Thais advised to learn more about Asean countries

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember ever seeing a Thai read a book.

http://web.nso.go.th/en/survey/data_survey/570703_Surve_%20on_%20Reading_11.pdf

Executive summary The 2011 Surveyon Reading of Population The National Statistical Office conducted the 2011 survey on reading of population by collecting data during May June 2011 by interviewing of 53,000 sampled households.

Two posts above one inaccurate Thai bashing anecdotal evidence the other an accurate study by the NSO. Which do you think will get more likes?

Edited by thailiketoo

Can I suggest that the Thai Government, through their offices all over the country ,start using there Television sets that are consistently showing "Thai Sop Opera's" to educate their staff and customers about ASEAN and perhaps the English language. Perhaps to entertain a little they could also show some Thai history and nature programs as well ?

Yes, but there is only a small problem sad.png

Thai TV-channels are money orientated. Only if there would be a big demand for this kind of reports it would be worthwhile for advertising.

Can I suggest that the Thai Government, through their offices all over the country ,start using there Television sets that are consistently showing "Thai Sop Opera's" to educate their staff and customers about ASEAN and perhaps the English language. Perhaps to entertain a little they could also show some Thai history and nature programs as well ?

Yes, but there is only a small problem sad.png

Thai TV-channels are money orientated. Only if there would be a big demand for this kind of reports it would be worthwhile for advertising.

TrueVisions has advertising?

Wow, now it is official: Thailand has neighbors! We don't exactly know where but the first step is made.

Thais are taught about their neighbors and are very well aware of them. That's where they get all of the negative stereotypes from. Ask any Thai about Burmese or Khmer's. Lao and Thai are close to the same language and they all know that. There are many towns in Thailand where Khmer is also spoken like Surin and the surrounding countryside.

I invite you to ask my Thai neighbors which countries have a common border with Thailand, you may be in for a surprise...

Great idea notwithstanding the fact that ASEAN was inaugurated in the mid 1990's yet to date there seems to be blissful ignorance concerning the neighbouring countries,is this the result of a deliberate government policy or a failed inward looking xenophobic education system ?

All rather like standing on the platform at the railway station looking at the red light drawing away from you and thinking, ''I should have been on that train.''.

For example, thanaka, the yellow cosmetic paste widely used in Myanmar and touted by locals as a beauty secret - could be a subject for Thai research.

Yet again in the quote above we see vividly the Thai ideals and practices of imitation as opposed to innovation.

"Why don't we think about how to cooperate so that we can efficiently deal with the giants that are coming into the Asean region?" Pissanu said. With better research and better understanding of other Asean nations and the Asean community, Thais would change their mindset in a way that would usher Thailand better into the Asean era, he said.

Above in the quote there are five words that flummox the Thai's '' Think, co-operate, understand efficiently, research.''

Interesting times are approaching rapidly for Thailand and its membership of ASEAN.

Yes agreed , and the key word 'co-operate', well it dose'nt exsist here, its not in the Thai dictionary, oh sorry i don't think they have one.

To bring Thailand into the 20 th cent. let alone 21st will be an interesting task, theve lived in the bubble for too long ,evading the outside world for some strange reason .!

I had to laugh when I saw the topic.

Here on an English board where half the posters know nothing about the other countries. They think Thailand is the most corrupt and the drivers the worst also the Thais are not friendly.clap2.gif

Oh wise one: Teach us, enlighten us, share your knowledge with us. We are mere mortals. Don't judge us for we know not what we do. Edited by SABloke

Any kind of reasoning, analytical research or argument is not going to happen in Thai schools. My Thai mate in the UK has a restaurant and bases all of his decision for the restaurant based on the conversation he has with a wooden doll every morning. A bit like a Thai Keith Allen.

• Like 1

Travelling through Thailand with my mrs (Indonesian) they all try to speak thai to her, in the massage shops, food stalls, shops, markets and restaurants etc. We're talking the main tourist areas in Bangkok. Not ONE person she said 'sorry I'm Indonesian' knew where or what Indonesia was!! Just a blank stair. She learned Indonesia in thai was ' indonesi ', most still had a washed out look about them and yacked to each other in thai trying to figure out where or what indonesi was. Very shocking! Clearly not a lot of Indonesian tourists going to Bangkok, but still surprising. They all knew the UK though !

