Favourite Bars/Pubs - Not Go Go

travla

I think Bully's just past soi 4 is worth a mention.

Absurdly overpriced, IMO. I'd love to support the American owner but the prices are out of bounds. In addition, I detest pubs that advertise a price...and then you find out it's not inclusive of 10% service charge and 7% VAT. That's crap and I frequent places that engage in that business practice just once. After that, never again.

• Like 2

Absurdly overpriced, IMO. I'd love to support the American owner but the prices are out of bounds. In addition, I detest pubs that advertise a price...and then you find out it's not inclusive of 10% service charge and 7% VAT. That's crap and I frequent places that engage in that business practice just once. After that, never again.

Everything is relative and subjective.

I personally don't mind paying a bit more if I'm happy with the quality of the food, drink and service.

As an alternative, there's always Cheap Charlie's on soi 11!

Come all the way to Thailand to drink in pubs from back home?

Sunday roasts. Cooked breakfast. Sportsbars. Expat Bars. Oh what fun!

Parking Toy at Lad Prao Way.

Brick Bar at Kowsarn.

Saxaphone at Anusawari.

Beer Garden at On Nut.

Coco Walk at Ractathewi BTS.

Post Bar at Samsen Road, Banglumpoo.

The Raintree at Soi Rang Nam, Anusawari.

Spade you could give some advice, or you could fork off

it may be your eyesight but he named 7 bars. you? none. perhaps taking your own advice is in order.

• Like 2

I personally don't mind paying a bit more if I'm happy with the quality of the food, drink and service.

And a whole pile of bars inbetween...and some even cheaper than Charlie's.

My opinion of Bully's is that its inoffensive but not cheap....but then its a fully aircon bar in a good location....if a bit cavernous and dare I say boring.

Soi 8 pub or now Kiwi pub is better imho.

• Like 1

The Game on soi 9 - must be the best location on sukhumvit to drink and watch people!

The Game was mentioned recently on another website, it's owned by the most infamous boiler room boy in Bangkok apparently, that would put me off going there.

Soi 8 pub or now Kiwi pub is better imho.

Most definitely.

The Game was mentioned recently on another website, it's owned by the most infamous boiler room boy in Bangkok apparently, that would put me off going there.

Can you explain "boiler room boy" to the ignorant?

I was in there once, and the large and in charge guy lambasted a customer and kicked him out, for having the nerve to ask to put on a football match. That deterred me from returning.

Can you explain "boiler room boy" to the ignorant?

I was in there once, and the large and in charge guy lambasted a customer and kicked him out, for having the nerve to ask to put on a football match. That deterred me from returning.

"Boiler room" refers to a fraudulent investment company and/or advisor. Apparently, they did and/or do great business in Thailand scamming retirees out of their savings.

I detest pubs that advertise a price...and then you find out it's not inclusive of 10% service charge and 7% VAT. That's crap and I frequent places that engage in that business practice just once. After that, never again.

I totally agree with your sentiment, and rarely ever go back to these places either.

I was searching specifically for a bar with a good happy hour (4-7pm minimum) and glad I stumbled upon this topic before I went and started one myself. The landscape

changes so frequently and is totally unrecognizable from 15 years ago. I was running out of options in the Sukhumvit area.

Anyway, I'm going to run with one of the recommendations I saw here and try out The Kiwi on Soi 8 this week.

"Boiler room" refers to a fraudulent investment company and/or advisor. Apparently, they did and/or do great business in Thailand scamming retirees out of their savings.

Thanks. I wonder how a Jabba the Hut impersonator like this guy, who shows no discipline in taking care of himself, inspired confidence that he could take care of someone's money.

I detest pubs that advertise a price...and then you find out it's not inclusive of 10% service charge and 7% VAT. That's crap and I frequent places that engage in that business practice just once. After that, never again.

I totally agree with your sentiment, and rarely ever go back to these places either.

I was searching specifically for a bar with a good happy hour (4-7pm minimum) and glad I stumbled upon this topic before I went and started one myself. The landscape

changes so frequently and is totally unrecognizable from 15 years ago. I was running out of options in the Sukhumvit area.

Anyway, I'm going to run with one of the recommendations I saw here and try out The Kiwi on Soi 8 this week.

Please report if they're honest about their prices. I hate that add-on scam as well. At first I thought it was a requirement for farang-owned establishments.

Please report if they're honest about their prices. I hate that add-on scam as well. At first I thought it was a requirement for farang-owned establishments.

The Kiwi on Soi 8 doesn't do that crap.

If you go on Tuesday (I'm almost certain it's every Tuesday), toward the end of Happy Hour they fire up a barbecue grill in front of the place. Couple of weeks ago they cooked chicken wings and link sausages, served it with potato salad on the side. Free to anyone there who had purchased a drink. (Word of advice - the food goes quickly and when it's gone it's gone so don't be shy about getting up there and grabbing a plate. The front patio is a great place to stage yourself in advance.)

• Like 1

If you go on Tuesday (I'm almost certain it's every Tuesday), toward the end of Happy Hour they fire up a barbecue grill in front of the place. Couple of weeks ago they cooked chicken wings and link sausages, served it with potato salad on the side. Free to anyone there who had purchased a drink. (Word of advice - the food goes quickly and when it's gone it's gone so don't be shy about getting up there and grabbing a plate. The front patio is a great place to stage yourself in advance.)

Not visiting the Kiwi until Thursday, but pleased to know that prices are as advertised.

Did try another place last week that was mentioned in this thread, The Game - between Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 and Soi 9.

