Buying a cheap second hand car in thailand

Hi all,

Where is the best place to buy a cheap second hand car? I've looked at the classifieds and a few websites however cannot really find anything under 200,000 that isn't a complete shed, I actually have a new Suzuki but I am looking for something as a project car to do up in my Spair time, I know cars are expensive in Thailand but surely there must be some cheap cars being sold? Or is it a case of going to auctions or trying to find a car not on the internet? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Auctions aren't a bad option, but often only open to Thais....... and they are pretty good at snapping up the obvious bargains.

The selection is more likely to be newer cars where the financing has slipped or have been used as a working car for a year or two.

A website I discovered only a couple of days ago is Baht & Sold. www.bahtsold.com

It has plenty of vehicles in all price ranges, and you can select an area of interest. And it's all in English.

I noticed the OP mentioned "a project car to do up" ... does that constitute working? Esp if the car is then sold at a profit. I'm wondering, because I've been thinking of doing something similar.

Auctions aren't a bad option, but often only open to Thais....... and they are pretty good at snapping up the obvious bargains.

The selectipon is more likely to be newer cars where the financing has slipped or have been used as a working car for a year or two.

Auctions in Pattaya frequented mostly by Foreigners. Not sure I understand how particular cars or any object can be "snapped" up by anybody at an auction....the person who bids the highest..... gets it..

If you purchase a cheap car in Thailand...you are about 2 weeks away from needing a mechanic...

You get what you pay for...there are very few good inexpensive cars floating around for sale...

If you purchase a cheap car in Thailand...you are about 2 weeks away from needing a mechanic...

You get what you pay for...there are very few good inexpensive cars floating around for sale...

Project car...something needing a mechanic is exactly what hes looking for.

I see what appears to be decent cars for less then 200k all the time... I peruse the classifies almost everyday... Not sure what you are looking for but I have a 1994 Audi a100 2.3E automatic that I have been thinking about selling.. top notch car with a galvanized steel body and inline 5... Just had it all fixed up with all the fluids replaced and all eletrical stuff repaired.. Rides nice and solid... PM me if you are interested...

I bought a Toyota Corona LPG about twenty five years old, for 150.000 Baht about five years ago, it has been very reliable, and has never needed any repairs.

If you are looking for a cheap car to buy......I have a 1977 Toyota KE 35 SR for sale.......I bought her 2 years ago as a project car.......She is now 90% complete.......The reason for sale, because my back injury........I had a bad accident, a few years ago.......I even had an operation, 2 years ago........I used to have Ford Capris, all models and used to return them like new, as a hobby........After the accident and moving to Thailand, I tried to return to my hobby, but, unsuccessful.......So, my car just sits on the driveway.......I start her every morning and she runs, like a dream........

So, if you are interested, DELETED

Price, 90,000 baht...........

Edited by seedy
personal details

.....I saw an old Peugeot selling for 25,000 baht near my daughters' school....

Do you know the location on this?

I see what appears to be decent cars for less then 200k all the time... I peruse the classifies almost everyday... Not sure what you are looking for but I have a 1994 Audi a100 2.3E automatic that I have been thinking about selling.. top notch car with a galvanized steel body and inline 5... Just had it all fixed up with all the fluids replaced and all eletrical stuff repaired.. Rides nice and solid... PM me if you are interested...

Please could you send me some info and pictures? thanks

Looks good however no english version and dont appear to show prices?

.....I saw an old Peugeot selling for 25,000 baht near my daughters' school....

Do you know the location on this?

Please could you send me some info and pictures? thanks

Looks good however no english version and dont appear to show prices?

How can you not see the price - look top right corner of every ad - B180,000 etc

ah yes, sorry... some have prices some dont, hey its a shame these sites are not in english versions too, cheers

Well considering 99% of people on the sites don't use English as first language not surprising... Anyway get your Mrs / friend etc to call and ask questions you have in Thai***

***Note: be prepared for a frustrating experience if your Mrs / Friend is not a car person. A good test for this is get her to check out AOP's posts on here and if she can understand them, she is qualified to call the advertiser and ask how many KM's on it and so on....

Don't discount the local ads, especially the ones where the owner xpat is leaving Thailand. I lucked out a year ago and bought a 1990 Nissn Sunny for 23,000 baht that the gentleman already invested over 200,000 baht into. It runs like a champ and it's basically a bare bones car with automatic transmission and AC. Usual things happen to it of course, and I'm continueing to have things repaired so it will last longer.

FYI

All cars sold in the Tent type second hand cars sales areas have a 1 year warranty, and if problems arise will be fixed free.

For second hand cars bought by private sales there is no warranty. Buy as is.

Sorry to disagree about the 1 year warranty for tents. Some might perhaps. Not all 100% for sure.

I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer 1,500cc, only 107,000km, white color, auto, in ok running condition for sale only 69,000. Car is in Bangkok. Contact for more details DELETED

Edited by seedy
personal details

Nice deals all around...but...better to shop with a Thai expert. No laws about tampering odometer, or frame damage disclose after an accident, or flood, and Thais are masters in car and bike restoration. Personally I will not buy any European car, only Japanese. Just for curiosity I looked on the recomended web sites and I saw some interesting buys, like a Nissan Frontier double cab, Nissan Sunny, Nissan Safira.....I said that I like Nissan?

Edited by umbanda

Nice deals all around...but...better to shop with a Thai expert. No laws about tampering odometer, or frame damage disclose after an accident, or flood, and Thais are masters in car and bike restoration. Personally I will not buy any European car, only Japanese. Just for curiosity I looked on the recomended web sites and I saw some interesting buys, like a Nissan Frontier double cab, Nissan Sunny, Nissan Safira.....I said that I like Nissan?

Wanna buy mine ;)

There are many Auctions in and around Bangkok. You have just as much chance as anyone else to buy at the right price. They have cars from 10k up. They have a full range .If you seriously want to go look, I go most weeks .Send me an email.

The most important thing if buying from a private individual or a car showroom. is to take the seller with the blue book to the transport dept to put the vehicle in your name. Do not pay one Baht, until this is done. Not one single Baht, if they don’t like it walk away.

Good luck