police checkpoints

zeichen

I have been gone for a few months and just got back last week. On Thursday I took my motorcycle out to do some shopping. I ran into 3 different police checks and was stopped each time. My bike is fairly new, I always wear my helmet, I have a license and am all legal so it isn't just a shake down but seems strange to get stopped so often. There is one checkpoint on my street everyday about 2PM and they have stopped me 3 times since last week. I show them my stuff and am on my way but find it strange that they keep targeting me.

Not really a big deal but seems strange after 12 years of living here this is the first time I have been pulled over and now it is happening often.

• Like 1

I live in Bangkok, so I can't really speak for Chiang Mai.  In the last week, there have been checkpoints and cops everywhere!  I drive my motorbike to and from work daily.  Once in a while I take the car.  Since this turn of events, I am seeing checkpoints in places they have never been before.  They seem to be stopping both two and four wheeled vehicles.  In the past, they targeted two wheels.  They went after those without a helmet or those driving in anything other than the far left lane.  Now, they are taking the next vehicle that comes by if the officer is free.  These cops know me after stopping me over the years.  They have stopped me in the last week, checked my license, and sent me on my way.  I didn't even turn off the engine or remove my helmet.  In fact, the license never left my hand.  It seems they are looking for some easy money.  Maybe they are hoping I will have forgotten my license one day or something.

I did read about a crackdown on 5 seemingly insignificant violations that was due to begin last Thursday.  One of these violations includes stopping in front of the white line at a red light.  Since then, even motorbikes seem to obey this small rule.  I don't really know what is going on down here in Bangkok.  I just follow the lead of the other drivers out there, especially the motorbike taxis.  If they aren't daring to stop even a foot beyond that white line, then I think I will stay on the safe side and stop before I cross it too.

I wonder if they are really serious this time about some sort of a nationwide crackdown.  If so, I would think we would have heard more about it.  I have not read anything of any significance that would indicate a major crackdown.  Nonetheless, drivers on the road here in Bangkok seem to know one is in full force.  I would really like to know where all of this is coming from.  On my 10 km ride today, I encountered 4 police checkpoints.  That is unheard of on my commute.  What's going on?

I live in Bangkok, so I can't really speak for Chiang Mai.  In the last week, there have been checkpoints and cops everywhere!  I drive my motorbike to and from work daily.  Once in a while I take the car.  Since this turn of events, I am seeing checkpoints in places they have never been before.  They seem to be stopping both two and four wheeled vehicles.  In the past, they targeted two wheels.  They went after those without a helmet or those driving in anything other than the far left lane.  Now, they are taking the next vehicle that comes by if the officer is free.  These cops know me after stopping me over the years.  They have stopped me in the last week, checked my license, and sent me on my way.  I didn't even turn off the engine or remove my helmet.  In fact, the license never left my hand.  It seems they are looking for some easy money.  Maybe they are hoping I will have forgotten my license one day or something.

I did read about a crackdown on 5 seemingly insignificant violations that was due to begin last Thursday.  One of these violations includes stopping in front of the white line at a red light.  Since then, even motorbikes seem to obey this small rule.  I don't really know what is going on down here in Bangkok.  I just follow the lead of the other drivers out there, especially the motorbike taxis.  If they aren't daring to stop even a foot beyond that white line, then I think I will stay on the safe side and stop before I cross it too.

I wonder if they are really serious this time about some sort of a nationwide crackdown.  If so, I would think we would have heard more about it.  I have not read anything of any significance that would indicate a major crackdown.  Nonetheless, drivers on the road here in Bangkok seem to know one is in full force.  I would really like to know where all of this is coming from.  On my 10 km ride today, I encountered 4 police checkpoints.  That is unheard of on my commute.  What's going on?

I doubt it will last for a long time. To do that they would have to hire more officers. I have no problem with them enforcing the law. The main problem as I see it in their efforts is lack of consistency.

Obviously different in Chaing Mai. Pre-coup, the police checkpoints were all over Pattaya every day. Once they recognize you, they no longer pull you over at a checkpoint. Since the coup, the checkpoints have almost vanished. The orders here are to bring happiness to everyone, and giving them tickets does not bring happiness. The police now spend their time making sure that traffic flows more freely, thereby insuring more happiness. I miss the checkpoints because I firmly believe, after 2 spills, in the helmet law. Now we are back to 50% not wearing one because no one is writing tickets. Change the look of your bike in a small way. Add LED lights to the side or something like that. Once they realize you are not riding a rental bike, they will leave you alone.

Like others have said, the police are just doing their job, just like in the states, and enforcing the laws as written.

edited was to way

Edited by stoli
  • Like 1

Here on Phuket Island I see much less check-point activity since the NCPO came along. I used to see them all about the island frequently. Now rarely.

