Problem with extension based on retirement

Hi,

For the last 5 years I have used Multiple-O visa's , but this year I am unable to do so because I would have to go back to my homecountry for that, and that's not very convenient this time.

I qualify for the extension, have sufficient income, over 50 etc. but the problem is that our landlady refuses to formally acknowledge my staying in the house my wife and I rent from her. (the rental agreement is in my wife's name, who is Cambodian with an "opijoop" Thai ID card).

I went to immigration recently, and they gave me this form for the landlady to fill out, plus they need a copy of her ID card. She refused again, even when I told her we might have to move house - which would be a great inconvenience!

My question is: can I register in a hotel (for a month or so), and then get a written confirmation from that hotel that this is my (temporary) residence? Is this legal?

Are there any other ways around this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jasper

Not sure the hotel idea would work.

I think I would try the landlady again and try to get her to understand you will be moving unless she signs the form and give you a copy of her ID.

She may be worried about taxes or something which would not be a problem because immigration does not share info with the the tax office.

ive been on extensions for the last 6 years after a few years on non os and ive never been asked to furnish prove were i lived in thailand.??????

You may not but it is a MFA requirement.

Most immigration offices require them.

I would look for new place to stay asap.then tell the land lady to,well you know what I mean.Lot of house and condos avalible so can be done in a couple of days.

Edited by INV

I think I would try the landlady again and try to get her to understand you will be moving unless she signs the form and give you a copy of her ID.

She may be worried about taxes or something which would not be a problem because immigration does not share info with the the tax office.

I could be wrong but doesn't the land lady have to inform immigration if a farang resides at her property .?..........

As UbonJoe posted, it might be a tax concern for the landlady.

You might mention to her that if you can't get what you need, and have to move because of it, that you are thinking about contacting the Revenue Department.

• Like 1

Technically, you are staying with your GF who is renting from the landlady.

What about a copy of her Thai ID card, duly signed, confirming that you are staying with her at that address.

Then perhaps the gf should have. I mention this cos my wife got fined for not informing immigration I lived at "our" house for 7 years....sad.png

Plan B; take whatever you have including utility bills, rent agreement + GF and go to the immigration office and request a Certificate of Residency (say you are buying a motorcy, not that it matters).

Go back a few days later and use the Certificate of Residency as part of your extension application.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but doesn't the land lady have to inform immigration if a farang resides at her property .?..........

Correct but immigration seldom enforces it for home owners. They do for business such as hotels and etc.

You might mention to her that if you can't get what you need, and have to move because of it, that you are thinking about contacting the Revenue Department.

Or perhaps tell her that immigration will come looking for her unless she signs the form and will charge her a 2000 baht fine.

• Like 1

Or perhaps tell her that immigration will come looking for her unless she signs the form and will charge her a 2000 baht fine.

I like that..........thumbsup.gif

Plan B; take whatever you have including utility bills, rent agreement + GF and go to the immigration office and request a Certificate of Residency (say you are buying a motorcy, not that it matters).

Go back a few days later and use the Certificate of Residency as part of your extension application.

A certificate of residence is not acceptable as proof of address for a one year extension.

Is your wife on the Tabein Baan at the house you rent?

Immigration in Pattaya accepted a copy of the Tabien Baan plus a copy of my wife's ID card as proof of my address. Don't know if that's acceptable in all immigration offices. Somebody on here will say if it's not.

I've just found this on the Immigration Bureau website http://www.immigration.go.th/. It probably explains the landlady's reluctance to get involved:

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

• In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.

Edited to say:

Sorry, just looked at the O/P again and your wife's Cambodian so, I assume, wouldn't be registered on a Tabien Baan.

Edited by sumrit

A certificate of residence is not acceptable as proof of address for a one year extension.

Is your wife on the Tabein Baan at the house you rent?

Immigration in Pattaya accepted a copy of the Tabien Baan plus a copy of my wife's ID card as proof of my address. Don't know if that's acceptable in all immigration offices. Somebody on here will say if it's not.

I've just found this on the Immigration Bureau website http://www.immigration.go.th/. It probably explains the landlady's reluctance to get involved:

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

• In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.

Edited to say:

Sorry, just looked at the O/P again and your wife's Cambodian so, I assume, wouldn't be registered on a Tabien Baan.

You do realise just how stupid that statement looks.

A Certificate of residence - issued by an immigration office - is not accepted by that same immigration office as address verification.

Clowns!

cheesy.gif

To be really nasty indicate that though immigration does not give information to the tax department you could be a very honest person and have the receipts to prove it.

I quite agree but I had got a new residence certificate from Pattaya immigration to renew my five year driving licence about two months before I went back to the same office for my extension. The man before me, myself and the man after me all had residence certificates as proof of address and were all told they weren't acceptable. My wife was with me and she'd brought various copies of her documents just in case they were needed. With the tabien baan being for our house the immigration officer asked for a copy of that along with a copy of her ID card and said they were acceptable. My driving licence has my address on the reverse side but I never thought to ask if that would be an acceptable alternative.

Sent from my i-mobile i-note WIFI3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers!

My wife is registered on a tabian ban in our Town (we live in Trat), and lives in Thailand legally. She ofcourse has a rental agreement in her name, plus all the utility bills, including internet etc.

So... If I brought my wife, her tabian ban, marriage certificate, rental agreement, copies of her id card plus utility bills in my wife's name it might do the trick? I will also bring my super-cute 5-year old thailand-born son, if that helps!

Problem is that my wife REALLY does not want to move house (we have a very good deal), and I'm afraid that if I shake the tree (i.e. the landlady) too hard we might get thrown out by her.