You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Returning to the UK and the NHS

In most cases, a person will get treatment on the NHS at no charge however you will have to have a UK address.

HM Gov are supposed to be changing the system so that non UK citizens are charged.

My opinion is that if you have not paid in, then you should not get free treatment. But if you have lived, worked and paid national insurance for 40 years then treatment

should always be free.

What about all these foreigners from the EU country's coming in not paid a cent and get free treatment and all allowances. You have a UK passport and born in UK you should get all the benefits.

Because they reside in an eu country

Yes it works both ways due to reciprocal agreements although I think there's a problem with Spain for some reason I can't remember.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This issue, understandably, comes up on a regular basis, a good source of information is the Citizens Advice Website charges for people from abroad

These are a few of the relevant points:

Some hospital treatment is free of charge for everyone who needs it, regardless of how long they have been or intend to stay in the UK. This is:-

• treatment for accidents and emergencies as an outpatient in a hospital’s accident and emergency department. In England and Wales, emergency treatment in a walk-in centre is also free of charge. However, if you are referred to an outpatient clinic or admitted to hospital from an accident and emergency department, you will be charged

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-

have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse

Visitors who can sometimes receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

You are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if you are one of the following people and fall ill during your visit. You are not entitled to routine treatment for a pre-existing condition.

• If you get a UK state retirement pension or another state benefit and normally live in a non-EEA country. You must have lived lawfully in the UK for at least ten years continuously in the past, or worked for the UK government for at least ten years continuously. Your spouse, civil partner and dependent children are also entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if they fall ill. They must be living with you throughout your stay in the UK

At last some true facts! If you have been living abroad you do not qualify for anything other than emergency treatment when visiting but as a UK citizen you are entitled to return to the UK at anytime and take up residency. This then immediately qualifies you for full NHS treatment - no such thing as 6 month rule (urban myth). So you just tell them you used to live abroad but live here now. So we can all return to the UK if we become seriously ill and enjoy the service we contributed to (47 years in my case).

PS we currently reside in the UK and my Thai wife has full access to the NHS and has never contributed a penny so please don't feel guilty if you've been away a long time.

Edited by Jaggg88

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This issue, understandably, comes up on a regular basis, a good source of information is the Citizens Advice Website charges for people from abroad

These are a few of the relevant points:

Some hospital treatment is free of charge for everyone who needs it, regardless of how long they have been or intend to stay in the UK. This is:-

• treatment for accidents and emergencies as an outpatient in a hospital’s accident and emergency department. In England and Wales, emergency treatment in a walk-in centre is also free of charge. However, if you are referred to an outpatient clinic or admitted to hospital from an accident and emergency department, you will be charged

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-

have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse

Visitors who can sometimes receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

You are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if you are one of the following people and fall ill during your visit. You are not entitled to routine treatment for a pre-existing condition.

• If you get a UK state retirement pension or another state benefit and normally live in a non-EEA country. You must have lived lawfully in the UK for at least ten years continuously in the past, or worked for the UK government for at least ten years continuously. Your spouse, civil partner and dependent children are also entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if they fall ill. They must be living with you throughout your stay in the UK

At last some true facts! If you have been living abroad you do not qualify for anything other than emergency treatment when visiting but as a UK citizen you are entitled to return to the UK at anytime and take up residency. This then immediately qualifies you for full NHS treatment - no such thing as 6 month rule (urban myth). So you just tell them you used to live abroad but live here now. So we can all return to the UK if we become seriously ill and enjoy the service we contributed to (47 years in my case).

That's right we haven't emigrated to Thailand, we have just been guests.

UK is our home country and that's all they need to know.

You knew I would be here and if you go back to UK and want NHS treatment just fall down and lay in the uk terminal when you arrive and a NHS ambulance will come and get you.

Thailand for me is very cheap for health care.biggrin.png

I know you're here most, if not all the time Mr K biggrin.png

A nice bit of acting at the terminal might be a bit premature.

