Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

So the #2 official is saying that should, such a change occur it is in conformance with the explicit text of the Act as 'a letter'. People come on here and mention all sorts of changes they would like to see without having the slightest idea what is law, what ministerial regulation, and what is in the purview of a Police Order.

I don't have the slightest idea whether this will occur pr not -- I make a point of visiting the local IMM office for 90 day report.

Like I said, believe what you want. If they want it done, it'll get done.

I'm not just "mentioning it." It was said. You don't want to believe it, then don't. My own way of looking at what I'm told by those in charge is to take them at their word. Especially now.

I mail my report in and would jump on doing it online.

What you said above is that they are considering allowing an online submission of the 90 day report and I agreed that may occur because someone will decide that the online submission conforms with the 'send a letter' in Section 37-5 of the Immigration Act and therefore requires no change in the Immigration Act.

Okay....I would like to see them do this because I think even with the mail-in, the 90-day report causes some people grief. Why I don't know, but it does.

However when re-entering the person will state that he/she is entering Thailand for the purpose of tourism.

This is where the abuse can/has set in.

Any thinking person will understand that the serial border runners were/are not bona fide tourists but people who wish to stay long term for whatever personal reason they may have.

It can be abuse if you lie and work illegally for example. I does not have to be abuse though. Why would it be abuse to be a tourist longer than a certain time? Yes, some people want to stay in Thailand for whatever personal reason they may have - like tourism! How does doing sightseeing, take photos and going to bars and restaurants stop being tourism after X days, and what does it become? How is spending money here bad for the country?

I've been a tourist for the last five years. I guess I'm not a thinking person because I don't understand that I don't exist or are an abuser of Southeast Asian countries' immigration laws. I actually thought my spending here had a positive effect on the tourism industry and the whole economy, not a negative effect. Silly me!

It's OK to say that there is or may be abuse, but not OK to say that all border-runners are abusers. Many people just spend their money here; Money from outside of Thailand. The longer I spend here rather than in Malaysia or East Timor, the better it is for Thailand, IMHO.

Okay....I would like to see them do this because I think even with the mail-in,

the 90-day report causes some people grief. Why I don't know, but it does.

I would like to know too what big grief they get for this 90-report?

- it's rather easy

- you don't have to do it yourself

- you can often do it by mail

Maybe griefs from people who live far for an Immigration Office who refuse report by mail ?

- it's rather easy

Maybe griefs from people who live far for an Immigration Office who refuse report by mail ?

You might be surprised at how many people, especially those fairly new to Thailand, are a bit freaked out by it. I get messages from people all the time asking about it, worrying about it, telling me why they don't want to mail anything in, or who feel like they already have their visa so they don't know why they have to do anything else. I don't get it, but it happens.

I've been mailing mine is from when they first started allowing it and used to go to Suan Plu to do it. I just get a little postal place in the mall to do everything for me and it costs like 70 baht.

• Like 1

Since the discussion has veered to the 90-day report for long-term extensioners, let me repeat my objection to this requirement -- even though we know it is the law of the land:

The 90-day report is a report of one's current address. I asked a senior Immo official why we need to do this and she said "in case you have problems" (with the law and are wanted). In other words, they want to be able to find you quickly if you are wanted by law enforcement.

That said, the long-term extensioners are least likely among ex-pats to be moving around the country, and they have to report their address AND cell phone number at each annual renewal.

Indeed, after the 90-day report they could be anywhere in the country and impossible to trace quickly.

So why not have those on one-year exemptions report their address once a year?

The 90-day thing is useless from a practical standpoint, a waste of time and/or postage, and can result in a red stamp in your passport if you miss the deadline for reporting (and a fine of 2000 - 5,000 baht).

- it's rather easy

You might be surprised at how many people, especially those fairly new to Thailand, are a bit freaked out by it. I get messages from people all the time asking about it, worrying about it, telling me why they don't want to mail anything in, or who feel like they already have their visa so they don't know why they have to do anything else. I don't get it, but it happens.