Travelling through Thailand with my mrs (Indonesian) they all try to speak thai to her, in the massage shops, food stalls, shops, markets and restaurants etc. We're talking the main tourist areas in Bangkok. Not ONE person she said 'sorry I'm Indonesian' knew where or what Indonesia was!! Just a blank stair. She learned Indonesia in thai was ' indonesi ', most still had a washed out look about them and yacked to each other in thai trying to figure out where or what indonesi was. Very shocking! Clearly not a lot of Indonesian tourists going to Bangkok, but still surprising. They all knew the UK though !

What is a washed out look?

When I was here in 1994 studying at Chiang Mai University, I was astonished to discover that foreign languages of Thailand's neighboring countries were not taught. No Burmese, no Khmer, no Malay, no Vietnamese, and not even Lao. That fact alone really opened my eyes to how insulated the mindset of Thailand was and remains today. How can this society be an active member of the world at large or even the region if the people are so uneducated and reluctant to learn about their next-door-neighbors!

I have a T-shirt with Khmer writing and I haven't met a single Thai yet who can recognise what language it is? Not the meaning just identifing what language it is which is shocking considering the Thai alphabet was probably derived from, or at least influenced by, the old Khmer alphabet

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Any kind of reasoning, analytical research or argument is not going to happen in Thai schools. My Thai mate in the UK has a restaurant and bases all of his decision for the restaurant based on the conversation he has with a wooden doll every morning. A bit like a Thai Keith Allen.

You wrote, "Any kind of reasoning, analytical research or argument is not going to happen in Thai schools"

Thailand has 197 institutions of higher learning. Of these, 76 are public (excluding universities for the religious training of monks). These 76 institutes can be categorized as 16 well established public universities, 2 open universities, 41 rajabhat universities, 9 universities of technology, 8 antonomous universities, 58 university extension campuses, 32 private universities, and 31 private colleges that offer bachelor programs.

The Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs in Thailand between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year.

But I'll bet you never graduated from college did you?

You wrote, "Any kind of reasoning, analytical research or argument is not going to happen in Thai schools"

Thailand has 197 institutions of higher learning. Of these, 76 are public (excluding universities for the religious training of monks). These 76 institutes can be categorized as 16 well established public universities, 2 open universities, 41 rajabhat universities, 9 universities of technology, 8 antonomous universities, 58 university extension campuses, 32 private universities, and 31 private colleges that offer bachelor programs.

The Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs in Thailand between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year.

But when it comes to university exams in Thailand I have heard so many times that many of these are based on simply ticking the box on multiple-choice questions? Correct me if I'm wrong .

Not even during my first year did we escape having to actually write lengthy answers to questions.Multiple-choice exam questions were not part of the system.

When I was here in 1994 studying at Chiang Mai University, I was astonished to discover that foreign languages of Thailand's neighboring countries were not taught. No Burmese, no Khmer, no Malay, no Vietnamese, and not even Lao. That fact alone really opened my eyes to how insulated the mindset of Thailand was and remains today. How can this society be an active member of the world at large or even the region if the people are so uneducated and reluctant to learn about their next-door-neighbors!

I have a T-shirt with Khmer writing and I haven't met a single Thai yet who can recognise what language it is? Not the meaning just identifing what language it is which is shocking considering the Thai alphabet was probably derived from, or at least influenced by, the old Khmer alphabet

Well you'd be wrong by about 1.4 million people speaking Khmer in Thailand.

Khmer language is the native of south east Asia along with Mon language.

Khmer was established 1300 years before Thai.

Thai language is created from Khmer language. Thai letters are 80% of Khmer letters. Thai vowels are 80% Khmer vowels. Thai numerals are 100% of Khmer numerals. The Mon-Khmer family is the native living in South East Asia.

But when it comes to university exams in Thailand I have heard so many times that many of these are based on simply ticking the box on multiple-choice questions? Correct me if I'm wrong .

Not even during my first year did we escape having to actually write lengthy answers to questions.Multiple-choice exam questions were not part of the system.