Possibly get through customs first then declare your ailments to the world and those around you thumbsup.gif

Thailand is very cheap you're right. For a headache and a sore throat and possibly a little more severe. Would you like your slush funds depleted due to the big C? I cant see that being a cheap un. Unless you have medical insurance

I watch very carefully what I spend in Big C it's Gobal house that's getting my money at the mo. laugh.png

I read that one has to have minimum 7 years contribution to get free nhs treatment,when you at retirement age.

I have checked many times, and as a non resident,and living in Thailand for 12 years, i am not allowed treatment, other than emergency,but chargeable for anything else.

Interesting - I paid about 4 years but when I was a student and unemployed somebody paid for me so now I have over 7 years.

Been away for 20 years but did manage to use the NHS dentist on one return.

Well done. NHS dentistry availability is like the proverbial rocking horse manure. Most NHS dentists will strike you off if you do not visit for 2 years. I know many that ended up on private because they did not pay attention to the rules.

Fortunately in the Sheffield area you can always fall back on the Dental Hospital if you have the time to sit around in the queue.

You knew I would be here and if you go back to UK and want NHS treatment just fall down and lay in the uk terminal when you arrive and a NHS ambulance will come and get you.

Possibly get through customs first then declare your ailments to the world and those around you thumbsup.gif

Thailand is very cheap you're right. For a headache and a sore throat and possibly a little more severe. Would you like your slush funds depleted due to the big C? I cant see that being a cheap un. Unless you have medical insurance

I wouldn't use my funds to treat the Big C, you're as good as dead anyway, even in the West - Steve Jobs, Patrick Swayze etc.

I wouldn't use my funds to treat the Big C, you're as good as dead anyway, even in the West - Steve Jobs, Patrick Swayze etc.

Great optimism, thanks.

It's not always a death sentence.

Those are cases in the eyes of the public.

My mate Ted at 15 years old got nad cancer and he's still going 15 years later.

Others who I know who are older have survived and are living a good quality of life.

Angelina Jolie is fine

I'm sure there are others.

If you're in the late stages then yes maybe but not always if you're positive

:)B)

• Like 2

I watch very carefully what I spend in Big C it's Gobal house that's getting my money at the mo. laugh.png

I know how you feel.

It's had a fortune off of me recently too

B)

• 1 month later...

I am late to this discussion and so apologise. I hope that one of you knowledgeable types will clear this up. I was made aware of the 91 consecutive days or 181 days in any 12 months (which some folks say is not the case). I have trawled through all (I think) postings and it appears to be a very grey area, It seems that so long as you have an NI and/or NHS number and especially if you are already registered with a doctor, you can duck under the radar. However, I also read that there was a white paper this year which states the law will be changed with the suggestion that anyone who had paid NI contributions for at least 12 years will always be eligible. I also checked it out a while back;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/268632/Sustaining_services__ensuring_fairness_-_Government_response_to_consultation_-_Equality_Analysis.pdf

On page 6 there is this statement:

Expatriates (irrespective of nationality)

Expatriates visiting the UK will be immediately entitled to free NHS services if they have previously made the required contribution to the UK (yet to be determined). The specific qualifying criteria will need to be developed but the intention is to make legislative changes in 2014 to this effect.

This has not yet moved forward! Why do I say that, you ask? Because today I asked my UK doctor for a 6 months prescription and he refused asking why and he said you are not entitled to more than 3 months if you out of the country. I tried to reason with him telling him about the white paper, but he refused to acknowledge that and said it wasn't a law. I rang the NHS help line and at first she knew nothing but then came back with the 90 day law and after discussion changed it to "probably" 6 months. I said what happens if it's more than 6 months? She said I would have to re-register. How long would I have to wait? She said you have to prove that you have moved back. I said I have a house here, is that proof? Yes. In other words, in my case, all things staying as they are, I can go away for any length of time!

I am over 65 and paid about 45years NI contributions and entitled to free presciptions as I think over 60 you are? However, I can't get more than 3 months from my doctor - change surgery? But may find the same problem.

Please can anyone tell me (Contrary to my doctor and the NHS helpline) if the white paper was passed, becoming law because I would love to wave a copy in front of my bloody awkward doctor! I would need a website quote, of course..

Thanks

In reality, they won't refuse you service.