I've been mailing mine is from when they first started allowing it and used to go to Suan Plu to do it. I just get a little postal place in the mall to do everything for me and it costs like 70 baht.

You live where you are allowed to mail it in. Many on this board live over 150 km by road from the office they have to use( even though there may be a closer one). Others are in poor heath and it is a real effort to attend an office. I know I am n oxygen almost all the time and in the smokey season find it almost impossible to leave the airconditioned room, why cannot I mail it in too? ( not as a special favour begged and maybe this time.). Sometimes it is important to put yourself in someone else's shoes if you consider something is not a problem.

90 days: At least let the people who have yellow thabian baans off the hook. My name and address is right there. I even got the Thai ID number (the one beginning with 6, ie. illegals and other temporary dwellers) that hook me right up to their system.

Edited by DrTuner

Others are in poor heath and it is a real effort to attend an office. I know I am n oxygen almost all the time and in the smokey season find it almost impossible to leave the airconditioned room, why cannot I mail it in too? ( not as a special favour begged and maybe this time.)

I understand, but please note that you don't need to go yourself to Immigration for a 90-days report.

Anyone can do it for you. You may find someone who pass by there in the 2 weeks before your date. It's usually a very fast/short operation.

This means there will be a new police order concerning the rules of extension, won't it ?

Not necessarily. If it is handled the same way as the current so-called seven-day extension, no new Police order is needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The post above answered its own question -- Change the Act. Of course if / when you start to change the Act, there may be changes you like and changes that you don't like.

No change of the Immigration Act is necessary if the proposed new 30-day extension is handled the same way as the current so-called 7-day extension, ie a stamp saying that the application for extension is under consideration and that the applicant must report to the immigration office again on the specified date.

At present, the specified date is 7 days after the date of application; with the new procedure it would be 30 days. Leave the country not later than the specified date and you are clear to leave without overstay fine. Report to immigration on the specified date and you get a stamp saying that your application is denied and that you have to leave the country on the same day or, more likely, within 24 hours.

If any member reported to immigration on the specified date, I would be grateful for a scanned copy of the stamp for my reference album.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Immigration Act 2522 en.pdf

The 90-day report is a report of one's current address.

It is a report of staying in the county more than 90 days not an address report.

The title of the TM47 says it.

"FORM FOR ALIEN TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS"

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

Renewing a visa every year is fine, pretty standard around the world I would think. It's one day out of your life.

The 90 day reporting is quite annoying but, again, it only takes about 10 minutes. Pop into Immigration, say Hello, sign a bit of paper and away you go.

No hassle at all. Better than all the border hops we used to have to do.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

It's called a residency permit.

The post above answered its own question -- Change the Act. Of course if / when you start to change the Act, there may be changes you like and changes that you don't like.

No change of the Immigration Act is necessary if the proposed new 30-day extension is handled the same way as the current so-called 7-day extension, ie a stamp saying that the application for extension is under consideration and that the applicant must report to the immigration office again on the specified date.

At present, the specified date is 7 days after the date of application; with the new procedure it would be 30 days. Leave the country not later than the specified date and you are clear to leave without overstay fine. Report to immigration on the specified date and you get a stamp saying that your application is denied and that you have to leave the country on the same day or, more likely, within 24 hours.

Sounds like an ad-hoc kludge that can be changed on a whim .. not to mention the interesting statistics it will bring : The vast majority of extensions would be denied after the consideration period whistling.gif

I didn't know the 7 day "extension" was handled like this. No wonder it's not in the current police order. Considering something that will fail 100% is a bit .. TiT.

Edited by DrTuner

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

That makes sense to show you are leaving after the extension. But to get in at first on visa exemption, you need a ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days (airline or immigration might refuse you if you don't have it). You can change the ticket once you are in Thailand, but the hassle and money involved!

A catch-22: you can stay 60 days, but have to proof you are leaving within 30 days.

