Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Can you elaborate how you found the card useful which exceeded your expectations? In my opinion, I don't really see any advantage of having it comparing a normal driving license

That the card can be used as an acceptable form of ID in Thailand isn’t surprising. For day to day things that require ID like checking into a hotel, boarding a domestic flight or simple bank transactions I agree, a driving licence will be fine. But for any kind of government business or banking procedures such as opening a new account, for a foreigner that means a combination of passport, work permit, proof of residence etc.

But because as a PR you already have your name listed in a blue Tabien Ban (TR14), once you have an ID card as well you now have the same type of identification as a Thai citizen and in most situations that require proper ID, get treated the same as one. It has been quite surprising to me that though I would imagine not many clerks etc. would have seen a PR’s ID card before they intuitively know how to deal with it. When they are entering data into e.g. a bank computer terminal, there is a field for ID card and for Tabien Ban and once those are filled they’re done, rather than fumbling through a Passport, Residence Certificate, Alien Certificate and Work Permit and making copious copies of them all but not really knowing how to deal with them.

I have gradually been changing my registered ID over from Passport/WP to ID card/Tabien Ban for bank accounts, credit cards and various company documents. So far I have been able to;

Register a vehicle in my name at the Dept of Land Transportation with just copies of ID & Tabien Ban, not the originals since I didn’t go myself. My office messenger did that without any queries. Any foreigner that has done this before knows what a pain the DLT can be.

Open a new bank account. Used only the ID card and a copy of Tabien Ban.

Transfer land at the Land Department as a company director. Previously this has been quite a time consuming process requiring copies of everything with the officer constantly querying the boss as to what I was qualified to sign. This time no issues at all and most surprisingly they didn’t ask for my Work Permit. Tabien Ban & ID card was the only ID presented.

Make a substantial cash withdrawal from a branch that I’ve never been to before. The only ID I had was the pink ID card.

I’m not quite sure why so many people on this forum are so sceptical about the ID card for Permanent Residents. For me, it really has made my life easier. In fact though I’ve only had PR since last October, it’s the biggest tangible benefit of PR that I have noticed. I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t want it.

Your not listed in any blue book just the farang yellow on t.m.13

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I tried hard. The top person in the local office explained me that he understand by law I should have it, but it is intended for Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians only. As per him there are people with PR living in Thailand for past 20-30 years and they don't posses it. I would have insisted and got it but I gave him face and save him trouble (He would have to get cards from somewhere) . As for convenience I keep a photocopy of page (having my personal details) in PR book. So far I have not missed pink i.d. card. However this way officers became known to me and would be easy to deal with for any help needed in future.

Honestly I can't understand why you are so generous with this guy. He won't even help you by doing his job as a government employee as he is required to do by law. So what use will he ever be in the future? I know it isn't easy as a foreigner to throw your weight around in a government office so you may need the assistance of a Thai that is knowledgeable and confident enough to stand up to him. You had to jump through a lot of hoops, wait far too long and pay a considerable amount of money to get PR which in the end gives you precious few entitlements. So when one of those entitlements (in fact requirements) is denied I think you should scream blue murder.

I got the same reaction from my local office but my wife was with me and when the boss tried to brush it off she showed all the relevant documents that prove they are required to issue this card and said something to the effect of "it's the law so please do it. If there is a problem further up the chain of command please tell me where and I will contact them. I will not give up". It took some time but eventually the call came saying come and get your card.

I think they're just lazy and don't care. Only when you make it harder for them not to do something than to do it will you see action.

On a more positive note the card is actually very useful. Much more than I originally thought it would be.

Please send (or link to) the relevant documents that prove that they have to issue the pink ID.

There was something about the pink ID (including a sample copy) in this thread earlier, but I cannot find it in the over 2,100 posts. Should a new thread be opened, named "Pink ID"?

I tried hard. The top person in the local office explained me that he understand by law I should have it, but it is intended for Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians only. As per him there are people with PR living in Thailand for past 20-30 years and they don't posses it.  I would have insisted and got it but I gave him face and save him trouble (He would have to get cards from somewhere) . As for convenience I keep a photocopy of page (having my personal details) in PR book. So far I have not missed pink i.d. card. However this way officers became known to me and would be easy to deal with for any help needed in future.

