Renewing Non-immigrant Multiple Entry O-A visa in Thailand

Got my visa in Australia last September 27.

Flew in and out of Thailand a few times before December 20 and each time I arrived was given a stamp that expired 12 months after that date of entry.

On March 7 - just prior to my first 90 days up I filled in a TM 47 at Phitsanulok and was given till June 4.

I flew out of Thailand in late May.

Am returning on September 24 - by plane and was advised by Phitsanulok immigration back in March I should get another stamp for 90 days on arrival (because visa not yet expired).

Q - Can / should I then apply whilst I am in Thailand to renew for another 12 months my multiple entry Non-immigrant O-A visa

OR

Should I deal with it in Sydney prior to travelling?

Thanks in advance.

If you fly in before the must enter by date on the visa, you will get another 1 year permission to stay, not 90 days. The only difference is that if travel outside of Thailand after the must enter by date you will have to purchase a re-entry permit to keep you permission to stay alive. Cost: single 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht

Basically you get 2 years from your one year O-A visa.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

As long as do an entry prior to the enter before date on your visa sticker you will get another one year entry.

When you enter on in September you will get another one year entry. You can then go to immigration and get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) that will keep the one year entry valid up to the date it runs out it you leave and re-enter the country.

You do not need to get a new visa or apply for an extension here until next year.

You don't need to worry about your 90 day report that was due in June.

You next one will be do 90 days after your arrive if you stay here that long.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your prompt response.

I'm actually quite surprised to hear that I'll probably get a 12 month instead of a 3 month stamp - but it is up to the guy at the counter at immigration when I get off the plane.

What has transpired since is that I'm now told I require an operation here in Australia and am therefore considering a very short visit this trip.

Q - Will the immigration department be somewhat concerned that I will apply for a re-entry permit within days of arriving?

Q - Am thinking I will not have to show proof of funds (800,000 baht) for 3 consecutive months in order to receive a re-entry permit. Please confirm either way.

Thanks again.

Ian

Thanks guys for your prompt response.

I'm actually quite surprised to hear that I'll probably get a 12 month instead of a 3 month stamp - but it is up to the guy at the counter at immigration when I get off the plane.

What has transpired since is that I'm now told I require an operation here in Australia and am therefore considering a very short visit this trip.

Q - Will the immigration department be somewhat concerned that I will apply for a re-entry permit within days of arriving?

Q - Am thinking I will not have to show proof of funds (800,000 baht) for 3 consecutive months in order to receive a re-entry permit. Please confirm either way.

Thanks again.

Ian

So are you now planning to return to Thailand before 24th September? If so, you will (or should) be stamped in for another year from your actual return date. Immigration almost certainly won't raise their eyebrows if you apply for a re-entry permit within a matter of days afterwards, neither will they require you to show proof of funds then.

Um, as I noted recently in a different thread, I arrived on 18 July, with a Non-O (A) and multi-entry that was good until 28 July.

I was given 10 days at Suvarnabhumi. No 90 day stamp. No one year stamp. Not even the 30 days a Visa Exempt stamp would give you. Why she only gave me 10 days I'm not sure. I didn't realize it until I was at the luggage carousel so it was too late to go back and question it.

As I knew I was going to have to renew it any ways I didn't worry about it, but anyone else may want to check their stamp as soon as they get their passport back in case they get shorted on days as well.

Um, as I noted recently in a different thread, I arrived on 18 July, with a Non-O (A) and multi-entry that was good until 28 July.

I was given 10 days at Suvarnabhumi. No 90 day stamp. No one year stamp. Not even the 30 days a Visa Exempt stamp would give you. Why she only gave me 10 days I'm not sure. I didn't realize it until I was at the luggage carousel so it was too late to go back and question it.

As I knew I was going to have to renew it any ways I didn't worry about it, but anyone else may want to check their stamp as soon as they get their passport back in case they get shorted on days as well.

If you arrived on a re-entry permit that was only valid until July 28 th you got the correct stamp.

What date is the enter before date on your OA visa? If it is July 28th or later you should of gotten a one year entry and need to go to immigration to get the stamp fixed.

Hi all I'm in the same position in November....Thanks for the great response.....

Question::: what happens after year Two if you want to stay long term ??

Slainte.

Seems like, from a response earlier in thread, we can renew our visas in Thailand prior to the expiry date of the last 12 month date stamp in our passports.

Edited by yasmarbi

Hi all I'm in the same position in November....Thanks for the great response.....

Slainte.

Seems like, from a response earlier in thread, we can renew our visas in Thailand prior to the expiry date of the last 12 month date stamp in our passports.

You cannot renew your visas here that could only be done at an embassy or consulate in your home country.

You can apply for an extension of stay at immigration within the last 30 days of your current permit to stay. You would have to meet the financial requirements of 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Slainte.

Actually the correct terminology is "we can apply at our local immigration office for an annual extension of stay prior to the latest 'Admitted Until' date stamped in our passport within the lifetime of our OA visa" (the actual visa itself is non-renewable). Loads of info on here on how you go about doing this, but basically you trot along to your local immigration office within 30 days of the aforementioned 'Admitted Until' date expiring (or 45 days if you live within the catchment areas of the immigration offices at Chaengwattana (Bangkok) or Jomtien (Pattaya)) clutching (i) a completed TM7 application form, (ii) 1,900 THB for the fee, (iii) your passport (+ copies of the photo page, of all pages containing Thai Immigration stamps and of your latest departure card (TM6)), and (iv) the necessary financial proof which can take the form of (1) an ultra-recent letter from your Thai bank confirming that your account is in credit by at least 800,000 THB and has been continuously over the preceding 2 months in the case of a first-time annual extension (or 3 months in the case of subsequent annual extensions), or (2) a letter issued by your Embassy within the previous 6 months confirming that you are in receipt of pension, etc income derived in your home country equal to at least 65,000 THB a month, or (3) both such letters if relying on the "combination" method of proving finances (bank balance + monthly income to = at least 800,000 THB annually).

Edited by OJAS

Should also have mentioned that it would probably worth your while obtaining a re-entry permit from your local immigration office at the same time as your annual extension at a cost of 1,000 THB for a single-entry permit or 3,800 THB for a multi-entry one. This requires the completion of a TM8 application form, and will ensure that your extension remains valid should you travel back and forth between LOS and Australia during its lifetime.