World Cup should not be held in Russia, Nick Clegg says

Lite Beer

World Cup should not be held in Russia, Nick Clegg says

Russia should lose the right to host the 2018 World Cup as part of tougher sanctions following the plane crash in eastern Ukraine, Nick Clegg has said.

The UK deputy prime minister told the Sunday Times it was "unthinkable" that Russia should host the football event.

Pro-Russian separatist rebels have been accused of shooting down the Malaysia Airlines jet. Russia has suggested it could have been the Ukraine military.

World football governing body Fifa has rejected calls to change the 2018 host.

Responding this week after some German politicians called for Russia to be boycotted, Fifa said the 2018 tournament could be a "force for good".

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28508509

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-27

• Like 1

Of course Russia was involved. The reality based world knows that already. Putin the dictator just spreads distortions, denials, and lies. I totally agree, do not reward Russia with the World Cup. Sochi was bad enough, a Putin propaganda showcase that was rightly compared to Hitler's Berlin Olympics.

• Like 2

Shooting down a commercial jet is deplorable. Even so, Russia should not be deprived of hosting the WC. Boycott it if you want. A few decades ago, the US boycotted the Olympics in Moscow (for USSR invading Afghanistan), then 4 years later, the Russkies boycotted the Olympics in L.A. California. Tit for tat. The real losers were the general public who didn't get to see many great athletes compete against each other.

It's not the same thing. There is plenty of time to just move the venue of the World Cup to somewhere else. Russia just had another Olympics. That's enough for the time being.

I do not think the British Government should be dictating to it's various sports bodies to which events they should take part in.

But I do think the British Government has every right to withhold funding and any tax breaks they or other government funded organisations give, particularity regarding the British tax payers funding given towards the "England 2018" bid that seems to have been already decided by corruption within FIFA.

I seriously doubt they will change the Russian world cup for any reason other than all out war especially with the issues FIFA are facing with the supposed Qatar world cup in 2022 which may well have to be changed due to 50 degree Celsius heat.

Maybe they will build air conditioned stadiums to get around the problem.

Also they start building stadiums, etc for these events as soon as they win it. They're already building in Qatar for 2022, this would open FIFA up to serious liability issues.

Nick Clegg if he's lucky will be a regular MP by the time the Russian world cup comes around so perhaps he should keep his mouth shut as he will almost certainly have no say in whatever happens in four years time.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

I seriously doubt they will change the Russian world cup for any reason other than all out war especially with the issues FIFA are facing with the supposed Qatar world cup in 2022 which may well have to be changed due to 50 degree Celsius heat.

Also they start building stadiums, etc for these events as soon as they win it. They're already building in Qatar for 2022, this would open FIFA up to serious liability issues.

Nick Clegg if he's lucky will be a regular MP by the time the Russian world cup comes around so perhaps he should keep his mouth shut as he will almost certainly have no say in whatever happens in four years time.

I won't be going to the World Cup in Russia - not for all the vodka in Moscow. Russia's idea of a "party atmosphere" probably means the KGB reading tracts from Lenin while we stand to attention.

Qatar - well, what a success that will be. 50 temps every day. FIFA seem happy to ignore their own "Go Green" message and allow Qatar to air condition everything. Then people can die from the heat while they wait to get in rather than inside the stadiums. Or, as Blatter now wants, stuff up the football schedules in every country in the world so that the Qatar World Cup is on when it's a little cooler in January. I would love to know what the plans are the usual "No booze allowed" in Qatar (I suspect they'll have to get rid of that one). There will be no eye candy parading in halter tops and bikinis. (Won't get rid of that one. The cameramen will have to make do with babes in burqas).

How on earth they FIFA justified the vote for Qatar - even without the recent Times expose - I can't comprehend.

Edited by CBR250
  • Like 1

I agree boycott Russia, and the FIFA for dealing with putin

What about the WC after that in Qatar?

We know they harbour and support Hamas, assist with money to supply rockets and arms, which lead to the deaths of thousands of innocent people. I say the WC should not be held in Qatar either, if Russia is denied.

• Like 1

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_FIFA

President of FIFA. Sepp Blatter, the current President of FIFA. Incumbent Sepp Blatter since June 8 ... Salary, 5-7 million dollars (2010)

If anything Nick Clegg should be calling for the resignation of Sepp Blatter coffee1.gif

The country without sin...which has clean hands...please do cast the first stone at the Russians...hype and propaganda is what is called NEWS these days...the truth is illusive and often discarded...if it does not fit a Gov'ts agenda...

