Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

Anybody who could answer this Dear members ? in my case, especially no.3 Hotel booking ?

From the OP it reads as if all extensions need this proof now. I am on a triple TV myself and stay with friends and therefore no booking for the full period of my 3rd entry to come.

so far I was under the impression "Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht." is enough.

You worry too much. If you will have any problem in obtaining an extension, come back here and call me an idiot.

thanks. I honestly hope that I do not need to report back and call you names.

BFD.

I'd like to see them start making 5 or 10-year visas for people who have been living here for at least five years, especially people who are married to locals and/or have kids here.

The tourist visa is not the problem for Thailand, the problem is treating long-term law-abiding ex-pats like criminals every year as we grovel for them to approve us for another year. It's a disgusting practice to have to sit in front of these smug immigration officers (some are nice, granted) as they look you over like you just came out from prison on parole.

It's a demeaning experience that should not have to be endured year upon year.

Edited by spermwhale
  • Like 1

It's a disgusting practice to have to sit in front of these smug immigration officers (some are nice, granted) as they look you over like you just came out from prison on parole.

this was probably not very helpful.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

At least the immigration officers in Jomtien are very friendly and cooperative.

What this is going to do is crowd the already overcrowded immigration office in Chiang Mai,, however the coffee shop will do a brisk business and I suspect, the rent and prices will be going up.

• Like 1

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

For instance they could also think of Non Imm "O" Extension based on marriage or retirement for two years / I will be glad to pay the double fee accordingly...

I would be happy to pay 10,000 up front for 5 years with just an annual report necessary. Please Immigration consider this, it would be really cost effective for all concerned!

• Like 1

Good news , gives true tourists a degree of flexibility. I am still unsure though about the following scenario; Enter Thailand with 30 day Visa exempt and after 3 weeks exit at a land border ( lets say into Laos ) If I return 7- 10 days later would I be refused entry on the grounds of back to back ?

Great news for my situation with the visa exemption extension, I will be trying this out for ANZAC day in Kanchanaburi next year.

I thought it odd this was mentioned, you should show a return ticket, I cannot leave Perth international airport without proof of a return ticket, or are we just an isolated case in the backwaters of Oz??

Good news , gives true tourists a degree of flexibility. I am still unsure though about the following scenario; Enter Thailand with 30 day Visa exempt and after 3 weeks exit at a land border ( lets say into Laos ) If I return 7- 10 days later would I be refused entry on the grounds of back to back ?

If you can show a outbound ticket, 20000 Baht, no border run in/out same day filled in you passport... i don't think you have a problem then. Then you are a tourist smile.png

Edited by carstenp

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht, or rather 20,000 Baht (not very clear guidelines, is it 10.000 or 20.000?)

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary If you stay in your own Condo or house will they reject you than or what? and who many of us makes a itenerary for the comming 30 days?

4. One photo, passport sized.

5. Application fee, 1,900 Baht

Will there be new regulations next week?

• Like 1

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

G7 citizens can stay for 30 days X 3 without a visa, not 2 months as you have stated, I am currently on my 3rd 30 days & will require to get an Non Imm 'O' visa in Laos at the end of july

Edited by Jip66

All we need now is longer visa's for those married to thai citizens and to stop the 90 reporting, then we will be able to see that things are improving for the better.

For instance they could also think of Non Imm "O" Extension based on marriage or retirement for two years / I will be glad to pay the double fee accordingly...

I would be happy to pay 10,000 up front for 5 years with just an annual report necessary. Please Immigration consider this, it would be really cost effective for all concerned!

No genie in the bottle is running things right now....and Santa Claus does not exist.

I do hope you wish comes true.

If you stay in your own Condo or house will they reject you than or what?

Do you really expect an answer to this "question"? rolleyes.gif

and who many of us makes a itenerary for the comming 30 days?

Most tourists have a itinerary, sure! smile.png

or at least a list of locations they would like to visit.

