show proof of that. I can send em pics if they want. tongue.png

If you show Immigration the condominium ownership papers, I expect that they will believe you. Have you not asked them what you can do in order to stay here longer each year since you own a condominium? There must be a way.

The 90-Days reporting for married couples should be removed. It's such a silly rule for this category of visa holders. If one of my children had thought up this idea, I'd have been very disappointed with myself as a father.

Regarding giving married couples a visa longer than one year, I realize that some couples will get divorced and that bar girls sometimes (or often) kick their farang husband onto the streets when he can't come up with enough money anymore. But if Immigration is worried about some people staying in the country after being divorced, they can make it compulsory for District Offices to report divorces to Immigration. This will enable all the other 95% of couples to receive 2- to 10-year extensions depending on the duration of their current marriage. Something like this anyway.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it just be simpler to make the visa exemption 60 days instead of having to extend it?

The first 30 days of the visa exemption are free, the extension will cost you 1900 baht.

If they made the visa exemption 60 days there would be no revenue stream for them.

• Like 1