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary

Not my style of traveling (hotel booking, itinerary). I decide spontaneous where and when to go. Should this question really arise, I will give address of Thai or Farang friend who lives in Bangkok and say I will stay at his place throughout.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to make the visa exemption 60 days instead of having to extend it?

Great idea. Or ask at immigration when you enter if you want 30 days visa exemption (free) or 60 days (1900 Bath).

Consider that citizens of South Korea, Brazil and Peru get 90 days visa exemption, why do Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand get only 30 days?

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

Hi All

Hope some one can advise me on the following dilemma , i am married, have two kids been in Thailand a far while mostly on non O to start with, then the other year on retirement visa multi entry.
My retirement and multi entry ran out in may , but i entered before the visa run out date so had the xtra time on the visa to run, but during this time i had to go back to the UK, got a new passport and returned to Thailand ,fully intending to re new my Retirement visa ,how ever i got a call to do some work and left the country on the 16th July.
I am due back to Thailand on the 27th Aug ,i have already one VOA in my passport ,will i be refused entry.
I have a copy of marriage and kids birth certificates with me plus my bank books will this help ? May just have to wait till after the 12th Aug to see if this will give a problem getting back in.

Have the correct visa and its no problem, in other countries they did not allow abuse of the system,

In my country it is normal to grant a 6 month multiple entry visa for tourism purposes, with no interim reporting. Of course it is necessary to qualify for the visa.

whats the point of a tourist visa if after 29 Aug you can get 30 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days ..?

You don't have to go to an Immigration Office.

what I also am getting at it makes whats going on now quite over the top, as all that have been refused entry over the past 2 weeks will in effect on 29 Aug be allowed into thailand for a possible 60 days...so i just think they has messed up big time ..toughened up the immigation requirements when most of the border have forgotten them. it is very clear on the 10 year over stay that some one has reminded thailand of human rights issues..if they have children of married to a thai national..then ban them for life?

you even can not ban them for 1 year, you can fine them if they work illegal, prison time or fine, but if somebody want to visit wife or children you cant ban!

Yes, the country can ban married foreigners, especially criminals. There is still the possibility that the local spouse (Thai in this case) can see their partner in another (home) country. It's all about the local implementation UN human rights recommendations. European countries subscribe to their Human Rights Convention that has far reaching consequenes, as it limits very much the cases where authorities can defacto deny spouses and family living together.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is marvellous news, coming hard on the heels of all the scaremongering that has been reported on TV recently.

However, is there any penalty attached to this good news? Is it still advisable to get a Visa in the U.K. for instance, before flying, if planning to stay up to 60 days?

So what should I do? I'm only going for 3 weeks. I have flight ticket back to UK

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you're only going for 3 weeks you'll get a 30 day visa exemption just like all the other tourists from the UK do.

Yea I'm reading so many things and it's just confusing me, even though I've got single entry and double entry visas in my passport. I'm going to be ok?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As in the case of the 28/28 rotation oil workers etc who have been mentioned several times.. if the immigration officer is counting previous stamps in the passport, then quite a lot is going to rest on whether the immigration officer feels it is credible that a person can be a genuine tourist in Thailand several times a year simply because they have the money to do so. Further complicated if the tourist keeps a rented condo because it is more convenient and cheaper than paying for a hotel every day.

It may be logical to us that such perpetual tourists do exist, but may not be in the eyes of the immigration officer....

How they want to handle the people who own a Condo in thailand, or may be more Condos? they cant refuse them enter Thailand,

All this people have the right to check their propertys or to live in their Condo,

They may be have to leave every 30/60 days but they have the right to enter Thailand again.

Or Thailand will break international contracts and agreements and the country will have to pay compensation!

Thy can not change the rules for Investors, and if they only try then it will be a huge impact of the building bussines in Thailand, ghosttowns in Phuket and attaya

Use of local property is always under the condition that you may enter the country legally.

If you are prohibited from using the property cause denied entry, feel free to be an investor and have a local agent mange it for you.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app