• Like 2

Of course Russia was involved. The reality based world knows that already. Putin the dictator just spreads distortions, denials, and lies. I totally agree, do not reward Russia with the World Cup. Sochi was bad enough, a Putin propaganda showcase that was rightly compared to Hitler's Berlin Olympics.

I think that comment was a little over the top. No doubt Putin is a bad man. No doubt he is up to no good. No doubt he does not harbor benevolent feelings towards most of the world. No doubt he is fabulously corrupt, and makes Ferdinand Marcos look like a saint. His $70,000,000,000 fortune proves that. And no doubt his background makes him a dangerous man. But, does he have aspirations to follow in the footsteps of Hitler, or Stalin? I doubt that. The problem with comparisons like these, is that they blur the line between being plain old bad, and super evil. There is a big difference between supporting the Ukrainian rebels, and starting a small war in Georgia, and trying to take over the world, exterminating millions in the process, as Atrocious Adolf did. A world of difference. Putin may be a liar and a thief, but is he the murderous villain you make him out to be? I am no fan of King Vlad. But, I am simply making a distinction here. Words are powerful things.

• Like 1

Would you believe anything Nick Clegg says?

Nick Clegg is a career politician who has never had a real job, a self serving EU loving man with no substance in debate except sound bites...he hasn't even got the decency to look the other man in the eye whilst debating with him.

I think that comment was a little over the top. No doubt Putin is a bad man. No doubt he is up to no good. No doubt he does not harbor benevolent feelings towards most of the world. No doubt he is fabulously corrupt, and makes Ferdinand Marcos look like a saint. His $70,000,000,000 fortune proves that. And no doubt his background makes him a dangerous man. But, does he have aspirations to follow in the footsteps of Hitler, or Stalin? I doubt that. The problem with comparisons like these, is that they blur the line between being plain old bad, and super evil. There is a big difference between supporting the Ukrainian rebels, and starting a small war in Georgia, and trying to take over the world, exterminating millions in the process, as Atrocious Adolf did. A world of difference. Putin may be a liar and a thief, but is he the murderous villain you make him out to be? I am no fan of King Vlad. But, I am simply making a distinction here. Words are powerful things.

You exaggerate greatly, dude.

I never said Putin was or will be as bad as Hitler.

If you read it that way, that's on you, not me.

What I was commenting on was how Putin used Sochi as a revisionist history propaganda show that many observers agree had parellels to the Berlin Olympics.

What I was commenting on was how Putin used Sochi as a revisionist history propaganda show that many observers agree had parellels to the Berlin Olympics.

From what I remember the winter games passed without incident and bore no resemblance to the hysterical rants and ramblings the anti Putin/Russian brigade were spouting before the games took place.

I will ignore the "revisionist history propaganda" part of your post, other than to say your paranoia is showing.

• Like 2

From what I remember the winter games passed without incident and bore no resemblance to the hysterical rants and ramblings the anti Putin/Russian brigade were spouting before the games took place.

I will ignore the "revisionist history propaganda" part of your post, other than to say your paranoia is showing.

Quite right.

The paranoia is nearly as evident as the anti-Russian hatred and Israeli propaganda.

Olympics-Shmolympics... Too far-fetched I say. Sanction Chelsea NOW because its owner Roman Abramovich is a Russian-Jewish oligarch from Putin's secret inner circle and Mr. Poo definitely has his share of Chelsea proceeds. I've no doubt that mainstream Western media will have no problem finding facts thereof. Or maybe not. After all who needs facts? I am surprised that until now nobody mentioned that Putin eats new-born babies for breakfast and is responsible for the 2004 Tsunami and the 2011 Fukushima earthquake.

Economic sanctions are to modern statecraft what mounted lancers were to war in the trenches: magnificent but useless. Their continued deployment defies study after study showing them as cosmetic, cruel or counterproductive. Yet how many times has Cameron emerged from his Cobra bunker to threaten “tighter economic sanctions” against some rogue regime, to absolutely no effect? The rhetoric is always the same, to “send a message”, show resolve, impose a price, not to let “wrongdoing go unpunished”. It is as if Britain were some superannuated school prefect.

The emergence in Moscow in the 1990s of a tough, philistine nationalist like Putin was a near certainty. He may be a nasty piece of work but he runs what it is still a powerful nation. Mocking his pride and testing his paranoia is for fools. Full article from The Guardian by Simon Jenkins,