New Zealander Stabbed To Death

george

New Zealander stabbed to death

BANGKOK: -- A New Zealand man was stabbed to death at own Bangkok apartment late Saturday night, police said.

Pol Captain Thanaphat Sookmee of Bang Khen police station said Leonard Timothy Healey, 32, who taught English at two schools in Bang Khen district, was attacked in front of his room on the tenth floor of PA Tower Apartment in the district at about midnight.

Thanaphat said Healy was attacked allegedly by Winai Saisudjai, 29, a friend of Healey's girlfriend, Jitladda Dejyosdee, 19.

The three have been drinking together inside Healey's room waiting to see the Brazil-France World Cup match.

Jitladda told police that Healey became angry that Winai asked to sleep with her so Healey told Winai to leave the room.

Winai, who appeared drunk, grabbed Jitladda and dragged her outside the room, she said.

Healey came into help her and the two men fought and Winai stabbed him several times.

Jitladda said Winai fled the scene and she carried Healey into his room to make a phone call for help from security offices of the building to help him to the hospital but he succumbed to the wounds.

--The Nation 2006-07-02

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope they catch the Thai man and lock him up for the rest of his life. It sounds the NZ guy was simply trying to protect his GF from unwanted attentions or even rape.

It seems to be getting very dangerous in this country. Particularly for foreigners.

Frankly Cities/Towns here now seem about as dangerous as any European city/Town, whereas once upon a time it was viewed as much safer here. Just look at the news and places like Pattaya etc etc. I think the only surprising truth now, is that Europeans generally do not realise the state of play here in the Land of Smiles, knives, fists, bottles and guns.

It should be up to all Embassys to educate and inform the travelling public visiting Thailand.

A smile can hide a thousand thoughts.

Perhaps TAT should adopt it as their new more honest slogan.

Whao this hits close to home, being from NZ, and having so few of us living here is going to make this big news in NZ.

Agree with the above, sounds like he was protecting his gf from advances of her "friend".

It's sad in Thailand when we begin to see these farang murders on almost a daily basis.

Respects to his freinds and family.

Edited by VanZam

Whao this hits close to home, being from NZ, and having so few of us living here is going to make this big news in NZ.

Agree with the above, sounds like he was protecting his gf from advances of her "friend".

It's sad in Thailand when we begin to see these farang murders on almost a dialy basis.

Respects to his freinds and family.

================================================================

I express my deepest-felt condolenses to the family, the Thai GF & friends of this Kiwi-victim.

At the same time, I also feel deeply about perhaps solving this the 'good ol' Maori way': put up a big 'Hungi' but stick the knife-carrying Wally-Banger in the ground, with really hot stones under the stallwarth !

Jaap

(10 yrs NZ)

wow that made me look,glad it was not one of my mates.Still sad thing to happen.Haven't heard anything on the kiwi news yet.Thats the second kiwi to be murdered in the last few months,bit of a worrying trend.

sad story indeed..... I always avoid places where drunk Thais gather..... alcohol is obviously one of the biggest problems in this country..... people here loose inhibitons so easily..... though I really dont mind a Pint or glass of wine or even a bottle of whiskey with friends, I take good care to NEVER EVER be really drunk while in this country.... know why....

BANGKOK: -- A New Zealand man was stabbed to death at own Bangkok apartment late Saturday night, police said.

Pol Captain Thanaphat Sookmee of Bang Khen police station said Leonard Timothy Healey, 32, who taught English at two schools in Bang Khen district, was attacked in front of his room on the tenth floor of PA Tower Apartment in the district at about midnight.

Thanaphat said Healy was attacked allegedly by Winai Saisudjai, 29, a friend of Healey's girlfriend, Jitladda Dejyosdee, 19.

The three have been drinking together inside Healey's room waiting to see the Brazil-France World Cup match.

Jitladda told police that Healey became angry that Winai asked to sleep with her so Healey told Winai to leave the room.

