McDonald's halts nuggets sales in Hong Kong

webfact

McDonald's halts nuggets sales in Hong Kong

HONG KONG: -- Fast food chain McDonald's has suspended sale of chicken nuggets and some other products in Hong Kong.

It said it had imported chicken and pork from Shanghai Husi Food, the Chinese firm that allegedly supplied out of date meat to fast food firms.

China has suspended operations of Shanghai Husi after local media reports claimed it re-processed expired meat.

McDonald's had removed nuggets from its menus at its Japanese outlets earlier this week over the same issue.

It said on Wednesday that about 20% of its chicken nuggets sold in Japan came from Shanghai Husi.

McDonald's said that nearly 500 stores in Japan had removed chicken nuggets from their menu, adding that sales were expected to resume after it switches to other suppliers in China and Thailand.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28478338

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-25

Once again the lack of Quality Control in China...

They try to burn your houses down. They try to electrocute you, now they are trying to poison you... whistling.gif

By the way the news also says KFC have problems too...

Edited by Basil B

Why countries don't simply boycott most foods from China is beyond me. They had the baby milk formula made with melamine that killed infants. They had the poisoned pet food that killed pets.

In Thailand fruits and vegetables from China have been found to contain extremely large amounts of pesticides. (Why Thailand with it's vast agriculture needs to import vegetables and fruit from China is beyond me to begin with).

The standards are far too low for most countries.

• Like 2

They try to burn your houses down. They try to electrocute you, now they are trying to poison you... whistling.gif

It's a US subsidiary.

A production line at a Shanghai Husi Food factory. Chinese officials have accused the subsidiary of a U.S. company of selling expired meat. Reuters

BEIJING—The chief executive of a U.S. meat supplier apologized Wednesday after managers of its Chinese subsidiary were accused of intentionally selling expired meat to restaurants. Chinese authorities detained five people.

OSI Group Inc., the Ilinois-based parent of the Shanghai operation under scrutiny, dispatched a team of its "global experts" to address the problems in China as its CEO vowed that the "completely unacceptable" missteps wouldn't happen again.

" dispatched a team of its "global experts" to address the problems"

Maybe they should have dispatched a team of global experts to run the company properly in the first place.

• Like 1

McNuggets are made up of chiken leftovers. This is the only way they can sell the guts because you dont know what you are eating.This is what i read when I was in the U.S.

Please provide a link to this info that you were reading when you were in the U.S. I would like to see it for myself.

Why countries don't simply boycott most foods from China is beyond me. They had the baby milk formula made with melamine that killed infants. They had the poisoned pet food that killed pets.

In Thailand fruits and vegetables from China have been found to contain extremely large amounts of pesticides. (Why Thailand with it's vast agriculture needs to import vegetables and fruit from China is beyond me to begin with).

The standards are far too low for most countries.

Their stuff is cheap and our reputable western corps can profit from the great mark up. You think China don't care our corps don't care much either. I could say I don't understand why food producing nations like Thailand and Australia import Chinese produce but Ivé already answered that question.

CP is very happy and excited about this news. cheesy.gif

But seriously, the Chinese really have to stop with this business attitude of cost savings and such. What happen to company mission statements? Such as ensuring each human being gets to eat safe healthy food. Milk powders, oreo cookies, instant noodles, what next? Or should I say, what haven't we found out yet but have been eating all along? Just because it's not on the news, doesn't mean it's safe! We don't have actual quality controls where independent agencies test all the food we eat regularly.

McNuggets are made up of chiken leftovers. This is the only way they can sell the guts because you dont know what you are eating.This is what i read when I was in the U.S.

"This is what i read when I was in the U.S."

Well if you read it, it must be true.

What are "chiken leftovers?" Left over following what?

Leftover-Wine.jpg

anyone who eats at macdonalds gets what they deserve ...

So it begins . . . .

True, when I see comments like wigans, I wonder about their intelligence and thought process, though I suspect both are lacking.

Chicken McNuggets®:

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary).
Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch.
Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
nuggets.jpg
You're probably better off eating the cardboard box --- just ask for extra BBQ sauce, since the box tends to be quite dry.
  • Like 2

Chicken McNuggets®:

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary).

Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch.

Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

nuggets.jpg

You're probably better off eating the cardboard box --- just ask for extra BBQ sauce, since the box tends to be quite dry.

Hey, that's cool. No MSG!

Pass the Diet Coke.

... but you still want a low price for your "assembled in China"?

(Apple quote)

It's a US subsidiary.

A production line at a Shanghai Husi Food factory. Chinese officials have accused the subsidiary of a U.S. company of selling expired meat. Reuters

BEIJING—The chief executive of a U.S. meat supplier apologized Wednesday after managers of its Chinese subsidiary were accused of intentionally selling expired meat to restaurants. Chinese authorities detained five people.

OSI Group Inc., the Ilinois-based parent of the Shanghai operation under scrutiny, dispatched a team of its "global experts" to address the problems in China as its CEO vowed that the "completely unacceptable" missteps wouldn't happen again.

" dispatched a team of its "global experts" to address the problems"

Maybe they should have dispatched a team of global experts to run the company properly in the first place.

This leaflet is asking you to think for a moment about what lies behind McDonald's clean, bright image. It's got a lot to hide.

"At McDonald's we've got time for you" goes the jingle. Why then do they design the service so that you're in and out as soon as possible? Why is it so difficult to relax in a McDonald's? Why do you feel hungry again so soon after eating a Big Mac?

We're all subject to the pressures of stupid advertising, consumerist hype and the fast pace of big city life - but it doesn't take any special intelligence to start asking questions about McDonald's and to realise that something is seriously wrong.

The more you find out about McDonald's processed food, the less attractive it becomes, as this leaflet will show. The truth about hamburgers is enough to put you off them for life.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcspotlight.org%2Fcase%2Fpretrial%2Ffactsheet.html&ei=fYnSU66aDI2QuASc0IDADQ&usg=AFQjCNFVm3WbcwEcVr-S1itO57AoT_NiTg

Once again it seem the Chinese are being asked to remove the sawdust speck before the planks in other eyes.

There are other contributors blaming the Chinese Quality control . May I just add some points . This plant is owned by OSI Group in the USA and are the largest protein supplier to McDonalds worldwide they have an impressive high standard and reputation . How do I know , because I worked for them and now how the philosophy of working and quality of the food they produce . Rest assured Sheldon Lavin personally will be on top of this slip in standards - there will be repercussions for that facility, I shook hands with him once about 12 years ago and found him a man of integrity!

http://www.osigroup.com/osi_in_action.html

http://digital.bnpmedia.com/article/Sheldon+Lavin,+Chairman+And+CEO+Of+OSI+Group,+LLC/1529744/0/article.html

MEANWHILE where is the plank ? TRY THE UK !!!!!! it makes bad reading for the UK industry.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/Broilers/Processing/2014/7/2-sisters-poultry-plant-faces-hygiene-allegations-1566412W/?cmpid=NLC|worldpoultry|2014-07-25|2_sisters_poultry_plant_faces_hygiene_allegations

if you cannot get the link main report is below.

UK poultry processors have issued a stern defence of their company protocols, following allegations in The Guardian newspaper of unhygienic practices and a lax approach to regulation.
2 sisters poultry plant faces hygiene allegations
Photo: Poultry World (www.fwi.co.uk/poultry)
In a feature article entitled "Poultry industry's dirty secret", the newspaper focuses on campylobacter levels throughout the poultry supply chain, claiming that malpractice on farms and in factories is contributing to a worsening disease situation.
Whistleblowers say the public is being put at risk because of suspect practices at two of the largest UK poultry processors, the 2 Sisters Food Group and Faccenda.
Claims in the article include unhygienic practises such as chickens which fall on to the floor have repeatedly been put back on to the production line at two 2 Sisters sites. Breakdowns have led to high-risk material – feathers, guts and offal – piling up for hours on separate occasions while production continued at a 2 Sisters factory in Wales.
by WORLD POULTRY Jul 25, 2014
Edited by Scott
Edited for fair use
  • Like 1