Bangkok to Poipet - Recommend a Good Visa Run Service

Hi, I've used up the first entry + extension of my triple entry visa. I'm not 100% sure of the terminology, but I think I'm in need of a "visa renewal" by crossing the border and activating the second entry.

I'm next to BTS Asoke and appreciate any Visa Run services you can recommend. Price is my chief concern, I'm not looking for amenities or extra things

I can only recommend doing it yourself.

To do it the cheapest you will need:

-20 US dollars to pay for the Visa into Cambodia (note, you will need dollars, you will get robbed if you pay in baht)

-100 baht to give the idiot Cambodian immigration officials who impudently ask for this with a sign right above your head that reads "20 US dollars"

-230 baht each way for the minivans at victory monument (these are located next to century theater)

Immediately when you cross the border into Cambodia, just tell all those buzzards to take a hike and walk about 100 or so meters, cross the street to your right into a building. This is where you buy the legit Cambodian visa for 20 dollars, plus their ridiculous, and annoying 100 baht fee.

They have started to try and ask for another 100 baht just after this initial annoying one, when you stamp into Cambodia. They tell you that they will do you the favor of stamping you in and out for 100 baht. Yet, to stamp out will be free just by crossing the street. Don't pay it. If you are feeling frisky, don't pay the other 100 baht extortion fee either, although I never have. I started to argue about it once and it seemed to be more trouble than it is worth. Although i did get away with not paying for the second one easily enough.

If you go with the service it will be considerably more, but that is up to you.

I have all these coordinates from my first trip, maybe somebody will find them useful:

Aranya Pratet border crossing area in Thailand; ie area where you enter into Cambodia: N 13.66223, E 102.54887

The office to get the official Cambodian Visa (pass all those vultures as you walk into Cambodia!): N 13.66118, E 102.55019

Victory monument minivan company back to BKK (where those 230 baht minivans sit): N13.66600, E 102.54670

One bank for dollars (there are a few choices in this area though): N 13.66403, E 102.54747

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

-20 US dollars to pay for the Visa into Cambodia (note, you will need dollars, you will get robbed if you pay in baht)

-100 baht to give the idiot Cambodian immigration officials who impudently ask for this with a sign right above your head that reads "20 US dollars"

-230 baht each way for the minivans at victory monument (these are located next to century theater)

Immediately when you cross the border into Cambodia, just tell all those buzzards to take a hike and walk about 100 or so meters, cross the street to your right into a building. This is where you buy the legit Cambodian visa for 20 dollars, plus their ridiculous, and annoying 100 baht fee.

They have started to try and ask for another 100 baht just after this initial annoying one, when you stamp into Cambodia. They tell you that they will do you the favor of stamping you in and out for 100 baht. Yet, to stamp out will be free just by crossing the street. Don't pay it. If you are feeling frisky, don't pay the other 100 baht extortion fee either, although I never have. I started to argue about it once and it seemed to be more trouble than it is worth. Although i did get away with not paying for the second one easily enough.

Great advice, thanks. I don't have US dollars anymore, how much extra do they charge in baht?

And to answer Why Poipet: I'm looking for the shortest overall trip (have a lot of stuff that'll take up my time next week).

Edited by Hal65

I think it is 1000 baht. They may also charge the 100 baht, so 1100 baht. Others may know better. I just know it is way more and have not paid it in years.

There are a few banks in the market area right before you cross into Cambodia. Only one time I had a situation where none of them had dollars left, so that is rare.

Great advice, thanks. I don't have US dollars anymore, how much extra do they charge in baht?

And to answer Why Poipet: I'm looking for the shortest overall trip (have a lot of stuff that'll take up my time next week).

Ban Laem is a little further than Poi Pet but from reports I have seen it can be made up by the amount of time saved from not waiting in lines at the border.

• Like 1

I have had lines at poipet, and no lines. I have not been able to correlate it. If I had to guess mid week the lines are better. My last trip there were no lines whatsoever. I suppose it may be correlated with high tourist season?

Other may be correct about there being better options. The reason I go to poipet is I know their scams, and I don't want to learn any new scams smile.png Last time when I crossed the border into Cambodia with all the vultures I started repeating "no hablo Ingles"...... "no entiendo".

Edited by isawasnake

google Bangkok Buddy Travel Service Co.,Ltd.

This is the only Visa Run Service still going to Poi Pet.

Talk to Tanya

If price is your main concern, you can follow the advise of isawasnake and do it yourself.But Poi Pet is known for scams.

Agree, only one I've used. Would use them while they are still in existence. Also only a few people in a van is evena bbetter.

Edited by liamstevens111

Okay guys, my trip is tomorrow. I have everything planned except the return home:

1. Get to the Ekkamai Bus Terminal by 8:30 am (can't do the 6 am bus, I have an early morning call to Australia)

2. Once arriving in Aramyaprathet, take a baht bus to the border. (or if no baht bus, take a tuk tuk with the fare pre-negotiated)

3. Get to Cambodian Immigration, pay the $20 fee plus 100 baht, go out through Cambodian immigration without paying the "extra extra" 100 baht.