I think this has made it quite clear, Immigration want Genuine Tourists, they want to clear out the people that are abusing the system. Which is perfectly correct.

A good move

Mr Toad I smell what your cooking but:

Immigration do not have desires or the ability or duty to define a Genuine Tourist and I not even sure how that would be defined.

Clear out those who are obeying immigration law, No abusing anything comply with the Law

Which is totally incorrect, you rock at presenting your internal dialog, glad most people agree. Seriously rules for this forum should be changed to prevent this. This is exactly the stuff that causes wikipedia reverts...

I may have misunderstood, but my question would be: will airlines allow somebody to board a flight for Thailand if their return ticket is more than 30 days ahead and they have no visa? in other words: will the airlines place any weight on the fact that a 30 day visa exemption extension is possible? If the position is unclear then tourists who fancy a stay of six weeks or so will probably still want a tourist visa.

Book your flight with an out date within the 30 day period then if you want to stay longer apply for the extention and change the return date on your ticket. Most airlines will let you make one change of date for free and subsequent date changes for a nominal fee around $30.

My Suggestion why not make visa online just upload all documents and wire /NEFT(national electronic fund Transfer) the fees to immigration and receive an Email visa.

This is my idea can i share all details with ADMIN may be this decrees the cost of going to immigration all the people now a days handle computer and mails

• Like 2

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht, or rather 20,000 Baht (not very clear guidelines, is it 10.000 or 20.000?)

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary If you stay in your own Condo or house will they reject you than or what? and who many of us makes a itenerary for the comming 30 days?

4. One photo, passport sized.

Will there be new regulations next week?

Here we go again...Always find the dark side of everything.

Well there is no difference if you have 20000 or 10000 to be sure. If you own a condo... are you then tourist (Maybe holiday Condo, but house you need a thai to sign for the land)

Will there be new regulations next week - Maybe you never know.. Is there law

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Extension seems to be only given with a ticket out, to unsure one is a real tourist.

But as others said, for a visa exempt entry by air one needs to show a ticket out within 30 days in the first place. So you can only get the extension if you buy a ticket that you can change.

I'm pretty sure that the airlines will know about the new regulations and act accordingly

I'm not so sure considering the system used by many still reports the old regulation of max 6 months visa exempt entry each 12.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

Man - the announcement has just been made. There is no value in old links.

The ink is still wet. The 'i's need doted and the 't's need crossing. I would very much doubt at this stage that the airlines know anymore than we do.

When applying for a tourist Visa I always am in trouble with the hotel booking as I own a condo. Quiet frankly I am really one of those people that come to Thailand just for 3 months per year and every time they want to see a hotel booking my answer that "I own a condo" makes them pretty vary of me. I come here since roughly 7 years and I have seen most of Thailand....so then they ask what my travel plans are. Well...my travel plans are Beach -- Pool -- Bar rinse and repeat. Its kinda hard to show proof of that. I can send em pics if they want. tongue.png

What you can always do, since you own your own Condo, is to get a Yellow Tabian Book, then you won't have any problems proving you residence. I got one and it is handy as I don't have to go to my Embassy anymore for a proof of residencency form.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi.

I just want to confirm regarding the new rules posted in this thread.

I am currently on my 2nd entry of my Tourist Visa.

I would like to get a 30 day extension then fly outside Thailand for 6 weeks.

Question:

When I apply for a 30 day extension at Jomtien on September 2nd , do I need to bring:

1A onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation

4. One photo, passport sized

Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht.

Thanks.

TC.

Anybody who could answer this Dear members ? in my case, especially no.3 Hotel booking ?

From the OP it reads as if all extensions need this proof now. I am on a triple TV myself and stay with friends and therefore no booking for the full period of my 3rd entry to come.

so far I was under the impression "Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht." is enough.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are staying at a friend's place, give that address instead of a hotel when and if asked.

Just make sure your friend reports that you are staying there, as is supposed to happen when anyone stays at your home (here in Thailand)

Most tourists have a itinerary, sure! smile.png

or at least a list of locations they would like to visit.