Winai, who appeared drunk, grabbed Jitladda and dragged her outside the room, she said.

Healey came into help her and the two men fought and Winai stabbed him several times.

Jitladda said Winai fled the scene and she carried Healey into his room to make a phone call for help from security offices of the building to help him to the hospital but he succumbed to the wounds.

--The Nation 2006-07-02

\

I first visted Thailand in 1962 - it was then a very different country then it is now.

My sincere condolences to the family.

It is time for the Embassy's of European and other western countries to place travelers notice (Warnings) on their web sites informing the general public what they can truly expect to find when traveling to Thailand - this I'm sure would hit home with the locals as it would have the impact of curbing travel to Thailand - and I'm sure the government here does not want the world to know of these almost daily attacks on westerners. The result to the tourist industry would be felt in lost dollars something the government cannot afford.

Let's hope they catch the Thai man and lock him up for the rest of his life. It sounds the NZ guy was simply trying to protect his GF from unwanted attentions or even rape.

It seems to be getting very dangerous in this country. Particularly for foreigners.

Frankly Cities/Towns here now seem about as dangerous as any European city/Town, whereas once upon a time it was viewed as much safer here. Just look at the news and places like Pattaya etc etc. I think the only surprising truth now, is that Europeans generally do not realise the state of play here in the Land of Smiles, knives, fists, bottles and guns.

It should be up to all Embassys to educate and inform the travelling public visiting Thailand.

And further quoting (from VanZam) "Agree with the above, sounds like he was protecting his gf from advances of her "friend"

Before we all jump to conclusions (myself included) as to how this occurred (what actually happened) let's remember that there were three people involved; one did a runner, one is dead and the remaining one is telling the story.

So far there is no contradiction "and there won't be one (any contradiction) coming from the deceased will there ?"

There could be a bit more to this than meets the eye perhaps.

I agree that it's getting a bit risky here in the realm.

--The Nation 2006-07-02

\

I first visted Thailand in 1962 - it was then a very different country then it is now.

It is time for the Embassy's of European and other western countries to place travelers notice (Warnings) on their web sites informing the general public what they can truly expect to find when traveling to Thailand - this I'm sure would hit home with the locals as it would have the impact of curbing travel to Thailand - and I'm sure the government here does not want the world to know of these almost daily attacks on westerners. The result to the tourist industry would be felt in lost dollars something the government cannot afford.

Don't agree with this as most attacks on westerners are provoked because of stupity or bad behaviour by westerners.

:o

Gday Guys,

tell you what, not over a month ago I went to the Police Department to do my Visa. Of course I was a bit updressed for that, but not to much. After I went to my room Soi 3 and thought "Oh lets check my emails" ... so I went in that Internet Shop in front of the Japanese Embassy.

Checked emails, (was alone in that shop with the owner, staff ?!?!) then I went to pay. In that situation I had my document-bag under my right arm, the wallet in the left hand and picked the money out ... when the punch hit me right on my temples, my glasses flew and I thought whats going on ?!?!

Everything happend so fast but I had plenty of time for think (strange in sitations like that) and I saw this crazy thai mans face (white) comming towards me grabbing for scissors.

I stay here now 5 years, but never experienced a situation like that. I only thought darn if you fight here in his shop whatever .... and I went out of the shop as fast as possible (scaring for being stabbed in my back, because it was a sliding door) and jumped 3 to 5 meters away from the shop. Then nothing else happend and I went away. Lost my glasses because i didnt dare to go back.

I didnt tell anybody anything because what do I have to win hmmm ?

A farrang in situations like this is always lost. For the case you you slap him a bit around, or brake his bones they can tell the police everything they want .... you broke a Computer, you talked bad to them, you didnt want to pay, whatever no chance to proof for you. The other choice you have is being stabbed, but even then .... 'he told me that I..... , and I lost control", he grabbed for the money .... and so on..... they will go out without trouble .... nearly always.

Think I was very lucky, but i am really really fed up to listen about more and more attackts against farrangs.

