Thailand Travel Shield insurance may be purchased by tourists starting today, Jul 25

webfact

I just tried to purchase online. It says one can purchase an annual policy. However, when i put in an annual period, i get a box which says that the limit is 90 days. As I have a retirement visa coming up, i am puzzled as to what to do. I could take the 90 day plan. However does anyone know whether one can purchase an extension for one year more?

Furthermore, there is on the one site a limitation of age 70. Anyone know more?

change the option at the TOP from max 60 to annual, it goes to 366 days and accepts it.

the service is, however, down right now sad.png

post-119280-0-19462800-1406736015_thumb.

Edited by TommyDee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't people read the link before posting the rubbish????

Usual BS on TV.

I'll help you all.

First link to a summary.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

From there you can click on "Buy online"

Which takes you to this.

https://online.muangthaiinsurance.com/webapps/mti/BuyInsurance.aspx

And from there you can click on "General conditions" which pulls up

https://www.siamcityinsurance.com/pdf/General_Condition.pdf

and also "coverages" which will pull up

https://www.siamcityinsurance.com/pdf/Coverages_Detail.pdf

So stop posting uniformed nonsense posts and asking questions based on uninformed nonsense posts until you have read through that lot.

Oh, and you are welcome for the quick lesson in how to get information from the Web.

Thanks for the links from which I concluded the following:

It appears that this policy is or could be the same as the 'Bon Voyage' travel insurance I have had on visits to Thailand for the last few years with 'Pacific Cross' based in Hong Kong. The same in that, although advertising 'Accident and SICKNESS' cover which leads one to believe one is covered if one gets ill with anything that is not excluded by the policy, but which in fact covers you ONLY for EMERGENCY admissions and treatment. At least this is stated in the Thai policy offered here which it was not with the Bon Voyage policy:

"2. MEDICAL EXPENSES DUE TO ACCIDENT OR SICKNESS
If the Insured has to be received the EMERGENCY medical treatment during period of insurance....."
But I believe this and Bon Voyage cover is still better value for me as a Winter tourist as it is considerably cheaper than UK policies which also have hefty excesses. I reckon that at 61 and in good health, emergency cover is all I really need as minor treatment I might need is so cheap in Thailand. It covers me for the major risk in Thailand which, as we all know, is a road accident and maybe violent crime in the tourist areas. If anything else more serious develops while I am in Thailand, what am I going to do? It's obvious, jump on a plane and head for home and, being blessed to have been born in the UK, to the NHS. Bon Voyage is better as it covers travel to and from Thailand and also while one is out of Thailand on border 'excursions'.

• 1 month later...

Came across this policy on another forum right now, yes we tend to be a bit slow in the north smile.png .

The 60 days policy might be a turn down for some, anyway we mailed AGA, and although, it's not in the small print, they replied that the policy will not cover In/out border runs, they stated at least 1 day abroad, if choosing the annual plan. However you might be fine with several 60day plans.

Another question, where I have to go a bit further in, are land crossings permitted, as they refer always to air tickets?

Edited by jethro69

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This could be a good option for those doing lots of trips here of less than 60 days, 12,000 for the plan 2 for 1 year is good compared to what is offered as cheap health insurance here

Yes, but does it cover health insurance? It would definitely be worth a look, if it did. If it doesn't, it seems pretty expensive for things that are pretty low risk.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does it include health cover? Good question.

From the OP: "The "Thailand Travel Shield" insurance scheme allows foreign tourists to voluntarily purchase insurance to ensure protection against threats that may not be covered by the tourists' primary insurance.

Such threats include riots, terrorism and political turmoil. The premium for Thailand Travel Shield is between 650 baht and 12,000 baht. The duration of coverage spans from a week to one year. Thailand Travel Shield will be put on offer to tourists starting today (July 25)."

Seems health is NOT included. Wonder why?

Have the insurance companies mentioned gone for the least risk scenarios and therefor deliberately not covering health?

Seems strange to me. Over the last couple of years, and fairly recently the TAT has been talking about 'on arrival health insurance'. What Happened?

It was maybe mentioned at one of those hotel/spar Phuket seminars, TAT VIP staff holidays..555555555555 noted as one of a thousand stupid ideas they come up with every month. Pity to speak like this, but experience of their antics proves the point.

• 1 year later...