Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I am planning to proceed further after receiving my PR and trying to collect as much information I can,

PR was issued from CW Bangkok

Red Police Book from Nakhon Ratchsima

Blue Thabian Baan From Nakhon Ratchsima

Work Permit From Bangkok

Although I have registered my self in Nakhon Ratchsima but I am living and working in Bangkok, if I decide to apply for citizenship where it will be? Bangkok or Nakhon Ratchsima?

I am planning to proceed further after receiving my PR and trying to collect as much information I can,

Work Permit From Bangkok

Although I have registered my self in Nakhon Ratchsima but I am living and working in Bangkok, if I decide to apply for citizenship where it will be? Bangkok or Nakhon Ratchsima?

If you apply for citizenship it is based on the Blue Thabian Baan, so in your case it has to be Nakhon Ratchsima. However it might be a good idea that you transfer your Thabian Baan to Bangkok and then apply in Bangkok. This is simply since at NR might not be well equipped to handle the Citizenship applications and it might waste time, a lot of time. I suggest you visit NR Police station and do an initial survey and take a call accordingly.

I would say that it depends on where you are registered according to your Blue Thabian Baan (blue book). But as you are living in Bangkok, there would be no harm in popping down to Special Branch to confirm this. They are quite friendly and helpful.

As Tamvine notes above, it would probably be much easier to do in Bangkok, but then it would depend on whether there is a blue book for you to enter here. You cannot transfer the blue book to another place as the book is tied to the building/home not the individual. As such, you would need to transfer to someone else's blue book in BKK, unless you own a condo here, in which case you could get a book for the condo and enter that one.

FYI not all owners of buildings can be bothered to record their tenants in their blue books. A problem I faced until I bought a home in my son's name.

Edited by GarryP

Work Permit From Bangkok

To keep this about PR only, your question is best asked here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-Citizenship-Applicatio-t121353.html

Work Permit From Bangkok

To keep this about PR only, your question is best asked here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-Citizenship-Applicatio-t121353.html

Acknowledged, Thanks.

The day of reckoning for British holders of Thai PR is now at hand, as hinted in this bizarrely worded notice flagged in another thread.

For those puzzled by this which should be just about everyone who doesn't either have telepathic powers this means that Immigration has finally decided to knuckle down and accept the Ministry of Foreign Affairs directive of 5 or 6 years ago to stop referring to British citizens as "angrit" in Thai and call them "britis".  This comes a mere 299 years after the Union of the Crowns of England and Scotland and almost on the eve of next year's Bannockburn millenium referendum which may see the two crowns cast asunder once more and might require Scots to change their nationalities yet again and possibly the MoFA will be so confused they will issue a new directive ordering the use of "angrit" again.

I went through this miserable process 3 years ago in order to apply for Thai citizenship because it was unacceptable to have two nationalities: angrit and britis, the latter having made a surprise appearance in my tabien baan.   The whole process took 3 months involving several visits and calls to Immigration and the police station and a 1.5 hour interview at Immigration to re-verify all my personal details.   The Labour Ministry was the easiest, making the change on the spot in my WP. I hope they have streamlined the process at Immigration by now.  If you need to make the change in your tabien baan, this can be a pain, if you have moved because you will have to go back to the DO that issued your original tabien baan and get notarised copies of all the forms and docs you submitted when you applied for your original tabien baan.  Have fun.  

Thai Immigration announcement to PR holders with British Colony passports

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau is announcing the following changes for PR holders with British Colony passports:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just checked my documents and found that my nationality is britis in all books the blue and red and on the tabien ban however the blue and red book have my race as angrit.

So nationality all britis but race says angrit does this mean I have to have my race changed to britis now ?

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And if I have to make a change to my race does immigration division 1 make the changes in both alien reg cert and certificate of residence or do you have to also visit the local police station and would that be at present location or where it was issued ?

And if I have to make a change to my race does immigration division 1 make the changes in both alien reg cert and certificate of residence or do you have to also visit the local police station and would that be at present location or where it was issued ?

No need. When I went through the process to change nationality they left the "race" as angrit. "Cheuachart' in this context doesn't have quite the same connotation as "race" in English. If it did, the answer would be Caucasian in most cases but they don't use that type of racial classification at all.

For those that do need to change nationality to britis, you need to change it in your residence book first. Then Immigration takes your alien book and sends it off with a covering letter to your local police station where it somehow arrives about 3 weeks later. The police will then write up a few pages of remarks in the alien book and alter your nationality. There is no need to involve the cop shop that issued the original alien book, if you have moved. This complication does, however, arise if you have to change nationality in your tabien baan and you have moved. You need to get photocopies of all the application data submitted when you applied for your original tabian baan from the district office that issued it - a right royal pain.

• 2 weeks later...

My residence book is full of stamps and I need to get a new one. What dokuments are required? Can I do this at Chaeng Wattana?

Yes at CW. Passport, residence book, alien book and tabien baan, photographs, completed application form (available online) and some of the folding stuff for the fee. It takes a few days for a new book. You can either have the old re-entry permit transferred over or, if it is close to expiry, you can get a new 12 month one and new 12 month visa in your passport. The choice is yours.

Hello Again

Just repeating the same line posted earlier we have not heard anything for the PR status for 2009 batch as calls have been futile to them. Appreciate any of our members having spoken to the CW guys on this impending issues give a update on this forum!