It offends me a lot that some people here seemed to be unaware of the seriousness of the Situation

Brutus

I see you originate from England???? do you have any idea as to what is actually happening in England with regards to law and order or should i phrase it as law and "disorder", you can be sure that the Thai guy will be punished as befits this crime and sentence will be swift and no plush prison for the criminal to go do his sentence in and for what it is worth the victims family will see justice done here in Thailand , In England the legal system would make provesion so that the criminal would be able to appoint top barristers and argue points of law and all at the tax payers expenses. My deepest condolonces to the victims family. .........is the grass really greener on the other side????

As John B Good pointed out...One person left (Thai) to tell the "facts" to the (Thai) police. Khun stabber has probably had a mobile conflab with girly to straighten out the story by now.

If you are comfortable as a farang, surrounded by everyone communicating in Thai...Then this is one possible outcome. If you can't pick up on brewing bad feelings/envy/etc...How are you going to difuse it? Some young man, obviously wanting to unload his bo@@ocks, being "shown the door."

You should at least have a hammer in your back pocket!

Another case of "Mug Farang"...and they (will) keep coming.

I am not blaming anyone, cos I wasn't there...If I go into a volitile situation (and I do)

I know WHEN the sh@t is going to hit the fan.

In a pit full of vipers?

Know your vipers.

Best of luck lads and ladesses. Have more farang gone home in body bags SINCE the Vietnam War?

THIS IS TRAGIC...BUT NOT THE FIRST TIME AND ARE WE ABLE TO LEARN SOMETHING,AT LAST?OBVIOUSLY-WE DIDN'T...WE ARE DIFFERENT CULTURE,WE SHOULD KNOW THAT WHEN WE GOING THERE...CUSTOMS IN OUR COUNTRIES,WESTERN COUNTRIES,ARE SO MUCH DIFFERENT SO WE SHOULD KNOW THAI CULTURE MORE SO WE WILL ESCAPE TO GET IN PROBLEMS,VERY OFTEN WITH FATAL CONSEQUENCES AS NOW...

WITH ALL RESPECT FOR THE POOR GUY...SOMEBODY CAN ANSWER TO ME WHY HE WAS DRINING WITH THAT GUY IN HIS OWN ROOM,AT ALL?WE ALL KNOW WHAT DRINKS CAN MAKE TO US,RIGHT?BUT MAIN MY POINT IS:HOW COME THAT WE INVITING THEM IN OUR PLACES?WHAT WE EXPECT OF THEM?TO ACTING AS IN SWEDEN,USA,ENGLAND OR WHAT?WHY WE ARE SO STUPID? :o

MILOS FROM SERBIA...

P.S.UNTIL WHEN WE WILL BE ROMANTIC TO THEM,TO SEE THEM ALL AS THEY ARE NOT AT ALL,WITH THEIR CUSTOMS?UNTIL WHEN?I AM ANGRY ON ALL OF US THAT WE ARE SO STUPID IN OUR BELIEF TO THEM...

sorry to hear this. The place is getting too bad. I have been here for 4 years and had even a crazy thai guy chasing me with a gun, just be i have a business here. But to think about it, i bet she was knocking th thai off anyway. Silly things but, why did he ask him, when he could have asked her directly. Dont she have no part in it.

Stupid people makes the stupidist mistakes

sorry to hear this. The place is getting too bad. I have been here for 4 years and had even a crazy thai guy chasing me with a gun, just be i have a business here. But to think about it, i bet she was knocking th thai off anyway. Silly things but, why did he ask him, when he could have asked her directly. Dont she have no part in it.