^^ From this point I'm unclear how to get back.

Do I go back to Aramyaprathet? Or are there buses / vans at all times of day waiting right at the border?

You should be able to find a minivan back. I really don't know about buses, others may. The minivans leave every 30 minutes or so. The one I take is right here (don't know how else I would describe where it is): N13.66600, E 102.54670

It is on the opposite side of the street from the market..... you will see a single minivan sitting there waiting to depart.

The good thing about the minivans as I read what you have written is they drop you right near the border. It sounds like the buses drop you a little ways from the border? This would be another good reason to take a minivan back.

Here is what the minivan departure point looks like in google maps street view:

post-165577-0-28079400-1406457327_thumb.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

Okay perfect, it looks like the minivans are actually cheaper if I could just walk to the border. I was also hoping to spend an extra bit of time messing around with a Cambodian girl, now I feel a bit more confident. Let's just hope I don't get killed in the process :-)

Just got back from my border run. there were a few mistakes and lessons to learn from. For anyone who's interested, my detailed account to myself for future reference is below:

There were no motorcycle taxis out at 5:15 AM. Instead a taxicab passed by and I got him to take me to the MRT station.

The MRT does not open until 6 AM so I had to take another cab to the train station. Barely made it on time.

At the station I bought the tickets and boarded the train in less than five minutes. It was very easy to find the counter after someone pointed me into the main room. The trains are right behind the counter area.

The train was loud and slow. I estimate it goes about 35 to 40 mph. They do not close the doors, so the doors keep banging against the outside like steel hammer slamming against a metal container repeatedly. It's a very loud noise that makes it hard to sleep or not be constantly distracted. It's a stress inducing noise, too.

The worst part about the train ride other than the total length was the amount of stops. In the Bangkok area the train stops several times for more than a minute. In the outskirts the train stops about every 5 miles or so. I estimate about 20 to 30 stops.

All told the train journey took six hours and 30 minutes. Started at 6 AM and ended at 12:30 PM.

I took a large baht bus to the border for 15 baht. There were some solicitors here and other places throughout the trip. I just don't make eye contact and mutter "no" to the people who take a few steps in stride with me, nothing more is needed to shoo them away.

At the border I got confused. They dropped me off at a place where there were two side streets, both of which I went down before finding the actual street to the border. It's the one next to the 711. I made a note to watch where the others head next time.

At immigration, I filled out the visa application and gave it to the security guard. He asked for 800 baht. I handed him a $20 bill. He then asked for her 100 baht extra. I instantly shook my head with the slight smirk on my face and I also shook my hand in a "no/cancel" fashion at the same. It was obvious I knew what his game was. My "friendliness factor" was about a five or six out of 10, not very friendly, but also not very mean. He instantly looked at me, turned around slightly embarrassed, and gave the papers to the guy behind the desk.

I sat down in the chair next to the window. About one minute later one of the immigration guys drops my passport in front of me on the desk with the cambodian Visa.

As a first timer to border runs, crossing back to the Thai side of the border was a bit difficult at first. Getting through the departure office was easy enough, I showed them my passport and did several rounds of fingerprints. After that I crossed the road again and went up to the foreign passport area. My mistake was not grabbing another arrival/departure card in the bottom level, outside of the buildings. There was a guy sitting at a table down there with a stack of them, and he took me a good 20 minutes extra to finally find as I circled around helplessly.

Lesson learned, always grab a arrival and departure card every time you're about to cross the border. It seems that all countries expect to get it at each pass.

Outside I headed back to the minivan area. I knew where they were because I saw them earlier, I then just had to figure out which one was going to take me to the right place in Bangkok. A English-speaking Thai guided me to the office to buy a ticket -- apparently the same minivan starts in the Bang Na BTS area, goes to Victory Monument, and ends the trip at Mo Chit. I assume then that the other minivans go to another city besides BKK.

Cost for the minivan was 230 baht. I forgot to mention that the train ticket cost only 48 baht btw.

I waited outside the minivan for about 15 minutes, and another 25 minutes inside the van. We stopped twice for 10 to 15 minutes each, and the total trip took 4 hours: 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Walking to the Bang Na BTS and then taking a Moto taxi home from Asoke BTS took another 30 minutes or so.

All told I spent about 7.5 hours getting to Poipet, 1 hour girl hunting (unsuccessful) 1 hour circling around, and 5.5 hours getting home.

I would not take the train next time -- minivans only. Minivans are faster than buses (The driver drives them fast). The bench seat in the back is the best for frequent adjusting on -- especially if you can get the entire bench to yourself (I did)

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 2

I tried to tell you about the minivans :) but I know I know, grown men must be let to decide for themselves.

You got out of the 100 baht! I have never even done that. Good one! I may get out of my comfort zone and try it next time. Thanks for the report.