Ya those doctors and engineers and chemists and biologists, symphony conductors and the first violin player only have to tick boxes. Of course you are wrong. My wife has a degree in accounting she does not need calculator to add and subtract? Some material lends itself to multiple choice questions others to hands on training. A surgeon has to cut and a welder has to weld.

Edited by thailiketoo

Thai language is created from Khmer language. Thai letters are 80% of Khmer letters. Thai vowels are 80% Khmer vowels. Thai numerals are 100% of Khmer numerals. The Mon-Khmer family is the native living in South East Asia.

" Well you'd be wrong by about 1.4 million people speaking Khmer in Thailand. "

Well, I haven't met any of those 1.4 million people yet?blink.png

Every time i point to the words and ask people to identify what language it is they haven't got a clue?ermm.gif

Ya those doctors and engineers and chemists and biologists, symphony conductors and the first violin player only have to tick boxes. Of course you are wrong. My wife has a degree in accounting she does not need calculator to add and subtract? Some material lends itself to multiple choice questions others to hands on training. I surgeon has to cut and a welder has to weld.

" Of course you are wrong. "

see post # 18 in this thread below

The first couple of years a lot of the questions are multiple choice as you're doing courses taken by many students majoring in various subjects, for example, World History.

It's only 3 credits and the book is thick, covering history from the earliest civilizations to the twentieth century! One's first reaction is shock and awe, it's too much, but picking up the summary book and several years of exam papers you can soon narrow down the likely questions. I remember this exam distinctly, because of the 100 multiple choice questions, there was a row of about 15 questions that were exactly the same as in a previous year, and in exactly the same order, I kid you not!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/275042-ba-in-thai-language-at-a-thai-university/

" Well you'd be wrong by about 1.4 million people speaking Khmer in Thailand. "

Well, I haven't met any of those 1.4 million people yet?blink.png

Every time i point to the words and ask people to identify what language it is they haven't got a clue?ermm.gif

Go to Surin or any other town close to Cambodian border.

Thank for your comment.

The average Thai degree is about the same as A levels in the UK. They carry no weight at all. Without breaking any rules I'm sure you'll understand that questioning. analytical thought along with research is pretty basic because of the cultural restraints placed upon students. Without being too specific I'm sure you'll understand.

As for myself I have two UK degrees. One in mechanical engineering and the second in computing.

Thank for your comment.

The average Thai degree is about the same as A levels in the UK. They carry no weight at all. Without breaking any rules I'm sure you'll understand that questioning. analytical thought along with research is pretty basic because of the cultural restraints placed upon students. Without being too specific I'm sure you'll understand.

As for myself I have two UK degrees. One in mechanical engineering and the second in computing.

The average anything degree from anywhere is usually worthless unless it ...........

So how many years did you work in the Thai university system? Thailand graduates about 3000 doctors a year and they are far beyond UK A levels.

When I mentioned degrees I meant bachelors degrees and above. One of the reasons that Thailand is head and shoulders above it's neighbors is medical care and infrastructure in general; both maintained by graduates of the Thai education system. I'm sure Thailand could do better but as of now it is way ahead of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia it's closest neighbors in Asean.

Ya those doctors and engineers and chemists and biologists, symphony conductors and the first violin player only have to tick boxes. Of course you are wrong. My wife has a degree in accounting she does not need calculator to add and subtract? Some material lends itself to multiple choice questions others to hands on training. I surgeon has to cut and a welder has to weld.

" Of course you are wrong. "

see post # 18 in this thread below

The first couple of years a lot of the questions are multiple choice as you're doing courses taken by many students majoring in various subjects, for example, World History.

It's only 3 credits and the book is thick, covering history from the earliest civilizations to the twentieth century! One's first reaction is shock and awe, it's too much, but picking up the summary book and several years of exam papers you can soon narrow down the likely questions. I remember this exam distinctly, because of the 100 multiple choice questions, there was a row of about 15 questions that were exactly the same as in a previous year, and in exactly the same order, I kid you not!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/275042-ba-in-thai-language-at-a-thai-university/

What, did you think I would not read your link? From your link "But by the third year you're doing papers that require written answers, there's no more summary books or previous exam papers as the papers are not multiple choice"