Probably too busy stacking beach chairs on trucks at Bang Tao, Surin, Kamala, Patong ..... :)

There is a second new ploy... They are placing undercover cops at intersections with cameras and photographing cars and motorcycles that jump the lane and such... Fines range from 400-1,000 baht... Very cost effective and only one BIB need be out in the hot sun... Sadly they mail you a ticket (with your photo)... So there is no you pay now option...

I doubt it will last for a long time. To do that they would have to hire more officers. I have no problem with them enforcing the law. The main problem as I see it in their efforts is lack of consistency.

Lack of consistency???   you're joking of course.

The BIB are paragons of consistency!

For all the years that I've lived here they've been consistently on-the-take.

My theory is that more and more people are wearing their helmets, so they were getting less money. Now they stop even apparently legal people in the hopes of boosting their revenue. 

It's not about improving road safety, merely about gaining revenue. Police not in checkpoints never stop anybody without helmets  and so on. In fact they often don't wear them themselves.

Just a game, and in recent times they've changed the attack. 

Right;  so the best approach really is to waste their time.  Go slow. Pretend to not understand them for a while.  Then produce your passport. Then your KFC Happy Meal Card.  And then finally your license.

If you can be bothered. wink.png  But that should eventually turn them off stopping foreigners.

Yes, this is exactly what i did the last time i was stopped. He kept saying 'your book', and i kept replying 'what book?'. 'Your book'. 'What book?'

It was a ping pong game for quite some time. However he won the game becuase in the end i couldn't hold out any longer, i really thought i could outdo him on the language front.  It was at that time i discovered that i must have a copy of my blue book in my car. 

It's all a game, the whole thing. A charade in life. The law is there like so many laws in thailand. But law is not in the psyche of the average thai person, ease of life is, so laws that get in the way of this easy life (sabai saduak) are ignored… by everyone, state officials, police, citizens alike. 

But when the top police fancy some money, they can enforce the law.

And when the government of the day want to be seen to be doing something for their salaries, they order crackdowns. Such crackdowns inevitably peter out due to general lack of attention span in said average thai people.

As for us citizens, the trick if we get stopped is to be calm, accepting, and to surrender any feelings of impatience, injustice, outrage, etc etc. I like playing games, and i like to win, but it's this particular rule of the game that i struggle the hardest with. I'm not keen on anybody poking their nose into my life when i'm causing nobody any problems. However, i pull on every ounce of buddhist wisdom i have acquired to try and live with this. And i'm getting better! After all, we're still light years away from achieving the orwellian state nightmare that exists in my home nation, england. I often hear that the likes of germany and US are much worse than england too.

Just a game, just a game. We don't set the rules, but we do have the tools to still win the game...

Edited by femi fan
  • Like 1

My theory is that more and more people are wearing their helmets, so they were getting less money. Now they stop even apparently legal people in the hopes of boosting their revenue. 

It's not about improving road safety, merely about gaining revenue. Police not in checkpoints never stop anybody without helmets  and so on. In fact they often don't wear them themselves.

Right;  so the best approach really is to waste their time.  Go slow. Pretend to not understand them for a while.  Then produce your passport. Then your KFC Happy Meal Card.  And then finally your license.

If you can be bothered. wink.png  But that should eventually turn them off stopping foreigners.

Yes, this is exactly what i did the last time i was stopped. He kept saying 'your book', and i kept replying 'what book?'. 'Your book'. 'What book?'

It was a ping pong game for quite some time. However he won the game becuase in the end i couldn't hold out any longer, i really thought i could outdo him on the language front.  It was at that time i discovered that i must have a copy of my blue book in my car. 

It's all a game, the whole thing. A charade in life. The law is there like so many laws in thailand. But law is not in the psyche of the average thai person, ease of life is, so laws that get in the way of this easy life (sabai saduak) are ignored… by everyone, state officials, police, citizens alike. 

But when the top police fancy some money, they can enforce the law.

And when the government of the day want to be seen to be doing something for their salaries, they order crackdowns. Such crackdowns inevitably peter out due to general lack of attention span in said average thai people.

As for us citizens, the trick if we get stopped is to be calm, accepting, and to surrender any feelings of impatience, injustice, outrage, etc etc. I like playing games, and i like to win, but it's this particular rule of the game that i struggle the hardest with. I'm not keen on anybody poking their nose into my life when i'm causing nobody any problems. However, i pull on every ounce of buddhist wisdom i have acquired to try and live with this. And i'm getting better! After all, we're still light years away from achieving the orwellian state nightmare that exists in my home nation, england. I often hear that the likes of germany and US are much worse than england too.

Just a game, just a game. We don't set the rules, but we do have the tools to still win the game...

