What exactly do the landlords pay per unit of electricity in Pattaya?

infinity11

They pay 2-3-4-or 5 a unit?

Does it depend on the building and location?

At 7-8-9-even 10 baht a unit, i think there is a very high mark up for the tenants.

Especially if you run the air which they don't like to have serviced often enough or properly.

I would like to know how much profit they are making every month off of us.

This is completely unheard of where i come from and is still a shock.

But next time i will find another way.

Rant over.

• Like 1

- Price of kWh depends of your consumption, from a little less than 4 Baht if you use only 100 kWh but nearly 5 Baht if you use 1'000 kWh.

- In most long term rents, you pay the electricity monthly at 7/11 at the Electricity Company price smile.png

Yes you are right about that.

2 years ago I stayed in an apartment for 7K a Month, I thought I was doing well until the electricity bill shock came. 4,000 baht for electric, never ever, anywhere for 20 years did I ever pay that much. Needless to say, I checked out and never went back.

• Like 1

4,09 Baht per unit, all taxes included, from Pattaya electricity office.

There is a minimum amount of about 40 Baht per month.

Your usage must be modest for 4.09 Baht/unit. The charges are on a stepped (incrementing) cost basis, the fewer units per month used the lower the amount per unit inclusive is. In my case above it was on 767 kWh. Appears yours is around 150 kWh/month. This is based on standard residential, direct from electric company billing.

For those interested, here is the MEA online energy bill calculator - Calculator

• Like 1

Your usage must be modest for 4.09 Baht/unit. The charges are on a stepped (incrementing) cost basis, the fewer units per month used the lower the amount per unit inclusive is. In my case above it was on 767 kWh. Appears yours is around 150 kWh/month. This is based on standard residential, direct from electric company billing.

For those interested, here is the MEA online energy bill calculator - Calculator

This is a very helpful information, that the charges per unit are increasing by higher usage!

I'm living in connected studios with three electric meters. I always intended to ask the electric company to simplify things and connect me to one meter only.

But this wouldn't make sense according to your information. Thx!

Yes, you are right. I'm having about 180 units/month/meter.

• Like 1

This is a very helpful information, that the charges per unit are increasing by higher usage!

I'm living in connected studios with three electric meters. I always intended to ask the electric company to simplify things and connect me to one meter only.

You may find the condo is being charged the commercial rate which does not include a stepped tarriff and is just the high rate Tywaiss gave so allowing a 10% or so charge on top to cover billing and payment for the wires etc that bring the electricity to your room and rent for the extra meter it probably is not unfair to charge 7 baht.

• Like 1

Many places build in a maintenance and common areas electric cost in the electricity price they charge then advertise lower rents. They would have to charge higher rent if they could not cover the exta costs of providing lighted walk ways and do repairs.

Just checked my bill, this month with Fuel adjustment and VAT 1 KW is 4.75 baht.

the total electrical usage was 1143 Kw, total bill 5,497 baht

Ajacent house, 441 kw usage = 4.55 baht, but proportanly lower VAT and Fuel adjustment charges.Total bill 1,982

Compaired to 2 years ago almost 38% increase in electric cost. and when VAT goes up!

You also have to remember that the Owner must maintaine the power lines from the main meter to your house, plus if they own the transformer it cost them 400 baht a KVA deposit for the transformer.

Plus transformers have increased in Cost by over 50% in the last 18 months,

Copper hit a new high as did aluminum, oil is up, so insulation (on the wire) cost more.

Cable prices have also almost doubled in the last 2 years.

You figure it out, 5 baht is cheap now! plus now I have to go and pay the bill, no way to pay on line.

• Like 1

It is just a different system than where you come from - - enough landlords and condos here mark up electric rates that it is not an unusual practice and this is for Thai and Thai too...

I have friends here w/pretty decent housing for under $200 a month - - can they do that where you are from? They have never complained abt electric bills but even in your framework, if they got "cheated" out of $30 a month on an electric bill, wouldn't it still be quite a bargain?

It is a different culture here and there are differing valuations of acceptable behavior. Things are done differently. Did you come here expecting everything to be the same as "at home"?

I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.

You figure it out, 5 baht is cheap now! plus now I have to go and pay the bill, no way to pay on line.

Looking at some of the bills I have laying around from the last year, the more I use, the higher the rate. I'm now in a house on the Darkside, but despite the larger home (and more electrical appliances, my electricity costs are considerably cheaper than when I was living in South Pattaya.

For the month I used only 183Kw, the price/Kw (including taxes) worked out to 3.94/Kw.