In reality they cannot they took the hypocritical oath. They will treat people at point of contact, mean while British people pick up the bill. right or wrong that's another matter.

the other thing is people think because they have paid Ni for years, They should get unlimited treatment. although probably had treatment for years anyway.

Edited by Thongkorn

It is no accident that NHS eligibility comes only after you passed 6 months of UK residency, as does UK tax liability, six months and you are tax resident again!

http://www.cambridgetax.co.uk/ctp/New_Residence_Rules.html

There is no 'six months rule' re NHS eligibility, and this has never been associated with whether or not you pay or have paid UK tax (as opposed to NI).

You can obtain free NHS treatment (a ) if you are able to convince the relevant NHS officers that you intend to resume permanent residence in the UK (b ) if you meet the new conditions on past NI contributions and being in receipt of a pension mentioned earlier in the thread, or (c ) if you are lucky enough to benefit from the general attitude in many NHS hospitals that it is not the business of staff to deny care to other British people - something which admittedly is likely to be tightened up soon.

I am late to this discussion and so apologise. I hope that one of you knowledgeable types will clear this up. I was made aware of the 91 consecutive days or 181 days in any 12 months (which some folks say is not the case). I have trawled through all (I think) postings and it appears to be a very grey area, It seems that so long as you have an NI and/or NHS number and especially if you are already registered with a doctor, you can duck under the radar. However, I also read that there was a white paper this year which states the law will be changed with the suggestion that anyone who had paid NI contributions for at least 12 years will always be eligible. I also checked it out a while back;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/268632/Sustaining_services__ensuring_fairness_-_Government_response_to_consultation_-_Equality_Analysis.pdf

Expatriates visiting the UK will be immediately entitled to free NHS services if they have previously made the required contribution to the UK (yet to be determined). The specific qualifying criteria will need to be developed but the intention is to make legislative changes in 2014 to this effect.

This has not yet moved forward! Why do I say that, you ask? Because today I asked my UK doctor for a 6 months prescription and he refused asking why and he said you are not entitled to more than 3 months if you out of the country. I tried to reason with him telling him about the white paper, but he refused to acknowledge that and said it wasn't a law. I rang the NHS help line and at first she knew nothing but then came back with the 90 day law and after discussion changed it to "probably" 6 months. I said what happens if it's more than 6 months? She said I would have to re-register. How long would I have to wait? She said you have to prove that you have moved back. I said I have a house here, is that proof? Yes. In other words, in my case, all things staying as they are, I can go away for any length of time!

I am over 65 and paid about 45years NI contributions and entitled to free presciptions as I think over 60 you are? However, I can't get more than 3 months from my doctor - change surgery? But may find the same problem.

Please can anyone tell me (Contrary to my doctor and the NHS helpline) if the white paper was passed, becoming law because I would love to wave a copy in front of my bloody awkward doctor! I would need a website quote, of course..

Thanks

You won't get a six month prescription off the NHS anywhere. They're limited to a maximum of 3 months. Apart from anything else they may need to do a medication review to make sure your meds are still appropriate. Most GPs (mine included) will not issue more than 2 months at a time. He may issue a script early if I tell him I'll be away when I need a new one but that's it.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1755.aspx

Edited by sustento

Thanks

You won't get a six month prescription off the NHS anywhere. They're limited to a maximum of 3 months. Apart from anything else they may need to do a medication review to make sure your meds are still appropriate. Most GPs (mine included) will not issue more than 2 months at a time. He may issue a script early if I tell him I'll be away when I need a new one but that's it.

Maybe you are not supposed to, but I know someone who regularly gets either 6 or 9 months. My doctor only calls me in once a year to check my blood pressure (Actually I do it at home, which he accepts). It seems to be down to individual doctors especially as yours only does 2 months - mine had always done 3 and sometimes a month in advance. The practise nurse had advised me to get 6 months and said all the doctor would do was to ring me - boy was she wrong. The practise manager is checking. Talk about a mess and mix of contradictions.

Do you go away for more than 2 months - if so, do you buy the drugs in Thailand and can you get the same drugs (important to me).

I meant to add the quote from the website you gave me (Thank you for that, by the way):

If you're taking a course of medication that will finish during your holiday, then get advice from your GP. They may be able to give you a repeat prescription.

