Thai taekwondo star hoping to 'clear the air' with national coach

webfact

TAEKWONDO
Star hoping to 'clear the air' with national coach

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Troubled taekwondo exponent Rungrawee Khurasa is hoping to talk and "clear the air" with Korean coach Choi Young-seok, who she accused of striking her, as she wants to return to the national team.

The 40-year-old Choi was at the centre of a controversy involving the Taekwondo Association of Thailand after Rungrawee, nicknamed "Koi", accused Choi of severely punishing her following her first-round loss at the recent Korea Open.

She asked the long-serving coach, the man credited with the country's ascendance as a leading proponent of the Korean martial art, to apologise for the incident in which Choi was alleged to have hit her in the face and stomach.

However, Rungrawee failed to turn up at the taekwondo office at the weekend when officials conducted an inquiry into the incident, which quickly became a major talking point after media reports about it last week.

Choi, after returning from the tournament in his native country later than scheduled, made it clear on Monday that the door was not closed for Rungrawee - who he still regards as one of his disciples - to return to the national team if she wishes.

Rungrawee, who won a bronze medal in the recent Asian Championships, never went public on the issue after being interviewed on television for a news programme.

Contacted by the phone yesterday, she clearly stated she wanted to mend fences with Choi, who has coached the Thai team for more than a decade.

Having been with the national team for only three months, Rungrawee also said if things turned out well after the talk, she would be willing to take part in the selection trial for the Asian Games in South Korea later this year. "Of course, I want to return to the national team and I'm ready to clear everything for better understanding with coach Choi.

"I don't want to say much at this stage. I would like to talk with the coach first. If everything pans out well, I'm ready for the trial for the Asian Games in September."

Pricha Tortrakul, Taekwondo Association vice president, welcomed the athlete's move, saying he hoped it could lead to a "happy ending" for both parties.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Star-hoping-to-clear-the-air-with-national-coach-30239202.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-23

As I understand it was reported that she was late for the preparation for her contest. The excuse was that a member of the management team was supposed to call her, and did not. After having spent years preparing for this (and other contests) one would have thought that the athlete would have had enough self awareness and discipline to manage her own time and preparation. Evidently not, perhaps a personal display of Thainess? As it was she underperformed, failing both herslf, her team and her coach. She might have lost anyway, but underperforming due to personal tardiness is no excuse. That the coach physically punished her is of no consequence, in martial arts the teacher is the master, discipline is paramount. To fail through lack of focus at this level is personal and deserves some retribution. Then for the student to whine after being punished, unforgiveable, and shows complete lack of respect for the team, coach, country and no responsibility for her own bad attitude. To all those PC Richard Heads who complain about this, have they ever served as a student of serious martial arts, where the Master is to obeyed , without question, at all times. Where the object is to build inner strength, humility, self confidence, self discipline and a martial skill? I think not. If this girl is to be allowed to continue she needs to seriously analyse herself and rededicate herself to the skill, to suppress her ego and re-earn a place on the team, she has forfeited the right to an automatic inclusion, by her actions . If she fails , after having proved previously that she has the ability then it will be entirely down to her own lack of dedication.

• Like 1

....part of the problem, surely, is constantly referring to that individual as a 'star'.....

...I would say the coach is a star..for what he has done with the Thai team these past 10 years.....

Edited by SOTIRIOS

As I understand it was reported that she was late for the preparation for her contest. The excuse was that a member of the management team was supposed to call her, and did not. After having spent years preparing for this (and other contests) one would have thought that the athlete would have had enough self awareness and discipline to manage her own time and preparation. Evidently not, perhaps a personal display of Thainess? As it was she underperformed, failing both herslf, her team and her coach. She might have lost anyway, but underperforming due to personal tardiness is no excuse. That the coach physically punished her is of no consequence, in martial arts the teacher is the master, discipline is paramount. To fail through lack of focus at this level is personal and deserves some retribution. Then for the student to whine after being punished, unforgiveable, and shows complete lack of respect for the team, coach, country and no responsibility for her own bad attitude. To all those PC Richard Heads who complain about this, have they ever served as a student of serious martial arts, where the Master is to obeyed , without question, at all times. Where the object is to build inner strength, humility, self confidence, self discipline and a martial skill? I think not. If this girl is to be allowed to continue she needs to seriously analyse herself and rededicate herself to the skill, to suppress her ego and re-earn a place on the team, she has forfeited the right to an automatic inclusion, by her actions . If she fails , after having proved previously that she has the ability then it will be entirely down to her own lack of dedication.

Basically you are saying that physical abuse is ok!

Well, of course that is NOT ok. No matter what the problem was in whatever situation, physical abuse is NOT ok! Never!

Most likely you find it ok as well if a teacher hits his students.

I hope you don't have or never will get any children of your own!

