Lanna T'ai - What's in the name?

CMHomeboy78

Many more.

Not sure you guys seen this book?

I just picked it up.
Seems to confirm there were some peoples in this region for thousands of years whether going by the name Thai or Lanna or what ever; as I suspected; what's in a name?. A period of time and association, influenced by other periods of time and their associations with other peoples and their periods of time etc etc , the complex web and cycles of the world.

Did you hear of the legendary Suthep?
Who apparently founded Lamphun around the year 750; and had his domicile on Doi Suthep- the doi suthep we all see everyday - this is where it got it's name apparently.

Really good book this.
From prehistory ; home erectus population up to a million years ago through to moving to agriculture rather than hunting and gathering (12-6000 bc) to the start of metal age 600bc. Good read. Only just at the beginning.
Recommend you go and pick up a copy.
[attachment=277440:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1406824733.387600.jpg]

Keeps going up to present. This just where I got to.
I won't clutter up the thread further on this. Just leave it here for you guys who interested to take a look yourselves.
Good evening
  • Like 1

Really good book this.
From prehistory ; home erectus population up to a million years ago through to moving to agriculture rather than hunting and gathering (12-6000 bc) to the start of metal age 600bc. Good read. Only just at the beginning.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1406824733.387600.jpg

Will you please tell me where in Chiang Mai you bought this book.

I don't remember.
Sorry
It's published by Silkworm Books.

Really good book this.

Really good book this.

Suriwongs might have it, they often do.

Otherwise, go direct to the publisher:  Silkworm Books.  6 Sukkasem,  T. Suthep.  It's on a soi off Nimblehymen...easy to find, courteous and efficient people to deal with, and everything seems to be in stock.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

Did you hear of the legendary Suthep?
Who apparently founded Lamphun around the year 750; and had his domicile on Doi Suthep- the doi suthep we all see everyday - this is where it got it's name apparently.

You might be interested in this account of how Doi Suthep got its name:

Lawa Guardian Spirits of Chiang Mai. By Krisri Nimmanhaeminda.

Journal of the Siam Society. Vol. 55. 1967. PDF file.

This legend was vaguely familiar to me, but the JSS article provides a wealth of information and details that include traditional stories about Queen Chamadevi of Haripunchai [Lamphun], and King Mengrai of Chiang Mai, and their relations with the Lawa who pre-dated the T'ai in this area.

According to folklore, Pu Sae, Ya Sae, and their son Sudeva Rikshi were Lawas with a propensity for cannibalism until they met the Buddha near what is now Mae Rim.  After trying to make a meal of him, they were converted to Buddhism, and their son Sudeva became a monk living on the mountain that now bears his name, Doi Suthep.

The legend has it that from that time onward the Lawa people gave up cannibalism and began to be assimilated ; first with the Mons to the south - with whom they are distantly related - then with the T'ai, who later started coming down from the north.

The father, the mother, and the son, as a trinity of spirits have been venerated by both T'ais and Lawas ever since.  There is an annual festival at Wat Doi Kham that includes the sacrifice of a Kwai. People with a bias against animism often point out that they are given propitiatory offerings out of fear that they might revert to cannibalism. No doubt there is some truth in that; done on the principal that it's a good idea to cover all the bases.

It's all part of what Chiang Mai and Lanna T'ai have been, and still are.

• Like 1