Their prices were not as advertised and needless to say a factor in why I am not returning.

• Like 1

Not visiting the Kiwi until Thursday, but pleased to know that prices are as advertised.

Did try another place last week that was mentioned in this thread, The Game - between Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 and Soi 9.

Their prices were not as advertised and needless to say a factor in why I am not returning.

The Game has been open less than a week in CNX, and it's already pretty much been given the death sentence. You all know Bangkok Beat? I think it is 7/1 Sukhumvit. Two years ago I went in and they had all you can drink from 8 to 11 for about 360 THB. Including bottles. I did 14 small Tigers, and they seemed almost entertained that I was downing them that fast. No dirty look/frowns or innuendos....but I checked their website and nothing like that now. Happy hour is like from 9-midnight and they do 95 thb small bottles....... not criminal, but that's more than I would pay in the States...but plenty do and then some. Any places nowadays like that, with the AYCD? I heard there is one at Patpong...Blue...something. but it's about 400 for Chang Draft....and I would probably prefer to just 7-11 hop with my beer hugger, and walk around with 30 THB Tigers.

Years ago that place used to do the same on a Fri (?) was known as TEFLRs choice, all the el cheapo teflrs used to decend on the place like a plauge of bloody locusts.

Used to be a great place, no nonsense bar with no gimmicks or stunts, what was advertised was what you got.

The Game has been open less than a week in CNX, and it's already pretty much been given the death sentence. You all know Bangkok Beat? I think it is 7/1 Sukhumvit. Two years ago I went in and they had all you can drink from 8 to 11 for about 360 THB. Including bottles. I did 14 small Tigers, and they seemed almost entertained that I was downing them that fast. No dirty look/frowns or innuendos....but I checked their website and nothing like that now. Happy hour is like from 9-midnight and they do 95 thb small bottles....... not criminal, but that's more than I would pay in the States...but plenty do and then some. Any places nowadays like that, with the AYCD? I heard there is one at Patpong...Blue...something. but it's about 400 for Chang Draft....and I would probably prefer to just 7-11 hop with my beer hugger, and walk around with 30 THB Tigers.

There is a Mexican restaurant at the front of Patpong which has insanely cheap beer in the daytime....forget the name....nachos ain't bad too.

• Like 1

The Game on soi 9 - must be the best location on sukhumvit to drink and watch people!

you have never spent a boozy afternoon at the landmark patio then.

visited the Thaivisa Lounge for a beer as i passed by the other day, heineken was piss warm at 3pm.

does anybody actually go through the indignity of pulling out their phone for the discount?

Edited by HooHaa

you have never spent a boozy afternoon at the landmark patio then.

visited the Thaivisa Lounge for a beer as i passed by the other day, heineken was piss warm at 3pm.

does anybody actually go through the indignity of pulling out their phone for the discount?

No because I'd have to actually purchase a smartphone to get the app to get the discount....so would actually be more expensive with the discount.

Edited by Diplomatico

There is a Mexican restaurant at the front of Patpong which has insanely cheap beer in the daytime....forget the name....nachos ain't bad too.

Patty's? Says 2 for 1 drafts during happy hour....reviews are all over the place......Tripadvisor is worthless. How about that Silver Dollar Tex Mex on Soi 22, Sukhumvit?

Cheap Charlies is not only the most over-rated bar in BKK it's not particularly cheap either.

OK so compared to Levels or some of the other places on Soi 11 that charge 300B a beer it's cheap but at 100B for a small beer it's over priced considering you are just standing around in the street, down an alleyway, with no view.

You'd get more entertainment buying a beer from 7/11 and sitting outside.

Most local bars in BKK you get big bottles of Leo for 90-100B or jugs for 140-180B. And you can actually sit down unlike at CCs.

Cheap Charlies is not only the most over-rated bar in BKK it's not particularly cheap either.

OK so compared to Levels or some of the other places on Soi 11 that charge 300B a beer it's cheap but at 100B for a small beer it's over priced considering you are just standing around in the street, down an alleyway, with no view.

You'd get more entertainment buying a beer from 7/11 and sitting outside.

Most local bars in BKK you get big bottles of Leo for 90-100B or jugs for 140-180B. And you can actually sit down unlike at CCs.

I thought CC charged 70 Baht a beer but not been by for a while.

Was a lot less at one time and the cheapest around lower Suk at one time.....always seems busy enough when I wandered past....trouble is they dont do decent cocktails so for my gf its a nonentity....

Visited the Kiwi last night and was pleasantly surprised. Happy hour 99B pints, Tiger and Heineken (all day until 7PM) with no plus plus trickery. It had been a long

time since I had ventured over to Soi 8 and I must say I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere on the Soi. The location is excellent IMHO and can't be any more than

about 50 meters from the BTS, very convenient. The bar is quite large with an outdoor area spanning the front of the premises - as smokers we sat out front.

I had visited their website prior to making this selection and there are plenty of details on their site regarding sports, food and promotions. There were a large number

of patrons for a Thursday afternoon at 4pm, I would guess ~50, a mix of what appeared to be local expats and tourists.

I personally do Thursday as a purely social outing, meeting up friends that I've made here over the years. A laid back place with a decent happy hour is about

the extent of my requirements. Having said that and as advertised, there were some live sporting events being televised and patrons that were obviously there

for the sports.

The most pleasant surprise about the location was how it felt completely removed from Sukhumvit although is only a mere 50 meters away.

Anyway, overall a good experience considering my requirements. I'll be going back.