Results from Thai rice inspections to be concluded in August

webfact

Results from rice inspections to be concluded in Aug

BANGKOK, 25 July 2014 (NNT) – Permanent Secretary for the Prime Minister’s Office ML Panadda Diskul expects to come up with a conclusive report on all findings from his rice inspection trips early next month.

In his capacity as the chairman of the rice inspection subcommittee, ML Panadda stated that the random checks on the quantity and quality of rice stored at government-owned warehouses across the country have been steadily conducted.

Once the process is completed, he said all the information will be compiled into a report to be submitted within early August to the head of the National Council for Peace and Order, who is acting as the chairman of the Rice Policy and Management Committee.

Based on the data from his warehouse visits thus far, ML Panadda noted that irregularities have been uncovered periodically, with most of the cases involving unexplainable disappearance of rice. Investigations have been launched into the mysteries while the findings of rice in deteriorating condition are being gathered.

ML Panadda is scheduled to lead his team to carry out more warehouse inspections this Saturday in undisclosed locations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-25 footer_n.gif

In his capacity as the chairman of the rice inspection subcommittee, ML Panadda stated that the random checks on the quantity and quality of rice stored at government-owned warehouses across the country have been steadily conducted.

Hang on.

I thought this was a comprehensive investigation covering all 1800 warehouses.

Now it appears to be just 'random'.

How the hell is that going to catch all the corruption?

The major buyers and exporters are keeping a close eye on these inspections, and there are many reports of falsely labelled sacks and mixed qualities. When this 'random' inspection concludes, the confidence in having ANY dealings in these rice stocks is going to fall through the floor.

I certainly wouldn't touch it as a professional. Too risky.

You buy 100,000 tonnes to do a deal with an African country only to find you have been stitched up, and end up getting loads of complaints from those whom you supply to.

Could wreck your credibility.

Far safer to deal with India or Vietnam.

Also isn't it far better to check ALL warehouses to make sure they know EXACTLY the amount they have in stock?..... if only to make sure all justice is served and the maximum clawback via asset and wealth seizures from those running the warehouses that show unaccounted for losses.

Edited by lostsoul49
  • Like 1

Having already seen a window into the oppositions mindset here and the FB pages I subscribe to that are populated by red shirt activists rhetoric I can see it is win win for them no matter what the result of these findings are.

If they find a few percent missing or replaced with inferior rice it shows that the DEM's were wrong and the scheme was a wonderful success. (hard to type that with a straight face)

If they find 3 million tons missing or a combination of missing and replaced with inferior rice it shows the Junta are using propaganda and the news stories are fake. (can't type that with a straight face)

This win win scenario allows them to save face. It would also not surprise me in the least if the PTP lawyers use this defense with yinglucks case in court.

"random checks on the quantity and quality of rice stored"

To the poster above. All warehouses are being inspected, but the random checks are on the bags in the warehouses.

• Like 2

Seems they are above the 5% threshold:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-missing-warehouses/

Earlier Wednesday the permanent secretary of PM’s Office ML Panadda Dissakul has said rice checking at all provinces so far showed more than 5% of rice went missing from warehouses.

According to that article, 66% of that rice went missing.

Let's hope that's not the average.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by looping

Seems they are above the 5% threshold:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-missing-warehouses/

Earlier Wednesday the permanent secretary of PM’s Office ML Panadda Dissakul has said rice checking at all provinces so far showed more than 5% of rice went missing from warehouses.

According to that article, 66% of that rice went missing.

Let's hope that's not the average, although it doesn't surprise; they probably shot for 50% but just couldn't help themselves, so to speak!

Edited by looping

Hang on.

I thought this was a comprehensive investigation covering all 1800 warehouses.

Now it appears to be just 'random'.

How the hell is that going to catch all the corruption?

The major buyers and exporters are keeping a close eye on these inspections, and there are many reports of falsely labelled sacks and mixed qualities. When this 'random' inspection concludes, the confidence in having ANY dealings in these rice stocks is going to fall through the floor.

I certainly wouldn't touch it as a professional. Too risky.

You buy 100,000 tonnes to do a deal with an African country only to find you have been stitched up, and end up getting loads of complaints from those whom you supply to.

Could wreck your credibility.

Far safer to deal with India or Vietnam.

Also isn't it far better to check ALL warehouses to make sure they know EXACTLY the amount they have in stock?..... if only to make sure all justice is served and the maximum clawback via asset and wealth seizures from those running the warehouses that show unaccounted for losses.

Who says major buyers and exporters are paying any attention whatsoever?

They will just buy new crop and barter very low for old crop. If they get shipped rubbish, they will claim against the shipper.

Buyers have tons more info than u or I and have already factored in to discount any problem. When the current govt says 80% is OK, they know this is bulls**t, and will negotiate accordingly.

3 year old 20% broken rice? They can't give it away I bet.