New police crack down on motorists in CM.

AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read they were targeting 90 dangerous intersections in Thailand, 3 are in CNX...and you just listed all three. I support them 100% on this. It's about time drivers start showing a little respect to pedestrians. I wish I had a photo of the thai guy, who had his thumb in his nose, while an ambulance was behind him with sirens blaring.

• Like 1

Can't see a m/c stopped after the white line is a danger to anyone, can you explain to me?

Also the Central Festival/superhighway lights, they were stopping drivers coming from the Doi Saket direction doing a u-ey to go into Central Festival Mall.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Maya/Nimanhamin/Superhighway intersection

I hope they make a million baht at this intersection. I am so sick and tired of waiting in line to make a right turn off Huay Kaew onto super highway while a steady stream of traffic turns right from the left lane. I don't know if they realize that the right lane is also a through lane, or if they don't care, but I've seen many near accidents there.

Can't see a m/c stopped after the white line is a danger to anyone, can you explain to me?

Also the Central Festival/superhighway lights, they were stopping drivers coming from the Doi Saket direction doing a u-ey to go into Central Festival Mall.

Some what slow on the draw to notice things..whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743540-traffic-crackdown-starts-today/

They really need to catch the red light runners,thats the

most dangerous offense and happens all the time on busy

junctions,

regards Worgeordie

Unfortunately, they aren't checking for that.

It's a policeman on foot with a camera, strolling around photographing stationary m/cs and cars.

If you're moving, he won't get you.

Not sure that a posted fine will reach many people.

The only record they have of my address was a guest house three yr ago that since became a restaurant.

as we know from the uk, covert cameras are an outrageous money spinner nothing else, hence they are now slowly being removed.

Let me correct myself....1) Airport Plaza Intersection. 2) Nimman/Maya 3) Saen Dek intersection by Central Festival Super Highway, ...the three in cnx of the 200 worst in Thailand. If cars or motorbikes are across the line it makes it difficult for pedestrians to cross the street.....

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tough-traffic-law-enforcement-thursday/

Edited by Thighlander

This still smacks of what the Taiwanese call a "Three-minute heat wave."

Pick a few places that are deemed "MOST DANGEROUS!" and set up clip joints there. (Wonder what committee decided which places are the most "dangerous"? Most profitable, most likely.)

Any poster living here could come up with a large list of "hot zones" and as others have pointed out, it's not so much the place as the offense. Thailand and SE Asia in general has little or no interest in enforcing moving violations, unless they happen to have stationary camera systems there to record something.

Although running red lights is right up there for me, the one that is most vexatious is tailgating, which would be hard to enforce, granted.

In the end, this is all an effort, "to be seen to be doing something."

Edited by Trujillo

the policeman on permently duty at huay kaew/maya traffic lights just pulled 6 motor cyclists,waiting at lights on nimman road,i wondered why,must have been over the white line thing????,made them come to his office on corner of super highway.digressing a bit but has any noticed how motorists are sticking to the rules in lots of places,and only parking on one side of the road.

• Like 1

I noticed a couple of days ago, I pulled up to the front of the lights on my wife's scooter, ahead of the white line, and noticed everyone else was behind the line staring at me.

Would be nice if the police acted on laws that actually matter, but I guess that's beyond their capabilities.

• Like 1

I noticed a couple of days ago, I pulled up to the front of the lights on my wife's scooter, ahead of the white line, and noticed everyone else was behind the line staring at me.

Would be nice if the police acted on laws that actually matter, but I guess that's beyond their capabilities.

So you were the one in the wrong then......but not an important law in your eyes then?

• Like 1

If they just had a bunch of motorcycle cops at the rincom intersection ready to chase down red light runners, and do this consistently for a few months. That would improve that area 1000 fold. Plus they would bring in a lot of revenue. But my hope is that they begin to at least photo there.

If they just had a bunch of motorcycle cops at the rincom intersection ready to chase down red light runners, and do this consistently for a few months. That would improve that area 1000 fold. Plus they would bring in a lot of revenue. But my hope is that they begin to at least photo there.

I know that for most Americans the collective noun for just about everything is 'a bunch', but I think you'll find that the correct word for police is a 'sounder'.

had the same thing this evening, first time ever in chiang mai. all locals pulled up behind the line, i did my usual thing of getting out of the way of trucks behind and going ahead of them, got stares. perhaps there's some communication gone around that i've missed.

I know that for most Americans the collective noun for just about everything is 'a bunch', but I think you'll find that the correct word for police is a 'sounder'.

bCUM7HC.jpg

I-See-What-You-Did-There-Fry1.jpg

But we cannot cherry-pick the ones that most concern us western-thinking drivers.

This seems to presuppose that there are good rules for non-Western-thinking drivers and an different set of driving rules for Western-thinking ones. The automobile machine is the same everywhere as is the system of roads, lights and signs.

Westerners might be more scrupulous on details of the laws and safety, but that doesn't mean there are different systems. Pretty much if a Westerner sees what he considers bad driving or unsafe practices, he's correct; it's not a matter of style or culture.