Honestly I can't understand why you are so generous with this guy. He won't even help you by doing his job as a government employee as he is required to do by law. So what use will he ever be in the future? I know it isn't easy as a foreigner to throw your weight around in a government office so you may need the assistance of a Thai that is knowledgeable and confident enough to stand up to him. You had to jump through a lot of hoops, wait far too long and pay a considerable amount of money to get PR which in the end gives you precious few entitlements. So when one of those entitlements (in fact requirements) is denied I think you should scream blue murder.

I got the same reaction from my local office but my wife was with me and when the boss tried to brush it off she showed all the relevant documents that prove they are required to issue this card and said something to the effect of "it's the law so please do it. If there is a problem further up the chain of command please tell me where and I will contact them. I will not give up". It took some time but eventually the call came saying come and get your card.

I think they're just lazy and don't care. Only when you make it harder for them not to do something than to do it will you see action.

On a more positive note the card is actually very useful. Much more than I originally thought it would be.

Please send (or link to) the relevant documents that prove that they have to issue the pink ID.

There was something about the pink ID (including a sample copy)  in this thread earlier, but I cannot find it in the over 2,100 posts. Should a new thread be opened, named "Pink ID"?

No don't bother its plain and simple pink id card is for immigrant workers (burma, laos etc) my maid is from burma and explained it to me. I been to immigration and the um pur its simple just to keep tabs on those guys period... yes you can ask and maybe get one but its like having a l plate on your car :) learner lol

I tried hard. The top person in the local office explained me that he understand by law I should have it, but it is intended for Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians only. As per him there are people with PR living in Thailand for past 20-30 years and they don't posses it.  I would have insisted and got it but I gave him face and save him trouble (He would have to get cards from somewhere) . As for convenience I keep a photocopy of page (having my personal details) in PR book. So far I have not missed pink i.d. card. However this way officers became known to me and would be easy to deal with for any help needed in future.

Honestly I can't understand why you are so generous with this guy. He won't even help you by doing his job as a government employee as he is required to do by law. So what use will he ever be in the future? I know it isn't easy as a foreigner to throw your weight around in a government office so you may need the assistance of a Thai that is knowledgeable and confident enough to stand up to him. You had to jump through a lot of hoops, wait far too long and pay a considerable amount of money to get PR which in the end gives you precious few entitlements. So when one of those entitlements (in fact requirements) is denied I think you should scream blue murder.

There was something about the pink ID (including a sample copy)  in this thread earlier, but I cannot find it in the over 2,100 posts. Should a new thread be opened, named "Pink ID"?

No don't bother its plain and simple pink id card is for immigrant workers (burma, laos etc) my maid is from burma and explained it to me. I been to immigration and the um pur its simple just to keep tabs on those guys period... yes you can ask and maybe get one but its like having a l plate on your car :) learner lol

and yes prakret are happy to give me a pink id card I simply declined :)

Some interesting contributions on the pink ID card but although it has been issued to a few farang PR holders it's clearly not designed for that purpose whatever the law says.

I don't have any problems in keeping all my relevant documents in one place (eg for opening a bank a/c and am not sure why this is thought to be so arduous.

Anyway I'm glad that one or two have snagged a card and found it to be useful.And for the PR oldsters with plenty of time on their hands it's probably an interesting assignment.But frankly to me it seems a pointless waste of time.

Hello

Has there been any update on the PR application from 2009 Batch onwards as it seems the guys are not moving anything there at all, Is any one who is with the BOI companies check and push maybe this can help as last on this forum someone suggested their representation will put pressure!

Wish I was in Singapore or Hong Kong :( so much transperency there!

Can you elaborate how you found the card useful which exceeded your expectations? In my opinion, I don't really see any advantage of having it comparing a normal driving license

That the card can be used as an acceptable form of ID in Thailand isn’t surprising. For day to day things that require ID like checking into a hotel, boarding a domestic flight or simple bank transactions I agree, a driving licence will be fine. But for any kind of government business or banking procedures such as opening a new account, for a foreigner that means a combination of passport, work permit, proof of residence etc.