Just what backward country are you from that does not require you to carry your ownership papers and  insurance papers? Or doesn't get upset about no drivers license. Not that they make a big deal about it.sad.png

Or is that the reason you left the country? They expected you to respect their laws.

Times are changing. I hear Cambodia is a lot more easier on enforcing any laws they have for traffic. But with the 2015 joining of the nations you may have to go to Africa to find a country that is willing to let you live by your own laws or should I say lack of?clap2.gif

• Like 1

It was a ping pong game for quite some time. However he won the game becuase in the end i couldn't hold out any longer,...............

So knowing that he was asking for your registration, you pretended not to understand and just kept wasting time. You think it's some sort of game. LOL!

The joke is on you. He has all the time in the world. He has to be there for several hours. Do YOU like standing there wasting YOUR time? You certainly aren't wasting his time. He has to stay there. If he talks with 20 people for all that time or just you for all that time, it's all the same to him.

Do you suppose that the cop wasn't aware that you knew what he was asking for? Or do you think that Thai cops aren't aware that license and registration are required everywhere.  Frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't arrest you for 3rd Degree Felony Stupidity!

I can just imagine the results if you tried this on a British policeman or an American State Trooper. Better yet, an Italian Caribinari!

• Like 2

So knowing that he was asking for your registration, you pretended not to understand and just kept wasting time. You think it's some sort of game. LOL!

The joke is on you. He has all the time in the world. He has to be there for several hours. Do YOU like standing there wasting YOUR time? You certainly aren't wasting his time. He has to stay there. If he talks with 20 people for all that time or just you for all that time, it's all the same to him.

Do you suppose that the cop wasn't aware that you knew what he was asking for? Or do you think that Thai cops aren't aware that license and registration are required everywhere.  Frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't arrest you for 3rd Degree Felony Stupidity!

I can just imagine the results if you tried this on a British policeman or an American State Trooper. Better yet, an Italian Caribinari!

No. He was asking for my blue book. I assumed i was fully within the law, not knowing that i had to carry a copy of it in my car. However, i decided to do it the alan whicker way and pretend not to speak the local vernacular. Like i say, it's all a game, so is life. Just a game.

And no, i wasn't standing there, and nor was i wasting my time, after all the ping pong game only went on for about one minute. I was sitting down very comfortably in my air-conditioned car while this bobby was standing outside my car repeatedly saying 'your book' like a fish gathering food in the ocean. I decided to join him in his fishlike endeavours.

But on this occasion i lost, he won. Never mind, can't win all the time. My only 'crime' was unintentionally not having a copy of my blue book. Now i know this is the law my glove comparment sits nicely replete with said piece of paper. Nice to know i'm no longer an accidental criminal, and no longer able to harm the general public.

And i saved probably a couple of young uni students who really don't have the money to be lining the state's coffers. It's a game, and they's the rules mate.

Just what backward country are you from that does not require you to carry your ownership papers and  insurance papers? Or doesn't get upset about no drivers license. Not that they make a big deal about it.sad.png

Or is that the reason you left the country? They expected you to respect their laws.

Times are changing. I hear Cambodia is a lot more easier on enforcing any laws they have for traffic. But with the 2015 joining of the nations you may have to go to Africa to find a country that is willing to let you live by your own laws or should I say lack of?clap2.gif

England is my backward country. When i lived there no need to carry your driver's licence, or ownership papers. Not the law. Maybe it is now, but i don't know. All they did was ask you to show your papers and stuff at the police station within seven days. 

If the law is an ass some people still abide by it, while others choose not to. I've lived in thailand for more than two decades, mostly by my own laws, not the state's. I have to make exceptions, of course, but c'est la vie. How does it work? Easy, i respect thais and their nation, and i never intentionally cause any harm to them or anyone else. In fact i live much like they do, i love their irreverance for the law if it gets in their way of living an easy comfortable life.

It's interseting to me watching the western approach to law being implemented here, and how far it might go. Their culture is being severely tested by this. It's also interesting seeing the different kinds of replies to threads like this from the farang.

Just a game. Don't take it so seriously. Mai pen seriert, yeah man, mai pen rai, sabai sabai.

• Like 1

First,
Time wasting is an effective foreigner tactic, the more of his time you waste, the less fines he can collect. If you can keep him occupied 10 minutes, that's 4 lots of tea money he loses. Quite often when I play the, don't understand game, they lose patience and wave me on.

Second,
Refusing to obey a police officer, is only a 300bht fine, and they are only allowed to issue one fine at a time. So if he does you for wasting his time, that's 100bht saving from a no documents ticket. (fines for each offence are listed outside the fine collecting office). If he were to arrest you, how much bribe collecting time would he waste then?

Different game from US and Brit police, they have all the time in the world, aren't usually collecting bribes, and generally enjoy inflicting pain on the public. Thai police are just making money as quick as they can. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

No. He was asking for my blue book. .........

