Beginners bike for Bangkok driving.

Hi.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my honda click 125 to a new bike.

The bikes I have In mind is Kawasaki Z250 or Honda CB500F.

I'm new to those kind of bikes, however not new to driving in Bkk.

What do you guys think about using a CB500F for commuting in BKK?

Is it abit overpowered for a beginner?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

CB300F sounds interesting. Is it released yet?

Another factor is my length, I'm 1.85.

If the seat height is to low I might look like a giant riding a toy tongue.png

Its not only your length and seat height you have to factor in my opinion, i scoot across and around bkk daily since 10 years and on 3 different bikes at the moment, with the odd round trip of 250km,

Have a think about your daily use and what kind of traffic and roads you face daily, on the traffic jam from hell roads even the cbr250 you will often have to move out the way to let smaller bikes through and you get nowhere fast,

Some drivers will turn their wheel and reposition to let you through, others just sit playing with the phone and would never get the idea,

While out there i put lots of thought into which bike would cut it in all or most situations, the crf 250 came to mind but with the bar and mirror width taken in, still not sure how tight the steering lock is,would like to try one for 30 mins or so, might also be the answer to your 1.85 problem, do they make a crf300 or even bigger?

I admit to being guilty of annoying fellow posters here as a rider who uses the pedestrian ways when nothing else goes but i am careful not to annoy others,

Or maybe consider your next bike as an addition rather than an upgrade?

Edited by tingtongfarang

We'll all have differing views on your question! My opinion as a Bangkok commuter is that although the CB500 range would be considered lightweight bikes in any other environment - they are heavy when grinding through Bangkok traffic.

The new CB300 looks interesting - but as you are tall I'd suggest the Honda CRF250M. It has road tyres and wheels so it's good in the city (compared to the dual-sport CRF250L) and it's very light and slim - and it's also tall enough to see over most traffic. The D-Tracker 250 from Kawasaki is also a good bet - both bikes are similar in price and power.

The clutch on the 250 is also lighter than the CB500 - and your wrist will thank you for that after 45 minutes of non-stop lane splitting/clutch slipping.

The long travel 'off-road' suspension is also great for the city center roads (and pavements!) which often resemble an off-road track.

• Like 2

You're always in the wrong on a bike.

The PCX would be the choice here for me. Can't go wrong with the Click either although not as sure and steady as the PCX.

The thing about the bikes is no storage.

Edited by Pinot

The new Honda CB300 would probably suit you, similar power to the Kawasaki Z250 and cheaper, but just for the quality, style and design I'd still go for the Z250. You would probably have to join a waiting list for the new CB300 whereas you could pick up a Z250 tomorrow.

Go to a showroom and and sit on them. Kawasaki will let you take the Z250 for a short test ride.

I'd keep your Click scooter as a 2nd bike.

I think anything with wider bars than a PCX or CBR250 would get stuck more often.

The DTX250 or any dirtbike has bars too wide for heavy BKK traffic IMO.

A Z250 might be OK but don't sell your Click until you are happy riding a bigger bike in heavy traffic.

Edited by ttakata

Thanks for all replies.

I will definitely keep my click for daily commuting. If I go for a bigger bike, It will be more for the fun of it.

Riding more on weekends etc, some longer trips other that to work etc.

I have only 5 minute drive a long sathorn road to get to work :)

I have been looking at the CRF250 models, but I like the naked street models better. Z250, CB500, er6n etc.

A lot depends on your personality and riding style. Consider the CB500X rather than the F? Also it is more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike so sit on the Z250 and see if it feels comfortable. The Kawa is a bit more revy than a Honda equivalent but that revy nature will bring a smile to your face if your personality fits. It you simply want a bike and a reliable go anywhere for say getting out of town for photography or.. then get a 500X.

That being said there are lots of used ER6's around!

I had a Dtx250 and the narrow seat was torture for me but it never bothered my 3 friends that have KLX250s. I can say with good tires it can be ridden both in a dirtbike foot forward and a road race knee out style which made it 2 bikes in 1.

Sathorn is a wide road so most any bike would be OK there. Seems this is not a practical purchase so just get what you want to have fun with and enjoy.

Based on my testing the CBR250 has a better torquey engine for BKK but the suspension sucks. The Ninja250 has a better suspension but an engine for a racetrack. I don't know if the Z250 and Ninja250 have the same valve timing and fuel mapping. Maybe you should wait for the Yamaha R25 too.