But because as a PR you already have your name listed in a blue Tabien Ban (TR14), once you have an ID card as well you now have the same type of identification as a Thai citizen and in most situations that require proper ID, get treated the same as one. It has been quite surprising to me that though I would imagine not many clerks etc. would have seen a PR’s ID card before they intuitively know how to deal with it. When they are entering data into e.g. a bank computer terminal, there is a field for ID card and for Tabien Ban and once those are filled they’re done, rather than fumbling through a Passport, Residence Certificate, Alien Certificate and Work Permit and making copious copies of them all but not really knowing how to deal with them.

I have gradually been changing my registered ID over from Passport/WP to ID card/Tabien Ban for bank accounts, credit cards and various company documents. So far I have been able to;

Register a vehicle in my name at the Dept of Land Transportation with just copies of ID & Tabien Ban, not the originals since I didn’t go myself. My office messenger did that without any queries. Any foreigner that has done this before knows what a pain the DLT can be.

Transfer land at the Land Department as a company director. Previously this has been quite a time consuming process requiring copies of everything with the officer constantly querying the boss as to what I was qualified to sign. This time no issues at all and most surprisingly they didn’t ask for my Work Permit. Tabien Ban & ID card was the only ID presented.

Make a substantial cash withdrawal from a branch that I’ve never been to before. The only ID I had was the pink ID card.

I’m not quite sure why so many people on this forum are so sceptical about the ID card for Permanent Residents. For me, it really has made my life easier. In fact though I’ve only had PR since last October, it’s the biggest tangible benefit of PR that I have noticed. I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t want it.

Many Valid Points indeed. Well explained. Now I can clearly see the benefit of having one. Thanks Dork

Register a vehicle in my name at the Dept of Land Transportation with just copies of ID & Tabien Ban, not the originals since I didn’t go myself. My office messenger did that without any queries. Any foreigner that has done this before knows what a pain the DLT can be.

Hi Dork,

your posts have been most helpful..thanks! This ID card is something I have been wanting from the beginning.....

Just a question (I am not able to DM for some reason), which you may know right off as you seem to be in the same situation....(I have a permanent residence booklet)

My TAXPAYER ID number is "0-XXXX-XXXXX-XX-X" (13 digits)

However, the ID number in my tabien baan blue book is: ""8-1007-XXXXX-XX-X" (13 digits)

I thought everything was supposed to be synced to one number....does this sound right to you? or is it supposed to be different numbers...

I would like to understand this before applying for an ID card at the local KHET (amphur/district) office in Bangkok (based on my permanent residence status).

many thanks!

Trajan

Hi Dork,

your posts have been most helpful..thanks! This ID card is something I have been wanting from the beginning.....

Just a question (I am not able to DM for some reason), which you may know right off as you seem to be in the same situation....(I have a permanent residence booklet)

However, the ID number in my tabien baan blue book is: ""8-1007-XXXXX-XX-X" (13 digits)

I thought everything was supposed to be synced to one number....does this sound right to you? or is it supposed to be different numbers...

I would like to understand this before applying for an ID card at the local KHET (amphur/district) office in Bangkok (based on my permanent residence status).

many thanks!

Trajan

You need to go to the revenue department and have your Tax ID number corrected as per your tabien baan blue book number. Take your Tabien baan, Red Alien Book and the another Blue book as well as the original Tax card and they will issue you a new Tax card with your new ID number consistent with your tabien baan.

• Like 1

I received the red "Alien" book and the certificate of residence last week.

Today I read on this forum that I should have an ID number which starts with 8 or 6. I checked both books and can't find any number that starts with 8 or 6.

I start to get confused and therefore I like to know on which document or page I can find this ID number (starts with 8 or 6)?

Why is this ID number so important and for what reason I need this number?

By the way, just now I found a number which starts with 8 on my house registration book (13 digits). Is this the ID number?

Your ID number will be issued by your district office when you apply for a blue tabian baan as a permanent resident. The number doesn't appear in your Residence Book or Alien Book, probably because they pre-date the system of tabian baans and ID cards, while government departments resist change and protect their turf. It will start with an 8 for PRs. 6 is for temporary residents with a yellow tabian baan. The reason this number is important is that it will be your permanent ID number. It will be your new tax ID number and will appear on your driving licence. If you ever upgrade to Thai citizenship, the same 8 prefix number will be your Thai ID number.