Wow!  Just when you think it can't get any worse...

England is my backward country. When i lived there no need to carry your driver's licence, or ownership papers. Not the law. Maybe it is now, but i don't know. All they did was ask you to show your papers and stuff at the police station within seven days. 

If the law is an ass some people still abide by it, while others choose not to. I've lived in thailand for more than two decades, mostly by my own laws, not the state's. I have to make exceptions, of course, but c'est la vie. How does it work? Easy, i respect thais and their nation, and i never intentionally cause any harm to them or anyone else. In fact i live much like they do, i love their irreverance for the law if it gets in their way of living an easy comfortable life.

It's interseting to me watching the western approach to law being implemented here, and how far it might go. Their culture is being severely tested by this. It's also interesting seeing the different kinds of replies to threads like this from the farang.

Just a game. Don't take it so seriously. Mai pen seriert, yeah man, mai pen rai, sabai sabai.

I really don't think it is western influence that is causing them to stiffen up their laws.

Sadly enough it is western influence that is causing them to leave family values to replace them with materialistic values.sad.png

I really don't think it is western influence that is causing them to stiffen up their laws.

Sadly enough it is western influence that is causing them to leave family values to replace them with materialistic values.sad.png

If for one, why not for the other?

The link is the media. The educated elixir of the nation calling for what they think represents development and civilisation. And many of them were educated in the likes of the US and UK and Australia. They are the ones who call for helmets and seatbelts and this and that to do with traffic. Then the politicians have to be seen to be doing something, and the police are quite happy to get some extra dosh. 

Clearly the materialistic values come via the media, as does all 'thinking'. Any great changes to a nation's thinking starts with its media content. 

Different game from US and Brit police, they have all the time in the world, aren't usually collecting bribes, and generally enjoy inflicting pain on the public. Thai police are just making money as quick as they can.

Ah yes, well mentioned. It does make it somewhat easier for me if a policeman here interferes with my life while i'm going about my normal business harming no-one, the fact that they are just playing a game. Back in britain they love to use their power and very often will indeed enjoy upsetting a citizen's equilibrium. Much more of a police state mentality then here.

And yes, it's a gravy train, so if i'm caught up in it then i do like to slow the thing down somewhat. I'm sure i must have allowed two or three helmetless souls the chance that day to avoid a fine they can ill afford. A minor point won in the overall game… citizens vs state officials

Edited by femi fan
  • Like 1

Different game from US and Brit police, they have all the time in the world, aren't usually collecting bribes, and generally enjoy inflicting pain on the public. Thai police are just making money as quick as they can.

Ah yes, well mentioned. It does make it somewhat easier for me if a policeman here interferes with my life while i'm going about my normal business harming no-one, the fact that they are just playing a game. Back in britain they love to use their power and very often will indeed enjoy upsetting a citizen's equilibrium. Much more of a police state mentality then here.

And yes, it's a gravy train, so if i'm caught up in it then i do like to slow the thing down somewhat. I'm sure i must have allowed two or three helmetless souls the chance that day to avoid a fine they can ill afford. A minor point won in the overall game… citizens vs state officials

Please leave me out of your vendetta.

It is a silly one.

• Like 1

Today I went out. I was waiting at an intersection for a long red light. I was at least 1-2 meters behind the white line. A posse of police were stopping cars/motorcycles on the other side. A few helmetless drivers raced past.  When the light turned green I even waited a few seconds and started to inch forward. A white truck ran the red light and I stopped so I wouldn't get hit. The police then signal me over and claim that I ran a red light, then I explained that the truck ran the red. They then tried to claim I was in front of the white line. They finally let me go but just a waste of time. After I went to the store for about 20 minutes, I returned home. In that time they crossed the street and were working the other side and then pulled me over again. They let me go quickly but still drives me nuts getting stopped so frequently when there are people without helmets, shoes etc. driving around.

• Like 1

Its strange how some people seem to get ¨targeted¨and others dont.  I dont want to tempt fate but Ive never been stopped in the 2 years of being here.  

I agree if there is a reason to stop someone for breaking a law, but random checkpoints are a bit of a joke here.  I agree with the previous post about all these ¨law breakers¨zooming by and nothing is done to apprehend them i.e No helmet, texting while driving etc

Its also a bit of a worry seeing all the locals riding their motorbikes at night with either faulty headlights, no tail/brake lights or modifications done to their bikes so the lights dont operate.  Id fully support checkpoints at night to catch these ignorant ars#holes  drivers and thereby make the roads a bit safer for those remaining.  Make the fine hurt them in the pocket too.... and if they dont pay within a week then their bike is impounded.  If not paid within a month then the bike is auctioned off with proceeds going to road safety campaigns or something beneficial to all road users.

Just a thought.....

• Like 1