However, this can depend on, for example:

how long your GP thinks you'll continue to need your medication

how often your treatment needs to be reviewed

I think my doctor is being pedantic, because I do not see him more than once a year - so he doesn't check and yet he issues repeat prescription via the internet. I have to go into the surgery to pick it up, but only to reception. Therefore the above exception appears to apply to me. I think it is up to the discretion of the doctor as above which is why my friend can get more than 3 months.

Sorry, I keep hitting "Post" - stupid me!

I noted later on it goes on about 3 months which I think is open to interpretation. Tomorrow I will find out, but it does seem another silly regulation in the case of someone like me who has had the same prescription for years with a constant supply of BP drugs without having my BP tested in the last 3 years. Like I said I test it myself and I'm pleased to say it has come down (as reported to the doctor)

Ho hum! Cheers

Thanks

I have been getting 6 month prescriptions with annual review for several years, picked up the last one a few weeks ago, the doctor knows that I live in Thailand. I order the interim prescription online and my son picks it up.

As a point of information, your NI number will normally appear on any correspondence from the Inland Revenue.

Yep Sandy, it seems a lot of people can, but annoyingly my damn doctor is a job's worth, pedantic, inflexible ................. and so on! I will change surgeries. I never liked the arrogant man who has a real attitude problem anyway and he was hoisted on to me because, he doesn't have enough patients - there's a big surprise! And, he's been at the same surgery for 20 years!

That's my rant out the way!

Yep Sandy, it seems a lot of people can, but annoyingly my damn doctor is a job's worth, pedantic, inflexible ................. and so on! I will change surgeries. I never liked the arrogant man who has a real attitude problem anyway and he was hoisted on to me because, he doesn't have enough patients - there's a big surprise! And, he's been at the same surgery for 20 years!

It is a long time since I have used another practice so I am not sure what the norm is these days. At the practice I use you can choose whichever doctor you want. I book online so I used to pick one of three that was the most convenient. The one I preferred left and one of the other two became a bit offhand when I started to live in Thailand, so I just use the one now.

If you are considering a change then I would suggest you look for one that uses Systemonline, makes life an awful lot easier. I am assuming from your comments that you do not have that at the moment.

Here is some info on it. https://systmonline.tpp-uk.com/help/help.html

It is a long time since I have used another practice so I am not sure what the norm is these days. At the practice I use you can choose whichever doctor you want. I book online so I used to pick one of three that was the most convenient. The one I preferred left and one of the other two became a bit offhand when I started to live in Thailand, so I just use the one now.

If you are considering a change then I would suggest you look for one that uses Systemonline, makes life an awful lot easier. I am assuming from your comments that you do not have that at the moment.

Here is some info on it. https://systmonline.tpp-uk.com/help/help.html

Thank you Sandy - very useful - good to get solid reliable information without sarcasm! My current surgery does allow repeat prescriptions online - but still with a 3 month limit (maybe doctor dependant - I don't know). It is very much first come first served on who you get for an appointment and, as I said, the doctor was dumped on me to handle my routine stuff. The system they use is not the same as the link you have given me but they are introducing a new system from next month that allows no choice - you ring or go in for an appointment and a doctor rings to see if you can have advice without an appointment or arranges one with you - sounds like a long winded system. However, another surgery, near by, does operate Systemonline although I don't know if you can choose which doctor. I will ask that question on my return. I will also see if there is a policy regarding prescriptions or I will need to somehow find the friendly one!

Once again, thanks Sandy.

Bob

l have not paid any NI for a very long time in UK, but l use doctors and hospital when l go back. lf you are British and go to A & E they do not ask for anything other than address. Give any address you like, they do not check. If you are planning to go home and have outpatient treatment use a family member's address; l use my father's and never had a problem. l get prescriptions when l am back, with no problems. Sometimes they will do more checks if you use a hospital near Heathrow. They get the health tourists who are allowed to board flights from all over the world and fly when heavily pregnant, to use our NHS. l am not going to feel bad for not strictly sticking to the rules, as l am sure most of the ex-pats living in Thailand have contributed enough, as have l over the years.

• Like 1