Stupid people makes the stupidist mistakes

Why would somebody chase you with a gun grasshopper? :o

Yes.....something really strange in this story regarding the presence of this 3rd member of the group ie the Thai guy. What was his relationship to the Thai woman? Were they both milking this poor NZer. Its' very sad. However, don't you people delude yourselves into thinking that London or Paris or NY is any better. Are you watching Mr Chips movies from the 40's or whenever they were made thus distorting you view of Britain / the west. It's not like that here you know......If anything, Thailand is merely catching up. Solzhenitsyn once saids word to the effect that western culture was seeping like sewage through the iron curtain. I suppose it's making it's way into Thailand too :o

19 yr. old girlfriend, 29 yr. old male 'friend', drinking together late at night...hmm, what could possibly go wrong?

That being said, crimes like that almost never happen in Western countries. When was the last time anyone read about a stabbing in the UK for instance? Oh, yesterday, well never mind...

Those who feel Thailand is very dangerous are right. Get out now while you still can. Pack your bags and get on the next flight before you die here, and leave Thailand for us thrill-seekers. Too many farangs here anyway.

Its quite sad that Mr. Healey was murdered. I think many of us who read such stories, ask if the situation could have been avoided. We wonder if it could have been us. I have seen or heard of violence commited against farangs for 30 years, and it very often either involves alcohol, a jealous lover, or what appears to be a large amount of cash. The same as one previous reader, I avoid at all costs being with Thais (and farangs) when they are drunk, I've seen my share of murder and violence in these situations. It is unnecessary and dangerous. These situations are not a result of Thais increasingly attacking farangs. They have to do with people putting themselves in the wrong situation. This is not a Thai specific crime.

--The Nation 2006-07-02

\

------------------------------------

i guess no one cares for the numerous thai exchange students being sexually molested by their host parents? thailand is at no loss if the world comes to know about such "attacks", or as the americans would call it an ACT OF TERRORISM...

if i (a thai person) was for example physically assaulted in the USA.. the typical ignorant reply would be "get out of our country.." i speak from experience..

so im sick and tired of "farangs" from all over the world whining like infants about what goes on in this amazing home we call thailand..

hey if u dont like it, GET OUT.. or DEAL with it..

so im sick and tired of "farangs" from all over the world whining like infants about what goes on in this amazing home we call thailand..

hey if u dont like it, GET OUT.. or DEAL with it..

You are of course, correct in what you say......

19 yr. old girlfriend, 29 yr. old male 'friend', drinking together late at night...hmm, what could possibly go wrong?

That being said, crimes like that almost never happen in Western countries. When was the last time anyone read about a stabbing in the UK for instance? Oh, yesterday, well never mind...

Those who feel Thailand is very dangerous are right. Get out now while you still can. Pack your bags and get on the next flight before you die here, and leave Thailand for us thrill-seekers. Too many farangs here anyway.

FINALLY an intelligent comment...

i agree, the last thing we need is ignorant farangs whining about what goes on here... since when does Thailand have a higher crime rate than western countries? say the UNITED STATES??? i dont think a person who is from a country that sells guns at walmart to children who take the gun to school and shoot down their entire school, is one to complain about Thailand..

FINALLY an intelligent comment...

i agree, the last thing we need is ignorant farangs whining about what goes on here... since when does Thailand have a higher crime rate than western countries? say the UNITED STATES??? i dont think a person who is from a country that sells guns at walmart to children who take the gun to school and shoot down their entire school, is one to complain about Thailand..

Too bad you had to ruin a fairly intelligent comment with ignorance of your own. Thailand has double the per capita murder rate of the US.

But, I am with Bangkokbob on this on, his I give most intelligent post in this thread award to:

Its quite sad that Mr. Healey was murdered. I think many of us who read such stories, ask if the situation could have been avoided. We wonder if it could have been us. I have seen or heard of violence commited against farangs for 30 years, and it very often either involves alcohol, a jealous lover, or what appears to be a large amount of cash. The same as one previous reader, I avoid at all costs being with Thais (and farangs) when they are drunk, I've seen my share of murder and violence in these situations. It is unnecessary and dangerous. These situations are not a result of Thais increasingly attacking farangs. They have to do with people putting themselves in the wrong situation. This is not a Thai specific crime.