Buying Local Shares As A Foreigner

If I want to purchase a few shares in any Thai Public Company Limited (PCL);

1. Can my local Bangkok Bank branch fix this purchase?

2. Can a foreigner own shares in a Thai PCL?

3. What documents do I need?

4. How much is the tax?

5. [Option]: Can I trade may shares online?

Hey George, here's a site to some type of online trading company in Thailand but based out of Singapore. They have some walkin offices in some shopping malls around BKK. I just happened to walk past the office in Future Park Rangsit and asked a few questions. I really don't know much about this firm. On of the people at the office said they have English speakers who will contact you if you like. They did say that foreigners can only purchase non-voting shares.

Maybe some other poster here has done business with the firm.

POEMS (Phillip's On-line Electronic Mart System) - INVEST LIKE A PRO

http://www.poems.in.th/

hello george

my wife has an account with asia plus securities,(web site www.asiaplus.co.th)they have offices all over thailand,they even have a office in my local bangkok bank building in chaingrai.

i think some plc have a foreign board were foreingners can buy shares but not sure how it works.

asia plus take a commission on each buy and sell transaction(not much) .

not sure if you can deal on line if you have an account you can trade on the phone.

Hi George,

I'm no expert but as far as I know, any foreigner living here can own shares of a company trading on the SET. Yes, you would have to open an account with one of the trading firms. You need to show your passport and possibly W/P or type of visa you're on. You get taxed on trades just like anyone else. There are a few firms offering their services,.. dbsvitrade.com is one I know of, many more around town. After opening an account, trading online shouldn't be a problem.

I believe you would need some sort of account. How would you recieve dividends on owned shares if you do not have one? Through the telephone (broker) or internet is the usual way of making a transaction as far as i know. Over the counter is more common when applying for IPO's.

Quite a few listed companies with websites has an investor relations link...

I'm just learning the ropes about trading, I'm sure you'll get more proffesional/ accurate responses from the other knowledgeble TV members.

If I want to purchase a few shares in any Thai Public Company Limited (PCL);

1. Can my local Bangkok Bank branch fix this purchase?

2. Can a foreigner own shares in a Thai PCL?

3. What documents do I need?

4. How much is the tax?

5. [Option]: Can I trade may shares online?

This may provide a starting point for your research. I do not know anything about any of the brokerages listed. As with all other things here in Thailand, I'm sure there are many bad ones and some good ones.

http://www.settrade.com/S09_MemberPage.jsp?txtBrokerId=IPO

Here's a handy SET related link I keep:

http://www.geoinvestor.com/countries/thailand/financial.htm

HI!

What those "over the counter" means to you?

If a company public, and like that trade on the SET, then you need an account and a broker, to do the trade. matter of fact, you can do on the net for yourself. all you pay is commission, which is 0.21%+VAT, per way.

For dividend you pay tax automatic, 10% now.

If you like to have an account is also fine, but then you have to either buy 'foreigner' shares, what arent really likvid as they are, or follow the ownership percentage in companies, if they have available shares for foreigners still. foreign limit different for some companies, can check on the net.

Bangkok Bank wont do this, but their brokerage, Bualuang Securities could...and so all the other brokers.