Hello Again

Just repeating the same line posted earlier we have not heard anything for the PR status for 2009 batch as calls have been futile to them. Appreciate any of our members having spoken to the CW guys on this impending issues give a update on this forum!

Some of us applied in 2006 and get approval in 2012, the street situation during this period was similar as now, MOI will be busier than ever in issues other than the PR applications, keep your patience and good luck.

Hello Again

I can sympathise with you because I was in the same boat as skyaslimit. Once your application is stuck in a pile at the Interior Ministry the PR officers at CW simply don't know when they're going to be signed. You can ask them but you will just get generic answers like "should be soon" or a shrug of the shoulders. They probably find it a bit frustrating too.

If you're worried about missing the approval letter, it's a good idea to subscribe to this thread because you can be sure it will suddenly come alive once those letters start going out.

Hello Again

I can sympathise with you because I was in the same boat as skyaslimit. Once your application is stuck in a pile at the Interior Ministry the PR officers at CW simply don't know when they're going to be signed. You can ask them but you will just get generic answers like "should be soon" or a shrug of the shoulders. They probably find it a bit frustrating too.

If you're worried about missing the approval letter, it's a good idea to subscribe to this thread because you can be sure it will suddenly come alive once those letters start going out.

Thanks Skyaslimit and Dork indeed generic answers all around and they do get irritated also if you persist with investigative questions! Hoping for the the best and yes have been logging into this page often to check out for the pleasant surprise to happen :)

Take care guys!

Hello Again

Some of us applied in 2006 and get approval in 2012, the street situation during this period was similar as now, MOI will be busier than ever in issues other than the PR applications, keep your patience and good luck.

The minister has reportedly been busy with the Amnesty Bill fiasco but none of this affects the section that deals with PR and citizenship in the Department of Provincial Administration. Applications have been approved in turbulent times before. Mine was approved by Banharn just after he had been ousted as PM and IM and was a caretaker for two weeks. Where there's a will there's a way.

Wise gentlemen (and ladies of course!):

A quick question about renewing my red book ('alien registration'). My 5 years is coming up soon. My tabien baan is in Ubon, and I got my 5 years out in Ubon. Does anybody know if I can renew at my local police station here in Bangkok? Or do I have to go back to the police in Ubon? If I do have to do it in Ubon, has anybody ever done it by mail? Trying to save myself a trip out there.

Your thoughts are much appreciated, as usual.

My residence book is full of stamps and I need to get a new one. What dokuments are required? Can I do this at Chaeng Wattana?

Yes at CW. Passport, residence book, alien book and tabien baan, photographs, completed application form (available online) and some of the folding stuff for the fee. It takes a few days for a new book. You can either have the old re-entry permit transferred over or, if it is close to expiry, you can get a new 12 month one and new 12 month visa in your passport. The choice is yours.

Slightly incorrect.

I was at CW this week for a new residence book. This will take 4 days to process.

They will NOT transfer the old re-entry permit to the new book, and have told me I must apply and pay for a new one for 12 months.

Not sure what my docs in relation to Brit or Angkrit, because they have kept them, and I am currently without any ID.

A quick question about renewing my red book ('alien registration'). My 5 years is coming up soon. My tabien baan is in Ubon, and I got my 5 years out in Ubon. Does anybody know if I can renew at my local police station here in Bangkok? Or do I have to go back to the police in Ubon? If I do have to do it in Ubon, has anybody ever done it by mail? Trying to save myself a trip out there.

My red book -alien registration - is full.

Local Police station cannot help, nor can the Buriram Provincial Police Station assist.

I have time, but need to know where to obtain a new book.

Can anyone help?...Original book obtained in Banglamung.

My red book -alien registration - is full.

Local Police station cannot help, nor can the Buriram Provincial Police Station assist.

I have time, but need to know where to obtain a new book.

Can anyone help?...Original book obtained in Banglamung.

Did you both register your new address with your local Police Station within 7 days as per the pages at the back of your Red Book?

Caution No.3.......................

Win

Did you both register your new address with your local Police Station within 7 days as per the pages at the back of your Red Book?

Caution No.3.......................

Win

I did twice. Once when I received the PR and again when I moved to a new province

The 2nd time, Police had no idea what it was all about. Had to see the Police chief, and he just signed and stamped where I told him to. smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've renewed my marriage visa each year for 30 years. There are almost no benefits for me to have PR. Besides, all those documents! If my wife dies, I'll either get married again or apply for a retirement visa. It's so much easier.

• Like 1

I've renewed my marriage visa each year for 30 years. There are almost no benefits for me to have PR. Besides, all those documents! If my wife dies, I'll either get married again or apply for a retirement visa. It's so much easier.

I'm not going to get married, or re-married to just somebody, in order to stay here. The PR has the advantage that I can stay without being dependent on someone else.

And the retirement visa idea can be revoked at any time. They just created a scare a few days ago but back-paddled quickly.

It's great that you're happy with your status as a temporary resident but I think you missed a trick, if you've been in Thailand that long. You could have got PR much more easily and cheaply 20-30 years ago and could probably be a citizen by now. I am sure there will be the usual number of applicants this year. Each to his own.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I am PR holder since last year (lucky me) and I wish the best to all of you who are in the waiting room. My question: I need to sell my car. Does anyone know if as PR I still need a letter of residency from immigration/CW or the PR books can be enough to go to the Dept of Land and Transportation as proof of residency? Thanks in advance.