I have a permanent residence booklet

My TAXPAYER ID number is "0-XXXX-XXXXX-XX-X" (13 digits) (assigned to me by the Thai Revenue Dept)

However, the ID number in my tabien baan blue book is: ""8-1007-ZZZZZ-ZZ-Z" (13 digits) (assigned to me by the relevant District (Amphur/Khet) Office)

totally different numbers...could you kindly confirm where it is stated that the numbers must be the same? just for my piece of mind...

Edited by trajan

Hi Dork,

many thanks!

Trajan

You need to go to the revenue department and have your Tax ID number corrected as per your tabien baan blue book number. Take your Tabien baan, Red Alien Book and the another Blue book as well as the original Tax card and they will issue you a new Tax card with your new ID number consistent with your tabien baan.

Really? The Revenue Office said that it is not possible to change the taxpayer number (after the above explanation in Thai)....Im confused...

ist possible for foreign students apply thai PR ? and what will be the category ? smile.png

No, it is not possible, unless you have a Thai spouse that has enough income. Than you can apply with her/his income as basis.

But the process is based on the applicant being a credit to Thai society, which is for a large part determined by your occupation and income.

Been reading through his topic and the citizenship topic(s) with interest. The AngryParent topic did get frustrating.

I am considering going the PR way, although costly. I am not willing to lose my Norwegian citizenship. This is automatic by Norwegian law if you apply and receive another nationality.

I would apply based on family.

However, I don't participate in civil society, don't donate money to charities and such. We just keep to ourselves and our little company. My Thai is reasonable. I can converse, good pronunciation, but not really read except the province names on license plates and traffic signs. Been on extension since May 2011 and WP since August 2011. I could probably get some references from upstanding citizens, but not sure how much that helps.

On income I am guessing I should qualify, since my wife and I make the same salary as directors on our company.

Digging up my High School and Int'l Bacc diplomas should be doable. My CV looks alright.

However, I did not finish my Mech. Eng. education. Would that be a problem/show stopper?

If I qualify, when can I do this? This year or the next?

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Hi

I'm approaching the one year mark since I got PR, so need to renew my "re-exit permit" - ie the non-quota immigrant visa in my passport so I can come back into Thailand.

As I remember I can let it expire if I'm in the country, and go to Chaeng Wattana to get a new one when I need to leave the country. (as I travel a lot it will be a multiple entry one)

Does anyone know

a) what form(s) and documentation are needed (I seem to remember that when I got it I was told the re-exit visa was automatic but I presume there are still forms to fill in?)

B) is it fairly automatic/any hassles?

thanks

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need to submit both TM13 and TM22 (TM22 is attached here) tm22.pdf

I also need to go to CW for the same reason in the next couple of weeks Since I recall that it can take a few hours, does anyone know whether it is possible to go myself to submit the documents and do the thumbprint but then leave and send a messenger to collect my passport & residence certificate later?

• Like 1

Hi guys, I need some help here, I am a PR holder (class of 2006), I am changing all of my documentation, driving licence, tax ID and social security number to a single 13 digits, as assigned in my blue thabian baan, (starting by 8), today I have been to social security office (prakan sankhom), I wanted to change the number at the top of social security card ( starting by 6 to the new assigned number starting by 8), but I encountered the same old problem " MAI DAI", the staff on duty told me that its only possible if I have changed my nationality, I am well aware that its not true, but I need to prove it old way, so I need a documentation proof regarding prakan sangkhom.

I need the link to proper law regarding prakan sankhom for PR holders.

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

I have the a number starting with a 6 on my SS card, even though I only entered system several years after I became a PR. I am not quite sure why this happened but suspect that my company failed to submit my complete details when they enrolled me in the SS system. Over a year after I had started working there the HR dept asked me for my tax ID, despite having a copy of my blue tabien baan. So that figures.

The day of reckoning for British holders of Thai PR is now at hand, as hinted in this bizarrely worded notice flagged in another thread.

