Has New Balance gone crap or are they fake?

I visited a major sport retailer (big fancy shop) at a large shopping complex looking for a pair of running shoes however I wasn’t convinced of their authenticity, I had same experience at another one of their branches several hundred miles away too.

I struggling to believe that they are fake but I have my doubts. I wont mention the store or shopping complex as until I confirm it would be unwise to point fingers.

Typically in a catalogue range of New Balance running shoes prices will vary from 40GBP to 120GBP yet this sport store seems to sell them all at 2850thb (excluding those on fire sale discount), that was first alarm bell. They look okay, boxed, labelled etc.. but another sign was the sole thing in each shoe (the thing you can remove) look like it had been cut by a blind child.

Ive asked a few people and all have said "dont be stupid, its so and so store, they dont sell fakes" and "if they're selling fake then there is no hope" etc..

So given this store is probably one of the biggest sports retailer, am I being paranoid?, I ask have New Balance collapsed the pricing differentials in their range and lowered the quality, or do they sell crap shoes to Asia markets or are they actually fake?

Thinking I'll order some Asics from the UK or wait till I get Brooks store in Penang..

Edited by matt111

It is a lottery. Every week at our running group there are stories about shoe purchases, shoes falling apart 300m or 3 months or...

My suspicion is raised if the model type/number is not in running mags or the company website.

I also noticed that they are now marketed in Asia as a trendy shoe and not a technical running shoe and have also wondered what was up.

The answer appears to be that they are a major manufacturer utilizing marketing and brand identity to sell as many shoes as they can. They are not selling running shoes, they are selling a brand experience.

New Balance is currently the "vouge" fake label in Thailand and has been for some time. If you are in a genuine sport shop you "should" be ok, but, as we all know TIT.

(i'm a trainerholic)

I know there are people knocking out 1,000baht NB running shoes which are fake but from a large sports retailer my doubts are doubting..

The model numbers on the non sale shoes do seem to correspond to stuff listed on the net.

I also noticed that they are now marketed in Asia as a trendy shoe and not a technical running shoe and have also wondered what was up.

Thats happening with them all, the Adidas shops for example dont stock any running shoes its all "trendy" stuff..

@VocalNeal: Do you recommend any retailer or brand in thailand where I can get a decent running shoe?

Edited by matt111