For the month I used 357Kw, the total averaged out to 4.25/Kw.

For the month I used 631Kw, the total averaged out to 4.47/Kw.

(I notice that the one tax went up slightly, from .54% last year to .59% this year.)

However, when I used to live in an apartment in South Pattaya I was routinely charged 7+ baht per Kw. Apparently my landlady, who ran a laundry on the bottom floor, was using me to offset her electricity costs. She was no doubt charging the other tenants a higher fee as well so that she (and her family living in the building) didn't have to pay any part of the bill herself.

The most annoying part was that even though they'd collect the money as soon as they got the bill, they wouldn't actually pay the bill until the very last day before the power would be cut off. If it happened that the last day fell on a weekend/holiday, we'd often end up with our power being cut for 2-3 days until they finally paid the bill and got reconnected.

Been on the Darkside for 5 years now. When I moved houses last year, it ended up taking 3 trips to the electricity office before I finally had the bills from the old house stopped and the bills for the new house in my name and automatically deducted from my bank. Much simpler that way and less chance of having the power cut-off for some dumb reason (like the bill getting soaked in the mailbox by the monsoon rains or friends "forgetting" to pay the bill like they'd agreed to while you were away.) dry.png

• Like 2

(I notice that the one tax went up slightly, from .54% last year to .59% this year.)

The FT (Fuel Tax) went up to .69 Baht/unit exactly 3 months ago.

It is just a different system than where you come from - - enough landlords and condos here mark up electric rates that it is not an unusual practice and this is for Thai and Thai too...

I have friends here w/pretty decent housing for under $200 a month - - can they do that where you are from? They have never complained abt electric bills but even in your framework, if they got "cheated" out of $30 a month on an electric bill, wouldn't it still be quite a bargain?

It is a different culture here and there are differing valuations of acceptable behavior. Things are done differently. Did you come here expecting everything to be the same as "at home"?

I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.

200 uds a month for rent?

yes 5 - 6 k baht is not unheard of

but location and quality of the building?

i am close but with the electric it is closer to 300 plus, not bad but very small room and lousy service

you are right i shouldn't complain BUT the landlords often do not want to maintain and upkeep

now my <deleted> landlord wants me to pay to service the air con unit myself which is NOT my property

i already pay 2000-3000 a month for electric, and with heavy use these units need to be serviced every 3 months

the unit is OLD, how much is a new unit 5-8 k baht, like that is going to happen

i wonder what his profit margin is per month, if he was loosing money that would be another story

i could go on and on but that IS the price of living here

rant over

• Like 1

mini rant cont from post 22...

for 300 USD a month:

what is the quality of the building?

what are the other tenants like?

how is the service and staff in the building?

how is the safety and security?

i think you have to pay 10k baht and more per month and even then i would say iffy

sorry to say and from personal experience the customer is NOT king, just a pawn

mini rant over (for now)

Often in western countries electricity charges are calculated in advance and become part of the outgoings charges for unit holders. Here I have learned from one hotel owner the electricity charges for pools, gyms, security etc are paid for by a higher monthly charge per unit. So you can cut aircons and such but your unit cost will be higher than say a private home.

If your renting, the landlord can charge you "ANY" amount per unit of electricity they want if you are on a lease or any other agreement.

If the meter is supplying only your apartment/house and was supplied by and is read directly by the PEA/MEA meter reader then you only pay what is on that bill. The landlord cannot take that bill and add to it and give it to you.

If, however the landlord has a single meter (provided and read by PEA/MEA) supplying several units and then has his own meters for individual apartments/houses then he can resell the electricity to you at an increased price.

Wife has several rental properties on a single PEA meter and charges each renter 5 baht/ unit based on each units own meter reading. (Actual PEA cost total bill divided by units is usually around 4.5-4.7 baht so do not think 5baht is extortionate.)

You may find the condo is being charged the commercial rate which does not include a stepped tarriff and is just the high rate Tywaiss gave so allowing a 10% or so charge on top to cover billing and payment for the wires etc that bring the electricity to your room and rent for the extra meter it probably is not unfair to charge 7 baht.

Sure, and when you use the water in the bathroom you should pay extra for the pipes and fixtures required to get the water to your room. Seems perfectly fair.

what is the Electricity Company price ? 4-5 baht per unit?

My last 3 bills since the FT increase (Fuel tax .69 Baht/unit) averages 4.7 Baht/unit all inclusive (Base + FT + VAT).

My last few bills of around 750 KWh usage worked out the same, including VAT, at 4.71 baht/unit.