For those puzzled by this which should be just about everyone who doesn't either have telepathic powers this means that Immigration has finally decided to knuckle down and accept the Ministry of Foreign Affairs directive of 5 or 6 years ago to stop referring to British citizens as "angrit" in Thai and call them "britis". This comes a mere 299 years after the Union of the Crowns of England and Scotland and almost on the eve of next year's Bannockburn millenium referendum which may see the two crowns cast asunder once more and might require Scots to change their nationalities yet again and possibly the MoFA will be so confused they will issue a new directive ordering the use of "angrit" again.

I went through this miserable process 3 years ago in order to apply for Thai citizenship because it was unacceptable to have two nationalities: angrit and britis, the latter having made a surprise appearance in my tabien baan. The whole process took 3 months involving several visits and calls to Immigration and the police station and a 1.5 hour interview at Immigration to re-verify all my personal details. The Labour Ministry was the easiest, making the change on the spot in my WP. I hope they have streamlined the process at Immigration by now. If you need to make the change in your tabien baan, this can be a pain, if you have moved because you will have to go back to the DO that issued your original tabien baan and get notarised copies of all the forms and docs you submitted when you applied for your original tabien baan. Have fun.

Thai Immigration announcement to PR holders with British Colony passports

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau is announcing the following changes for PR holders with British Colony passports:

xan.jpg.pagespeed.ic.iTRKZ4wnbe.jpg

footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.1fzrZTJkPQ.gif

Ok.

Can anybody guess/explain what this means in practical terms?

My attempt at interpretation, based on Arkady's helpful post and the incomprehensible official announcement is:

1. We (ALL UK passport holders with PR) must now be called 'Britis' and not 'Angrit' in the official documents.

2. All of the official documentation, E.g. PR Book, Police Book and Tabian Ban must be aligned to show this, if it doesn't already.

3. To do 2 is a royal pain in the a*** according to Arkady!

Can anybody confirm, correct, or add anything?

It would be great is somebody going to CW to get a new re-entry maybe could ask for some clarification?

Yours, even more confused than normal,

Stbkk

Ok.

Can anybody guess/explain what this means in practical terms?

My attempt at interpretation, based on Arkady's helpful post and the incomprehensible official announcement is:

1. We (ALL UK passport holders with PR) must now be called 'Britis' and not 'Angrit' in the official documents.

2. All of the official documentation, E.g. PR Book, Police Book and Tabian Ban must be aligned to show this, if it doesn't already.

3. To do 2 is a royal pain in the a*** according to Arkady!

Can anybody confirm, correct, or add anything?

It would be great is somebody going to CW to get a new re-entry maybe could ask for some clarification?

Yours, even more confused than normal,

Stbkk

I expect that Immigration has been filling in "britis" for new PRs for the last couple of years. So this might only affect people who got their PR before a certain date. For those who are still "angrit" there is probably no rush but they will certainly make you do it the next time you want your endorsement and re-entry permit. Be careful if you need to travel because they might hang on to your docs for a few days.

Certainly all tabien baans issued in the last few years will be for britisers because the software can't deal with angrit any more. As for work permits I don't think it matters much, although it is very quick to get that done. I would wait for the next renewal, unless you need to fix it to apply for citizenship.

The wording of the Immigration notice is mind boggling and no doubt this gibberish was written by a police colonel who is so confident of his English that he didn't ask anyone to check it for him. There is absolutely no way anyone could hope to understood him meaning unless they had prior knowledge of the procedure. Sad.

My entry on the tabien baan says British since only done recently.However I'm wondering whether for long established PRs the old style entry needs in practice to be updated because the tabien baan isnt needed for the endorsement and re-entry permit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My entry on the tabien baan says British since only done recently.However I'm wondering whether for long established PRs the old style entry needs in practice to be updated because the tabien baan isnt needed for the endorsement and re-entry permit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They might be told to get it changed when their residence book is full of stamps and they apply for a new one which requires a tabien baan. If you have to get it done, it is not too troublesome, as long as you still reside in the same district that issued the original one. They won't re-issue it but scrawl over it in red ink instead, a process which needs to be repeated, if you become Thai. And don't forget to get your parents' nationalities changed too, if they are also recorded in the tabien baan as angrit.