What about a list of names and numbers ?

Or, for the elder, a list of chairs at the pool ?

Thailand Immigration just want you to look as a tourist. The more Western logic one puts into this, the more time one will waste.

• Like 1

2. ...

Does this first condition imply that holder of a 2 or 3-entries Tourist Visa may no more get extension on their first entries if they intend to make visaruns to activate their new entry or intend to visit an other country by land ?

so 3 back to back tourists = 180 days plus 60 non-visa = 240 days?

I think it may change the kind of visas people are asking for now that all g7 visitors can stay for 2 months without the need for a visa.........couple this with some tourist visas and the visa runners, who won't show up for another month.....looks like a busy time for immigration. i hope they are all well versed in ALL the new regs!

G7 citizens can stay for 30 days X 3 without a visa, not 2 months as you have stated, I am currently on my 3rd 30 days & will require to get an Non Imm 'O' visa in Laos at the end of july

Which border crossing do those rules apply to? Certainly not all.

I hope Thailand also creates an opportunity for visitors who want to stay longer which are not married with Thais

and also not have the age for the retirement visa and of course not want to work in Thailand.

A friend of mine is 36 years, has a nice apartment building in Europe with a monthly income of 150,000 baht.

He loves Thailand and would like to stay regularly in Thailand over winter from September to end of April (8 month).

Rest of the year he enjoy the summer in Europe.

He spends a lot of money, rent houses and cars for a long time.
So how he can stay legally in Thailand?
Actually, such long time tourists must be also interesting.
And there are many of these young heirs with money and lots of free time.

He buys a 5 year elite card and gains a 5 year PE visa good for 1 year per entry.

• Like 1

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

you evidently have not read the OP

I have read the OP. I'm saying that even though Thai immigration may now have the ability to give you a 30 day extension it doesn't necessarily mean that airlines are going to let you board their aircraft unless you have a visa that is valid for the length of your stay.

I flow in on May 2nd on a Jet Airways, India plane with only a one-way ticket, no visa & only 3,500 Baht in my pocket, I was never asked about onward travel plans or how I would support myself during my stay, that throws your statement out the window if you ask me....

2. ...

Does this first condition imply that holder of a 2 or 3-entries Tourist Visa may no more get extension on their first entries if they intend to make visaruns to activate their new entry or intend to visit an other country by land ?

If you are a tourist, then you properly know where you want to go, and preparing you flight for it.

Lets say you visit Thailand and use your 60 days on it. You can now stay 60 days in Thailand and enjoy the country. Then your are traveling further lets say Vietnam. Stay in this country and returning back to Thailand and you get new 60 days ( Now 120 days in total).

Okay you like Thailand and want to stay 30 days more. then you need to change flight or already prepared it. no problem to show you are leaving Thailand before the 30 days end smile.png

Cant see the problem except you want to abuse the TV, to stay her all time with extension, wish the immigration don't want

Edited by carstenp

You're still going to need to get a tourist visa if you want to stay (for example) 40 days as I can't see the airlines letting you fly without a valid visa.

you evidently have not read the OP

I have read the OP. I'm saying that even though Thai immigration may now have the ability to give you a 30 day extension it doesn't necessarily mean that airlines are going to let you board their aircraft unless you have a visa that is valid for the length of your stay.

I flow in on May 2nd on a Jet Airways, India plane with only a one-way ticket, no visa & only 3,500 Baht in my pocket, I was never asked about onward travel plans or how I would support myself during my stay, that throws your statement out the window if you ask me....

Some airlines enforce this rule strictly...others don't. Consider yourself lucky.

• Like 1

Cant see the problem except you want to abuse the TV, to stay her all time with extension, wish the immigration don't want

It's what I was thinking, that the 3x(60+30) could soon be something of the past.

It seems something rather popular among guys from country who still have these 3-entries (USA, UK,...).

Nota: Not personally concerned:

I am on retirement extension, and no 3-entries in my country wink.png