Edited by ttakata

• 4 months later...

which bike would be better for bkk traffic and small trips outer ... CB300F or the CB500F?

would the 500 be too big for traffic?

would the 300 be under powered for anything out side of bangkok?

might add im a new rider.

thanks

I have the 500X...and have little issue splitting through traffic in BKK. Yes, when I have my panniers on it's a right porky bastard, but otherwise a judicious zig and zag around a few mirrors and there's few places it can't go that the average scooter can. Obviously those scrawny Raiders and Sonics can really poke through some tight spaces! It also helps that I am very visible sat way up in the air with the 500X...throw on the aftermarket LED lights that somehow end up right in the punter's mirrors when I flash the high beams and they generally make space for me.

In answer to your question as whether or not the 300 has enough power...possibly. As long as you realise that acceleration above 120 km/h is measured in minutes (I jest), it's going to be just fine. I spent years on the old carb'd CBR 150 touring the Kingdom. It was back when there were no legal new bikes supported by the manufacturer. It took me all over without fail. After upgrading twice I realised just how underpowered it was for long distance riding; but at the time..well they say ignorance is bliss and I was happy. Now-a-days my biggest issue if I had to use such a bike to tour with would be the constant droning of the single at higher RPMs. That would get real old real quick

• Like 1

I'm also on the 500, F version. I have no issue in the city, as Dave mentioned you can't squeeze everywhere (especially when wide vehicles like buses are involved) but it's nimble enough so you don't get stuck often.

Also I noticed the locals on the scooters would zig and zag and reverse and all that just to get past one more car.. I don't generally do that. As long as I'm in front enough that I know I will not have to wait another red light it's fine with me to be a couple of cars behind.

I'm a new rider as well and never rode the 300 but I feel the 500 offers a good balance. I suspect you'll want to upgrade the 300 fairly quickly. I'm already feeling sometimes it would be nice to have a few more horses in the stable..

I have the 500X...and have little issue splitting through traffic in BKK. Yes, when I have my panniers on it's a right porky bastard, but otherwise a judicious zig and zag around a few mirrors and there's few places it can't go that the average scooter can. Obviously those scrawny Raiders and Sonics can really poke through some tight spaces! It also helps that I am very visible sat way up in the air with the 500X...throw on the aftermarket LED lights that somehow end up right in the punter's mirrors when I flash the high beams and they generally make space for me.

In answer to your question as whether or not the 300 has enough power...possibly. As long as you realise that acceleration above 120 km/h is measured in minutes (I jest), it's going to be just fine. I spent years on the old carb'd CBR 150 touring the Kingdom. It was back when there were no legal new bikes supported by the manufacturer. It took me all over without fail. After upgrading twice I realised just how underpowered it was for long distance riding; but at the time..well they say ignorance is bliss and I was happy. Now-a-days my biggest issue if I had to use such a bike to tour with would be the constant droning of the single at higher RPMs. That would get real old real quick

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the cb300F but if the 500 isn't too porky might be a better buy ie not out grow it as quick
  • Like 2

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the cb300F but if the 500 isn't too porky might be a better buy ie not out grow it as quick

Just understand my situation is a bit unique. My panniers at least 225 mm (8 7/8") to the width of the rear of the bike. That means I have to be cautious cutting around cars. The Barkbusters take up a bunch of room around the handlebars, if I had to guess it would be about 150 mm (6"). This is a pretty big increase on the ~90 mm (3 1/2") that I think my hand wrapped around the handlebar takes up. Add in the fact that the added weight from all that is higher than it would be on the "R" or "F" model it could be intimidating to a person.

I actually believe, unless you want the sport feel the "R" will give plus the better fairing, for your usage you'd be best off getting the "F" model. The riding position is more comfortable and you'll have more leverage on the handlebars. The seat height also isn't bad; something that can give you problems on the "X" if you don't watch where you park and have to tip-toe push your way out of gravel or sand--not fun.

• Like 1

CB500X for 215,000 would be my suggestion, given that you're tall, want something more for fun weekend drives than daily commuting (although commuting on a naked 500 wouldn't be that tough), but don't have much (any?) experience on a bigger bike.

There's a good review here. Gotta love this quote ...

"... where the X comes into its own is as an all-day, ‘man’-sized, touring capable and truly versatile machine – yet one which remains about as daunting as a basketful of kittens"

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cb500x/2013/

cb500x also does the job nicely. its suspensions are better too.

i had cbr500r and it was the best bike for my bangkok commutes, going in/out of traffic faster than my cbr150r. also safer.

Edited by ll2

cb500x also does the job nicely. its suspensions are better too.

The increased travel is nice for the not so well paved area; but sometimes I think it wallows too much compared to other bikes. For instance; what would the "F" or "R" models be like carving the mountains compared to the "X"? More planted? Tell the rider more about what's going on?

I'm not saying it's a bad suspension (for the price point), but one always wonders don't they?