• Like 1

google Bangkok Buddy Travel Service Co.,Ltd.

This is the only Visa Run Service still going to Poi Pet.

Talk to Tanya

If price is your main concern, you can follow the advise of isawasnake and do it yourself.But Poi Pet is known for scams.

I used BBTS last year and they were great. They were the first agency that was aware of the G-7 country citizens now allowed 30 day exemptions instead of the 15 day exemptions when re-entering from a land crossing. Tanya was great. Very pleasant lady. later while I was visiting Kon Kahn i called her for some quick translation help and she kindly helped out. Just all in all a nice experience. And her office is right around the corner from the Asok BTS stop.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from my border run. there were a few mistakes and lessons to learn from. For anyone who's interested, my detailed account to myself for future reference is below:

There were no motorcycle taxis out at 5:15 AM. Instead a taxicab passed by and I got him to take me to the MRT station.

The MRT does not open until 6 AM so I had to take another cab to the train station. Barely made it on time.

At the station I bought the tickets and boarded the train in less than five minutes. It was very easy to find the counter after someone pointed me into the main room. The trains are right behind the counter area.

The train was loud and slow. I estimate it goes about 35 to 40 mph. They do not close the doors, so the doors keep banging against the outside like steel hammer slamming against a metal container repeatedly. It's a very loud noise that makes it hard to sleep or not be constantly distracted. It's a stress inducing noise, too.

The worst part about the train ride other than the total length was the amount of stops. In the Bangkok area the train stops several times for more than a minute. In the outskirts the train stops about every 5 miles or so. I estimate about 20 to 30 stops.

All told the train journey took six hours and 30 minutes. Started at 6 AM and ended at 12:30 PM.

I took a large baht bus to the border for 15 baht. There were some solicitors here and other places throughout the trip. I just don't make eye contact and mutter "no" to the people who take a few steps in stride with me, nothing more is needed to shoo them away.

At the border I got confused. They dropped me off at a place where there were two side streets, both of which I went down before finding the actual street to the border. It's the one next to the 711. I made a note to watch where the others head next time.

At immigration, I filled out the visa application and gave it to the security guard. He asked for 800 baht. I handed him a $20 bill. He then asked for her 100 baht extra. I instantly shook my head with the slight smirk on my face and I also shook my hand in a "no/cancel" fashion at the same. It was obvious I knew what his game was. My "friendliness factor" was about a five or six out of 10, not very friendly, but also not very mean. He instantly looked at me, turned around slightly embarrassed, and gave the papers to the guy behind the desk.

I sat down in the chair next to the window. About one minute later one of the immigration guys drops my passport in front of me on the desk with the cambodian Visa.

As a first timer to border runs, crossing back to the Thai side of the border was a bit difficult at first. Getting through the departure office was easy enough, I showed them my passport and did several rounds of fingerprints. After that I crossed the road again and went up to the foreign passport area. My mistake was not grabbing another arrival/departure card in the bottom level, outside of the buildings. There was a guy sitting at a table down there with a stack of them, and he took me a good 20 minutes extra to finally find as I circled around helplessly.

Lesson learned, always grab a arrival and departure card every time you're about to cross the border. It seems that all countries expect to get it at each pass.

Outside I headed back to the minivan area. I knew where they were because I saw them earlier, I then just had to figure out which one was going to take me to the right place in Bangkok. A English-speaking Thai guided me to the office to buy a ticket -- apparently the same minivan starts in the Bang Na BTS area, goes to Victory Monument, and ends the trip at Mo Chit. I assume then that the other minivans go to another city besides BKK.

Cost for the minivan was 230 baht. I forgot to mention that the train ticket cost only 48 baht btw.

I waited outside the minivan for about 15 minutes, and another 25 minutes inside the van. We stopped twice for 10 to 15 minutes each, and the total trip took 4 hours: 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Walking to the Bang Na BTS and then taking a Moto taxi home from Asoke BTS took another 30 minutes or so.

All told I spent about 7.5 hours getting to Poipet, 1 hour girl hunting (unsuccessful) 1 hour circling around, and 5.5 hours getting home.

I would not take the train next time -- minivans only. Minivans are faster than buses (The driver drives them fast). The bench seat in the back is the best for frequent adjusting on -- especially if you can get the entire bench to yourself (I did)

I just did a run to poipet and I was inspired by you! When the Cambodian immigration official said "plus 100 baht" after I handed him my 20 USD, I let out a chuckle. Totally unplanned. After he saw I was making no motions toward my pocket he slide my passport with fee to the man behind the glass, and I had it back visa in hand a minute later.

It wasn't the 100 baht that mattered so much as finally getting them for a change. It's addictive too, I don't think I will ever pay again. I don't think I will accidentally laugh at him next time, but I will refuse to pay.

I was thinking another good thing to point out if you don't want to pay and they give you some grief about it..... if you have an older stamp in your passport from poipet you can point to it and point to the "20 USD" stamped on there. Point out that it doesn't say anything about 100 baht.