• Like 2

Guess you have never studied and practiced any martial arts then?

It's not like the bad guy instructors in the Hollywood films.

I practiced Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and Malaysian martial arts, starting in the early 1970's. I have trained regularly with some very senior masters including Ip Chung, Terry O'Neil, Steve Morris, Derek Frearson, Dave Hazzard, Ki Ha Rhee, Ron Sergiew, and many more. Not once did I see any master or visiting master behave in the way you suggest is appropriate.

Of course you need to train hard, regularly , with discipline and effort to progress. But hitting students - not acceptable and not something a real martial arts master would resort too.

If you trained under someone like this, and accepted it, then sorry to say you are a Richard Head who learnt from one.

Edited by Baerboxer

I practiced Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and Malaysian martial arts, starting in the early 1970's. I have trained regularly with some very senior masters including Ip Chung, Terry O'Neil, Steve Morris, Derek Frearson, Dave Hazzard, Ki Ha Rhee, Ron Sergiew, and many more. Not once did I see any master or visiting master behave in the way you suggest is appropriate.

Of course you need to train hard, regularly , with discipline and effort to progress. But hitting students - not acceptable and not something a real martial arts master would resort too.

If you trained under someone like this, and accepted it, then sorry to say you are a Richard Head who learnt from one.

now we all know why you prattle on. Too many blows to the head. oh and Chuck Norris lives in Wichien Buri.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" That the coach physically punished her is of no consequence,"

Outrageous.

"enough self awareness and discipline"

Perhaps the coach should take your advice.

"...have they ever served as a student of serious martial arts, where the Master is to obeyed , without question, at all times."

Ever work for a chef?

My point being, one does not punish someone (a 23 woman?) with bodily assault.

It's a safe bet you might think differently if it was your daughter...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" That the coach physically punished her is of no consequence,"

Outrageous.

"enough self awareness and discipline"

Perhaps the coach should take your advice.

"...have they ever served as a student of serious martial arts, where the Master is to obeyed , without question, at all times."

Ever work for a chef?

My point being, one does not punish someone (a 23 woman?) with bodily assault.

It's a safe bet you might think differently if it was your daughter...

My point being that 'she' is/was supposed to be a disciplined 'warrior', not a mamby pamby 23 year old girly playing hopscotch. As to bodily assault, she looks ok to me, ego dented perhaps, no respect for Thainess perhaps. If it was my daughter I would be disgusted at her whining for being punished, she is supposed to be a fighter, not a pretty. I suspect that those military warriors who train for special services whine and complain when they are punished for not giving 110% effort.No I have not worked for a chef, but from what little I have seen on TV some are despicable bullies with huge egos whose only claim to fame is that they can cook exotic, overpriced food

• Like 1

Dear Mr Baerboxer,

You assume wrongly.

You have studied under an impressive number of renowned teachers, I looked them up. The only one that interested me was Steve Morris, in his later practices (MMA), this is mainly due to my physique, I'm not built for kicking and leaping. You seem to have had a paunchant for extremely aggressive forms of fighting. Having been involved in serious body contact sport, from the age of 11, rugby union, with a little boxing and brawling thrown in, and later the British version of NFL, I stumbled across ju-jitsu when I was 40. My whole sporting life was to dominate physically and mentally, I trained my body , in the gym and on the field to achieve this. I was very strong and aggressive. On finding ju-jitsu I discovered a whole new world, a life changer. It took me 10 years to get my first dan, I then realised that I knew nothing. During that time I also practised Tomiki Aikido,Judo and Aikikai Aikido. I have finally settled on Aikido as my preferred method of approaching life, complete harmonization with ones opponent, using their energy to defeat them. When I was developing in martial arts I had an attitude problem, from my many years of violent sport, whilst my teachers did not actually hit me, they did throw me about like a rag doll. This taught me a high level of self discipline, obedience and humility. I prescribed to the Samurai attitude of absolute obedience to my master. If I erred, I expected a punishment from my fellow students and teachers, I got battered as the Uke for the night. If you want to be a warrior, then act like a warrior and accept the results of your misdemeanours. Do not go running home to mummy.

Basically you are saying that physical abuse is ok!

Well, of course that is NOT ok. No matter what the problem was in whatever situation, physical abuse is NOT ok! Never!

Most likely you find it ok as well if a teacher hits his students.

I hope you don't have or never will get any children of your own!

There's a lot of older guys on this forum who revel at young students getting spanked raw. Weird sort they are!

He's the coach, you're the pupil. You're the accuser, he's the defendant. A national coach for 10 years versus a 3-month team member. Now you're calling the shots and asking to speak in private? What a spoiled brat.

Lucky he has the dignity to say the door was never closed. She is the one who needs to ask him for forgiveness for dragging him through the mud in public. What a stupid fool.